Tuesday, August 06, 2019

They're confirming judges who want to render us powerless to stop mass shootings ... the Senate operates as "an approval factory" for Donald Trump's judicial nominees, the Times found. Under Trump, the Senate has confirmed two Supreme Court justices, 99 district courts judges, and 43 federal court of appeals judges. Today, nearly 1 in 4 judges on the powerful courts of appeals was nominated by Trump. The president is reshaping the judiciary in the image of the Republican Party's far-right conservative wing.

Comments

" All available evidence confirms that the guns are the problem: The United States' patchwork of lax firearms laws allows Americans to slaughter civilians with astonishing ease. To stop mass shootings, lawmakers will need to tighten both federal and state gun laws, which Republicans refuse to do."

This article is about judges, Bruce. There's no mention of "White Supremacy" or Nazi's AT ALL!

Thread sucks.

#1 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2019-08-06 02:16 PM | Reply

Sorry it talks about policy and government. Not your usual Democrat scare topics.

#2 | Posted by BruceBanner at 2019-08-06 02:52 PM | Reply

#1 I think he was expecting you to knock the GOP for not doing their jobs and legislating.

#3 | Posted by jpw at 2019-08-06 03:39 PM | Reply

Senate republicans don't appear to be doing anything other than not screwing with the radical gun plan outlined in the BoR...

#4 | Posted by madbomber at 2019-08-06 03:43 PM | Reply

"the radical gun plan outlined in the BoR"

This plan?
"Over half of female victims of intimate partner homicide in the US are killed with a gun."
everytownresearch.org

#5 | Posted by snoofy at 2019-08-06 05:03 PM | Reply

OK, laws seldom change a damn thing. It didn't stop people drinking, it didn't stop people smoking pot, it didn't stop people doing heavy drugs. So you think your gun ban is going to prevent people from getting firearms? Hell's bells if a convict in federal prison can get heroin, do you think a thug can't get a pistol? There is a limit to the power of government, that is not a bad thing.

#6 | Posted by docnjo at 2019-08-06 08:11 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Activist judges appointed by an illegitimate POTUS and a traitorous Senate, elected by and representing a minority of the country. Yay America!

#7 | Posted by chuffy at 2019-08-06 08:47 PM | Reply

So you think your gun ban is going to prevent people from getting firearms?

I don't know what gun ban you're talking about, but stricter laws regarding the acquisition of firearms has a measurable effect in reducing gun violence. So yes. Time to end the BS.

#8 | Posted by chuffy at 2019-08-06 08:51 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

#8 | Posted by chuffy Don't be naive. Criminals do do not obey gun laws.

#9 | Posted by docnjo at 2019-08-06 09:42 PM | Reply | Funny: 1 | Newsworthy 1

Are you advocating lawlessness? If someone breaks a law, then we remove the law? If so, empty the prisons and open the border.

#10 | Posted by BruceBanner at 2019-08-06 09:54 PM | Reply

#10 | Posted by BruceBanner Yea, but the vast majority of us can't hire private security like the liberal elites. Guns are fine for them, but not for you.

#11 | Posted by docnjo at 2019-08-06 10:18 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

"Criminals do do not obey gun laws."

Do criminals obey atom bomb laws?

#12 | Posted by snoofy at 2019-08-06 10:18 PM | Reply

How about nuclear, chemical and biological attack laws.
Do criminals obey them?

#13 | Posted by snoofy at 2019-08-06 10:19 PM | Reply

Snoofy, still the ad absurdum king.

I'll spell out the obvious for you. I love teaching people things.

I hope his helps. If not, remember, I'm here to answer any question for you, no matter how stupid.

#14 | Posted by goatman at 2019-08-06 10:28 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

#13 -- Granted, criminals ain't very bright, but I think even they know that robbing a liquor store with a nuke is kind of self defeating. So there's that as well.

#15 | Posted by goatman at 2019-08-06 10:33 PM | Reply

Snoofy, still the ad absurdum king.
I'll spell out the obvious for you. I love teaching people things.
#14 | POSTED BY GOATMAN AT 2019-08-06 10:28 PM

WOW, what a profitable de-regulated industry held almost exclusively inside of the United States.

Gee, I hope the NRA doesn't bribe our government into regulating their corporate persons who profit from manufacturing because that would be harming American "citizens", right?

#16 | Posted by redlightrobot at 2019-08-06 10:34 PM | Reply

"There are about 300,000,000 firearms in the US, and they are very easily accessible and obtainable. The US has about 6,125 nuclear warheads, all under very strong guard and completely inaccesible to the general public. So yes, criminals do obey nuclear warhead laws because they have no choice."

Exactly.

It's not really about obeying the law, it's about the prevalence of firearms.

#17 | Posted by snoofy at 2019-08-06 10:35 PM | Reply

""Criminals do do not obey gun laws."

Do criminals obey atom bomb laws?

#12 | POSTED BY SNOOFY "

Thinks "True Lies" was a documentary

#18 | Posted by goatman at 2019-08-06 10:36 PM | Reply

"There are about 300,000,000 firearms in the US, and they are very easily accessible and obtainable."

^
This right here is why there's more gun violence in America than in the other modern countries.

It's because firearms are very easily accessible and obtainable in the United States, compared to the rest of the modern world.

#19 | Posted by snoofy at 2019-08-06 10:36 PM | Reply

"Gee, I hope the NRA doesn't bribe our government... "

Yu already said they bribed Trump to veto a bill they didn't like. I'm still wating for a citation for thar, redlightrobot.

#20 | Posted by goatman at 2019-08-06 10:38 PM | Reply

Snoofy is suddenly an expert on why there is more gun violence in the US when then minutes ago he couldnt figure out why criminals don't use nukes. LOL

#21 | Posted by goatman at 2019-08-06 10:40 PM | Reply

Oh, I could figure out.
Just had to prime the pump first.

#22 | Posted by snoofy at 2019-08-06 10:42 PM | Reply

#12 | Posted by snoofy, go ahead and try to acquire the required materials, it isn't easy. Then there is the requirement of making that material go to critical mass. It took thousands of people three years to figure out that. Want a nuclear weapon, there is a place outside of Amarillo Texas called Pantex. Every device in our inventory goes there every so often to get maintenance. Expect about 200 are there at any time. Then there is the trucks that deliver them, just expect a serious armed response. They will shoot to kill just for jumping their fence.

#23 | Posted by docnjo at 2019-08-06 10:42 PM | Reply

"#12 | Posted by snoofy, go ahead and try to acquire the required materials, it isn't easy."

No need.

#24 | Posted by snoofy at 2019-08-06 10:43 PM | Reply

Thanks Democrats!

#25 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2019-08-06 10:44 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

#24 -- you could have five times that number of guns or five times less, but as long as the number of deranged and psychotic people remains the same, so will the number of mass shootings. GUns don't shoot themselves.

#26 | Posted by goatman at 2019-08-06 10:45 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

#24 | Posted by snoofy That also means that about 2,999,970 of the firearms available were not used in committing any crime what so ever.

#27 | Posted by docnjo at 2019-08-06 10:46 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

#27 | Posted by docnjo, excuse me, 2,999,999,970 weapons.

#28 | Posted by docnjo at 2019-08-06 10:47 PM | Reply

"Oh, I could figure out.
Just had to prime the pump first.

#22 | POSTED BY SNOOFY "

I guess that's sort of a nice way to say "troll"

#29 | Posted by goatman at 2019-08-06 10:48 PM | Reply

The Socratic method, also known as method of Elenchus, elenctic method, or Socratic debate, is a form of cooperative argumentative dialogue between individuals, based on asking and answering questions to stimulate critical thinking and to draw out ideas and underlying presuppositions.

#30 | Posted by snoofy at 2019-08-06 10:49 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

#30 It's still trolling. Does that method understand putting lipstick on a pig?

#31 | Posted by goatman at 2019-08-06 10:50 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

"That also means that about 2,999,970 of the firearms available were not used in committing any crime what so ever.
#27 | POSTED BY DOCNJO"

That also means that about 3,000 of the airplanes in the sky on the morning of 9/11, 2,996 were not used in commuting any crimes whatsoever.

#32 | Posted by snoofy at 2019-08-06 10:50 PM | Reply

#32 -- excellent point, snoofy. Proof it is the person with the weapon in his hand (jet or gun) and not the weapon itself. You're coming around! Good on you!

#33 | Posted by goatman at 2019-08-06 10:53 PM | Reply

"Proof it is the person with the weapon in his hand (jet or gun) and not the weapon itself."

No one has ever argued otherwise.

By that same token, the universal difficulty in obtaining CBN devices explains why CBN attacks aren't viewed as a bigger problem here, compared to elsewhere.

#34 | Posted by snoofy at 2019-08-06 10:57 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

"you could have five times that number of guns or five times less, but as long as the number of deranged and psychotic people remains the same, so will the number of mass shootings."

Five times?
Why not fifty times, or 300,000,000 times?

I don't think anyone is going to disagree with that.

#35 | Posted by snoofy at 2019-08-06 11:01 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

"No one has ever argued otherwise."

You're not paying attention if you think that.

#36 | Posted by goatman at 2019-08-06 11:01 PM | Reply

"The ease with which people can obtain weapons explains we have more gun violence than other modern countries."

Well, duh. THe ease with which car owners get automobiles explains why there are more auto related deaths of car owners.

#37 | Posted by goatman at 2019-08-06 11:04 PM | Reply

"If we had 300,000,000 times fewer guns, there would have to be far fewer mass shootings."

DUh. ANd the king of ad absurdum speaks again. Or is this the Socratic thing again?

