Sunday, August 11, 2019

I have a very severe allergy to mushrooms. I carry an EpiPen, and I have been hospitalized multiple times because of exposure to this food. One time, I began convulsing in the ambulance on the way to the hospital. My husband politely explained this to his parents when we started dating, and I was invited to family meals. Since then, most meals we have shared at my in-laws' house have had very limited options for me.

Comments

She may be allergic to mushrooms but it's nuts that are killing her.

#1 | Posted by Tor at 2019-08-11 10:28 PM | Reply | Funny: 2

Sounds like everyone's an ass -.- inlaws for their fungi fascination and the daughter in law for eating there in the first placee. I mean, if I was allergic to something and it was pretty mjuch guaranteed the place I was going to eat had that food, I wouldn't go there. Geez, why does she think she is entitled? Ignore the mushroom people, lady. Or bring your own food. Yes, I know, but bring it anyway.

#2 | Posted by goatman at 2019-08-11 10:49 PM | Reply

At first blush I'd say this gal hitched herself to a mamma's boy who never got a handle on that "forsaking all others" line in his marriage vows.

I base that opinion on my own "been there, done that."

#3 | Posted by Twinpac at 2019-08-11 10:51 PM | Reply

A PB&J will last you most of the day
take a Snickers along for a snack
if they don't serve
the food you think you deserve
then leave and never go back

#4 | Posted by ABlock at 2019-08-12 01:56 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Her husband is a putz.

#5 | Posted by fresno500 at 2019-08-12 03:31 AM | Reply

It's past time to get a different man. What a louse he is.

#6 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2019-08-12 03:38 AM | Reply

Geez, why does she think she is entitled?

EXACTLY! Why should the husband's family shed a lifetime of habits because of her allergy? However, it's not unreasonable that the family should prepare a (properly labelled) dish or two that do not contain the allergen.

She should 1) eat her fill prior to going to these gathering; 2) bring properly labelled dishes that she can eat that can be shared. By preparing and sharing dishes that she can eat, other family members may like them and prepare them for the next gathering.

#7 | Posted by FedUpWithPols at 2019-08-12 05:45 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

She should be done with that family for good. They tried to kill her. Don't ever give them another chance. Mushroom powder in the potatoes, come on, I've never even heard of mushroom powder and I certainly wouldn't put it in the potatoes. Polly got it exactly right, those folks are ------- crazy. If it were me I'd tell my husband that I would never go to their home again and neither would my children. If he wants to go just telll him to tell them that they should never expect me to ever go to any family event ever. Those folks would be dead to me.

#8 | Posted by danni at 2019-08-12 07:35 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

DANNI

She should be careful. The husband may be an accomplice.

#9 | Posted by Twinpac at 2019-08-12 08:00 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Danni is right, that's not disrespect, it's almost criminal...

#10 | Posted by hoser at 2019-08-12 08:13 AM | Reply

"DANNI
She should be careful. The husband may be an accomplice."

But she has children with him so she is stuck sharing custody with him. From the article she said he supported her. They should move to another state and forget about that family forever.

#11 | Posted by danni at 2019-08-12 08:21 AM | Reply

This sounds eerily similar to the "she shouldn't have dressed like a ---- or gone to that party if she didn't want to get raped" arguments. No surprise it's coming from Scrotman.

#12 | Posted by JOE at 2019-08-12 08:27 AM | Reply

Over the years with kids, we have seen some kids claim to have a food allergy and it's --------.

But These inlaws are --------....some food allergies are real. very real.

#13 | Posted by eberly at 2019-08-12 08:42 AM | Reply

Be nice to your in-laws! Bake 'em a cake, like I did that woman I worked for!
--Minny Jackson

#14 | Posted by catdog at 2019-08-12 09:13 AM | Reply | Funny: 1

DANNI
She should be careful. The husband may be an accomplice.
#9 | POSTED BY TWINPAC AT 2019-08-12 08:00 AM

#15 | Posted by redlightrobot at 2019-08-12 09:16 AM | Reply

What a crap treatment from the in-laws. Surprised that this wasn't sorted out before they were engaged let alone married.

Also kind of why I try not to date women with food allergies lol

#16 | Posted by GOnoles92 at 2019-08-12 09:28 AM | Reply

Potential Murder...man you all have flipped completely out.

#17 | Posted by ABlock at 2019-08-12 09:45 AM | Reply

Potential Murder...man you all have flipped completely out.
#17 | POSTED BY ABLOCK AT 2019-08-12 09:45 AM

It's a deadly allergenic reaction, the family was informed and I agree with Danni that mushroom powder in the potatoes is ridiculously obvious.

