Saturday, August 17, 2019

"NO SCAN, NO PAY." Translation: Either attend (and "scan" your ID card to mark your attendance), or take the day off. "Those who are NOT in attendance will not receive overtime pay on Friday."

Comments

The choice for thousands of union workers at Royal Dutch Shell's petrochemical plant in Beaver County was clear Tuesday: Either stand in a giant hall waiting for President Donald Trump to speak or take the day off with no [credit for overtime] pay.

Mr. Trump received a generally warm and at times cheerful welcome at Shell, where he praised natural gas extraction in Appalachia and talked about his political grievances and name-called some opponents. The president also called out union leadership, which Shell had requested to be in attendance.

"I'm going to speak to some of your union leaders to say, I hope you're going to support Trump.' OK?" he said. "And if they don't, vote them the hell out of office because they're not doing their job."

America: Land of the free, and home of the corporate controlled wage slaves!

#1 | Posted by tonyroma at 2019-08-17 06:26 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

And just to be clear, I don't think there is anything wrong with holding events at non-public worksites with federal politicians as long as said politicians follow the law dictated in the Hatch Act and don't use what amounts to compulsory attendance by workers to spread a self-serving, partisan political message.

With any cursory acknowledgement of historical norms, Trump's behavior is so far beyond the curve it disrespects the individual's rights of self expression. Captive employee audiences can be asked to show respect and decorum for a politician they may disagree with, but they should not be compelled to have their democratically elected leadership publicly upbraided nor brow-beaten if the union doesn't openly support that politician.

#2 | Posted by tonyroma at 2019-08-17 06:40 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

Shell Workers Who Skipped Trump Speech Took Financial Hit

This is what corporate Fascism looks like.

#3 | Posted by PinchALoaf at 2019-08-17 07:01 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

I've worked on big federal new build job sites. The last one I was on was the MILDEP Investigative Agencies Headquarters in Quantico in 2010-2011. We lived for days like these. No work, hang out, do some safety, shoot the bull, then some VIP rolls in and gives a speech.

It's like free money.

#4 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2019-08-17 11:48 PM | Reply

#5 | Posted by Danforth at 2019-08-18 12:01 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 4

@#5 ... Interesting: the Union and Union leaders couldn't protest Trump, but President Snowflake could protest the Union leaders. ...

So I'm not the only one who noticed that.

#6 | Posted by LampLighter at 2019-08-18 12:04 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

This is what corporate Fascism looks like.

Nope...

My sis worked for a year as an analyst in a high tech company in Silicon Valley...

On one of her pay checks 20% was missing. She went to HR where she found out everyone in the company was required to donate 10% to the Democrat party and 10% to United Way. She was told "it was company policy"..

She told them she didn't agree to that and it wasn't even in the employee handbook given to her.

She got her money back and was laid off two weeks later...

This is what corporate Fascism looks like.

Same thing happened to me... I worked at a major airline here in Dallas as a systems programmer... United Way pushes hard to suck out 10% out of everyone's paycheck. They even paid a big bonus to my supervisor if he could get everyone to go along.

I told him to bite me and he never forgave me... from then on, I pretty much got all the s--t projects and ended up teaching all the H1B's he hired how to program.

The happy ending is that my boss gave his son a job on the loading dock and he was caught on camera stealing company property. Police moved in while he was trying to steal a forklift by putting it inside a box truck and trying to drive it away...

Still was forced to attend all day United Way s--t shows and I still proudly marked my Payroll form being sent to HR "Hell No" for the 10 years I worked there....

#7 | Posted by Pegasus at 2019-08-18 12:13 AM | Reply

#7 When I was with the phone company they tried the same thing with United Way. I never gave them a dime.

One of the biggest charity frauds out there: CharityWatch Hall of Shame - www.charitywatch.org

#8 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2019-08-18 12:22 AM | Reply

@#7 & @#8

Political events are treated uniquely, and differently than charity events.

As much as I disliked those United Way events ( and I made my opinion quite clear with the HR department. Quite Clear. ) ...

Pres Trump turned this visit into a political event when he told those, who had to attend, to pressure union leaders into supporting him.

So, once again, Pres Trump's lack of oratory self-control derailed an event, and exposed himself to valid criticism, and maybe worse, i.e. legal campaign issues.

Was the money the workers "gave up" effectively a forced campaign contribution to Pres Trump?

#9 | Posted by LampLighter at 2019-08-18 12:50 AM | Reply

...the money the workers "gave up"

Only the "stupid" ones gave it up...

We had two or three of these things every year where the CEO and CFO would fly in and blow smoke up our a$$es.

I always sat in the back of our corporate theater. They usually started to pass the clip board with the sign in sheet at the front seats first.

By the time the clip board made it to the back...The lights were being turned down low... so I would sign it and then I stood up 5 minutes later holding my crotch and telling the hall monitors I needed to go to the bathroom.

I ran to bathroom just long enough for the hall monitor to see me... turned a corner then I kept running to the push door exits to --- freedom --- !!!

