Sunday, August 04, 2019

It's becoming standard procedure that extreme weather events will quickly be analyzed by the World Weather Attribution team -- a group of climate scientists who estimate the influence of climate change on individual events. But even so, covering fresh results on a record-breaking European heatwave is jarring, given that we did the same thing just one month ago.

Comments

I'm hoping that dinosaurs make a comeback.

#1 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2019-08-04 01:39 AM | Reply

Doomed. What is there to do..

#2 | Posted by GOnoles92 at 2019-08-04 07:37 AM | Reply

Doomed. What is there to do..

#2 | Posted by GOnoles92

One typically starts by acknowledging there is an actual problem.

#3 | Posted by jpw at 2019-08-04 10:21 AM | Reply

For the past 4 day's, 12 billion tons, per day, of ice melt water has disappeared from the Greenland ice sheet. The heat bubble is expected to travel further north into the arctic. The arctic ice shelf has experienced its largest ever loss this year. Antarctica is faring no better. The thaw that is occurring in the tundra and peat bogs is releasing hundreds of thousands of tons of carbon dioxide and methane, every hour. At least equal to the industrial output of human activity. The massive forest fires burning out of control in Siberia, Alaska and Northern Canada are putting out hundreds of thousand of tons of carbon dioxide every hour as well.

Scientists are frantically trying to update their models.

What is happening now exceeds all the worst case models released last year at the Paris climate conference. And it is getting worse by the minute.

This is an extinction event unfolding.

Look for an emergency meeting of the entire body of the UN shortly. It will be a closed session.

#4 | Posted by gitmboy at 2019-08-04 11:03 AM | Reply

but what can they do?
if you were to stop all emissions immediately...it's not like the planet would respond with all new glaciers next winter.
AOC's "green new deal" gets a bad rap, I think, because repubs paint it as being an immediate complete expenditure of overall long term PROjected costs, when it's meant to be a possible game plan but not set in stone.
I've seen it mentioned before on the DR, that we'd ought to start by just cleaning up our trash and trying to minimize new trash creation. sounds right to me.
I think the real fun will begin if and when temperature change and subsequent ice melt starts drastically changing the prevailing ocean currents. we ain't seen nothin' yet

#5 | Posted by MizWatsonsJim at 2019-08-04 11:30 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Last winter, cold temperatures were breaking records in Europe.
I wonder why that doesn't get reported.

"Coldest June 11 in central England in more than 141 years"
www.iceagenow.info

"Record cold in Moscow and Moscow Region"
www.iceagenow.info

"Accelerating toward cold" Pay attention to the chart.
www.iceagenow.info

When it's a choice between politics and climate change, I'll take my chances with climate change.

#6 | Posted by Ray at 2019-08-04 11:36 AM | Reply

#6 | Posted by Ray

As if we needed more proof that you're a moron, but thanks, we'll add that to the pile.

#7 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2019-08-04 11:40 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

but what can they do?

#5 | Posted by MizWatsonsJim

Step 1 - stop listening to the people who kept us from addressing the problem 30 years ago.

The same morons who said it wasn't happening are now saying it's too late so why bother.

#8 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2019-08-04 11:41 AM | Reply

#7 | POSTED BY SPEAKSOFTLY

LOL! I can't imagine one reason why libs would think favorably of me.

#9 | Posted by Ray at 2019-08-04 11:56 AM | Reply

Here in Connecticut, last month we had the all-time hottest month on record (records kept since 1905).

Hottest average temperatures for July:

2019: 78.2 (all-time hottest for any month of the year)
2013: 77.9
1994: 77.1
2010: 77.1
1955: 77.0
1949: 76.8

The top 3 are in the past ten years, the top four are in the past 25 years.

#10 | Posted by LampLighter at 2019-08-04 12:01 PM | Reply

I'll take my chances with climate change.

This is why I can't just have a "you believe what you want, I'll believe what I want" kind of discussion with you.

We're literally talking survival of life as we know it. If we're not going to actively oppose intellectual boulders like Ray, we at least need to step over them and keep moving.

Ray completely buys into Conspiracy thinking -- until the actual Conspiracy involves oil companies covering up proof of AGW and promoting a "Roadmap to Victory" by obfuscating available research. You're the pawn they're talking about Ray. www.ucsusa.org

#11 | Posted by zarnon at 2019-08-04 12:29 PM | Reply

We're literally talking survival of life as we know it.

This is why I can't have a discussion with you .... This just isn't true.....