#38 | Posted by goatman at 2019-08-06 11:05 PM | Reply

---- Mitch McConnell and his blocking of Obama's judicial appointees, including a SC justice.

I can't wait to read that MF had a stroke that rendered him paralyzed.

#39 | Posted by AMERICANUNITY at 2019-08-06 11:19 PM | Reply

#37 | Posted by goatman

And you seem to have figured out why limiting access and the number of firearms out there is a prime objective for many.

#40 | Posted by jpw at 2019-08-06 11:20 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

#39 That's awful. Hateful even. Almost a 'red flag'.

#41 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2019-08-06 11:21 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

"...limiting access and the number of firearms out there is a prime objective for many."
#40 | POSTED BY JPW

You, for instance?

#42 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2019-08-06 11:22 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

That's awful. Hateful even. Almost a 'red flag'.

Posted by SheepleSchism

Too bad. Eye for an eye. Mcconnell's a hateful -----.

#43 | Posted by AMERICANUNITY at 2019-08-06 11:24 PM | Reply

#37 | POSTED BY GOATMAN AT 2019-08-06 11:04 PM

Compared to whom? Other nations? Non-car owners? What a stupid argument. Literally, I expect more and better. You're getting owned pretty bad here, dude, and it couldn't have been without your acceptance of such prevalence of firearms, imo. Good job?

Anyhow, if this is the best you can provide, why not check out the UFO thread on the back page? We can betchslap each other around like we know anything useful and not look any more crazy than comparing vehicular homicide versus any gun for mass murder.:]

#44 | Posted by redlightrobot at 2019-08-06 11:25 PM | Reply

"I can't wait to read that MF had a stroke that rendered him paralyzed.

#39 | POSTED BY AMERICANUNITY "

And another loving democrat shows his and his party's true colors.

I wouldn't wish that sort of thing on anyone. But I'm just a right wing hater, right? LOL

#45 | Posted by goatman at 2019-08-06 11:28 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 3

#42 | POSTED BY SHEEPLESCHISM

I agree with this whole hardheartedly ... JPW is an unstable individual ....

#46 | Posted by AndreaMackris at 2019-08-06 11:28 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

You, for instance?

#42 | Posted by SheepleSchism

My primary arguments have always been for proper enforcement of existing laws, including properly funding the NICS database.

There are so many holes in the system it's hard to tell what's a hole that needs real work and what needs a patch.

#47 | Posted by jpw at 2019-08-06 11:31 PM | Reply

Too bad. Eye for an eye. Mcconnell's a hateful -----.
#43 | POSTED BY AMERICANUNITY

AU as well .. doesn't seem to stable ...

RCADE Please add a new flag RED ...

#48 | Posted by AndreaMackris at 2019-08-06 11:32 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

#42 | POSTED BY SHEEPLESCHISM

I agree with this whole hardheartedly ... JPW is an unstable individual ....

#46 | Posted by AndreaMackris

He was insinuating that I was all for gun bans...I think.

As for your ridiculous assertion you mistake me not being a ------- ------ as being unstable.

#49 | Posted by jpw at 2019-08-06 11:32 PM | Reply

And another loving democrat shows his and his party's true colors.

I see you didn't lose that broad brush during your time off.

#50 | Posted by jpw at 2019-08-06 11:33 PM | Reply

#45 | Posted by goatman

Since you never criticize Republicans, yes, you probably are.

A lot of deaths are on McConnell.

- Trying to take away health insurance from millions
- Standing in the way of common sense gun measures like Universal Background checks.
- Doing everything he could to thwart Obama's presidency in the middle of an economic meltdown.

#51 | Posted by AMERICANUNITY at 2019-08-06 11:34 PM | Reply

#50, in my eyes, it's not a broad brush. I've never seen a more hateful group of people than those who call themselves Democrats. Perhaps your milage varies, but that is my observation.

#52 | Posted by goatman at 2019-08-06 11:36 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

#47 | POSTED BY JPW

So you'd consider yourself pro-assault rifle and 100 round mag?

#53 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2019-08-06 11:37 PM | Reply

AU, first of all, don't start the "I never criticize republicans thing again. Every time you've said it in the past, I have proven your wront.

Secondly, whether I criticize them or not is irrelevant to your hateful post. Don't deflect from it by invoking your imaginary views of what I say or don't say. I can't believe anyone, left or right, would wish someone paralyzed. You're sick to even think such a thint, much less post it proudly.

#54 | Posted by goatman at 2019-08-06 11:39 PM | Reply

You're full of ----.

Plonked

#55 | Posted by AMERICANUNITY at 2019-08-06 11:40 PM | Reply | Funny: 2

No, you haven't. Mr. "independent" has always criticized Democrats over Republicans.

Anyway, you're plonked now. Have fun obfuscating and playing mental gymnastics with someone else.

#56 | Posted by AMERICANUNITY at 2019-08-06 11:41 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

"You're full of ----.
Plonked

#55 | POSTED BY AMERICANUNITY "

I'd much better be full of ---- than full of so much hate that I would wish someone paralyzed. But to each their own.

Now excuse me while I go have myself a good bawl over the plonk. LOL

#57 | Posted by goatman at 2019-08-06 11:43 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

"Ya, I stand by my hope he's rendered incapacitated. It'd serve him right. He has no compassion for anyone else, so, F him!

#51 | POSTED BY AMERICANUNITY "

Sick.

#58 | Posted by goatman at 2019-08-06 11:44 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

The plonk are ear plugs for the weak.

#59 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2019-08-06 11:45 PM | Reply | Funny: 1 | Newsworthy 1

#58 -- I don't know if he plonked me or not, but I do know that all the other times he killfiled me, he always refered to posts of mine and to me in the third person. I guess he has someone in his pocket who hasn't killfiled me saying, "Did you hear Goatman's latest." It happened many times. People who genuinely killfile someone does it without grandstanding.

At any rate, I have zero respect for a person wishing paralysis on a person and even doubling down on it!

#60 | Posted by goatman at 2019-08-06 11:52 PM | Reply

What's hateful and actually damaging is a president who refers to ethnic groups in animal terms. What's hateful is a Senate majority leader who's never called Trump out on his outrageous rhetoric.

Spare us your outrage, snowflakes. Go find the moral compass you lost years ago.

You never say a bad word about a president who demonizes entire groups of Americans every chance he gets. Who's lowered the bar on what's acceptable in our society. Who's given the green light to commit assault, even offering to pay legal fees. Whose followers massacre large numbers of people because he's made hate speech and prejudice acceptable to millions in this country.

Who, along with Massacre Mitch tried to take away health insurance for Americans who rely on it to live.

Snowflakes like ANDREA and others just whine about Democrats. Ya, spare me your outrage.

#61 | Posted by AMERICANUNITY at 2019-08-06 11:52 PM | Reply

#52 | Posted by goatman

Nice. Say something stupid then assert objective reality doesn't exist in order to maintain the stupid initial assertion.

Good to see you haven't changed one bit LOL

#62 | Posted by jpw at 2019-08-06 11:52 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

So you'd consider yourself pro-assault rifle and 100 round mag?

#53 | Posted by SheepleSchism

I see nothing wrong with an AR with a 5 or 10 round magazine.

100 round magazine are for idiots.

#63 | Posted by jpw at 2019-08-06 11:54 PM | Reply

"The massacres will continue" - JPW

#64 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2019-08-06 11:57 PM | Reply

#52 | POSTED BY GOATMAN AT 2019-08-06 11:36 PM | FLAG: | NEWSWORTHY 1

99% of acts of domestic terrorism and mass murder are Republicans.

You apparently don't "observe" 99% of the problem.

#65 | Posted by redlightrobot at 2019-08-06 11:58 PM | Reply

"jpw said:

Say something stupid ..."

Stupid is subjective. Thank you for your opinion. HOwever, I stand by my obeservations regardless what an anonymous blog poster thinks of them. Personally, I think people who are intolerant of other people's views and resort to ad hominem to lash out at them are pretty weak. But of course my opinion, like yours, is subjective.

#66 | Posted by goatman at 2019-08-07 12:01 AM | Reply | Funny: 1

Massacre Mitch puts his Opponents Name on a Tombstone

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) is being criticized after his reelection campaign put up a tombstone-shaped sign with his Democratic challenger's name on it and the date of death listed as the 2020 election.

www.drudge.com

#67 | Posted by AMERICANUNITY at 2019-08-07 12:01 AM | Reply

"The massacres will continue" - JPW

You sound like snoofy.

#68 | Posted by jpw at 2019-08-07 12:01 AM | Reply | Funny: 2

#66 | Posted by goatman

LOL have a good night.

#69 | Posted by jpw at 2019-08-07 12:02 AM | Reply

"99% of acts of domestic terrorism and mass murder are Republicans.

#65 | POSTED BY REDLIGHTROBOT"

CItation needed.

#70 | Posted by goatman at 2019-08-07 12:03 AM | Reply

Think about all the red states that didn't enact Medicaid expansion and the people who died as a result. The people who've been killed because Massacre Mitch hasn't let any common sense gun control measures (that even NRA members support!) come to the floor for a vote.

That tells you all you need to know about Republicans and compassion and moral values and being 'pro life.'

#71 | Posted by AMERICANUNITY at 2019-08-07 12:04 AM | Reply

"Guess Goatman and Andrea and Sheeple snowflakes missed this. Too busy listening to their own voices:"

???

YOu mean just because we didn't wish someone paralyzed you think we miss current events? What an uttery bizarre leap of logic.

