Sunday, August 18, 2019

I just polished off one of Burger King's new Impossible Whoppers for lunch. It comes with a meatless patty made of plants from Impossible Foods, a company focused on making plant-based meat alternatives.

It's an unusual lunch. I don't typically eat fast food for lunch, and the Impossible Whopper is a brand-new meatless offering from Burger King, a company that's built itself on meat sandwiched between bread.

What are my qualifications to review fast food? Well, I appreciate fast food. I find it fascinating that millions of dollars " if not billions " in research and work were spent on every bite I take. And I actually find fast food delicious in its own way.

Comments

Why do people make vegetables taste like meat? I would never try to make a T-bone taste like a carrot.

Eat as your body evolved to eat.

#1 | Posted by goatman at 2019-08-19 12:22 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Eat as your body evolved to eat.

Indeed.

My nourishment (breakfast today).

Chicken chicken and some more chicken. And baked onions (of course). With chilies and hot-sauce.

i.postimg.cc

#2 | Posted by J_Tremain at 2019-08-19 03:15 AM | Reply

Impossible Whopper has 630 calories, only 30 less than the regular Whopper's 660 calorie count.

That's it? 30 calories?

What's the bloody point...?

Impossible Whopper was drier than the regular beef patty in the regular Whopper. It also tasted less meaty, less savory, less juicy, and, overall, less tasty than the regular Whopper.

Burger King already tastes like cardboard.

Now we get guilt-free cardboard.

#3 | Posted by J_Tremain at 2019-08-19 03:17 AM | Reply

"That's it? 30 calories? What's the bloody point...?"

Well, nothing...if you believe, say, 30 calories of potato chips have the same effect on a body as 30 calories of almonds.

In this case, it's probably better replacement calories as well.

#4 | Posted by Danforth at 2019-08-19 03:34 AM | Reply

Our Dread Lord is not pleased. I think I have a Ritual for this. Let me check my Necronomicon.

#5 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2019-08-19 10:33 AM | Reply | Funny: 1

Eat as your body evolved to eat.

#1 | POSTED BY GOATMAN AT 2019-08-19 12:22 AM | FLAG: My question is why do they need to make their veggie product look like a meat product if they are anti meat.

#6 | Posted by MSgt at 2019-08-19 12:19 PM | Reply

Not all of us vegetarians are anti-meat. Some of us are vegetarian for health or environmental reasons.

The impossible whopper doesn't do crap for your health though basically same calories and fat as a real burger, less cholesterol but way more sodium.

I tried one this weekend out of curiosity, it was good for a veggie burger and probably the closest I've tasted to a real burger, but honestly home grilling a Morningstar farms burger is just as good much healthier and way cheaper. The impossible whopper costs more than a double whopper.

#7 | Posted by TaoWarrior at 2019-08-19 12:53 PM | Reply

The impossible whopper costs more than a double whopper.

#7 | POSTED BY TAOWARRIOR AT 2019-08-19 12:53 PM

It's called "Virtue Signalling" pricing.

#8 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2019-08-19 01:51 PM | Reply

I'm sure that is a factor but a lot of science went into the impossible burger and who knows the cost to mfg. also as a niche product it's not going to benefit from economy of scale. I doubt the price is too inflated.

I would be interested in getting some to make at home. I have a feeling that prepared carefully it has the potential to be darn good. I suspect Burger King just tosses them in the microwave.

#9 | Posted by TaoWarrior at 2019-08-19 03:42 PM | Reply

I have made both the impossible burger and beyond meat, the latter is better.

Impossible Foods

Beyond Meat

#10 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2019-08-19 04:02 PM | Reply

Thanks for the heads up we usually do a cookout for Labor Day so I'll have to try the beyond burger for that. I am sure home grilled will be better than Burger King so I'll still have to try the impossible burger but I guess that will wait till Memorial Day. Unless I have some hickory left after Labor Day then maybe I'll come up with an excuse to grill out in September.

#11 | Posted by TaoWarrior at 2019-08-19 04:26 PM | Reply

A Nothing Burger!

#12 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2019-08-19 11:51 PM | Reply

I happen to enjoy a cheese burger.

I've also helped slaughtered animals, been to dairies, been to feed lots, and seen the weather get increasingly strange.

Affordable replica meat that passes for the real thing should be enjoy about 1/2 the time you want to eat beef.

#13 | Posted by Tor at 2019-08-20 12:23 AM | Reply | Funny: 1 | Newsworthy 1

I always thought it would be a healthier option, one for people with cardiovascular disease or high cholesterol ect. A way for them to have a burger without adding to their medical problems.

But boy was I surprised to see the nutrition stats on that thing. Damn.

#14 | Posted by jpw at 2019-08-20 02:00 PM | Reply