Have you ever met anyone with a deadly allergy to bee stings? They must use that Epipen within seconds or they will not survive. This is the exact same condition.

#18 | Posted by redlightrobot at 2019-08-12 10:00 AM | Reply

#18 | Posted by redlightrobot

it's happened more than once. does the woman not have some personal responsibility other than write to an advice column

who are her in-laws and what do they say..they seem to all be aware.

if you're that allergic to bee stings...be keeping might be something you should try to avoid

is she creating a paper trail for her law suit/divorce?

#19 | Posted by ABlock at 2019-08-12 10:44 AM | Reply

REDLIGHT

"If this story is true, then yes, her husband is aware and accommodating the potential murder. I would be interested to know if there is a nice insurance policy involved, or something substantial to gain."

Yeah, full custody of the children and no support payments.

#20 | Posted by Twinpac at 2019-08-12 11:23 AM | Reply

ADBLOCK

"is she creating a paper trail for her law suit/divorce?"

I hope so.

#21 | Posted by Twinpac at 2019-08-12 11:25 AM | Reply

I'm guessing she developed the allergy after hearing about Trump's 'mushroom'?

#22 | Posted by JeffJ at 2019-08-12 09:53 PM | Reply

Yep, everyone should cater to her. When she passes, should we all get on our knees and bow? Just want to make sure we do everything she wants so we don't get an article written about me not respecting the millionth "unique" thing I have to cater to in my life.

#23 | Posted by humtake at 2019-08-13 12:26 PM | Reply

"Just want to make sure we do everything she wants so we don't get an article written about me not respecting the millionth "unique" thing I have to cater to in my life."

So...if your daughter was allergic to peanuts, you'd continue to give her a PBJ for lunch every day?

How -------- hard is it to show a little compassion? The bride and I have out-of-town guests coming next week, and I wanted to show off my new cooking skills and make a roasted prime rib. I've tried the recipe three times, and it's killer.

Then my wife reminded me one of our friends has a digestive problem, and can't eat a lot of red meat.

So I changed the menu. BFD.

#24 | Posted by Danforth at 2019-08-13 12:32 PM | Reply

#23 | POSTED BY HUMTAKE AT 2019-08-13 12:26 PM

Decency aside, why are "social conservatives" posts diverge away from common sense?

Your reaction seems to blame the victim, this is a running theme. Cruelty, "make them cry" - which I don't believe is so much a lack of empathy, but a misuse. You understand it's a horrible dilemma, but by publishing and nation-shaming her in-laws the victim is become an abusive snowflake!? Absurd life issues? Do you share something with the victim and believe they are not acting "tough enough" by enduring like you've had to? I love spinach, so helped others by eating theirs. But I seriously dislike cilantro and am of no use there. Some people just dislike certain food, but in this instance the food dislikes the digestor. Actually, her throat would begin swelling shut the moment she shovels it inside of her mouth as it touches her cheeks, tongue and lips, then it's either swallow and her throat will swell shut sooner, or spit it out. Inflammation response is a brilliant preventative behavior but can be triggered haphazardly. Everything is poison, nothing is poison.

As for catering - that's all she would need though, isn't it? And a good family does just that - millions and billions throughout just your own lifetime. We capitulate and agree upon menus every single day. What is unique is her family risking her life so deliberately. Does your family share in your disrespectful, backwards contributions unfit for consumption? I go extra effort if I get a chance, some people I guess just don't enjoy food?! I mill soaked almonds to add to wheat flour for extra rich density in my pineapple upside-down cake. I also make a deadly berry buckle, blueberry is my favorite, but sour cream and cherry or strawberry rhubarb are also swell. A nut allergy is not necessarily the same as an allergy to "nuts".

Down on your knees?

#25 | Posted by redlightrobot at 2019-08-13 05:44 PM | Reply

Oh, yeah and the eyes watering is an instant giveaway. As if you can look across the table and watch your step-daughter choke, snot and tear-up is a thing because preparing an entirely separate "portion" without mushroom is uncalled for.

#26 | Posted by redlightrobot at 2019-08-13 05:49 PM | Reply

Pardon me, daughter-in-law. But still, she's experiencing something terrifying and you would just cross your arms and tisk at her tears. Such balls-lessness.

#27 | Posted by redlightrobot at 2019-08-13 05:59 PM | Reply

Anybody wanna make bets on which political party her husband's family supports?

