Monday, August 19, 2019

When Julian Assange was arrested in London a few days ago he was carrying, face up, a copy of Gore Vidal's "History of the National Security State."

This book was published 2 years after the death of Vidal in 2012.

It consisted of a transcribed discussion between Vidal and Paul Jay, the editor of the Real News Network between 2005-2007.

The back cover features a quote from Vidal: "I think everybody should take a sober look at the world about us, remember that practically everything you're told about other countries is untrue."

Comments

"The United States was founded by the brightest people in the country - and we haven't seen them since."

-- Gore Vidal

#1 | Posted by PinchALoaf at 2019-08-19 07:55 AM | Reply

I always enjoyed reading Gore Vidal's wit.

#2 | Posted by goatman at 2019-08-19 02:49 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Speaking of Gore Vidal, his historical novel "Lincoln" is a great read.

It's based on letters and notes from Lincoln's secretary, among others.

It's 672 pages of small type but interesting all the way through.

#3 | Posted by AMERICANUNITY at 2019-08-19 03:08 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

I always enjoyed reading Gore Vidal's wit.

#2 | POSTED BYGOATMAN

I believe you.

But I gotta ask ...

Then why don't you ever quote him?

If you quoted him occasionally, other posters here wouldn't, ah, well, you know ... challenge you so much.

Again, I believe you that you read Vidal, but I had to ask that.

#4 | Posted by PinchALoaf at 2019-08-19 04:49 PM | Reply

Gore Vidal the Alex Jones of acadamia?

LOL

#5 | Posted by Tor at 2019-08-19 11:50 PM | Reply

Gore Vidal the Alex Jones of acadamia?

LOL

#5 | POSTED BYTOR

So which past or present intellectual would you recommend that people look to, to help understand America's current dysfunctional mess?

#6 | Posted by PinchALoaf at 2019-08-20 12:15 AM | Reply

Off hand I'd recommend they steer clear of any wacko who claims FDR knew Pearl Harbor was going to be attacked and did nothing because he liked to see people suffer.

#7 | Posted by Tor at 2019-08-20 12:19 AM | Reply

#7 | POSTED BYTOR

So you have no answer, typical.

#8 | Posted by PinchALoaf at 2019-08-20 12:32 AM | Reply

I'd also recommend they avoid nut jobs who claim Bush orchestrated 9/11

#9 | Posted by Tor at 2019-08-20 12:37 AM | Reply

#9 | POSTED BYTOR

Looking for bumper sticker sized answers shows you are naive ... www.gorevidalpages.com

#10 | Posted by PinchALoaf at 2019-08-20 06:55 AM | Reply

"Then why don't you ever quote him?

Again, I believe you that you read Vidal, but I had to ask that.

#4 | POSTED BY PINCHALOAF AT"

I seldom quote anyone. Also, I don't usually agree with him. Just as I also enjoy Doonesbury and Gary Trudeau's wit, but I seldom agree with his liberal ideology. It is possible to appreciate and enjoy something one doesn't agree with. It's one of the trademarks of an open mind.

#11 | Posted by goatman at 2019-08-20 07:56 AM | Reply

Looking for bumper sticker sized answers?

I never said I was looking for those.

#12 | Posted by Tor at 2019-08-20 10:10 AM | Reply

Looking for bumper sticker sized answers?

I never said I was looking for those.

#12 | POSTED BYTOR

The brain power behind your post # 5 could fit on a postage stamp.

#13 | Posted by PinchALoaf at 2019-08-20 10:56 AM | Reply

Vidal though Hillary went insane, Obama was a demagogue and JFK was an imbecile. Nothing wrong there, plus his Italian home was spectacular.

www.commondreams.org

#14 | Posted by lee_the_agent at 2019-08-20 12:00 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

I have better things to do than write purple prose describing his sliming of FDR.

#15 | Posted by Tor at 2019-08-20 12:01 PM | Reply

#15 | POSTED BYTOR

To say FDR was trying to figure out how America could enter WWII is legit, considering genocidal Nazi armies were rampaging through out every corner of Europe.

Hitler ruling Europe, and much of Africa and Asia, and dominating the entire world is, to put it mildly, not good for America.

FDR already started the selection service draft, and the US Army and Navy were planning and organizing accordingly ...

In fact, the US Navy was already escorting ships halfway across the Atlantic, to be picked up and escorted the rest of the way by the British Royal Navy.

nationalinterest.org

I guess these facts are too much for you to handle, you better lay down and take a nap.

Gore Vidal was a great American -- America needs more people like him.

#16 | Posted by PinchALoaf at 2019-08-20 01:10 PM | Reply

WWII was coming and everyone knew it.

FDR did not however know that Pearl Harbor was going to be attacked and Crazy Vidal should be ashamed to have claimed he did.

#17 | Posted by Tor at 2019-08-20 01:43 PM | Reply

WWII was coming and everyone knew it.

#17 | POSTED BY TOR

Again, see below ...

-- Gore Vidal

Lighten up on the sauce, it's clouding what little critical skills you have.

#18 | Posted by PinchALoaf at 2019-08-20 06:03 PM | Reply

"Every four years the naive half who vote are encouraged to believe that if we can elect a really nice man or woman President everything will be all right. But it won't be."

-- Gore Vidal

#19 | Posted by PinchALoaf at 2019-08-20 09:56 PM | Reply

"Fifty percent of people won't vote, and fifty percent don't read newspapers. I hope it's the same fifty percent."

-- Gore Vidal