Saturday, August 17, 2019

Michael Pruitt had no pulse for 20 minutes after he was electrocuted while holding a ladder on a job site three months ago.

Comments

I'm pretty sure I have a new arch-nemesis.

#1 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2019-08-17 06:45 PM | Reply

Must have been hit with 1.21 gigawatts. How else would he have gotten back to the future?

#2 | Posted by Vaquero at 2019-08-17 11:33 PM | Reply

Miracle?

No, just a competent nurse who did it right.

Cool story.

#3 | Posted by jpw at 2019-08-17 11:48 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 3

@ 3 JPW

You're right. But, believing in some higher power is more rewarding.

#4 | Posted by horstngraben at 2019-08-18 01:22 AM | Reply

Wow, lucky young man.

You don't usually hear about cases where people have been revived after this long and functioned normally except for the occasional victim who drowned in cold waters.

#5 | Posted by AMERICANUNITY at 2019-08-18 07:23 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Welcome to the club.
Had heart attack 2012. VFib then coded.
For one minute "patient was unresponsive".
No trumpets and no pitchforks.
Just most peaceful calm moments in my life.
Think about it every day.

#6 | Posted by Docman at 2019-08-18 07:48 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Great story, I love nurses. They are far more educated and competent than most people give them credit for.

#7 | Posted by danni at 2019-08-18 07:56 AM | Reply

It is miraculous and likely only because of the fact CPR was started immediately. He wasn't at a hospital and CPR was administered for 20 minutes - at least.

Had a coworker who dropped from a heart attack at a softball game. A nurse in the stands started CPR immediately. They actually got a pulse back eventually. I think he was already on the way to the hospital at that point. He was revived but in a coma and died a couple days later. I know this isn't exactly the same by any stretch. This kid was lucky from the cause and response. Time is not your friend and 20 minutes is a LONG time...

#8 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2019-08-18 01:18 PM | Reply

The first thing you do is take their shoes off and then put your hand under their neck and elevate it. Then breathe for them - that alone can restart the heart. Do chest compression, but no pounding. It's three breath's for every chest compression. Pulse is hard to check on someone dying because your own pulse confuses you. Index finger on the carotid in the neck is best I think. Your mileage may vary.

You can resell the shoes later.

#9 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2019-08-18 06:16 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

If there's no deterioration or reason a body can't function I see no reason why it's impossible to restart it.

FTR yes I know about the brain needing oxygen cases like this prove something isn't understood by science.

#10 | Posted by Tor at 2019-08-18 09:28 PM | Reply

This only means that the definition of death needs to be re-defined. Deaad is dead. No one comes back from it, not even Jesus.

#11 | Posted by goatman at 2019-08-19 12:20 AM | Reply

The only thing I need to know is what kind of weapon I need to stop this guy.

The possibility for damage is enormous if he goes for strategic targets. Nothing can stop that.

#12 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2019-08-19 12:57 AM | Reply

Two things:
It's awesome he's alive.
I have personally seen the return of Gaotman.

The Tom is happy.

#13 | Posted by TheTom at 2019-08-19 01:35 AM | Reply

That would be "Goatman", of course.

#14 | Posted by TheTom at 2019-08-19 01:36 AM | Reply

Big "T"! Good to see you, man.

#15 | Posted by goatman at 2019-08-19 01:36 AM | Reply

Miracle?
No, just a competent nurse who did it right.

They didn't mean it was a miracle that he was revived, they said it was a miracle for someone to return to full brain function after having no pulse for 20 minutes. Most people would be vegetables at that point.

#16 | Posted by JOE at 2019-08-19 06:54 AM | Reply

I flatlined back in May.
I have kidney disease and require dyalisis 3 times a week to live.
I thought my doctor would know not to prescribe me certain pills like mussel relaxers to people who can't flush them out.
I woke up strapped to a bed in the I.C.U. and couldn't speak. They said at one point I flatlined when they gave my dyalisis.
I lost 4 days of my life( no memory at all) .. which included my 50th birthday.
Never trust your doctor.

#17 | Posted by 503jc69 at 2019-08-19 01:12 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

#17 | POSTED BY 503JC69

Kidney disease at age 50?

Have you lived an unhealthy lifestyle or is it just bad luck?

#18 | Posted by JeffJ at 2019-08-19 01:22 PM | Reply

"...mussel relaxers ..."

I'm not a spelling Nazi, but sometimes a mental image is so funny, I can't pass it up.

I see a certain shellfish in a barcalounger with a martini by its side.

#19 | Posted by goatman at 2019-08-19 01:41 PM | Reply

18 I have polycystic kidney disease which is handed down from your parents. I've been on dyalisis for 5+ years.
I had a 50/50 chance of having it.
At least I live at a time they can cheat death with dyalisis.

#20 | Posted by 503jc69 at 2019-08-19 04:53 PM | Reply