Friday, June 07, 2019

Fox News host Tucker Carlson railed against the metric system of measurement in his show on Wednesday night, describing it as "inelegant" and "creepy." James Panero, a cultural critic and executive editor of The New Criterion, joined Carlson for the segment.

Comments

Where as inches and pounds and such came directly from the earth or the baby jeebus or whatever.

#1 | Posted by MrSilenceDogood at 2019-06-07 01:36 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

Don't firget cubits! Thems is biblical! Gawd said so to Noah!

#2 | Posted by MUSTANG at 2019-06-07 01:49 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

The weight of importance given to plonks and Newsworthy flags is made up.

#3 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2019-06-07 02:07 PM | Reply

"The weight of importance given to plonks and Newsworthy flags is made up."
#3 | POSTED BY SHERP

"He said with a tear in his eye. For nothing Sherp ever posted was newsworthy or funny."

😢

#4 | Posted by ClownShack at 2019-06-07 02:14 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

#4 | POSTED BY CLOWNSHACK

Name sounds made up.

#5 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2019-06-07 02:16 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

Name sounds made up.

All names are.

#6 | Posted by ClownShack at 2019-06-07 02:21 PM | Reply

It's actually a far superior system to the English system nonsense we stick with.

Standards make more sense.

Units of 10 makes more sense.

#7 | Posted by jpw at 2019-06-07 02:48 PM | Reply

Every time I see a still picture of Tucker Carlson he looks like he was just told where babies come from.

#8 | Posted by MrSilenceDogood at 2019-06-07 02:57 PM | Reply

Standards make more sense.
Units of 10 makes more sense.

#7 | POSTED BY JPW

For scientific purposes it absolutely is superior.

For common every day use our antiquated English system is better, especially as it pertains to temperature. Think about it. Zero degrees should feel really cold and it does in our system. In the metric system it's a spring day in Michigan. 35 degrees sounds cold, but in the Metric system it's quite warm. A foot is roughly the size of an average person's foot. We can relate to that measurement. A yard is roughly 1 stride. Again, we can relate.

#9 | Posted by JeffJ at 2019-06-07 03:36 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

The only thing good about the metric system is it is based on 10s for easy math. Back in my younger days I could add inches and fractions of inches in my head. The calculator took that away from me.

#10 | Posted by Sniper at 2019-06-07 03:47 PM | Reply

It's always been abundantly clear, conservative fear and reject change. They have a difficult time learning new concepts. They're generally dumb.

Your gripe is you're unfamiliar with celsius. Therefore we shouldn't attempt to join the rest of the world and learn it.

Well dummy, should we eliminate all knowledge you're uncomfortable with?

Republicans. Real dumb group of people. Stubborn too.

#11 | Posted by ClownShack at 2019-06-07 03:53 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 4

#9 is a a stunning display of confirmation bias.

"It's better because I'm familiar with it!" doesn't really make it better. It makes you its bitch.

#12 | Posted by snoofy at 2019-06-07 04:11 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

"The only thing good about the metric system is it is based on 10s for easy math."

Yeah, good point. There's no value in calling the freezing point of water zero degrees and the boiling point 100 degrees.

#13 | Posted by Hagbard_Celine at 2019-06-07 04:13 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

"A yard is roughly 1 stride. Again, we can relate."

Please tell me you didn't homeschool your kids.

#14 | Posted by snoofy at 2019-06-07 04:25 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

A calculator took snipers math!

That made me laugh out load

#15 | Posted by ChiefTutMoses at 2019-06-07 04:41 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

#9 | Posted by JeffJ

Jesus effin christ...you are, literally, dumb as a bag of hammers.

#16 | Posted by Angrydad at 2019-06-07 05:15 PM | Reply

The metric system is based on things like the distance light travels in a certain time in a vacuum. Or the volume of a certain number of water molecules at a given temperature and pressure.

Sean Hannity is, objectively speaking, a ------.

#17 | Posted by IndianaJones at 2019-06-07 05:28 PM | Reply

"It was imposed at the business end of the guillotine"

Clearly the one imposed by a mad King is superior!

#18 | Posted by snoofy at 2019-06-07 05:29 PM | Reply

The US will never switch when its $10 for 8 M3 screws but 3/16th standards are like $0.50/lb.

#19 | Posted by IndianaJones at 2019-06-07 05:30 PM | Reply

We live in a weird hybrid system, truth be told.

Like when you drive your super manly American Muscle Car, the one with the 5.0 liter engine.

When was the last time an American car company advertised engine displacement in cu.in? Was Gerald Ford President?

#20 | Posted by snoofy at 2019-06-07 05:33 PM | Reply

Trivia time. The most missing socket in a mechanics toolbox is the 10mm socket.

#21 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2019-06-07 05:36 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

For bicycle mechanics it's the 6mm hex.
But of course, I would expect most bikes are made in China.

#22 | Posted by snoofy at 2019-06-07 05:41 PM | Reply

Me personally I'll stick to inches. I like it better.

