Saturday, August 17, 2019

Peter Fonda, son of Henry Fonda, younger brother of Jane Fonda and father of Bridget Fonda has died at the age of 79. The family confirmed to People magazine that the actor died after suffering respiratory failure due to lung cancer.

Comments

We blew it.

#1 | Posted by lee_the_agent at 2019-08-16 07:15 PM | Reply

'I know what it's like to be dead.'

-Peter Fonda to John Lennon

Now they both know?

#2 | Posted by lee_the_agent at 2019-08-16 07:17 PM | Reply

#3 LOL.

#4 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2019-08-16 11:39 PM | Reply

#3,

What the hell is that?

#5 | Posted by boaz at 2019-08-17 08:08 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

That was a rant from Peter Fonda made last year.

#6 | Posted by nullifidian at 2019-08-17 09:21 AM | Reply

#6 Then he should have posted a link or quoted the post attributing Fonda. I was with Boaz, WHF?

#7 | Posted by gracieamazed at 2019-08-17 10:24 AM | Reply

The only real claim to fame Peter Fonda ever did was the making of the iconic movie "Easy Rider" (1969), that he co-wrote, produced and acted in.

It's essentially the story of two drug-pusher/biker-bums and their cross country exploits. An entire generation heroized those two characters.

#8 | Posted by shane at 2019-08-17 01:36 PM | Reply

"The only thing I have to say about Peter Fonda is; he was nothing like his father."

The times were changing. The Vietnam war was raging when Peter was young, it was no time for unthinking blind patriotism. Peter was on the right side of history.

#9 | Posted by danni at 2019-08-17 02:44 PM | Reply

The Battle Over Captain America, the Chopper from "Easy Rider"

www.maxim.com

You too can be a counter culture hero... all it takes is a credit card...

#10 | Posted by Pegasus at 2019-08-17 03:32 PM | Reply

He was almost as old as Dulli, so rants can be forgiven.

He had some good film roles, but was never likely to live up to his father's screen presence and resume of films.

He did star in one classic generational film, though. RIP

#11 | Posted by Corky at 2019-08-17 05:13 PM | Reply

-Peter was on the right side of history.

Maybe. But not a good actor.

#12 | Posted by eberly at 2019-08-17 06:13 PM | Reply

-- right side of history.

One of those smug, arrogant phrases that true believers use, like similar phrases such as "God is on our side."

#13 | Posted by nullifidian at 2019-08-17 06:34 PM | Reply

Or like, "Trump isn't do bad compared to Dems".

Fun game.

#14 | Posted by Corky at 2019-08-17 08:47 PM | Reply

Easy Rider is a terrible movie.

#15 | Posted by lee_the_agent at 2019-08-17 08:50 PM | Reply

--Easy Rider is a terrible movie.

Well if you don't like that, there are other Fonda classics like "The Trip."

It's like, far out, man.

#16 | Posted by nullifidian at 2019-08-17 08:58 PM | Reply

--Easy Rider is a terrible movie.

Which is why it is on the curricula of almost every American Cinema class at UCLA, USC, NYU and Columbia along with other "terrible" films like Steamboat Willie, Gone with the Wind and Apocalypse Now.

#17 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2019-08-17 09:45 PM | Reply

I must admit that Apocalypse Now is the only one of those I've seen.

#18 | Posted by REDIAL at 2019-08-17 09:49 PM | Reply

Henry Fonda did a good GAF commercial.

Peter Fonda being on the correct side of history never had to ride an AMF Harley.

#19 | Posted by LesWit at 2019-08-17 09:49 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

--I must admit that Apocalypse Now is the only one of those I've seen.

That's pretty good. Skip "Gone with the Wind," one of the overrated movies ever. It's a real snoozefest, with cringe-worthy dialogue, an obnoxious heroine, laugh out loud melodrama, etc.

#20 | Posted by nullifidian at 2019-08-17 10:09 PM | Reply

I like Apocalypse Now, though it is too long.

I like 'Hearts of Darkness: A Filmmaker's Apocalypse' even more ... m.imdb.com

The strained making of 'Apocalypse Now'

www.independent.co.uk

Dead bodies, heart attacks, wild parties, cocaine binges, Marlon Brando's belly and breakdowns. Thirty years on, Robert Sellers revisits the making of 'Apocalypse Now'

If things had worked out differently, Apocalypse Now would have been directed by George Lucas in 1970, guerrilla-style in Vietnam itself, while the conflict was still raging.

