Friday, August 09, 2019

For all its indignities, air travel is also surprisingly democratic -- people of all stripes and shades crammed together into a small metal tube and lofted into the sky. Some of them have service animals, some of which are a hair more exotic than a vested dog. This has caused some spirited debates. But on Thursday, the U.S. Department of Transportation issued its final guidance[1] on the subject and added miniature horses to the list of service animals that can fly in any cabin.   [1] - www.transportation.gov

Comments

LOL sure why not .....

#1 | Posted by AndreaMackris at 2019-08-09 12:29 PM | Reply

@#1

Given the number of doctors who prescribed dangerous opiates to thousands who did not need them, I'd say it is probably pretty easy to find a doctor to designate your pet mini-horse as a service animal.

This one made the local (NYC) news one evening...

Woman with 'emotional support' peacock barred from flight
www.straitstimes.com

...With a peacock perched on her arm, a woman attempted to check in for her flight at a New Jersey airport last Saturday (Jan 27).

She and her "emotional support animal" were turned away by United Airlines despite her offer to buy the bird its own air ticket, US media reported.

In photos posted on travel talk show The Jet Set's Facebook page, the large pheasant could be seen resting on a luggage trolley....

#2 | Posted by LampLighter at 2019-08-09 12:55 PM | Reply

... I have to wonder how difficult it is to have your mini-horse designated as a service animal so that you can take it on an airplane with you? ...

Alex, I'll take "Things I thought I would never post on a message board" for $20.

#3 | Posted by LampLighter at 2019-08-09 01:08 PM | Reply | Funny: 2

We can do better, let's try the following:

Giant Squid
Bee colony

#4 | Posted by visitor_ at 2019-08-09 01:27 PM | Reply | Funny: 2

Oh, and snakes, just don't fly with Samuel L. Jackson.

#5 | Posted by visitor_ at 2019-08-09 01:29 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

This is getting ridiculous.

#6 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2019-08-09 04:51 PM | Reply

Kids are lining up to fly on Epstein's new airline, the My Little Pony Express!

#7 | Posted by snoofy at 2019-08-09 05:21 PM | Reply | Funny: 2

^^ PonyBro

#8 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2019-08-09 05:24 PM | Reply

I take my emotional support "Service" Stallion everywhere!

-Catherine the Great

#9 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2019-08-09 05:51 PM | Reply | Funny: 2

While I have been less than serious on this topic, for some, it is a significant medical issue.

For example, the person with a support monkey. The monkey is trained to sense when the person will have a seizure before the seizure occurs.

The problem I have is the people who exploit such proper and appropriate circumstances for their own attention-getting purposes.

Similar to the militia who do stupid things, like go to a Walmart this week in body camouflage and armor just because he can.

Such abuse of rights hurts us all.

#10 | Posted by LampLighter at 2019-08-09 08:08 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

As long as they pony up the money for the tickets required for the horse. Me I'd say neigh to the idea however.

#11 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2019-08-09 08:12 PM | Reply | Funny: 2

I See "the support animal" thing abused bigtime.

I've seen these (R)tarded snowflakes bring their small dogs into casinos all of the time.
If you need to have a support animal with you, you probably shouldn't be at a casino, sorry!

The smoke, the sounds, and flashing lights are not good for animals.
I've seen these animals literally ---- and piss in the casino, and the animals owner don't care.

#12 | Posted by aborted_monson at 2019-08-09 08:18 PM | Reply

I take my emotional support "Service" Stallion everywhere!

-Catherine the Great

#9 | Posted by Rightocenter

It takes a village. A Potemkin Village.

BTW, Trump's behavior reminds me of what I've read about Peter III.

#13 | Posted by americanunity at 2019-08-09 10:15 PM | Reply

Wait until "my little pony" cuts loose with a stream of urine that just won't stop, or suffers from a massive case of gas, which herbivores are prone to-

#14 | Posted by jrod54 at 2019-08-09 10:53 PM | Reply

So far, have not seen a support pony in an airport.

#15 | Posted by GOnoles92 at 2019-08-10 07:12 AM | Reply

We just seem to go out of our way to find things that we can choose to be stupid about.

How many articles about peoples pets dying, for apparently dubious treatment, because they had to fly as cargo and now some social psychologist has determined that a horse might be a good thing in the passenger compartment.

another example of this idiotic social engineering that begat trump

#16 | Posted by ABlock at 2019-08-10 08:32 AM | Reply

So I have to stow my laptop under the seat because it can become a dangerous flying object but a 100lb unrestrained horse? Just fine!

#17 | Posted by zarnon at 2019-08-10 09:25 AM | Reply | Funny: 1

Should be fine ... Until it kicks my seat.

#18 | Posted by phesterOBoyle at 2019-08-10 09:53 AM | Reply

It takes a village. A Potemkin Village.
BTW, Trump's behavior reminds me of what I've read about Peter III.
#13 | POSTED BY AMERICANUNITY

What animal do you fly with AU? You seem obsessed and in need .....

How does this become about Trump; you know in your mind?

#19 | Posted by AndreaMackris at 2019-08-10 10:24 AM | Reply

Why limit this to miniature horses. It seems Discriminatory.

#20 | Posted by contrecoup at 2019-08-10 11:53 AM | Reply

I have to ask, who cleans up the horse manure? I think this is just ridiculous and unfair to all the other people flying on the plane.