Eventually, I got too old to run so instead I took the service elevator to the 8th floor and set my watch alarm and found a nice comfy couch for a three hour snooze.... a three hour snooze... LOL

The alarm would beep and I would come down just as everyone was being let out... just blend in and instead of going back to the office to work, I went fishing.

#10 | Posted by pegasus at 2019-08-18 01:39 AM | Reply

#10 | POSTED BY PEGASUS

Free money on a Friday. we used to love these days.

A great start to the weekend.

#11 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2019-08-18 01:45 AM | Reply

Gotta figure workers in other companies were at least as cleaver as I was... or maybe not... #10 | POSTED BY PEGASUS

Goes to show that being political at work doesn't pay. I've been to one of these events and it is easy money for low effort.

#12 | Posted by GOnoles92 at 2019-08-18 02:22 AM | Reply

I stopped reading at the resistance is futile line. I'm pretty low key and not the kind to publicly stir the pot but if I had read that I would have tried to come up with a clever way to protest (without getting caught) just because -- with your no protesting nothing that can be viewed as resistance crap.

#13 | Posted by TaoWarrior at 2019-08-18 06:56 AM | Reply

"CNN reported that workers were given the option of taking paid time off for the day, but that still had the effect of diminishing overtime pay at the end of the week for those who skipped the speech."

The title is misleading.

They didn't take a hit. They were given a reasonable choice. An extra paid vacation day. Or stay and get an overtime bonus.

How could they lose?

Classic Tonyrama to make something out of nothing.

#14 | Posted by Ray at 2019-08-18 07:33 AM | Reply

So, the attendees had to be paid to attend. Trump whines when CNN or anyone else notices his small crowd size at events, so if he offered more pay he'd have more attendees. It would only have cost him a few million dollars to have a real crowd at his inauguration instead of that pathetic attendence he actually had. It would have been a smart investment and he probably could have found a way to charge us taxpayers for it.

#15 | Posted by danni at 2019-08-18 07:49 AM | Reply

Big companies like Shell tend to follow the same code of behavior.

If Hillary was president, they would have done the same.

Then the left would have nothing to complain about.

#16 | Posted by Ray at 2019-08-18 08:22 AM | Reply

"If Hillary was president, they would have done the same."

Utter nonsense and we have the Presidency of Bill Clinton as evidence. He raised taxes, didn't cut taxes for corporations. Taxes effect the behavior of those who pay them, the Clintons still believe in the incentive affect of taxes to induce ownership to invest instead of to pocket the money.
You were away from here for a while Ray but you learned nothing in your vacation.
Hillary Clinton would have been a very good President as was her husband. You can review the stats, both Clinton and Obama exceeded every Republican in job growth, stock market growth, just about every stat possible.
Republicans do one thing, they cut taxes on the rich and use social issues to bring in idiots to their pack, they ALWAYS incur more debt, ALWAYS bring about recessions, ALWAYS eventually bring about catastrophic consequences for working people. But hey, they're good Christians, right?
Question: Does anyone actually believe Donald Trump is a Christian?

#17 | Posted by danni at 2019-08-18 08:36 AM | Reply

#17 | POSTED BY DANNI

This thread is about Trump's visit to Shell. You went off on a tangent.

Well, since you mention it. I've learned you liberals haven't changed.

I'm registered as an anarchist on DR. I have no choice but to stand on the sidelines and watch the left and the right turn this country into another banana republic.

#18 | Posted by Ray at 2019-08-18 09:03 AM | Reply

Hillary did tons of paid events to companies, while she wasn't president those companies put their employees in a similar situation

#19 | Posted by GOnoles92 at 2019-08-18 09:23 AM | Reply

"those companies put their employees in a similar situation"

I think you need to document that, otherwise I'll consider it to be a lie.

#20 | Posted by danni at 2019-08-18 09:46 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

money.cnn.com

This type of deal for employees is standard for non-salaried employees, such as those for which this article highlights at Shell Corp.

#21 | Posted by GOnoles92 at 2019-08-18 10:21 AM | Reply

Bullschitt.

www.adp.com

If you plan to solicit donations from your employees, participation must be voluntary, even if you think the cause is important for the future of the company. Take into consideration laws that place limits around employer requests for employee support of political organizations or affiliations and other laws that preclude retaliation against employees who fail to support political organizations, viewpoints, etc. It is also illegal to force employees to donate. If you do so, you risk facing a lawsuit from your employees.

Question is, did you make up this stupid little lie or did your sister?

#22 | Posted by jpw at 2019-08-18 11:47 AM | Reply

You're a fine example of an exemplary individual. I hope my kids grow up some day to be just like you.

#23 | Posted by jpw at 2019-08-18 11:50 AM | Reply

How could they lose?

Classic Tonyrama to make something out of nothing.

That trumps crowds have to be paid to appear supportive? LOL

#24 | Posted by jpw at 2019-08-18 11:52 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

And I thought it was bad when a former employer held all of his employee's paychecks until we attended his ------ holiday party. Not bonus checks, pay checks.

Had to sit around for an hour in the conference room drinking bug juice and eating a shop-rite cake before we could get paid and leave.

Yay! holiday spirit.