#23 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2019-06-07 05:50 PM | Reply

#20 Cadillac is switching to Newton Meters for their "engine displacement" since engines and displacement are going away with electric cars.

#24 | Posted by IndianaJones at 2019-06-07 05:58 PM | Reply

#21 Always rolls away. Or mysteriously turns into an 8 as soon as I'm under the car.

#25 | Posted by IndianaJones at 2019-06-07 05:59 PM | Reply

#23 well for those of us with a fifth appendage metric is better.

5 cm sounds more impressive than the English *ahem* length...

#26 | Posted by jpw at 2019-06-07 06:08 PM | Reply

A yard is roughly 1 stride. Again, we can relate.

#9 | POSTED BY JEFFJ

Are you sure it isn't roughly 1 meter?

#27 | Posted by MrSilenceDogood at 2019-06-07 06:41 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

@#10 ... Back in my younger days I could add inches and fractions of inches in my head. The calculator took that away from me....

After I had started using calculators, when I filled up the car with gas I used to figure out the mileage per gallon in my head, just to keep my mental arithmetic working.

#28 | Posted by LampLighter at 2019-06-07 09:15 PM | Reply

@#9 ... For common every day use our antiquated English system is better,...

Maybe we should switch bottled soda back from half liter, liter and two liter bottles to quarts and half-gallons?

Funny how the world didn't end when the soda industry switched to metric for bottled soda.

Of course, bottled soda is such a niche product....

#29 | Posted by LampLighter at 2019-06-07 09:20 PM | Reply

fwiw, to me, it looks more like Mr Carlson was looking more for controversy to rev up his viewers, than for having any manner of real discussion.

#30 | Posted by LampLighter at 2019-06-07 09:23 PM | Reply

Mr. Carlson gives us another example of how stupid white supremacists are.

#31 | Posted by mikebank at 2019-06-07 09:54 PM | Reply

Who controls the British crown?
Who keeps the metric system down?
We do, we do!

#32 | Posted by Tor at 2019-06-08 12:22 AM | Reply | Funny: 2

#17 I don't care either way, but let's not pretend that both metric and standard are anything other than arbitrary.

The metre was originally defined in 1793 as one ten-millionth of the distance from the equator to the North Pole – as a result the Earth's circumference is approximately 40,000 km today. In 1799, it was redefined in terms of a prototype metre bar (the actual bar used was changed in 1889). In 1960, the metre was redefined in terms of a certain number of wavelengths of a certain emission line of krypton-86. In 1983, the current definition [the length of the path travelled by light in a vacuum in 1/299792458 of a second] was adopted.

#33 | Posted by MUSTANG at 2019-06-08 07:03 AM | Reply | Funny: 1

Only in the United States is stupidity like this rewarded.

#34 | Posted by bayviking at 2019-06-08 09:47 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

When I was a kid if anyone spoke such nonsense he would not be permitted to spout his crap in front of students or the public, at least not through some venue.

#35 | Posted by rosemountbomber at 2019-06-08 09:49 AM | Reply

I would think conservatives would want to switch to the metric system as soon as possible.

After all 7.62 cm seems like a much larger number than 3 inches. They could finally sound impressive to their womenfolk.

#36 | Posted by TaoWarrior at 2019-06-08 11:17 AM | Reply | Funny: 1

That was funny as hell. At least a few people still a sense of humor.

#37 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2019-06-08 04:02 PM | Reply

I swear I can't even measure this joke. He even blamed France.

#38 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2019-06-08 04:06 PM | Reply

#29 | Posted by LampLighter

Wait, the world didn't end? I'm still here? ----.

#39 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2019-06-08 04:13 PM | Reply

Zero degrees should feel really cold and it does in our system.

Right, water should freeze at zero degrees.

#40 | Posted by pirate at 2019-06-08 06:03 PM | Reply

Right, water should freeze at zero degrees.
#40 | POSTED BY PIRATE

Not 32 degrees Fahrenheit?

What about boiling water? It shouldn't be 212 degrees Fahrenheit?

100 Celsius you say?

No! I'm unfamiliar with this concept! Hide it forever and kill all who know of it.

#41 | Posted by ClownShack at 2019-06-08 06:08 PM | Reply

Oh and engine sizes are in litres now. What sounds more manly to you?? I have a 5.7 litre or I have a 350??? I have a 4.3 litre or I have a 262 I have a 5.0 litre or I have a 302/305/307?? I'll stick to CID's thank you very much.

#42 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2019-06-08 08:37 PM | Reply

Canada switched to metric just when I was starting to drive. I'm really stuck in a strange blend of both. Metric I got used to for temperature but distance and weights didn't convert so well for me.

And pool cues... why are weights in ounces but tip size in millimeters?

#43 | Posted by REDIAL at 2019-06-08 08:49 PM | Reply

"Screw health care. How ‘bout some legislation making smug truculent ignorance a crime? I know. We'd need prisons the size of Montana."

Will Durst