#72 | Posted by goatman at 2019-08-07 12:05 AM | Reply

- the red states that didn't enact Medicaid expansion and the people who died as a result

All the people that Jesus healed are dead today,

#73 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2019-08-07 12:06 AM | Reply

"Think about all the red states that didn't enact Medicaid expansion ..."

And then think about all the lefties who say hateful things like they want to see someone paralyzed.

What is your point americanunity?

#74 | Posted by goatman at 2019-08-07 12:07 AM | Reply

What other?

Citations necessary.

#75 | Posted by jpw at 2019-08-07 12:09 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

I have no problem with any president referring to the gang members known as MS-13 in animal terms.

I get it. Trump is a vile POS. That doesn't excuse accusing him of casting ALL Mexicans in animal terms when he was very clearly talking about MS-13 gang members.

#76 | Posted by JeffJ at 2019-08-07 12:10 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

"No one has ever argued otherwise."
You're not paying attention if you think that"

Very possibly.

I can't imagine paying any serious attention to the argument that guns are killing people without human involvement.

Honestly that doesn't sound like an argument at all. It sounds like something childish that little Sniper would say; not worth paying attention to, and obviously fatuous.

#77 | Posted by snoofy at 2019-08-07 12:10 AM | Reply

"Far-left demonstrators appeared at Mitch McConnell's home in Louisville on Monday night and protested the 77-year-old who is recovering from a broken shoulder after he fell.

A short clip of the protesters was posted to Twitter by Ben Goldey, a life-long Kentuckian.

In the video, one person says they hope someone uses a "voodoo doll" on McConnell. Another person in the video says they hope somebody "just stab the mother f***er in the heart, please.""

I bet Unitard wish he could have been there.

#78 | Posted by nullifidian at 2019-08-07 12:12 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

"What is your point americanunity?"

The point is several thousand preventable deaths.

#79 | Posted by snoofy at 2019-08-07 12:12 AM | Reply

Citations necessary.

#75 | POSTED BY JPW

Bradford Winston would say - No citation necessary.

You're on shaky ground with that.

#80 | Posted by JeffJ at 2019-08-07 12:12 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

"What other?
Citations necessary.

#75 | POSTED BY JPW "

Kathy Griffin

www.usatoday.com

#81 | Posted by goatman at 2019-08-07 12:15 AM | Reply

#77 | POSTED BY SNOOFY

Because this site doesn't have an insult flag and the funny-flag is misused as an insult WAY too often - I don't use it like that. I flagged your post funny because it made me chuckle.

It's ridiculous that I feel compelled to say this. I've been begging Rcade for an insult flag but it's fallen on deaf ears.

#82 | Posted by JeffJ at 2019-08-07 12:16 AM | Reply

""What is your point americanunity?"
The point is several thousand preventable deaths.

#79 | POSTED BY SNOOFY "

Does being AU's spokesperson pay well?

#83 | Posted by goatman at 2019-08-07 12:16 AM | Reply

JEFF

Give me a break!! Trump has referred to Central Americans seeking asylum as an 'infestation' and 'invasion' and other terms to dehumanize made famous by the Nazis.

The El Paso even referred to Trump's use of those terms in his manifesto.

#84 | Posted by AMERICANUNITY at 2019-08-07 12:19 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Does not getting the point pay well?

#85 | Posted by snoofy at 2019-08-07 12:20 AM | Reply

"Does not getting the point pay well?

#85 | POSTED BY SNOOFY "

Answer my question and I'll answer yours. I asked first.

#86 | Posted by goatman at 2019-08-07 12:21 AM | Reply

Do you have a direct quote or quotes for this? I don't normally ask for links so can you recommend a few good Google search words?

The reason I ask is because the "good people on both sides" was horribly misrepresented by our wonderful news outlets.

Context matters. Maybe he said it exactly as you are suggesting and it escaped my attention. Nevertheless, this is a claim that I'd like to independently verify.

#87 | Posted by JeffJ at 2019-08-07 12:22 AM | Reply

"Trump has referred to Central Americans seeking asylum as an 'infestation' and 'invasion'"

2,200 times he has run Facebook ads calling it is an invasion.

Shooters are writing manifestoes echoing his hate for the invaders.

Deplorables maintain there is no connection, and furthemore tell us that invaders is the appropriate word to use.

#88 | Posted by snoofy at 2019-08-07 12:24 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Bradford Winston would say - No citation necessary.

You're on shaky ground with that.

#80 | Posted by JeffJ

Feel free to add to what I'm sure will be a short list.

Far too short to broad brush the entire party with.

That is unless you accept any broad brushed I make based on a short list of GOP members.

#89 | Posted by jpw at 2019-08-07 12:24 AM | Reply

"What other?
Citations necessary.

#75 | POSTED BY JPW "

Kathy Griffin

Oh. My. God.

You're right.

I can't believe I didn't see it until now, it's so obvious.

#90 | Posted by jpw at 2019-08-07 12:26 AM | Reply | Funny: 1

"Does not getting the point pay well?
#85 | POSTED BY SNOOFY"
Answer my question and I'll answer yours. I asked first.
#86 | POSTED BY GOATMAN AT 2019-08-07 12:21 AM

Well, it's been fun seeing you. And now it's tiresome again.

You remember the "circular argument" sock puppet explanation?

This is another example, but barely.

#91 | Posted by redlightrobot at 2019-08-07 12:26 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

"Answer my question and I'll answer yours. I asked first.
#86 | POSTED BY GOATMAN"

You really missed me.
That's awkward.

#92 | Posted by snoofy at 2019-08-07 12:28 AM | Reply

#89 JPW - Dude, I was joking. Do you remember the Bradford Winston posts?

They were various degrees of hilarious (H/T Moder8) and always ended with, "No citation necessary".

I used your comment to throw in a Winston reference. Nothing more.

#93 | Posted by JeffJ at 2019-08-07 12:33 AM | Reply

#90 | POSTED BY JPW

I'm detecting just a whiff of sarcasm with that post.

#94 | Posted by JeffJ at 2019-08-07 12:34 AM | Reply

JPW said,

"An anonymous blogger and a washed up comedian failing at being funny totally encapsulates the Dems.
I can't believe I didn't see it until now, it's so obvious.

#90 | POSTED BY JPW "

LOL YOu asked, 'what other?'. I gave a what other as you requested. And someone with a much bigger megaphone than americanunity. You didn't expect that and so you try to trivialize it.. I love it. Next time, think your next chess move a little further than, "I took pawn! Yay for me!" as Jeffj implied.

BTW, want some more examples? LOL

#95 | Posted by goatman at 2019-08-07 12:34 AM | Reply

I used your comment to throw in a Winston reference. Nothing more.

#93 | Posted by JeffJ

I remember the poster's name, but not his shtick.

My apologies.

#96 | Posted by jpw at 2019-08-07 12:34 AM | Reply

I bet Unitard wish he could have been there.

#78 | Posted by nullifidian

Sure thing, crazy man. GOATMAN really f-ed you up, 'DULLI," "DULLTARD" !!

(and the other nicknames he used to call you)

#97 | Posted by AMERICANUNITY at 2019-08-07 12:35 AM | Reply

"You really missed me.
That's awkward.

#92 | POSTED BY SNOOFY "

Um, OK. If that's the best you got, it's the best you got. Nothing's changed.

#98 | Posted by goatman at 2019-08-07 12:36 AM | Reply

#90 | Posted by jpw

FF!

#99 | Posted by AMERICANUNITY at 2019-08-07 12:37 AM | Reply

Yawn.

You're still an idiot I see.

That is unless you'll accept my broad brushes based on two people on the right.

Glad to hear you agree the GOP is nothing but slack jawed yokels who hate minorities and beat their wives. Why would you want to associate with that?

#100 | Posted by jpw at 2019-08-07 12:38 AM | Reply

Nothing's changed.
#98 | POSTED BY GOATMAN

The shootings will continue.
There's no "until."
The shootings will simply continue.

#101 | Posted by snoofy at 2019-08-07 12:39 AM | Reply

JPW - No worries.

The posts were absolutely hilarious.

I earned a massive new level of respect for Moder8 when I learned it was a sock puppet account he created.

Winston posed as a huge Romney supporter who was superficially self-righteous. He also had a back-story. A big ranch in a Southern state. A man servant named Barnabas. He came from royalty and claimed you'd have an overwhelming urge to genuflect if you met him in person.

I'm disappointed for you that you don't remember those posts. They were seriously funny.

#102 | Posted by JeffJ at 2019-08-07 12:39 AM | Reply

"Glad to hear you agree the GOP is nothing but slack jawed yokels who hate minorities and beat their wives."

Be fair.
Some don't beat their wives.
Those ones get beat by their wives.

#103 | Posted by snoofy at 2019-08-07 12:41 AM | Reply

"Sure thing, crazy man. GOATMAN really f-ed you up, 'DULLI," "DULLTARD" !!
(and the other nicknames he used to call you)

#97 | POSTED BY AMERICANUNITY "

WHy do you lie (again). Yes, Nulli and I butted heads many times. In fact many, many times and probably will again. But I didn't call him names on an ongoing basis.. That's just never been my style. I won't say I nevver have. But compared to the normal repartee here, I'm not a name caller. And if I have, it's to people like speaksoftly. And even her, it's rare. It's not to someone who can hold his own like nulli.

I wish you would quit lying, man.

#104 | Posted by goatman at 2019-08-07 12:42 AM | Reply | Funny: 1 | Newsworthy 1

Those ones get beat by their wives.

You mean sisters.

#105 | Posted by jpw at 2019-08-07 12:43 AM | Reply | Funny: 1

"The shootings will continue.
There's no "until."
The shootings will simply continue.

