Friday, August 09, 2019

I spent my entire professional life taking up arms in defense of our country, serving in wars from Vietnam to Afghanistan, and ending my service as chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff. During the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan I saw how our ground forces and special forces sought to improve the precision and lethality of their weapons, which took enemy lives and saved their own. Assault weapons are designed to kill as many people as possible in the shortest time possible. These weapons are for war; they are not for sport.

Alternate links: Google News | Twitter

Comments

Now is the time for courage. We must take steps to make our country and its citizens safe from this growing national-security threat by banning these assault weapons with their large magazines, and by putting in place comprehensive and universal background checks without loopholes. The United States accounts for some 4 percent of the global population but holds about 45 percent of the civilian firearms in the world. We are way out of balance.

I have been involved in the use of arms for my entire adult life. I understand what they can do. It is time to act. If we do nothing, many more innocent lives will be needlessly sacrificed -- and the blood of those innocents will continue to flow upon our hands.

#1 | Posted by tonyroma at 2019-08-09 12:08 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Can't wait for Trump's angry tweets about Mullen.

#2 | Posted by danni at 2019-08-09 12:31 PM | Reply

If they handed him an AR15 and sent him into combat, he should be pissed. Why did all the others get fully auto?

#3 | Posted by homerj at 2019-08-09 04:59 PM | Reply | Funny: 1 | Newsworthy 1

Only fpr leftists as the last three massacres proved. About 95% of shooting deaths are handguns. I will never own one.Ineffective against a military weapon.

#4 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2019-08-11 01:16 AM | Reply

Obey your inner Nixon. Ban concealed carry - its not a deterrent. If you open carry everybody knows.

#5 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2019-08-11 01:19 AM | Reply

Don't like black rifles? One with a wood stock will kill you just as quick. Same mechanism, same barrel, same bullet. But the black rifle is scary looking. So much for leftist reality.

#6 | Posted by docnjo at 2019-08-11 09:57 AM | Reply

In the end it's the bullet that matters.

An AR platform shooting .22LR will be far less problematic than one in .223 or .308.

#7 | Posted by jpw at 2019-08-11 12:25 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

#4 | POSTED BY HELIUMRAT AT 2019-08-11 01:16 AM | FLAG:

Handguns are military weapons. Standard issue.

#8 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2019-08-11 02:24 PM | Reply

Does that mean I have to turn my napalm bombs?

#9 | Posted by Sniper at 2019-08-11 05:40 PM | Reply

and the blood of those innocents will continue to flow upon our hands.
#1 | Posted by tonyroma

And Rs don't care as long as the NRA has them by their non-existent nuts.

#10 | Posted by SomebodyElse at 2019-08-11 05:40 PM | Reply