Thursday, August 15, 2019

The Supreme Court's liberal minority forged winning alliances in unexpected rulings throughout the 2018-2019 term, suggesting the newly entrenched conservative majority is hardly a cohesive unit. Each of the conservative justices crossed over to form a 5-4 majority with the liberal bloc at least once. A total of 10 decisions featured a five-justice majority with four liberals and one conservative. By contrast, the conservative justices joined together to form a five-member majority in seven cases.

That data point should not be overstated. The court's personnel are more substantively conservative than they have been in decades, and the five Republican appointees delivered real victories for the right in the past term. But the complex questions posed in many Supreme Court cases, in tandem with the interesting and meaningful differences among the conservative justices, make the right-leaning majority neither predictable nor monolithic.

Comments

I don't usually even click on Daily Caller articles, but I thought this was interesting, including the barely concealed anguish from the author that Gorsuch, Kavanaugh and even Alito would align themselves with Ginsberg and Sotomayor on rulings this term.

The Horrors!

#1 | Posted by leftcoastlawyer at 2019-08-15 12:10 PM | Reply

"I usually don't bla, bla"

We know. You as Rightoecentre usually does though

Plonked

#2 | Posted by ChiefTutMoses at 2019-08-15 03:45 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

Plonked
#2 | POSTED BY CHIEFTUTMOSES FLAG: HAHAHAHAHA!

Oh no! Don't deprive LeftCoast of your precious viewership!

#3 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2019-08-15 04:08 PM | Reply | Funny: 2

#4 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2019-08-15 05:26 PM | Reply

--I'm jealous...I wish CocoChiefSamIamVilleMosesTard would plonk me rather than following me around with his nose touching my prostate.

I feel the same way about my little stalkers like JPWitless.

#5 | Posted by nullifidian at 2019-08-15 05:48 PM | Reply

#4, #5,

You Trolls are so tender.

#6 | Posted by oldwhiskeysour at 2019-08-15 06:07 PM | Reply

"You Trolls are so tender.

#6 | POSTED BY OLDWHISKEYSOUR "

Just like that snowflake who put up a thread whining about me, wouldn't you agree?

Oh, wait.....

#7 | Posted by goatman at 2019-08-15 06:08 PM | Reply

Come on, OldWhineySnowflake was only "welcoming" you back, Goat.

#8 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2019-08-15 06:27 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

OWS should change his name to ChickenTenders

#9 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2019-08-15 06:43 PM | Reply