#101 | POSTED BY SNOOFY "

PRobably. It's called the 2nd amendment.

#106 | Posted by goatman at 2019-08-07 12:43 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

It's not to someone who can hold his own like nulli.

LOL things have changed in your time away.

#107 | Posted by jpw at 2019-08-07 12:44 AM | Reply

#102 | Posted by JeffJ

Sounds like it.

I remember a lot of posters and their general MO but not specifics.

Spud and his weird/creepy third person thing.

BuffaloBob and JeffnDenmark and their never too weird or out there conspiracy theory nonsense.

Vern and his f***ed up calculator.

Rastaninja who was just a creepy mofo.

Too many.

#108 | Posted by jpw at 2019-08-07 12:47 AM | Reply

#102 | Posted by JeffJ

Bradford Winston gave some people 'dressage envy.' (horse dancing). You could smell the Brylcreem ...

#109 | Posted by AMERICANUNITY at 2019-08-07 12:47 AM | Reply

"It's not to someone who can hold his own like nulli.

LOL things have changed in your time away.

#107 | POSTED BY JPW "

I'll be the juddge of that. I never put much stock in the person who approached me on my first day at a new new job and said, "Watch out for..." I make my own decisions on people. Other people don't do it for me. ANd I have little respect for the people who try to convince me otherwise.

But that's just me.

#110 | Posted by goatman at 2019-08-07 12:47 AM | Reply | Funny: 1 | Newsworthy 1

#110 | POSTED BY GOATMAN

You seem wiser than JPW ... that is not meant as an insult, as most are ...

#111 | Posted by AndreaMackris at 2019-08-07 12:50 AM | Reply

But that's just me.

#110 | Posted by goatman

Yawn. Cool story bro.

#112 | Posted by jpw at 2019-08-07 12:53 AM | Reply

You seem wiser than JPW ... that is not meant as an insult, as most are ...

#111 | Posted by AndreaMackris

I love hearing the musings of a nobody who's had everything handed to them.

Please, tell me more.

#113 | Posted by jpw at 2019-08-07 12:55 AM | Reply

JPW said, "Yawn.

You're still an idiot I see."

You asked for something. I gave it. You don't like that you took my pawn but lost your rook doing it. So you now you lash out with schoolyard name calling. LOL

#114 | Posted by goatman at 2019-08-07 12:55 AM | Reply | Funny: 1

#6 | Posted by docnjo

What a moronic argument. People have an inborn desire to change their state of consciousness. Kids first discover it when they learn they can make themselves dizzy by spinning around. People will ALWAYS find a way to change their consciousness even if you make it illegal.

There is no such inborn desire to get an object that fires high speed projectiles, so banning them is not outlawing part of human nature.

The fact that you even try and draw this analogy exposes you to be a moron.

#115 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2019-08-07 12:56 AM | Reply

- Kids first discover it when they learn they can make themselves dizzy by spinning around.

No. It's when they find their fun button.

#116 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2019-08-07 12:57 AM | Reply

I wish you would quit lying, man.

#104 | Posted by goatman

I realized you were an utter moron and waste of time the day you made the pathetic argument that if you use any fossil fuels, you can't argue that we should reduce our use of fossil fuels.

It's called tu quoque argument, and it would make you fail 6th grade debate class.

en.wikipedia.org

Tu quoque (/tjuːˈkwoʊkwi, tuːˈkwoʊkweɪ/;[1] Latin for "you also"), or the appeal to hypocrisy, is a fallacy that intends to discredit the opponent's argument by asserting the opponent's failure to act consistently in accordance with its conclusion(s).

#117 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2019-08-07 12:59 AM | Reply

#104 | Posted by goatman

#118 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2019-08-07 01:01 AM | Reply

You seem wiser than JPW ...
#111 | POSTED BY ANDREAMACKRIS

Goat has a snow white beard past his ----. THAT's as wise if I've ever seen it.

#119 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2019-08-07 01:03 AM | Reply

You seem wiser than JPW ... that is not meant as an insult, as most are ...
#111 | Posted by AndreaMackris
I love hearing the musings of a nobody who's had everything handed to them.
Please, tell me more.
#113 | POSTED BY JPW AT 2019-08-07 12:55 AM | FLAG:
JPW said, "Yawn.
You're still an idiot I see."
#114 | POSTED BY GOATMAN AT 2019-08-07 12:55 AM

Come on you guys, try and stay on the threads topic, how Republicans are screwing-up gun legislation for the umpteenth time, rather than your bizarre love triangles.

#120 | Posted by redlightrobot at 2019-08-07 01:04 AM | Reply

#104 | Posted by goatman
#118 | POSTED BY SPEAKSOFTLY

Oh, that should be good.

#121 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2019-08-07 01:04 AM | Reply

"By the way your presence is requested on the other thread you ran away from after I proved you wrong.
#118 | Posted by SpeakSoftly "

??? I guess if my calling you out on your lies (like "Trump is not a billionaire) and you being unable to provide citation to back up your claim means you proved me wrong, then go to the mirror and high five yourself. Rational people would see that as a loss in your column. BUt hey, whatevef blows air up your skirt, babe.

#122 | Posted by goatman at 2019-08-07 01:11 AM | Reply

I wish you would quit lying, man.

#104 | Posted by goatman

Saw this quoted in another post.

Who are you trying to kid?!! You called a lot of people juvenile names. Buffalo "----", "Dulli," .. there were lots of them!

And you really f-ed up NULLI. He was a sane Republican hater and Obama supporter. Now he's a right wing Trump nutbag scratcher who's totally insane ... and uses juvenile nicknames too. Good job on that one!! :)

#123 | Posted by AMERICANUNITY at 2019-08-07 01:12 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

So you now you lash out with schoolyard name calling. LOL

#114 | Posted by goatman

So two people make the party? Great.

This should lead to some pretty awesome conversations.

#124 | Posted by jpw at 2019-08-07 01:14 AM | Reply

speaksoftly said, "I realized you were an utter moron "

So sixth grade name calling continues to be the best thing you have? How sad. Do you think one day you'll outgrow it as most of the rest of us have? Or do you see it as a lifelong affliction. Most people realize that name calling says a lot more about the emotional immaturity of the person doing it than it does about their target. I hope you learn this one day. I cringe whenever I see you engage in it and debase yourself

#125 | Posted by goatman at 2019-08-07 01:15 AM | Reply

Also, your chess analogy is pretty poor. I didn't loose anything by you being hyper literal and, true to form, goatuse.

I'm guessing your running this course means you have far too few others to post in support of your absurd assertion and find word games preferable.

#126 | Posted by jpw at 2019-08-07 01:16 AM | Reply | Funny: 1

BTW, GOATMAN

I thought about you during the Apollo 11 50th celebrations.

I used to really enjoy our conversations about the space program.

#127 | Posted by AMERICANUNITY at 2019-08-07 01:16 AM | Reply

JPW said, "So two people make the party? Great."

Speaksoftly thinks so, I reckon. You two have fun with your schoolyard taunts. THey say a lot more about yourselves than they do your targets. Learn this.

#128 | Posted by goatman at 2019-08-07 01:16 AM | Reply

#123 | Posted by AMERICANUNITY

I wonder what it's like to be a cradle-to-grave partisan water boy for one political party. Unlike an unimaginative dullard like you, I have no experience with that.

#129 | Posted by nullifidian at 2019-08-07 01:19 AM | Reply | Funny: 1

#129 | Posted by nullifidian

Neither do I. I've voted for lots of Republicans in my lifetime. When they became insane, I quit.

Now that you've gone insane, I can see how they appeal to you.

#130 | Posted by AMERICANUNITY at 2019-08-07 01:20 AM | Reply

JPW said, "Also, your chess analogy is pretty poor. "

Thank you for your highly subjective opinion.

Are you through obsessing with me yet? Let's get back on topic.

#131 | Posted by goatman at 2019-08-07 01:22 AM | Reply

Speaksoftly thinks so, I reckon.

Good for him. You guys should have some interesting non-conversation conversations.

THey say a lot more about yourselves than they do your targets. Learn this.

#128 | Posted by goatman

Don't tell me you think your childish word games and intentionally obtuse demeanor is flattering to others.

#132 | Posted by jpw at 2019-08-07 01:25 AM | Reply

Thank you for your highly subjective opinion.

LOL

#133 | Posted by jpw at 2019-08-07 01:25 AM | Reply

#127. I had dinner July 20 with the guy whom I watched that event with 50 years earlier. I hadn't seen him in 15 years, and the time before that was in HS another 30 years earlier.

#134 | Posted by goatman at 2019-08-07 01:25 AM | Reply

So your unfamiliar with the inherent human desire for self preservation. It sometimes manifests in self defense which leads to utilizing "an object that fires high speed projectiles" for that purpose.

BTW, welcome back, goatman.

#135 | Posted by et_al at 2019-08-07 01:26 AM | Reply

"...it's to people like speaksoftly. And even her, it's rare. "
#104 | POSTED BY GOATMAN

Speaksoftly claims to be a dude. Yeah, I know. She announced it a few weeks ago.

Seriously, she did. - he/it did. whatever. Never met a dude so emotionally unhinged him. her. it.

#136 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2019-08-07 01:29 AM | Reply

#134 | Posted by goatman

What a night that was!!

BTW, I've removed you from Plonkville. Felt bad about you having so many :)

#137 | Posted by AMERICANUNITY at 2019-08-07 01:30 AM | Reply

#132, 133. I guess you aren't through. *sigh* Try thinking about Jessica Biel, tacos, baseball, or even the topic instead. They are all much more interesting than me, jpw. Trust me.

