Friday, August 09, 2019

In October 2018, a cellphone video of a Brooklyn woman calling 911 to claim a 9-year-old black boy grabbed her rear went viral on social media, becoming one of a series of videos that activists and journalists seized upon as an example of the everyday racism faced by minorities in America. That woman became known as "Cornerstore Caroline." Other individuals who became the subjects of similar stories would be known by nicknames such as "Basketball Becky" or "Taco Truck Tammy." Now, Clemson University researchers have found those videos received instrumental early social media promotion from inauthentic accounts, some of which have since been removed by Twitter and linked by U.S. intelligence to Russia's efforts to stoke racial tensions in America.

Comments

Well DUH!

#1 | Posted by oldwhiskeysour at 2019-08-09 10:50 AM | Reply

@#1

My reaction was similar, along the lines of, what took them so long to find this out?

#2 | Posted by LampLighter at 2019-08-09 11:04 AM | Reply

Do we need to shut down twitter?

#3 | Posted by Tor at 2019-08-09 03:25 PM | Reply

Shocker........ Not!

#4 | Posted by aborted_monson at 2019-08-09 05:03 PM | Reply

Go figure. Left wingers excitedly jumping in cause "muh Russia." When it is most commonly left wing sources printing the most about race, racism, white supremacy, etc, and fanning the flames of division.

No damn self-awareness.

Though to be self aware, here I am calling out the left. And this is the problem. Pointing fingers and calling out sides instead of calling for unity. I'm doing it myself. Although I at least do it out of the hope I can get others on the left to realize all this worry about intersectionality, social justice at the cost of trying to bring those at the top down rather than bring those at the bottom up, etc is leading to nothing but more resentment and polarization.

But also, too many on the left don't realize they're being played. Russia is in a propaganda war, and the left thinks they're only backing the right - they aren't. They're backing every extreme, anything to increase polarization and widen the rifts in our nation.

#5 | Posted by zeropointnrg at 2019-08-09 05:30 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 3

Lots of the Russian propaganda is false flagm to make liberals look even worse to conservatives.
Accounts like "Muslims for Hillary."

#6 | Posted by snoofy at 2019-08-09 05:42 PM | Reply

- "Taco Truck Tammy."

I know her! ...big fat girl. smells like taco.

#7 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2019-08-09 05:44 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

Thanks again, Moscow Mitch!
-- Team Trump --

#8 | Posted by e1g1 at 2019-08-09 06:04 PM | Reply

Do we have to shut down twitter?

#9 | Posted by Tor at 2019-08-09 06:52 PM | Reply

You could just stop using it.

#10 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2019-08-09 07:46 PM | Reply

It's comical how the thread starter is accusing others not being "self aware" when he is one of the least "self aware" posters on this site. An individual who is pretending to be a liberal democrat (see his profile) but does nothing but attack the left and support the alt-right (R)tarded party. Do they clone you ------- or what?

#11 | Posted by aborted_monson at 2019-08-09 08:25 PM | Reply

@#9 ... Do we have to shut down twitter? ..

I don't think we need to go that far just yet.

The biggest impediment to resolving this problem sits in the Oval Office.

It may take me a bit to get to my conclusion, please try to hang in there. Here goes....

The social media sites (especially twitter) are implementing rules regarding what types of messages are not allowable. For example, hate messages or messages espousing violence. Let's call those messages, A.

Then there are the messages originated by Conservatives on twitter. Let's call those messages, B.

Also there are the messages originated by libs, progressives, or whatever they are calling themselves this election cycle. Let's call those messages, C.

A - bad messages
B - Conservatives
C - libs, progressives or whatever..

There is an overlap among the three groups, i.e., messages in B could also be in A. Messages in C could also be in A. It is doubtful if messages in B are also in C, but if that ever occurs, the overlap would be small. imo, of course.

Here's the problem...

Twitter wants to eliminate the messages in A. Unfortunately, a large portion of the messages in A are also in B.

Twitter is finding that Conservatives are posting a lot of hate-filled messages, if not most of them.

Going back to the Oval Office problem I mentioned earlier...

Pres Trump needs the messages of B, because that is his base, including those in B who are also in A. That's the despicable part.

So how does Pres Trump stop the messages of A? He tells the FCC to police social media for bias, not for group A, but those in group B.

Pres Trump is telling the FCC to police social media to prevent discrimination against his base, even though most of the hate messages on social media are from his base.

(reading what i just wrote, maybe I should have used Venn Diagrams...)

If you're still here at this point, my congrats.

#12 | Posted by LampLighter at 2019-08-09 08:33 PM | Reply

@#11 ... It's comical how the thread starter is accusing others not being "self aware" when he is one of the least "self aware" posters on this site. ...

I just checked.

I started this thread.

Posted by lamplighter at 02:32 PM | 12 COMMENTS | permalink | Comment on This Entry |

Yet, I've not a clue of what you speak.

Where in this thread (or others) have I accused anyone of not being "self-aware?"

#13 | Posted by LampLighter at 2019-08-09 08:37 PM | Reply

Lamp,

Abortionbreath is wasted.

#14 | Posted by eberly at 2019-08-09 08:42 PM | Reply

#13 | POSTED BY LAMPLIGHTER AT 2019-08-09 08:37 PM | REPLY | FLAG:

I think Not_Aborted_Enough was referencing my comment - though what that had to do with starting the thread is beyond me.

Apparently I'm alt right for being on the left but criticizing what I think are some of the shortcomings of where the left has been going recently. Tragically, I seem to be getting old, and remembering when the left stood for things like peace and freedom of speech, even (gasp) the freedom to offend. They've gotten a little authoritarian for my taste lately and I'd like to see it go back.

It's funny though. Illustrated the point of my first comment perfectly.

#15 | Posted by zeropointnrg at 2019-08-10 12:26 AM | Reply

My mistake. I was responding to another thread started by Zero the fake liberal.
My apologies.