Sunday, August 18, 2019

Rep. Rashida Tlaib (D-Mich.) late Saturday suggested that viewers should boycott comedian Bill Maher's late-night HBO show over his vehement criticism of the international movement to boycott Israel. Tlaib, who was denied entry to Israel last week over her support of the movement, said that she was "tired of folks discrediting a form of speech that is centered on equality and freedom."

Comments

Drama Queen: Mission Accomplished

#1 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2019-08-18 01:26 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

The voters of Michigan should boycott her in 2020. But she might win the state...for Trump.

#2 | Posted by nullifidian at 2019-08-18 02:02 PM | Reply

t would be interesting to see a reporter ask Tlaib or Omar about this news story: "PA Bans LGBTQ Activities In West Bank."

The Palestinian Authority has banned members of the Palestinian Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender (LGBT) community from carrying out any activities in the West Bank.
www.powerlineblog.com

#3 | Posted by nullifidian at 2019-08-18 02:05 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Poor little Snowflake, she brought this upon herself with her using Granny as a prop.

#4 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2019-08-18 02:36 PM | Reply

A lot of Kansans boycotted Maher during the DeBruce days. He can go eff himself.

#5 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2019-08-18 03:42 PM | Reply

I wonder if Tlaib supports Hamas tactics, like suicide bombers?

List of Palestinian suicide attacks - en.wikipedia.org

#6 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2019-08-18 06:24 PM | Reply

I wonder if Tlaib's grandma supports Hamas tactics, like suicide bombers?

#7 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2019-08-18 06:36 PM | Reply

Not to say that Tlaib's granny is Hamas. She could be PLO.

In which case, she would be at odds with Hamas, but could still support suicide bombers.

#8 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2019-08-18 06:38 PM | Reply

Translation:

"WAAAAH! I got called on my anti-semitism by someone who is supposed to be supporting me! I'm going to really show him! I'm Congressperson Tlaib, after all. How dare he?"

#9 | Posted by goatman at 2019-08-18 06:54 PM | Reply

I support Hamas. I support any oppressed people.

The cruelty is the point.

#10 | Posted by fresno500 at 2019-08-18 11:16 PM | Reply

"Tlaib Suggests Boycotting Maher Show"

I suggest voters boycotting Tlaib.

Here's a hint, Congresswoman: STFU about other people's opinions, if you believe in the First Amendment.

#11 | Posted by Danforth at 2019-08-18 11:22 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

#11 -- Right on, Danforth!

#12 | Posted by goatman at 2019-08-18 11:23 PM | Reply

Wow, you are actually criticizing a Democrat.

Baby steps...

#13 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2019-08-18 11:24 PM | Reply

This is a rare situation where Danforth breaks mold. But he's been notably consistent about it. Intellectual property rights and copyright and patents is where Danforth, not Donkey Suit Dan, sounds like a conservative.

I like busting his chops but I have to be fair.... credit is where it's due.

#14 | Posted by JeffJ at 2019-08-18 11:30 PM | Reply

STFU about other people's opinions, if you believe in the First Amendment.
#11 | POSTED BY DANFORTH

Why? Its her opinion too .... free speech has consequences ...

I support Hamas. I support any oppressed people.

Odd ... Hamas oppresses LGBT?

Wow, you are actually criticizing a Democrat. ~ RoC

And he's still wrong .... just goes to show you whatever side Danforth is on... the other side is probably correct.

#15 | Posted by AndreaMackris at 2019-08-18 11:32 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

"where Danforth ... sounds like a conservative."

Oh, my friend, I haven't left you; you've left me.

Conservatives believe in balanced budgets; Republicans believe in tax cuts for the wealthiest, regardless the resultant casualties.
Conservatives believe in equality; Republicans believe in using orientation as a wedge issue.
Conservatives believe in education; Republicans believe in dumbing down the populace for their own purposes.
Conservatives believe in science; Republicans believe science undermines religion.
Conservatives believe in math; Republicans believe in a fantasy where giveaways to the wealthiest solve everything.*
Conservatives believe in good, sound government; Republicans believe governing is the problem, and set out to prove that theory every time.

I've been a consistent Conservative all along. I didn't move...you did.

*by "solve everything", I mean get them re-elected.

#16 | Posted by Danforth at 2019-08-18 11:44 PM | Reply

"Why? Its her opinion too"

Because her opinion is he shouldn't have an opinion. You get that....right?

#17 | Posted by Danforth at 2019-08-18 11:45 PM | Reply

6 positions and 6 straw men.

Congratulations, you are batting 0.00.

#18 | Posted by JeffJ at 2019-08-18 11:48 PM | Reply

Again, in fairness, I'll amend #18...

I will absolutely give you props for your first bullet point.

#5 Has some semblance of truth to it.

#19 | Posted by JeffJ at 2019-08-18 11:52 PM | Reply

If you're trying to boycott comedians, you're losing the argument.

#20 | Posted by Alexandrite at 2019-08-18 11:55 PM | Reply

#20 Amen, Alex.

#21 | Posted by JeffJ at 2019-08-18 11:56 PM | Reply

"If you're trying to boycott comedians, you're losing the argument."

Bingo.

#22 | Posted by Danforth at 2019-08-19 12:09 AM | Reply

"6 positions and 6 straw men"

Sorry, sonny, but that was the Conservative (at that time Republican) party I grew up with.

And what, specifically, are you arguing against? That Conservatives didn't represent business done right, i.e., balanced budgets? That Conservatives didn't take us to the moon? That Conservatives didn't used to believe in higher education versus today's dripping contempt for anyone University educated?

I lived through that. Tell me it didn't happen.

#23 | Posted by Danforth at 2019-08-19 12:14 AM | Reply

Please be clearer in your quotations. Your sloppiness leads folks to believe I said things I didn't say.

"...just goes to show you whatever side Danforth is on... the other side is probably correct."

I guess you need to stock up on your butt-paste, to go along with your freight cars of turd polish.

#24 | Posted by Danforth at 2019-08-19 12:28 AM | Reply

Them Muslims love them some gays

- Laura Mohr

#25 | Posted by boaz at 2019-08-19 10:34 AM | Reply | Funny: 2

" Cancel culture is spreading for one simple reason: it works. Instead of debating ideas or competing for entertainment dollars, you can just demand anyone who annoys you to be cast out of polite society.

Way back in the mists of time, say five years ago, if you didn't like a TV show or movie, you wouldn't watch it. Now you can ensure that no one watches it, just by slinging some outrage on social media.

Our woke mentality is America's new Puritanism. Instead of a handy list of sins written thousands of years ago, modern sins are ever-changing. A joke that was deemed progressive a decade ago is retroactively condemned as hate speech.

"If you say the wrong thing," Silverman said, "everyone is, like, throwing the first stone. It's a perversion. It's really, Look how righteous I am and now I'm going to press refresh all day long to see how many likes I get in my righteousness.' "

When the mob has burned one witch, they tighten the buckles on their hats and pore through old YouTube videos for their next victim."

#26 | Posted by nullifidian at 2019-08-19 12:42 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

6 positions and 6 straw men.

Congratulations, you are batting 0.00.

#18 | POSTED BY JEFFJ

No, he nailed it when you look at actual policy enacted.

#27 | Posted by jpw at 2019-08-19 01:30 PM | Reply