On topic. Dems ought to be happy on this

www.msn.com

#138 | Posted by goatman at 2019-08-07 01:31 AM | Reply

"Speaksoftly thinks so, I reckon."
THey say a lot more about yourselves than they do your targets. Learn this.
#128 | Posted by goatman
#132 | POSTED BY JPW AT 2019-08-07 01:25 AM

Please stop feeding the troll. I loved "goatuse", but now it's back to sub-par rhetoric that is completely off topic.

Let's presume we are all wrong and Republicans have a real plan to enact, preventing firearms misuse and helping those who are close to breakdown.

Like they did with healthcare.. or, are going to do, rather, when that bill finally arrives..

#139 | Posted by redlightrobot at 2019-08-07 01:32 AM | Reply

Back to the story.

I say good. Fill as many positions as you can, while you can. The less far left gun grabbing judges, the better.

#140 | Posted by willowby at 2019-08-07 01:35 AM | Reply

You say good.
I say death cult.

The shootings will continue.

#141 | Posted by snoofy at 2019-08-07 01:37 AM | Reply

redlightrobot, I only asked you to provide ciations to a couple of extremely dubious claims you made. Wny do you consider askkng for the truth as trolling? I find that sad, even sadder that you make such outrageous claims and think people are stupid enough to believe them.

Prove me wrong and provide citations to those claims and I'll admit I'm wrong.

#142 | Posted by goatman at 2019-08-07 01:38 AM | Reply

"redlightrobot, I only asked you to provide ciations to a couple of extremely dubious claims you made."

What's it called when you keep doing the same thing over and over again and expect different results.

#143 | Posted by snoofy at 2019-08-07 01:39 AM | Reply

For me, this isn't a partisan issue. It's an American issue.

We're averaging one mass shooting a day. That's wrong. If it were anything else, Congress would act.

But the NRA has Republicans by the balls, so we'll just continue seeing dozens at a time mowed down in minutes with high capacity magazines and 18 year olds legally buying AR-15's and AK's who should be getting mental health trea, tment.

The Dayton shooter, for example. He fell right through the cracks. "Hit list" of people he wanted to kill known by his school, nothing really done. Background check system for pistols a hodge podge of information where one state doesn't know about domestic assaults in another, gun show loopholes, easy access to military weaponry.

It's a very sad state of affairs. 600,000 people killed in gun violence since the Dickey Amendment. Think about that number. It's the same amount of people as the entire population of some states. But, nothing can be done, right?

#144 | Posted by AMERICANUNITY at 2019-08-07 01:39 AM | Reply

#141 You are right snoofy. On that point we can agree. As long as the 2nd amendment lives, people will get shot. Hell, they get shot in countries where guns are illegal.

#145 | Posted by goatman at 2019-08-07 01:40 AM | Reply

#143 It depends on what that "thing" is.

#146 | Posted by goatman at 2019-08-07 01:42 AM | Reply

"For me, this isn't a partisan issue. It's an American issue."

Fun fact:

Partisans on the other side define being American as being able to own a gun.

#147 | Posted by snoofy at 2019-08-07 01:43 AM | Reply

#139 | Posted by redlightrobot

The health insurance plan they had YEARS to compile, but when push came to shove they slapped together some nonsense in late night jam sessions. "Better than 'Obamacare' they said. Uh, huh.

Meanwhile, millions of people now have health insurance coverage despite Republican's best efforts to see that they don't.

#148 | Posted by AMERICANUNITY at 2019-08-07 01:43 AM | Reply

"Hell, they get shot in countries where guns are illegal."

Fun fact: They get shot a lot less in other modern countries.

#149 | Posted by snoofy at 2019-08-07 01:45 AM | Reply

""Hell, they get shot in countries where guns are illegal."
Fun fact: They get shot a lot less in other modern countries.
#149 | Posted by snoofy "

ANother fun fact: Murder isn't done by only guns.. Russia has 3x the murder rate as the US, and guns are strictly outlawed there.

#150 | Posted by goatman at 2019-08-07 01:47 AM | Reply

Australia enacted an assault weapons ban after their last mass shooting decades ago.

They haven't had one since.

#151 | Posted by AMERICANUNITY at 2019-08-07 01:47 AM | Reply

"easy access to military weaponry."

-------. I was in the Marines. I have 5 AR's. None of them have a three round burst or full auto option on them.

#152 | Posted by willowby at 2019-08-07 01:53 AM | Reply

#150 | Posted by goatman

Russia is run by criminal gangs. What do you expect? When the Soviet Union fell, gun control laws were loosened. Smuggled guns? Probably.

Here in the U.S. straw buyers and gun show loopholes make it super easy for criminals and people who shouldn't own them to get guns here.

And we don't even require anyone to be certified in their use. Drive a car? Need to pass a written and road test. Want to own firearms? Just go buy one, no gun safety required.

#153 | Posted by AMERICANUNITY at 2019-08-07 01:54 AM | Reply

They haven't had one since.

POSTED BY AMERICANUNITY

It can't be accomplished here without repealing the 2nd. And even from there, the task is monumental.

#154 | Posted by JeffJ at 2019-08-07 01:55 AM | Reply

Question: Who do people freak out more about a single madman killing 20 people than they do several madmen killing many times that? There were hundred hilled in Chicago alone lats year by hundreds of people. But people freak out over one person killing several. It's kind of like people freaking out over a space shuttle disaster where 7 die, but don't care about all the many more killed in airplanes. Are mass murder victims more special than those individuals murdered in Chicago?

#155 | Posted by goatman at 2019-08-07 01:55 AM | Reply

#152 | Posted by willowby

WTF are you rambling about? I said nothing about 3 round bursts or fully automatic ARs.

But you can Google how to do it in 5 seconds, like I just did.

www.google.com

#156 | Posted by AMERICANUNITY at 2019-08-07 01:57 AM | Reply

There are gangs in the US. But that is irrelevant. Dead is dead. Murder is murder. Should gang related murders be excluded from the count?

#157 | Posted by goatman at 2019-08-07 01:57 AM | Reply

#155 | POSTED BY GOATMAN

The same people who dehumanize these people as 'gang-members' not worthy of life justify it thusly, and then get angry when someone like Trump characterizes MS-13 gang members in dehumanizing terms.

#158 | Posted by JeffJ at 2019-08-07 01:59 AM | Reply

#154 | Posted by JeffJ

I'm not, nor have I ever, advocated for banning all guns.

Just common sense things .. like ensuring people who buy them can legally own them, aren't a risk to others, registering all guns so the owners are responsible for their keeping, strengthening universal background checks so nuts don't fall through the cracks like they can now, ending the gun show loophole, banning high capacity magazines that result in dozens of deaths in a minute or two, etc.

Everyone should want to ensure only qualified, lawful, sane people can own and safely operate guns. Why anyone would oppose common sense measures is beyond belief.

I have a couple guns myself. But I'm tired of inaction in preventing people out for a movie or shopping or worshiping being senselessly gunned down because some people think weapons like that with high capacity magazines should be as readily available as bread and milk.

#159 | Posted by AMERICANUNITY at 2019-08-07 02:01 AM | Reply

"Question: Who do people freak out more about a single madman killing 20 people than they do several madmen killing many times that?"

Question makes no sense.

What is "several madmen killing many times that?"

It could be anything.

Timothy McVeigh and Terry Nichols and their still unnamed third accomplice.

Central Powers in WWI.

Allied Powers in WWI.

Question is a joke, from a joker.

#160 | Posted by snoofy at 2019-08-07 02:02 AM | Reply

Sorry you don't get the question. It makes sense to me. I would diagram and parse the sentence for you, but think you still wouldn't get it as most reasonable people would, snoofy.

So there's one you can scratch off your list of potential responses to.

#161 | Posted by goatman at 2019-08-07 02:04 AM | Reply | Funny: 1

"Question is a joke, from a joker.

#160 | Posted by snoofy "

Maybe if you focused on the question as an emotionally mature adult, and less on what your next schoolyard taunt is going to be, you'd have better luck grokking. Give it a try.

#162 | Posted by goatman at 2019-08-07 02:07 AM | Reply | Funny: 1

I would diagram and parse the sentence for you

Diagram won't help, but parsing it might.

Who are these "several madmen?"
They're working in concert, right?

#163 | Posted by snoofy at 2019-08-07 02:08 AM | Reply

They are the ones doing the killing. That wasn't clear to you, or let me guess: A Socratean build up to your next post?

#164 | Posted by goatman at 2019-08-07 02:10 AM | Reply

Plenty of people do plenty of killing.

Parse that.

#165 | Posted by snoofy at 2019-08-07 02:11 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

"They are the ones doing the killing."

Which are the ones people freak out more about a single madman killing 20 people than they do several madmen killing many times that?

#166 | Posted by snoofy at 2019-08-07 02:13 AM | Reply

Personally, if I had to choose, I'd rather have one murdering madman in my house than hundreds, even if that one killed 20 people and the hundreds killed only one each.

BUt that's just me. Your milage may vary, and I'm sure it will.

#167 | Posted by goatman at 2019-08-07 02:17 AM | Reply

"Personally, if I had to choose, I'd rather have one murdering madman in my house than hundreds"

Less Evil on line 2.

#168 | Posted by snoofy at 2019-08-07 02:40 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

You'd rather have OJ Simpson in your house than all of LAPD, for example.

Welcome back to the Drudge Retort, Kato Kaelin.

#169 | Posted by snoofy at 2019-08-07 02:43 AM | Reply

The choice is murderers.

