Wednesday, August 14, 2019

At a time when we are becoming increasingly aware of social inclusiveness, political correctness, and the importance of representation, we are forced to re-examine the media of older eras in a new light. Then you have South Park.

Comments

Shock television became shock politics virtually overnight.

Oh my God! They Killed Jeffy!

#1 | Posted by pumpkinhead at 2019-08-14 01:07 PM | Reply | Funny: 4

South Park is on the front page of the mighty Drudge Retort ...

woot! Woot!! WOOT!!!

Best SP episode, hands down, is this one ...

South Park - Major Boobage - "Take a Ride"
youtu.be
[1:12]

If it weren't for South Park, Ren & Stimpy, Beavis and --------, Family Guy ... American culture would be in REALLY bad shape.

Sure, tbe heyday of the aforementioned TV shows are have mostly gone away, but they still tower as Rock of Gibraltar-like pillars of what's important culturally, and what passes for super high quality American entertainment.

#2 | Posted by PinchALoaf at 2019-08-14 02:28 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

"...but they still tower as Rock of Gibraltar-like pillars of what's important ..."

I can't say since I don't watch TV, but here's a fun fact on that: The Rock of Gibraltar is hollow. It's riddled with caves, one of which was a British hospital during WW2.

#3 | Posted by goatman at 2019-08-14 02:41 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

#3 | POSTED BYGOATMAN

That is a fun fact.

See, we CAN agree!

#4 | Posted by PinchALoaf at 2019-08-14 02:45 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

I haven't watched them in a while but they certainly do look at current events and make a comment...

I know The Simpsons aren't AS edgy but I dare label them as the start of this and they are still going.

#5 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2019-08-14 04:00 PM | Reply

About the time Trump leave's office South Park will go off the air.

Why?

Because Russia weaponized their style of humor.

#6 | Posted by Tor at 2019-08-14 04:15 PM | Reply

#5 | POSTED BYGALAXIEPETE

I knew I was forgetting one ...

I was on The Simpsons at the beginning, and while I haven't watched them in a really long time, big ups and mad respect to Matt Groening.

#7 | Posted by PinchALoaf at 2019-08-14 04:22 PM | Reply

Another fun fact. This one about Beavis and --------.

Their creator, Mike Judge, used to be in a band with a guy I went to High school with, Anson Funderburgh. Some of y'all might have heard of him. He's a well known blues artist. His dad was janitor at my elementary school. His mom worked in the school cafeteria. In High school, he dated the girl who lived behind me.

Anyway, Mike Judge modeled Beavis after Anson. Take a look at at Anson and the resemblance is obvious.

i.ytimg.com

#8 | Posted by goatman at 2019-08-14 04:34 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

Funderburgh sounds like what a guy with a mouthful of potato chips saying 'thunderbird' would sound like.

#9 | Posted by AMERICANUNITY at 2019-08-14 11:13 PM | Reply

#9 I had a feeling you would know him. Great Bluesman.

My sister and brother in law (whom you've met) saw him in Colorado. D' went backstage after the show (I have a bold sister!) and thogh Anson knew3 me, he did not know my sister. My sister asked if he was from Plano. She said he cautiously answered, "Yes". D' introduced herself and they had a good time after that.

#10 | Posted by goatman at 2019-08-14 11:18 PM | Reply

#10 | Posted by goatman

Cool story. BTW, I enjoyed meeting them.

#11 | Posted by AMERICANUNITY at 2019-08-14 11:33 PM | Reply

who is behind the degeneratization of western society? Find out who owns/runs these media corporations and you shall see.

#12 | Posted by mutant at 2019-08-14 11:46 PM | Reply

Al Bundy wouldn't exist if tried today

#13 | Posted by Petrous at 2019-08-15 12:11 PM | Reply

Since people, deep down, know that being a snowflake is all just for show so Liberals can claim a morale high ground as if they care (just so people think they are good because for some reason Liberals MUST be liked by others or they go insane), it's something they can watch and claim it is offensive in any way they feel, thus making more snowflakes like them as a person, thus giving them the feeling they are good people. For Cons, they don't take everything so literally and offensively so they just laugh because it's fantastic comedy. Pretty easy answer, actually.

#14 | Posted by humtake at 2019-08-15 12:21 PM | Reply