Rightly, no studio would finance such an exploit, for fear that Charlie might dislodge the film-maker's lower intestines with a well-aimed bazooka shell.

Francis Ford Coppola's vision was far greater, far more artistic and far more bonkers. As he later raved during a Cannes press conference, his film wasn't about Vietnam, "It is Vietnam!"

It was expected to be a 14-week shoot in the Philippines, beginning in the spring of 1976, but logistics, weather and general disasters conspired against the film.

Worse, Coppola fired his leading man, Harvey Keitel, after two weeks, replacing him with Martin Sheen, who was then nursing private demons of his own, namely booze.

When Sheen arrived, he found chaos.

Coppola was writing the movie as he went along and firing personnel, people were coming down with varioustropical diseases and the helicopters used in the combat sequences were constantly recalled by President Marcos to fight his own war against anti-government rebels.

The documentary that chronicles the making of the movie is practically better than the movie itself.

And the entire above Independent UK link is also just as entertaining ~

#21 | Posted by PinchALoaf at 2019-08-17 10:13 PM | Reply

#21 Wow...I need to see that. I love Apocalypse Now. I'd love to have seen it on the big screen.

#22 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2019-08-17 10:16 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

You're in luck.

Apocalypse Now Final Cut to be released in cinemas this summer
y Clark Collis April 28, 2019 at 10:40 PM EDT

ew.com

#23 | Posted by nullifidian at 2019-08-17 10:23 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

From the Independent UK link in post # 21 ...

Years later, when Hickenlooper made his documentary, most of the stars and crew were happy to talk about the movie, except Brando.

Hickenlooper tracked him down to the set of a movie and made his move.

"'Mr Brando, we're making a documentary on Apocalypse Now, would you be prepared to do an on-camera interview?'"

Brando turned round and stared like death into Hickenlooper's face.

"Why are you making a film about that fat ----, he owes me $2m."

Obviously, Brando was having issues with his royalty checks from Coppola.

"You tell that fat ---- that if he pays me the two million, you can film me taking a ----."

With that, the trailer door slammed shut. Hickenlooper never got his interview.

So the fat Marlon Brando, who was fat as hell when filming Apocalypse Now, is calling Coppola fat ... and as far as Brando is concerned, any interview for the Hearts of Darkness documentary can be done while Brando is pinching a loaf -- like fat Elvis, I presume.

All this stuff slays me, lol

#24 | Posted by PinchALoaf at 2019-08-17 10:25 PM | Reply

I like Apocalypse Now, though it is too long.

The original was fine. Redux was too long.

#25 | Posted by REDIAL at 2019-08-17 10:28 PM | Reply

Easy Rider isn't that great a movie and is very overrated but it's important to history.

#26 | Posted by Tor at 2019-08-17 10:28 PM | Reply

#22 | POSTED BYSHEEPLESCHISM

Here's the trailer ...

Hearts of Darkness: A Filmmaker's Apocalypse
youtu.be
[2:57]

I'm guessing the dvd can be found on amazon.

#27 | Posted by PinchALoaf at 2019-08-17 11:23 PM | Reply

That looks good. I didn't even know that documentary existed.

#28 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2019-08-17 11:36 PM | Reply

#23 | POSTED BY NULLIFIDIAN

I'm in.

#29 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2019-08-17 11:37 PM | Reply

Remember the scene in Seinfeld with Peterman in a cave in Burma, parodying the scene from Apocalypse Now?

www.youtube.com

#30 | Posted by AMERICANUNITY at 2019-08-18 04:27 AM | Reply | Funny: 1

I never thought him as that great of an actor. If notr for his dad, I doubt serciously he woud have made a Hollywood film.

#31 | Posted by goatman at 2019-08-19 01:27 AM | Reply

I met him in a bar in Northern California back in the early 90's. Offered to buy him a beer and itnturns out he was a giant -------. I get it..he probably gets tired of fans bugging him, but "no thanks" would have been fine.

Still...wrong Fonda.