#170 | Posted by goatman at 2019-08-07 02:48 AM | Reply

Drunk already?

#171 | Posted by Snoofy at 2019-08-07 02:48 AM | Reply

Honestly, and this is my opinion, so take it however you want.

I believe mass shooting freak people out more, because of the randomness of them. Mass shooters find public areas with a lot of people and open fire indiscriminately.

Gang related shootings are usually attempting to hit a specific target or targets. That's not to say people don't get freaked out by gang shootings, they do. People living in a "gang's" neighborhoods get very freaked out. But, the key words in that sentence are "gang's neighborhoods". Gangs generally remain in certain neighborhoods.

There can be a response to gangs and gang violence.

Mass shootings, being random, are very difficult to do anything about.

#172 | Posted by ClownShack at 2019-08-07 03:06 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

I'd rather have one murdering madman in my house than hundreds,

What if, and this is purely for hypothetical discussion and has no basis on any other discussions on going in the present or past.

What if, the one murdering madman was completely insane and the only way to live would be to kill him with your hands before he kills you.

But, the hundreds were willing to talk, they have a leader you could negotiate with, and you have a 50% chance of talking your way out of the entire situation.

Which would you choose?

#173 | Posted by ClownShack at 2019-08-07 03:16 AM | Reply

BUt that's just me. Your milage may vary, and I'm sure it will.
#167 | POSTED BY GOATMAN AT 2019-08-07 02:17 AM

Dude, you should really put a leash on your ass because you keep getting it handed back to you. What a dumb - I mean it, truly dumb way to squeeze that "argument" into the context of mass shootings.

#174 | Posted by redlightrobot at 2019-08-07 03:23 AM | Reply

Auto deaths are 25% of what they were in the 70's, before regulation required cars be made safer.

Smoking is down 50% because it was ruled a hazard and banned from public areas, with required warnings.

Gun deaths continue to rise. Because the NRA holds the GOP's balls in it's hands, nothing is done.

Pistols are one thing. Bolt action rifles another.

Assault weapons that can fire 3 rounds a second and hold 100 round magazines are an entirely different thing. And a public health hazard.

The Dayton shooter was killed within 30 seconds, but was able to kill 9 and injure dozens of others.

And the damage the high velocity of AR-15's and AK's cause inside the body means even more deaths when people are hit. As one doctor put it: "A pistol shot creates a hole. An AR-15 creates a cavity"

Oh, but men who don't feel manly enough have to have them. The manufacturers advertise manliness by owning them.

#175 | Posted by AMERICANUNITY at 2019-08-07 03:54 AM | Reply

"Dude, you should really put a leash on your ass because you keep getting it handed back to you.

#174 | POSTED BY REDLIGHTROBOT "

Says the guy who pukes out lies he can't provide citaion for. LOL.

#176 | Posted by goatman at 2019-08-07 06:16 AM | Reply

"All available evidence confirms that the guns are the problem"
This is untrue. 1/3 of Americans own guns. 1/3 of Swiss own guns. America's gun death ratio is 4x as high as Switzerland. The evidence here indicates that guns are NOT the problem.

#177 | Posted by Avigdore at 2019-08-07 08:53 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

#162 | POSTED BY GOATMAN

Probably because it's a disingenuous question.

Nobody has ever replied "meh" to the stat that just shy of 40K people die from gun violence every year.

Gun violence, be it suicide, "accidents" or homicide is often and loudly discussed as a major major problem.

#178 | Posted by jpw at 2019-08-07 08:56 AM | Reply

Have fun obfuscating and playing mental gymnastics with someone else.

#56 | Posted by AMERICANUNITY

My God, you democrats/liberals do that all the time!

#179 | Posted by boaz at 2019-08-07 08:57 AM | Reply

Also, violence associated with criminal activity (drugs, gang turf wars ect) at least has a motive behind it that is tangible.

A guy planning and then carrying out a scheme to kill as many strangers as possible in as short a period of time because *shrug* is not tangible and, therefore, represents a significantly darker event in people's minds.

#180 | Posted by jpw at 2019-08-07 09:00 AM | Reply

#174 | POSTED BY REDLIGHTROBOT "
Says the guy who pukes out lies he can't provide citaion for. LOL.
#176 | POSTED BY GOATMAN AT 2019-08-07 06:16 AM

Your comparison is ridiculous nonsense. Give ONE example where that is the case - you cannot. Hey, I'm just having some fun talking smack, don't take it too personally. I try not to state lies of any form, ever - unless it's sarcasm or deliberate humor. As for puking, that doesn't happen very often unless I am forced to digest something unpalatable.

My citation are facts 1. Russia donated a massive sum to deliberately provide to Trump. 2. The National Rifle Association passed the money on in the form of free propaganda and direct campaign contributions. 3. Insiders claim the amount is even more than double that 30 million estimate. 4. The Federal Bureau of Investigation is deeply concerned and has gathered evidence in their investigations.

That amounts to precisely what I described, nothing less.

#181 | Posted by redlightrobot at 2019-08-07 09:03 AM | Reply

Also, it appears that the UFO thread has been scrubbed entirely from the site. Sorry, perhaps it would be a better place to hash out our "reunion".:]

#182 | Posted by redlightrobot at 2019-08-07 09:06 AM | Reply

#125 | Posted by goatman

I didn't call you a 6th grader stupid, I said you used a debate technique that would fail 6th grade debate class.

The fact that you can't tell the difference proves how stupid you are.

I stopped being polite to conservatives the day trump was elected. YOu want to be treated with respect, you have to show the world you deserve it. Trump supporters dont deserve it.

#183 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2019-08-07 11:29 AM | Reply

#183 | POSTED BY SPEAKSOFTLY

I'm a little more generous and only treat his active supporters like the -------- they are.

Because yes, they've earned it.

#184 | Posted by jpw at 2019-08-07 12:05 PM | Reply

Because yes, they've earned it.

#184 | Posted by jpw

Almost every republican is a trump supporter, either by active support, or by silence, or by saying but WHATABOUT the dems?

If you're not actively trying to get rid of trump, you are supporting trump.

#185 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2019-08-07 12:13 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 3

"If you're not actively trying to get rid of trump, you are supporting trump."

How do you "get rid of Trump?"

I'm assuming you mean work towards electing someone else in his place, the next time the opportunity presents itself?

#186 | Posted by madbomber at 2019-08-07 01:06 PM | Reply

I ask, because I suspect that you're a supporter of the left flank of the Democrat party, and you're trying hard to get Warren or Sanders nominated. But not Biden, Bullock or Delany. Given Warren's thoughtful positions, she may have a slight chance in the general election. Bernie is a lost cause, due to the fact that he has staked out the far left, with no room to move back to the center.

if you have done this, then you've likely done more than any republican to ensure that Trump gets re-elected.

#187 | Posted by madbomber at 2019-08-07 01:09 PM | Reply

Republicans Are Quietly Advancing a Radical Gun Plan - Posted by BruceBanner at 08:31 PM

How precisely is promoting Judges who agree that the Rights of the People and limits on the government stated in the Constitution a 'Radical' plan?

#188 | Posted by Avigdore at 2019-08-07 01:18 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

#186 | Posted by madbomber

#189 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2019-08-07 01:38 PM | Reply

Trump has referred to Central Americans seeking asylum as an 'infestation' and 'invasion' and other terms to dehumanize made famous by the Nazis. - #84 | Posted by AMERICANUNITY at 2019-08-07 12:19 AM
Invasion is not a dehumanizing term. When you lie to make a point, your point isn't worth making.

#190 | Posted by Avigdore at 2019-08-07 01:38 PM | Reply

And spreading the facts that disprove his myriad lies as far and wide as possible.

#191 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2019-08-07 01:43 PM | Reply

#190 | Posted by Avigdore

Yeah it's a term of WARFARE. That's even worse.

#192 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2019-08-07 01:44 PM | Reply

#8 | Posted by chuffy Don't be naive. Criminals do do not obey gun laws.

#9 | POSTED BY DOCNJO

This is the problem: idiots who think in soundbytes.

People who commit crimes aren't criminals 24/7, 365. Most days they are ordinary people trying to stay out of jail like everyone else. They don't spend their days planning a crime or crimes. Crimes are generally targets of opportunity. So yeah, most people who commit crimes actually obey gun laws because they don't want to put themselves at risk of going to jail. And if the laws were tougher, they wouldn't have a gun ready when they suddenly decided they needed to a commit a crime.

Stop painting criminals as a cartoon character hell bent on breaking the law every day.

The problem is that gun laws are so lax that people can easily and quickly get a gun or already own an arsenal if they decide to commit a crime. And there really isn't much right now that lets us stop them thanks to the NRA and Republicans.

Seriously though, no one is getting rid of all guns. Just asking for common sense regulations:
1. Banning certain types makes them much harder to get.
2. Tougher sentencing and tougher laws means people found illegally having guns can be put away before they have the opportunity to commit crimes with them.
3. Appropriate regulations and registrations make it easier to track the weapons and find these people.
4. Laws governing sales mean its harder to simply go get a gun and commit a crime.
5. Laws requiring a safety course would significantly reduce the number of people who could get a gun thereby weeding out people who legitimately want one for self defense and people who just want to own a gun.

How do I know these things work and your "criminals do do not obey gun laws" argument is garbage? BECAUSE IF ------- WORKS IN NEARLY EVERY GOD DAMN COUNTRY THAT HAS THESE LAWS!

#193 | Posted by Sycophant at 2019-08-07 01:46 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

Invasion is not a dehumanizing term.