#25 | Posted by truthhurts at 2019-08-18 11:57 AM | Reply

^^ The Grinch

#26 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2019-08-18 12:04 PM | Reply

^^ Doesn't know when people don't want to be around him.

#27 | Posted by truthhurts at 2019-08-18 12:06 PM | Reply

That trumps crowds have to be paid to appear supportive? LOL
#24 | POSTED BY JPW

I said it was standard corporate practice in #16. They would have done the same if Hillary was president.

#28 | Posted by Ray at 2019-08-18 12:47 PM | Reply

Pretty common in the corporate world ...

HR calls it FEC or Forced Employee Contribution and COE or Condition of Employment...

Usually stating it's part of the Companie's culture.... and it's a team effort so if you don't contribute, then your not part of the team... and maybe it's time you moved on...

www.youtube.com

#29 | Posted by pegasus at 2019-08-18 01:42 PM | Reply

#23 JPW

You planning on having kids?

#30 | Posted by JeffJ at 2019-08-18 04:30 PM | Reply

--You planning on having kids?

That would be selfish if you want to save the planet.

#31 | Posted by nullifidian at 2019-08-18 04:37 PM | Reply

#30 eventually.

#31 once the boomers start going it'll be just fine.

#32 | Posted by jpw at 2019-08-18 08:09 PM | Reply

"#31 once the boomers start going it'll be just fine.

#32 | POSTED BY JPW"

WAAAH! It's the boomer's fault, not mine!"

Let me guess, you must be a democxrat?

#33 | Posted by goatman at 2019-08-18 08:12 PM | Reply

#32. Cool. I wasn't terribly excited about having kids. I can tell you that I wouldn't trade it for anything. Best wishes for you on this.

#34 | Posted by JeffJ at 2019-08-18 08:26 PM | Reply

"According to Thorton Mellon (Rodney Dangerfield): "The best thing about kids is making them."

#34 | POSTED BY JEFFJ "

I disagree. The best tyhing about kids is grandkids. Nothing is more satisfying than spoiling the ---- out of them and stuffing them with sugar. As well as playhing and roughhousnig with them and the evil pleasure of handing them back to their parent and saying, "This one has ---- in her diaper. Take care of that and bring her back to me." I love it! LOL

#35 | Posted by goatman at 2019-08-18 08:31 PM | Reply

Goat,

My parents and my wife's parents perfected the art of spoiling grandkids.

#36 | Posted by JeffJ at 2019-08-18 08:33 PM | Reply

Examples: My wife's parents took my oldest for a 10 day trip to the destination of his choice as a high school grad present. He chose Rome. My parents got him a tux and a $6,500 A-clarinet as grad gifts.

#37 | Posted by JeffJ at 2019-08-18 08:35 PM | Reply

#37 -- a tux? I wore a tux one time in my life. That was at my senior prom.

#38 | Posted by goatman at 2019-08-18 08:43 PM | Reply

"#31 once the boomers start going it'll be just fine.

#32 | POSTED BY JPW"

WAAAH! It's the boomer's fault, not mine!"

Let me guess, you must be a democxrat?

#33 | POSTED BY GOATMAN

Ummmm no. They're the largest population bubble and have been the most rampant consumers.

It was really just a comment on numbers.

#39 | Posted by jpw at 2019-08-18 10:23 PM | Reply

Actually I take that back.

So that might change if the current economics change.

#40 | Posted by jpw at 2019-08-18 10:28 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

"Millennials lack the stable jobs and decent income to allow them to consume as rampantly as boomers."

If millenials didn't eat out so much and learned basic skills like fixing a leaky faucet, they'd have a lot more money.

www.usatoday.com

www.forbes.com

#41 | Posted by goatman at 2019-08-18 10:31 PM | Reply

www.bankrate.com

If boomers weren't such greedy ----- handing off a world in worse condition than they received there'd be a lot less problems across the board.

#42 | Posted by jpw at 2019-08-18 10:33 PM | Reply

Republicans do one thing, they cut taxes on the rich and use social issues to bring in idiots to their pack... - #17 | Posted by danni at 2019-08-18 08:36 AM

That's 2 things. Can't keep the narrative alive for 1 full sentence?

#43 | Posted by Avigdore at 2019-08-19 09:34 AM | Reply

#37 -- a tux? I wore a tux one time in my life. That was at my senior prom.

#38 | POSTED BY GOATMAN

He needs it for when he performs in concerts.

#44 | Posted by JeffJ at 2019-08-19 10:37 AM | Reply

this seems much ado about nothing. If I choose not to go to work, I also don't get paid. I don't understand why this is so terrible. The company gave them an option. Come to work, and get paid for being at work, or don't come to work and don't get paid for the day... You know... Cause you didn't come to work.

If there was implication that your promotion prospects would go away, or terminated for not showing up, that's crazy. But I don't blame a company who decides to not pay employees that don't report to work.

I think the company was doing well to give them the option.

That it included no protesting... Hey, they are a private company and have restrictions on such expressions by their employees as part of their union contract. You can't come to work, embarrass your employer, and keep your job.

#45 | Posted by ABH at 2019-08-19 03:30 PM | Reply