Sunday, August 11, 2019

On their face, this facts are simple: our planet's magnetic poles have traded places with some frequency over Earth's history. At points in the past, compass needles would point south instead of north. But look into the details of these transitions and things will get considerably more complicated.

Comments

Huh. That explains me. If I'm any example, its coming guys. It's coming.

#1 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2019-08-11 11:50 AM | Reply

Magnetic north just changed. Here's what that means. (February 2019)
www.nationalgeographic.com

...Magnetic north has never sat still. In the last hundred years or so, the direction in which our compasses steadfastly point has lumbered ever northward, driven by Earth's churning liquid outer core some 1,800 miles beneath the surface. Yet in recent years, scientists noticed something unusual: Magnetic north's routine plod has shifted into high gear, sending it galloping across the Northern Hemisphere -- and no one can entirely explain why....

#2 | Posted by LampLighter at 2019-08-11 12:55 PM | Reply

@#1 ... That explains me. ...

Nah... I think you are beyond explanation.

(said in the best of sense)

#3 | Posted by LampLighter at 2019-08-11 12:56 PM | Reply

Interesting article. It's a good thing we have GPS navigation nowadays ...

First thing I thought of when I saw the thread title was Immanuel Velikovsky's trio of books, including Earth In Upheaval in which he suggested the Earth actually flipped upside down on its axis. Interesting reads if nothing else.

#4 | Posted by AMERICANUNITY at 2019-08-11 01:08 PM | Reply

Trump's fault

#5 | Posted by goatman at 2019-08-11 08:48 PM | Reply

Trump's fault

#5 | Posted by goatman

Trump would blame the democrats but this issue is way above his mental capacity. He'd fall asleep if someone tried explaining it to him unless it was a teenage girl in a bikini.

#6 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2019-08-11 09:12 PM | Reply

#6 -- again, thanks Cap'n obvious. I think most of us know that political blame gaming is how American politcs are today. But then again, I thought most people would get the joke of my post, but you didn't, so I could be wrong on thinking most people understand political blame gaming.

#7 | Posted by goatman at 2019-08-11 09:16 PM | Reply

#7 | Posted by goatman

Trump gets blame because he deserves it. Only his cult members deny it.

#8 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2019-08-11 09:18 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 3

"The joke of your post is that you think trump gets blamed for things which aren't his fault, in an attempt to defend him regarding all of the things that ARE his fault, all wrapped up in a snarky little "just kidding."
Trump gets blame because he deserves it. Only his cult members deny it.

#8 | POSTED BY SPEAKSOFTLY "

Thank you for your unsubstantiated opinion. Ffacts and speaksoftly, never the twain shall meet.

#9 | Posted by goatman at 2019-08-11 09:21 PM | Reply

#9 | Posted by goatman

Goatman prefers ALTERNATIVE facts.

#10 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2019-08-11 09:27 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

- your unsubstantiated opinion

Does Speaks have any other kind?

- his cult members
#8 | POSTED BY SPEAKSOFTLY

...for example.

#11 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2019-08-11 09:29 PM | Reply

"Goatman prefers ALTERNATIVE facts.

#10 | POSTED BY SPEAKSOFTLY "

"Facts" is the key word. YOu just plain make ---- up.

#12 | Posted by goatman at 2019-08-11 09:38 PM | Reply

Wow, a thread about magnetic pole shifting being dragged down by a troll.

Thanks, Goatman.

#13 | Posted by AMERICANUNITY at 2019-08-11 09:40 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

"Thanks, Goatman.

#13 | POSTED BY AMERICANUNITY "

Did you thank pinchaloaf for a completely unrovoked personal attack made against me on the Jupiter picture thread?? Of course not. Because you have a hard on for goatman, but not pinchaloaf. LOL

If you were consistent, I'd apologize. But your responses are based one one thing: Who is on "Your side" and who iesn't.

Spare me your faux outrage, please.

Besides, mine was obviously a joke based on the endless "Bush's fault" jokes made by the left and right from previous posts. YHOu honestly didn't catch that? LOL Whatever, dude. I hate to say itk but go back to rolling Nulli. I don't need a puppy dog.

#14 | Posted by goatman at 2019-08-11 09:55 PM | Reply

#14 | Posted by goatman at 2019-08-11 09:55 PM | Reply | Flag: Useless POS

#15 | Posted by Angrydad at 2019-08-11 10:02 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

Do not worry as the dems/libs/progs have a plan to stop/reverse this from happening, and all you need to do is live your life as they deem fit [direct] and pay most of your income to them [in taxes]. BUT, we must hurry as the world as we know it will end in 10 years if we do not. This is' settled science we have no choice but to obey the directives of our libbie masters.