#28 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2019-08-13 06:01 PM | Reply

"Anybody wanna make bets on which political party her husband's family supports?

#28 | POSTED BY SPEAKSOFTLY "

No. There's no way of knowing with the information given

#29 | Posted by goatman at 2019-08-13 06:14 PM | Reply

Pretty sure it's the party that wears shirts that say "facts dont careabout your feelings" and "i eat red meat and ride loud toys, if you dont like it,LEAVE"

#30 | Posted by JOE at 2019-08-13 06:20 PM | Reply

How -------- hard is it to show a little compassion?

#24 | Posted by Danforth

It's easy for decent people. It's hard for 40% of the country.

#31 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2019-08-13 06:24 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Speak,

You're not trying to make this political are you?

I agree with one earlier post this man is a "mama's boy".

Mother can't turn loose and he doesn't mind.

#32 | Posted by BillJohnson at 2019-08-13 07:19 PM | Reply

"Speak, Speak,

You're not trying to make this political are you?

#32 | POSTED BY BILLJOHNSON "

She is. She sees evil republicans every where she looks, and imagines them where she doesn't.

#33 | Posted by goatman at 2019-08-13 07:26 PM | Reply

#33 | Posted by goatman

Evil is as evil does. As long as you defend and deflect for the agents of evil, then that's what you are encouraging.

Don't whine about your actions having consequences.

#34 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2019-08-13 07:34 PM | Reply

The family is clearly trying to kill this woman.

Some moms never get over losing their son to another woman.

#35 | Posted by ClownShack at 2019-08-13 07:36 PM | Reply

"Don't whine about your actions having consequences.

#34 | POSTED BY SPEAKSOFTLY A"

???

I wasn't. I was stating that you see evil republicans every where you look and imagine them where you don't. My post had nothing to do with actions having consequences. Reading and reading comprehension are fundamental.

#36 | Posted by goatman at 2019-08-13 07:38 PM | Reply

#36 | Posted by goatman

#37 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2019-08-13 08:05 PM | Reply

"You're whining about being called evil. The way to fix that is to stop being evil, not to whine that it's not fair that evil people who do evil things are called evil all the time.

#37 | POSTED BY SPEAKSOFTLY "

No, I wasn't. Why do you lie so much especially when you can so easily be disproven with this thing called the PGUP key. Assigning false positions is also a logical fallacy. Learn this.

#38 | Posted by goatman at 2019-08-13 08:10 PM | Reply

#38 | Posted by goatman

So use your PGUP key. You said I have to IMAGINE evil republicans. No imagination required.

#39 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2019-08-13 08:23 PM | Reply

"So use your PGUP key. You said I have to IMAGINE evil republicans.

#39 | Posted by SpeakSoftly"

Yes, I did say that, Ms. Deflection. What does that have to do with your lie I called you out on?

#40 | Posted by goatman at 2019-08-13 08:39 PM | Reply

#40 | Posted by goatman

What lie? YOu're included in that group.

#41 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2019-08-13 08:44 PM | Reply

"What lie? YOu're included in that group.

#41 | Posted by SpeakSoftly"

Well, the first one (actually two in the same sentence) I came across with one single PGUP.

"You're whining about being called evil."

1) I wasn't whining 2) I said nothing about being called evil.

You are so pathological, you don't even remember your own lies, do you? So sad. It seriously is, man (it is, "man", isn't it, in spite of what you claimed a few years ago?)

#42 | Posted by goatman at 2019-08-13 08:49 PM | Reply

1) I wasn't whining 2) I said nothing about being called evil.

#42 | Posted by goatman

Yes you were, and you are included in the evil that enables trump.

I must say, I didn't miss you while you were gone.

You have exactly 2 tricks: TO QUOQUE responses- pretending there is no difference between IMPERFECT and TERRIBLE- and then tying yourself in to knots with semantics games to avoid the larger issue.

Nothing has changed in years. Carry on. I'll keep calling you out.

#43 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2019-08-14 11:07 AM | Reply

Carry on. I'll keep calling you out.

#43 | POSTED BY SPEAKSOFTLY

You sure are a tough guy, Fredo.

#44 | Posted by nullifidian at 2019-08-14 11:11 AM | Reply | Funny: 1

You sure are a tough guy, Fredo.

#44 | Posted by nullifidian

I could be a paraplegic in a wheelchair and still be able to call out idiocy and evil where I see it.

Anything else to offer?