#21 | Posted by danni at 2019-08-10 12:55 PM | Reply

POSTED BY DANNI AT 2019-08-10 12:55 PM | REPLY

They have diapers for them.

www.minihorsefeathers.com

#22 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2019-08-10 01:06 PM | Reply

#19 | Posted by AndreaMackris

The only time I fly with an animal is if I take one of our dogs along for a ride on a plane I'm piloting.

Since you quite evidently don't know your history about this subject: ROC makes a comment about Catherine The Great ... I follow up along those lines. This isn't the first time I've compared Trump with Peter III, who was Catherine's husband. Now you know ...

Have a wonderful rest of your day

#23 | Posted by AMERICANUNITY at 2019-08-10 02:23 PM | Reply

BTW AU, the Catherine the Great story is nothing more than a myth.

#24 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2019-08-10 02:34 PM | Reply

#24 | Posted by Rightocenter

Sure thing :)

That's why there are dozens of history books about her and her reign ... and Grigory Potemkin and her idiot husband.

#25 | Posted by AMERICANUNITY at 2019-08-10 02:40 PM | Reply

I am talking about the horse crushing her during sex...but you knew that, right?

#26 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2019-08-10 02:49 PM | Reply

ROC

Gotcha now. When you said 'stallion' I thought you were referring to one of her many lovers since she is said to have had an incredibly strong sexual appetite.

#27 | Posted by AMERICANUNITY at 2019-08-10 02:59 PM | Reply

BTW, if you ever get the chance to visit the Hermitage, it's really something. The art and architecture are incredible. When my wife and I were there 20 years ago they had an extensive Catherine The Great exhibit on display.

#28 | Posted by AMERICANUNITY at 2019-08-10 03:09 PM | Reply

... so, of course the horse story is a myth. Among the display at the Hermitage were some of her dresses. She wasn't any bigger than Andrew Jackson's wife. Both very diminutive women.

#29 | Posted by AMERICANUNITY at 2019-08-10 03:13 PM | Reply

Went to St. Pete's about 10 years ago when I was visiting relatives in Finland, took the Hydrafoil. The Hermitage is awesome, I encourage everyone to look it up on the internet if they have no intention of ever visiting Russia.

#30 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2019-08-10 03:27 PM | Reply

Bull-Dogs too. But hey if you need a miniature horse as a service animal, okay.

I cried when my unicorn bought it. But gun accidents will happen.

#31 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2019-08-10 03:39 PM | Reply

#30 | Posted by Rightocenter

Peterhof Palace(s) and grounds was pretty spectacular as well. Tour guide said it was built during a period of 'palace wars' when Peter the Great was trying to outdo Louis XIV's newly built Versaille. Oh, and the Faberge Museum, in yet another beautiful palace.

#32 | Posted by AMERICANUNITY at 2019-08-10 10:42 PM | Reply

Tour guide said it (The Grand Palace, that is) was built during a period of 'palace wars'

#33 | Posted by AMERICANUNITY at 2019-08-10 10:44 PM | Reply

There seem to be beautiful buildings just about everywhere you turn in St Petersburg, aren't there? My wife and I went to a couple of churches that were ornate and impressive too. In 2017, I went to Sweden with my cousin and we hopped a flight from Stockholm to St Petersburg for a couple of days. The restoration they did on the palace where the new Faberge Museum was very impressive. Museums all over the place. Quite a city! One of these days I'd like to visit Kiev ...

#34 | Posted by americanunity at 2019-08-11 12:15 AM | Reply

Airlines Must Allow Miniature Horses as Service Animals

What a joke.

#35 | Posted by PinchALoaf at 2019-08-11 12:28 AM | Reply

... so, of course the horse story is a myth. a very diminutive woman.

#29 | Posted by AMERICANUNITY

A. the thread is about diminutive horses
B. have you been to tijuana

#36 | Posted by ABlock at 2019-08-11 01:02 AM | Reply | Funny: 2

What a joke.

POSTED BY PINCHALOAF AT 2019-08-11 12:28 AM | REPLY

Neigh it's not.

#37 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2019-08-11 01:03 AM | Reply

#36 | Posted by ABlock

Ha ha, yes. Enough times to have learned the "will you take this cash and pay my fine when you get back to the stattion" when I'd get pulled over for nothing but cops looking to make a couple extra bucks.

Never seen a donkey show .. or had any desire to.

#38 | Posted by AMERICANUNITY at 2019-08-11 01:07 AM | Reply

PS - If you go through Tijuana try that. It works every time. Usually a $20 bill does the trick.

#39 | Posted by AMERICANUNITY at 2019-08-11 01:21 AM | Reply

Excuse me, but I've never heard of a house trained horse. Who has to clean it up? Can the smell ever be removed?

#40 | Posted by bayviking at 2019-08-11 09:11 AM | Reply

Can the smell ever be removed?
....................#40 | Posted by bayviking

don't even know why i'm posting this but it came up the other day and the woman was so happy, anyways....

for you folks who've had urine odor problems, rentals, old pets, new pets there's a product that most people

are unaware of that will eliminate urine (ammonia) odors completely...no after smells period.

PDZ stall sweetener. call your local farm supply. it's very cheap. you can sprinkle it over a reeking carpet

and sweep it in let it sit an hour or so and vacuum it up. it's a natural product that actually encapsulates the

ammonia. totally unscented. totally safe for your new renters children to pee on again lol

#41 | Posted by ABlock at 2019-08-11 03:55 PM | Reply