#16 | Posted by MSgt at 2019-08-11 10:16 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

"#14 | Posted by goatman at 2019-08-11 09:55 PM | Reply | Flag: Useless POS

#15 | POSTED BY ANGRYDAD A"

Profound. (for you, anyway) Where do you come up with these world class zingers? LOL

#17 | Posted by goatman at 2019-08-11 10:23 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

Did you thank pinchaloaf for a completely unprovoked personal attack made against me on the Jupiter picture thread??

Spare me your faux outrage, please.

I don't need a puppy dog.

#14 | POSTED BY GOATMAN

Goatman reaching for the moral high ground?

Hilarious ~

Who does Goatman think he is, Hillary Clinton?

#18 | Posted by PinchALoaf at 2019-08-11 10:29 PM | Reply

We need this solved now. Dems - quick - implement a tax on all magnetic materials. Put a sin tax on iron. That will solve it! This would be as effective as the MMGW solutions proposed at least.

#19 | Posted by iragoldberg at 2019-08-11 11:36 PM | Reply

"If we don't act now, our poles will flip in 10 years" - Al Gore

#20 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2019-08-11 11:43 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

Thanks obama.

#21 | Posted by Ottodog at 2019-08-12 01:17 AM | Reply

Apparently when I came out as transgender the earth couldn't handle the news. It sure shook Jeff up. My terrible.

#22 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2019-08-12 01:21 AM | Reply

#4 | Posted by AMERICANUNITY

did you ever read something as a kid and it just stuck in the back of your mind forever? when I was probably 11 or 12 I read an article in Readers Digest and it talked about scientists finding examples of a terrible world wide event that pretty much destroyed everything.
they claimed that it was caused by the earth shifting on it's axis. their evidence offered was animal remains completely torn apart and vegetation embedded in animals and tree trunks. never have forgotten that

#23 | Posted by ABlock at 2019-08-12 03:28 AM | Reply

#23 | Posted by ABlock

Sure do. Readers Digest was always on the kitchen table. I read it cover to cover every month like you probably did as well.

#24 | Posted by AMERICANUNITY at 2019-08-12 06:48 AM | Reply

This article fascinated me. The descent into political back biting and stupid finger pointing on a topic with no political nexus, doesn't... But meh. It's the Retort.

Anyway. If the poles reversed tomorrow. What would happen? Would we all have a good laugh as our gps needed a quick calibration? Or would there be systemic and society crushing problems?

On the surface it seems like we would have a rough few weeks as software was updated to compensate for the shift. But would ie be more? Food doesn't get delivered, medicine can't arrive too end users, and now we have riots and looting all over the world?

Reading the article, I guess it would depend on how weak the magnetic field became. If it gets too weak, solar radiation is going to cook everyone anyway.

Just fascinated by these kinds of events.

#25 | Posted by ABH at 2019-08-12 08:21 AM | Reply

#24 | Posted by AMERICANUNITY

remember the condensed novels in the back? i read them always but the only one i remember reading was "Green Mansions"

#26 | Posted by ABlock at 2019-08-12 08:56 AM | Reply

What's your opinion of the Charles Hapgood theory of sudden cataclysmic pole shift? Is it psuedoscience? It fascinated Albert Einstein.

And leads one also to wonder about the Flood Myths that are not just in the Bible but in many other cultures from around the world.

#27 | Posted by shane at 2019-08-12 04:21 PM | Reply

Some Vegas strippers fault.

#28 | Posted by lee_the_agent at 2019-08-12 07:40 PM | Reply

The magnetic poles flipping are nothing like the Earth itself flipping.

#29 | Posted by YAV at 2019-08-12 11:17 PM | Reply

#26 | Posted by ABlock

Sure do. Can't remember what any of them were, but I've been a voracious reader since I was a kid. RD got me interested in all kinds of things. A love of reading is one of them.

#30 | Posted by AMERICANUNITY at 2019-08-13 04:29 AM | Reply

The North Pole is moving faster than ever.

www.popsci.com

#31 | Posted by goatman at 2019-08-13 05:50 AM | Reply

The north magnetic pole has always been moving, in modern history. But recently it has been moving more quickly.... - #2 | Posted by LampLighter at 2019-08-11 12:55 PM

Must be global warming.
/s

#32 | Posted by Avigdore at 2019-08-13 07:55 AM | Reply

On the last flip, humans developed consciousness, now the reverse maybe happening. Proof? An Orangeutan as Prez.

#33 | Posted by CrisisStills at 2019-08-13 11:34 AM | Reply | Funny: 1