Tuesday, July 23, 2019

On Saturday morning, a Lynnfield resident [in Massachusetts] took a powerful magnet attached to a rope and tossed it into Pillings Pond to see what would come up. Within minutes, the magnet latched onto something. He hauled in the rope, eager to see what he caught. As he pulled it in, he looked at the end of the rope, and there, stuck to the magnet, was an Uzi submachine gun. ... Soon enough, he pulled out another gun from the pond. In total five firearms were recovered, including a .40 caliber Glock handgun; a Colt Cobra revolver; a revolver that had significant corrosion; and an semi-automatic handgun with significant corrosion.

Alternate links: Google News | Twitter

I didn't know what magnet fishing was. A web search brought me to this 16-minute video from Daniel Bowens, which is worth watching in full because of two unexpected incidents.

Comments

When I was a wee lad, there was this toy everyone played with.... colorful plastic fish with metal in the nose/mouth... and a "fishing rod" with a magnet.

All us kids would spread around the fish and go to some high point and then "fish" with the magnets and chat about stuff. LOL

Nice video.

#1 | Posted by J_Tremain at 2019-07-24 08:20 AM | Reply

Might help solve a few murders.

#2 | Posted by bayviking at 2019-07-24 11:21 AM | Reply

I have a coworker that took up magnet fishing this spring. He "caught" a lot of things most notably a safe and a .22 rifle so far. Safe didn't have anything worth while in it. He called the police about the rifle and had to wait for them to show up. It wasn't a priority for them so a long wait. I hadn't heard of it until he started doing it.

#3 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2019-07-24 12:11 PM | Reply

I have an old friend from high school who magnet fishes old log ponds at shut down lumber and plywood mills. I can't even count the number of axe heads he's found.

#4 | Posted by MUSTANG at 2019-07-24 03:54 PM | Reply

Pretty cool.

Make a plastic magnet and we can start to clean this world up.

#5 | Posted by snoofy at 2019-07-24 03:56 PM | Reply

It reminds me of old fogies walking down the beach with those metal detectors searching for treasure hidden just beneath the sand. Most of the time they ended up with bits of aluminum foil.

Magnet fishing does sound pretty cool, especially in murky water.

#6 | Posted by JeffJ at 2019-07-24 04:02 PM | Reply

I'll make a bet that those firearms were used in crimes. Firearms are tossed only when they can implicate guilt by possession. Gangbanger's would just sell the hot piece to some idiot, so this is a dump for mob activity.

#7 | Posted by docnjo at 2019-07-25 01:15 AM | Reply

#6 for a while I was into watching YouTube channels of metal detectors (fossil hunters too, those were pretty cool) and they found some pretty cool stuff.

Granted, they weren't doing it on any old public beach. The best channel was an amateur historian who would try to find records of minor skirmishes or smaller battles from the civil war and attempt to find those sites. He'd metal detect in creeks and pull out dozens of minie balls, buttons, belt buckles and the occasional musket or sharps carbine.

#8 | Posted by jpw at 2019-07-25 07:51 AM | Reply

It reminds me of old fogies walking down the beach

I do the same thing with me phone.

People think I look daft but sod them, I say.

#9 | Posted by J_Tremain at 2019-07-25 08:12 AM | Reply

This is the app I usually use.

i.postimg.cc

And this is all I was able to find last month:

i.postimg.cc

I think they are a ball bearing taken apart.

#10 | Posted by J_Tremain at 2019-07-25 08:22 AM | Reply

#10 | Posted by J_Tremain, Those are bearing races.

#11 | Posted by docnjo at 2019-07-26 08:58 AM | Reply