Monday, August 19, 2019

Weight Watchers -- now rebranded as WW -- has introduced an app called Kurbo, for children 8 to 17 years old. As a registered dietitian who specializes in helping people recover from disordered eating, I strongly recommend that parents keep this new tool -- and any weight-loss program -- away from their children. ... trying to shrink children's (or anyone's) bodies can put their health at risk. That's because intentional weight loss is likely to result in weight cycling -- the repeated cycles of weight loss and regain commonly known as yo-yo dieting -- and weight cycling carries its own risks, independent of body mass index.

Comments

Another dumb idea for a dumb culture. People seem to think there's no problem that can't be fixed with an "app" substituting for common sense and/or good parenting.

#1 | Posted by nullifidian at 2019-08-19 10:13 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Here's the thing about Weight Watchers - it's a point system. The trend they've moved to is to lower the amount of points you get per day but they have more foods that are zero points. Fruits, vegetables, legumes, seafood and boneless and skinless chicken breasts are all zero points. #9 sub sandwich at Jimmy John's? Yeah, that's a whopping 30 points.

#2 | Posted by JeffJ at 2019-08-19 10:25 AM | Reply

Maybe all those kids just setting around playing games on line need a reminder since they are getting little exercise.

#3 | Posted by MSgt at 2019-08-19 12:08 PM | Reply

"common sense and/or good parenting."

It's easy to say that if you were born with the dumb luck/privilege/karma/whateveryouwannacallit of having parents or guardians to pass that down to you. The reality is that many people do not come from that background, or they only learn common sense about some things and not others before they develop lifelong habits that are detrimental to them.

#4 | Posted by sentinel at 2019-08-19 12:14 PM | Reply

#2 | Posted by JeffJ

I didn't know that it had changed like that. It's not a bad thing.

Frankly speaking I think the author is kind of wrong - it doesn't have to be about "intentional" weight loss. Kids need training on what and how to eat. The app probably does a better job than 80% of parents. Intentional weight loss on its own isn't a bad thing either - yes most people do it wrong. It is about life changes in eating habits - permanent ones over short term ones and that's what Weight Watchers teaches as well. We generally get way too many carbs on a daily basis and I remember that points really went up with carbs - A few good friends have taken part. Of all the programs theirs makes the most sense. It really is about lifestyle change and even a support group is you go to the meetings. You have to be in the correct frame of mind to make the change.

BMI is something they bring up but it isn't a great measure. I work out with men and women who do body building shows and they really cycle and how they eat to lose any excess weight is frankly terrible. Don't get me wrong - very healthy choices but they yo-yo like mad. And then eating things like boiled chicken (boiling gets rid of most of the little fat) - blech. The reason I bring it up is they make me look obese - I could stand to lose a few and I am outside of "normal" BMI but I don't know if normal is maintainable for me. I would have to be under 200 and right now 190-200 is probably about where I would be if I wanted to do a body building show at my current size. At 6'3" you have to be 148 to 199 to have a normal BMI. 148? lol I was that as a sophomore in high school and defined toothpick. Seriously - I almost look anorexic and I had not developed any real muscle at all.

#5 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2019-08-19 12:41 PM | Reply

Boys don't.

#6 | Posted by lee_the_agent at 2019-08-19 01:15 PM | Reply

For most of that age range the kids are mostly eating what they're given by their parent.

If the parents are making garbage food then the kid isnt going to helped by an app.

#7 | Posted by jpw at 2019-08-19 01:17 PM | Reply

This article completely ignores the obvious, which I thoughy would be the gist of it: Exercise. Not one word was spoken about it.

When I was in HS (grad 1974), mjy class of 465 had 4 fat kids. Nowadays, I see a much higher proportion of fat kids. Another difference in generations is that after school, the streets would have kids playing ball, etc. Today, I literally never see a kid in the street. Another thing odd about that is that very few even walk home from school. Their parents pick them up, even if they live just a few blovks away.

Even this time of year when it is reglarly over 100F in San Antonio, I see mayb 8 or ten kids at the pool. In the '60s and '70s, the pool was jam packed with kids, many of whom walked or rode a bicycle three miles to get there.

An app is not going to make fat kids normal sized. Putting down the xbox game controller and phone will, however.

#8 | Posted by goatman at 2019-08-19 01:23 PM | Reply

Child rearing is a damned if you do damned if you don't world these days.

#9 | Posted by RightisTrite at 2019-08-19 02:03 PM | Reply

"Parent don't let them walk to the public plunge because they fear being charged with child neglect if they let them walk.

Child rearing is a damned if you do damned if you don't world these days.

#9 | POSTED BY RIGHTISTRITE "

I've heard of this, and you are right, it is a shame that this happens. However, I have not itnessed (or read) about it around where I live fortunately. So I think that problem is a geographical one.

But even in the places this happens, surely a parent wouldn't be charged with child neglect if they told their kids to put down the game controller and phone and go outside to play.

#10 | Posted by goatman at 2019-08-19 02:12 PM | Reply

I know some good people who could have used that app at the age of 10.

Instead they got called fat by their sadistic classmates.

#11 | Posted by Tor at 2019-08-19 06:29 PM | Reply

I'm usually not the nicest about weight - 15 years after I got out, I still carry the old army prejudice against "fat body's." But this does seem like a bad idea to push disordered eating. Kids need to learn what to eat, and they need to learn it from parents. Ultimately, if all they have available at home is fruits, veggies, and lean meats, and - especially when young - aren't exposed to a whole lot of sugary drinks and fast / processed foods, they will neither put on huge amounts of weight, nor have the hunger cues to do so. But something like this, no.

#12 | Posted by zeropointnrg at 2019-08-19 08:54 PM | Reply

I think kids do need a weight watchers app. This app would turn off and lock out the game box, the TV, the laptop, then cut itself off just before it shut the phone down. I guarantee there would be far rewer weiight problems in kids.

#13 | Posted by goatman at 2019-08-19 11:55 PM | Reply

When I was kid we were outside all day. We ran all over the neighborhood, in the woods, rode bikes, made forts.

The only fat kids I knew stayed in the house all the time.

#14 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2019-08-20 12:11 AM | Reply

Kids need to learn what to eat, and they need to learn it from parents.
#12 | POSTED BY ZEROPOINTNRG

For many families, cooking healthy meals is a thing of the past.

Parents are too busy working. Kids are eating overly processed frozen microwave garbage.

#15 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2019-08-20 12:15 AM | Reply

This is a great way to develop eating disorders.

#16 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2019-08-20 12:22 AM | Reply

The only fat kids I knew stayed in the house all the time.

#14 | Posted by SheepleSchism

Same here. In fact, I can only remember one overweight kid all through elementary school, and maybe a couple in my 1800 student high school.

To this day I credit all that exercise as a kid/teen to still being in pretty good shape, some of that thanks to good muscles I developed as a kid/teen through exercise/bike riding & paper route/tennis, etc, the other to a healthy diet and still riding my bike, walking, swimming, etc.

IMO, if you keep acting like a kid, physically, you'll still be in pretty good shape at any age.

#17 | Posted by AMERICANUNITY at 2019-08-20 02:09 AM | Reply