Instead of not caring that they are coming (as they have been for decades), you're now absolutely terrified by the thought of them.

(Also. Trump referred to Salvadoran people as animals.)

Pretend away. But psychological warfare is real and it's effective.

#194 | Posted by ClownShack at 2019-08-07 01:50 PM | Reply

"Yes and encouraging your representatives and fellow citizens to pursue impeachment."

Even though you know it's not going to make it through the Senate?

#195 | Posted by madbomber at 2019-08-07 01:53 PM | Reply

"Of course it does. It makes asylum seekers seems to be aggressive enemy combatants."

The US is lucky. The vast majority of those wanting to sneak across the southern approach aren't bad people.

I live in Europe now, where all the immigrants are coming from North Africa and the Levant. The majority of them are good people too. But a lot are ISIS supporters/sympathizers who realize they overplayed their hand in the middle east, and will die if they stay. Western Europe give them the opportunity to conduct a tactical withdrawal and carry on the fight at a later date.

#196 | Posted by madbomber at 2019-08-07 01:57 PM | Reply

Even though you know it's not going to make it through the Senate?

#195 | Posted by madbomber

Yup. Show the country how strong the evidence is, and therefore how corrupt the republican senate is for letting him get away with it. Put trump's crimes on prime time tv for the next year to help ignorant voters make an informed decision.

#197 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2019-08-07 01:57 PM | Reply

Hysterical nonsense. The word "invasion" is used in numerous contexts, like "Carmel was invaded by a horde of tourists for it's annual arts festival this weekend." Or, "Daytona Beach was invaded by thousands of college students for spring break>"

#198 | Posted by nullifidian at 2019-08-07 02:05 PM | Reply | Funny: 1 | Newsworthy 1

Context is key.

#199 | Posted by ClownShack at 2019-08-07 02:10 PM | Reply

#193 | Posted by Sycophant at 2019-08-07 01:46 PM
I disagree that your suggestions would provide a meaningful impact to gun violence in America. I'm not willing to give up my rights to appease your need to pass feel-good, yet wholly ineffective legislation. You and I both know that 5 years from now, when violence has not decreased, that you'll be back looking to take more.

Stop concentrating on trying to strip people of their rights and work on identifying and rectifying the underlying cause of the violence. And not 'gun violence'...violence.
1/3 of Americans own guns.
1/3 of Swiss own guns.
The problem isn't guns.

#200 | Posted by Avigdore at 2019-08-07 02:26 PM | Reply

The problem isn't guns.

#200 | Posted by Avigdore

The swiss have videogames, social media, and depression too so the problem isn't any of those things, but those are what the GOP is blaming.

What the swiss DONT have is easy access to guns for untrained morons.

#201 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2019-08-07 02:29 PM | Reply

Personally, I think the Swiss model would be a great compromise. Not sure if it would pass constitutional muster or not, but it wouldn't restrict access to types of firearms readily available, would ensure shooters received training, and would do so within the context of the defense of the state.

#202 | Posted by madbomber at 2019-08-07 02:37 PM | Reply

I'm not willing to give up my rights to appease your need to pass
#200 | POSTED BY ABIGSLOPPYWHORE

Looks like ABIGWhORE didn't actually read #193, as not a single thing listed pertained to anyone giving up any rights.

At least ABigWhoRE is willing to admit he's 100% opposed to taking any actions to help curb gun related violence and deaths.

#203 | Posted by ClownShack at 2019-08-07 02:46 PM | Reply

#202 | Posted by madbomber

The swiss model would also require adopting full blown socialism with all it's costs and benefits. Americans are more likely to be violent because we are more pushed to the breaking point with stresses about costs of healthcare, education, unemployment, etc due to our winner-take-all economy.

A society full of people who are scared about the future is a society full of hopeless people who could snap. In switzerland, people don't snap because they dont have those concerns.

#204 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2019-08-07 02:49 PM | Reply

"Personally, I think the Swiss model would be a great compromise. Not sure if it would pass constitutional muster or not,"

It would more perfectly follow the Constitution than our system now because it would allow gun ownership for the member of a militia.

#205 | Posted by danni at 2019-08-07 02:54 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Our system already allows for gun ownership by militias, and the people who make up those militias

#206 | Posted by Avigdore at 2019-08-07 03:21 PM | Reply

#198 none of which have positive connotations.

#207 | Posted by jpw at 2019-08-07 03:23 PM | Reply

The swiss model would also require adopting full blown socialism with all it's costs and benefits."

Like the VAT?

The one thing I don't think USans understand is that much of Europe funds operations through Value added taxes. Think sales taxes, but instead of 5-10%, it's 18-20%. Or more.

That's European "socialism." I've never heard any US socialists advocate for anything similar. And you and I both know that, if they did, they would be done.

#208 | Posted by madbomber at 2019-08-07 03:32 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Like the VAT?

#208 | Posted by madbomber

That's what life is like in america, and it's why so many people snap and become violent here.

What are you willing to pay for a society that's not like that?

#209 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2019-08-07 04:04 PM | Reply

What are you willing to pay for a society that's not like that?

#209 | POSTED BY SPEAKSOFTLY

#210 | Posted by JeffJ at 2019-08-07 04:07 PM | Reply

#210 | Posted by JeffJ

It's a cultural issue created by a money issue. They spend their money to make sure theyre citizens have good lives. We spend our money to make sure the military industrial complex has great lives.

#211 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2019-08-07 04:50 PM | Reply

#206 | Posted by Avigdore

They are not 'well regulated'!!

They are ad hoc groups of unregulated idiots who think carrying ARs and AKs makes them manly.

And they are oftentimes traitorous subversives. Idaho is full of them.

#212 | Posted by AMERICANUNITY at 2019-08-07 05:03 PM | Reply

if you outlaw guns only outlaws and the Government will have them... ... ... .that's when law abiding citizen is f*cked

#213 | Posted by Maverick at 2019-08-07 05:25 PM | Reply

#213 | Posted by Maverick

translation - i'm a paranoid moron who swallows NRA propaganda, thinks american soldiers will turn against american citizens, and thinks american citizens could fight off the military.

#214 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2019-08-07 05:52 PM | Reply

"IMO, it's not a money issue, it's a cultural issue and it's one with no easy solutions.
#210 | POSTED BY JEFFJ"

Gun violence is concentrated in ares with high poverty.

"Gun homicides are concentrated in cities -- half of all gun homicides took place in just 127 cities, which represented nearly a quarter of the U.S. population.15 Within these cities, gun homicides are most prevalent in racially segregated neighborhoods with high rates of poverty." everytownresearch.org

How is that not a money issue? Please expound on your reasoning.

#215 | Posted by snoofy at 2019-08-07 06:14 PM | Reply

"The shootings will continue.
There's no "until."
The shootings will simply continue.
#101 | POSTED BY SNOOFY

PRobably. It's called the 2nd amendment.
#106 | POSTED BY GOATMAN"

Yep.
It's because of the Second Amendment.

#216 | Posted by snoofy at 2019-08-07 06:30 PM | Reply

#187 | POSTED BY MADBOMBER AT 2019-08-07 01:09 PM

What about his policies are you seeing as unappealing? Is it the cost? I can't believe the idea of free standard health care is considered wrong-headed or bad or difficult to implement. Is it that insurance companies added costs are no longer inflated outside of reasonable scope causing the most personal bankruptcy and home loss? Hurricane Aetna does more family devastation than Katrina and her sisters ever have. I want those corporate persons to pay back their "earnings" and track every single upper management throughout their lives as examples of how a mindset calculating death for profit can infiltrate leadership. Also liquidate their assets and track their daily spending habits. Just ways to compare and contrast how they transition into poverty and what is the least they can survive on.

Bernie's ideas might be slightly different, I'm uncertain. He said something about using Wall Street to pay into the health care. From what I understand from a janitor last week Jeff Bezos' Amazon paid no federal income taxes last year. Is that possible? His employees must have Cadillac coverage!

#217 | Posted by redlightrobot at 2019-08-07 07:29 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

No doubt a paper tiger.

#218 | Posted by fresno500 at 2019-08-07 10:38 PM | Reply

No doubt a paper tiger.

POSTED BY FRESNO500 AT 2019-08-07 10:38 PM | REPLY

Yep as always. If the killers were black however. NO ONE would be allowed guns.

#219 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2019-08-07 10:43 PM | Reply

1. Banning certain types makes them much harder to get.
#193 | Posted by Sycophant at 2019-08-07 01:46 PM

Compromise time? Let's start with a solid helping of #2 and a mandatory gun safety course as part of all 8th grade curriculum with a follow up in the senior year to refresh gun safety and cover laws and the legality of gun use to handle #5. Throw in a dash of 'open up the NICS background check process to everyone instead of only gun stores'.
That sounds to me like the start of some action that will have a positive impact on both gun safety and keeping guns out of the hands of people who shouldn't have them.

Which Congress-critter should we submit the idea to?

#220 | Posted by Avigdore at 2019-08-08 07:54 AM | Reply

They are not 'well regulated'!!
And they are oftentimes traitorous subversives. Idaho is full of them.
#212 | Posted by AMERICANUNITY at 2019-08-07 05:03 PM

There is no requirement that they be well regulated. They are (mostly) members of the Unorganized militia - so designated in the militia act of 1792 and again in the militia act of 1903 (all able-bodied men between ages 17 and 45). Personally I find that portion of the militia act to be sexist and ageist. I'm sure if anyone ever chose to contest it in the courts it would be opened to everyone.