#12 | Posted by AndreaMackris at 2019-08-04 12:34 PM | Reply

#11 | POSTED BY ZARNON

We're literally talking survival of life as we know it.

I have to laugh at your fearmongering.

Your problem is that you don't know the difference between political science and objective science. Your link is a good example.

Ray completely buys into Conspiracy thinking

Only in your imagination. I start by assuming politics destroys everything it touches. And I'm always right.

#13 | Posted by Ray at 2019-08-04 12:40 PM | Reply

LOL! I can't imagine one reason why libs would think favorably of me.

#9 | Posted by Ray

We agree. I can't imagine one reason why intelligent people would think favorably of you.

#14 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2019-08-04 02:12 PM | Reply

And I'm always right.

#13 | Posted by Ray

AHAHAHAAHAHAHAH

DOW 1400!!!!!!

#15 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2019-08-04 02:12 PM | Reply

DOW 1400!!!!!!

#15 | POSTED BY SPEAKSOFTLY

Is that all? You ignoramuses are wrong every day and too dense to see it.

#16 | Posted by Ray at 2019-08-04 02:18 PM | Reply

Is that all? You ignoramuses are wrong every day and too dense to see it.

#16 | Posted by Ray

Hang on ray, are you always right or did the dow drop to 1400?

Which one is it, cause it aint both?

#17 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2019-08-04 02:20 PM | Reply

#17 | POSTED BY SPEAKSOFTLY

Oh horrors of horrors! Ray made a bad prediction ten years ago.

If that's the best you can do, you have to be desperate.

You even had to take my post out of context. The subject was about politics.

"I start by assuming politics destroys everything it touches. And I'm always right."

#18 | Posted by Ray at 2019-08-04 02:33 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

It's easy to fix the climate. First, six billion of us have to voluntarily cease to exist. The remaining billion have to agree to live like the Amish. In about a hundred years the climate will return to 'normal'.

#19 | Posted by visitor_ at 2019-08-04 04:32 PM | Reply

#19 | Posted by visitor_

Or just get off fossil fuels. But that would require upsetting republican donors, which is worse than destroying the climate.

#20 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2019-08-04 04:45 PM | Reply

" You ignoramuses are wrong every day and too dense to see it."

And how would you describe Ray 1400?

Was he "too dense to see it"? Was he an "ignoramus"? Because some of us thought he was back then.

Tell us...what happen, exactly, that made you realize Ray 1400 was "wrong every day"?

#21 | Posted by Danforth at 2019-08-04 04:49 PM | Reply

My link wasn't about science at all you nit-wit. It was about the lack of science and propaganda freely admitted to by documents by Exxon and other major oil companies. These documents' accuracy have never been refuted by the original sources.

You are projecting. Because the only one who has got sucked down the Conspiracy rabbit hole is you.

Your AGW climate conspiracy is the one that has no legs, not shred of evidence, but you cling to it like a piece of wood off the Titanic. You pretend to be some careful unmasker of the truth but you ignore it when it's smack in your gullible gobber.

#22 | Posted by zarnon at 2019-08-04 04:52 PM | Reply

My link wasn't about science at all you nit-wit.
#22 | POSTED BY ZARNON

I guess I have to repeat myself.

#23 | Posted by Ray at 2019-08-04 05:17 PM | Reply

#21 | POSTED BY DANFORTH

You honor me with your ad hominems.

#24 | Posted by Ray at 2019-08-04 05:21 PM | Reply

If the wealthiest and most famous among us can't solve this issue by traveling in private jets and mega-yachts to a gathering in a exclusive and environmentally sensitve area, what chance do we?

#25 | Posted by visitor_ at 2019-08-04 07:37 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

"You honor me with your ad hominems."

It's not ad hominem. It's a flat-out question. When did you realize you were the guy in the doomsday sandwich board, so you decided to stop relying on the sources that led you to Dow 1400?

#26 | Posted by Danforth at 2019-08-04 11:10 PM | Reply

This is why I can't have a discussion with you .... This just isn't true.....

#12 | POSTED BY ANDREAMACKRIS

Really? You think mass extinction in the oceans will have little effect on we land dwellers?

#27 | Posted by jpw at 2019-08-06 09:19 AM | Reply

Is that all? You ignoramuses are wrong every day and too dense to see it.

#16 | POSTED BY RAY

Dunning-Krueger in the hooooooouuuusseee!

#28 | Posted by jpw at 2019-08-06 09:21 AM | Reply