The 2nd doesn't state that only well regulated militias can have guns. It says that well regulated militias are important, and because of that, the rights of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

What someone thinks and what they say (provided they have not crossed any legal barriers) has no bearing on their ability to exercise the same rights as you or I. Terrible people still have the same basic human rights until and unless they have had those rights removed via due process. I know that stripping the rights of people that you don't agree with is all the rage for some political groups these days, but those ideas are in opposition to what makes the US a strong nation.

Also, stop pretending that you know what people think. You don't. You overlay their actions with your bias and hatred. You then pretend that your dark thoughts are their reality. It's dishonest.

#221 | Posted by Avigdore at 2019-08-08 08:12 AM | Reply

100 regiments of Loyalist militia were the ones carrying out arms confiscation for the crown. That was not limited to muskets. This is an era where private citizens owned cannons and warships.

#222 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2019-08-08 08:48 AM | Reply

"Republicans Are Quietly Advancing a Radical Gun Plan"

Adjust your tinfoil hat before the aliens beam you up for a probing.

#223 | Posted by phesterOBoyle at 2019-08-08 10:22 AM | Reply

If the killers were black however. NO ONE would be allowed guns.
#219 | POSTED BY LAURAMOHR

You don't *really want to say that...Do you?

#224 | Posted by phesterOBoyle at 2019-08-08 10:24 AM | Reply

You don't *really want to say that...Do you?

POSTED BY PHESTEROBOYLE AT 2019-08-08 10:24 AM | REPLY

Throughout the late 1960s, the militant black nationalist group used their understanding of the finer details of California's gun laws to underscore their political statements about the subjugation of African-Americans. In 1967, 30 members of the Black Panthers protested on the steps of the California statehouse armed with .357 Magnums, 12-gauge shotguns and .45-caliber pistols and announced, "The time has come for black people to arm themselves."

The display so frightened politicians -- including California governor Ronald Reagan -- that it helped to pass the Mulford Act, a state bill prohibiting the open carry of loaded firearms, along with an addendum prohibiting loaded firearms in the state Capitol. The 1967 bill took California down the path to having some of the strictest gun laws in America and helped jumpstart a surge of national gun control restrictions.

"The law was part of a wave of laws that were passed in the late 1960s regulating guns, especially to target African-Americans," says Adam Winkler, author of Gunfight: The Battle Over the Right to Bear Arms. "Including the Gun Control Act of 1968, which adopted new laws prohibiting certain people from owning guns, providing for beefed up licensing and inspections of gun dealers and restricting the importation of cheap Saturday night specials [pocket pistols] that were popular in some urban communities."

#225 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2019-08-08 10:27 AM | Reply

LAURAMOHR

Yes and the law included everyone. No one was singled out.

#226 | Posted by phesterOBoyle at 2019-08-08 10:34 AM | Reply

Yes and the law included everyone. No one was singled out.

#226 | POSTED BY PHESTEROBOYLE AT 2019-08-08 10:34 AM | REPLY | FLAG

That's what I said slick.

#227 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2019-08-08 10:36 AM | Reply

"Like whateever it takes to make people feel like a bad twist of fate could leave them homeless or imprisoned."

If Bernie proposed a European style VAT in order to fund his initiatives...it would be very clear to voters that the free stuff he was offering...wasn't really free. And that would be the last you heard of Bernie Sanders.

In fact I've never heard one proponent of European style "socialism" propose European style funding to make it happen.

#228 | Posted by madbomber at 2019-08-08 10:46 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

They spend their money to make sure they're citizens have good lives.

Those citizens also pay far more in taxes. And not just high income earners...all of them.

VATs are not deferred for low income earners.

#229 | Posted by madbomber at 2019-08-08 10:48 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

#225 | POSTED BY LAURAMOHR AT 2019-08-08 10:27 AM | REPLY

The fallout from this was a seismic shift in NRA leadership that resulted in the no-compromise NRA.

#230 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2019-08-08 10:54 AM | Reply

"What about his policies are you seeing as unappealing?"

For healthcare, it is the elimination of the patient's right to choose how they receive healthcare. You get what the government is willing to offer, or get it outside the US. That's a very extreme position to hold, and one that's not been replicated anywhere else. Maybe Canada, depending on who you ask, but certainly nowhere else in the developed world.

And then there is how that healthcare is paid for. Many, many people would pay more, far more even, to have their options removed and replaced by something of a much lower quality. And like I mentioned, it wouldn't be paid for the way Europe does, but he would attempt to shift the burden to higher income earners. Which is a shift proposition, given that you can't collect taxes when people aren't willing to pay it.

Bernie is an old school, unelightened progressive. That plays well with the far left...but between us girls, that's the only area he plays well. As of 2017, 75% of USans considered themselves conservative or moderate, with only 25% calling themselves liberal. Bernie has staked out his territory on the far left...with no room (or even inclination) to shift back towards the center. And it seems very unliekly to me that his polcies are going to appeal to many moderates, given that his policies don't even resonate with a large swath of the Democratic party, inclduing the current front runner.

#231 | Posted by madbomber at 2019-08-08 11:00 AM | Reply

The president is reshaping the judiciary in the image of the Democrat Party's far-left liberal wing.

The president is reshaping the judiciary in the image of the Constitution, supporting no particular wing.

Which one should it be?

#232 | Posted by Petrous at 2019-08-08 11:32 AM | Reply

#228 | Posted by madbomber

That's my biggest issue with those plans.

They're all being sold on pipe dreams of increased rich people and corporate taxes.

#233 | Posted by jpw at 2019-08-08 12:19 PM | Reply

"You know, the people with the most power in our government who have shown unending willingness to allow their taxes to be high or raised."

It makes me wonder whether or not people want socialized healthcare or simply want someone else to pay for it.

VATs affect consumers equally across society. If you go out and buy a new vacuum or a TV, you don't get a lower price because you make less money.

I don't think a VAT would stand a chance in the US.

#234 | Posted by madbomber at 2019-08-08 02:31 PM | Reply

"I don't think a VAT would stand a chance in the US."

Such simplicity has no place in our Byzantine tax code.

#235 | Posted by snoofy at 2019-08-08 02:33 PM | Reply

"For healthcare, it is the elimination of the patient's right to choose how they receive healthcare."

Sorry, but I don't understand.
How does this right currently manifest, and what is lost?

#236 | Posted by snoofy at 2019-08-08 02:33 PM | Reply

People complaining about the cost of Medicare for All have their heads up their asses.

The average family premium in America is $19,000 a year. For average wage workers living in a family of four, this premium is equal to 26.4 percent of their total labor compensation. If you count this premium as taxes for international comparison purposes, the average wage worker in the United States has the second-highest tax rate in the developed world, behind the Netherlands.

People complaining about the cost of Medicare seem to forget that we already pay more than anyone else in the world for our healthcare. How will we continue to do that, is the real question.

#237 | Posted by JOE at 2019-08-08 02:45 PM | Reply

"Such simplicity has no place in our Byzantine tax code."

To put it in perspective, a 19% VAT on the sale of vehicles would result in ~$12.34 billion each year. And that's just on cars. That doesn't take into account every other consumer good purchased with a VAT rate of 19%. This of course doesn't take into account the change in consumer behavior resulting from higher taxes, which would be very difficult to calculate.

Currently, the US spends about $13T per quarter on consumer goods. You can see where a VAT would likely be the best way to fund everyone's pet projects...provided that the taxpayers wanted to fund them.

#238 | Posted by madbomber at 2019-08-08 03:01 PM | Reply

"Sorry, but I don't understand. How does this right currently manifest, and what is lost?"

Right now I can choose how I want my healthcare provided. I can purchase a health plan that suits my needs, maybe choose one my employer provides, or even just pay for it out of pocket.

The Bernie plan eliminates any plan that would compete with the one ordered by the government. That's a bit nebulous, admittedly, but there's no question the result would be restricted choices for patients. And based on the language, it could be interpreted to restrict all choice...other than going to another country for care.

#239 | Posted by madbomber at 2019-08-08 03:04 PM | Reply

"That's a bit nebulous, admittedly, but there's no question the result would be restricted choices for patients."

#240 | Posted by snoofy at 2019-08-08 03:06 PM | Reply

Sweden does a 51% to 62% in income & social security taxes, then another 25% VAT, along with cutting military spending to 1.1% of GDP.

You have to sell extreme regressive taxation on the promise of a competent, efficient US federal government, that is sometimes run by Donald Trump.

#241 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2019-08-08 03:09 PM | Reply

"Tax increases" would come at the same time that Americans receive trillions per year in spending relief by no longer having to pay insurers, doctors, hospitals and pharmacies. Stop pretending this new tax is on top of what we already pay.

You do have one thing right though. Assuming Republicans run the government 50% of the time, government-run healthcare will never work in America. They will govern in bad faith and do everything within their power to sabotage and delegitimize the program, leaving it a shell of what it's intended to be. Anyone who wants good-faith government healthcare should leave the United States. We will never, ever have it unless the electoral college is abolished.

#242 | Posted by JOE at 2019-08-08 04:03 PM | Reply

"Sounds like the restriction would be on how you choose to pay, not on the services you receive."

Absolutely not. If that turned out to be the case, I don't think anyone would care. But people would care if they were paying more or the same for their healthcare while receiving a lower quality product.

"You do have one thing right though. Assuming Republicans run the government 50% of the time, government-run healthcare will never work in America."

The government is terrible at virtually everything it does. Healthcare would be no different. Which is why even in places like Sweden that are known for socialized medicine, you have private healthcare providers working with the government to provide services, or offering them directly to consumers.

#243 | Posted by madbomber at 2019-08-09 10:28 AM | Reply