Tuesday, August 20, 2019

Antonio Basco was expecting a near-empty church for the funeral of his wife who died in the El Paso mass shooting in Texas, US, in August. Mr Basco said he did not have family so he invited the community - but was shocked to find people queuing to get in. The mourners waiting in line were "mostly Hispanic group, young and old, dressed in suits and dresses, blue jeans and work shirts, zoot suits, motorcycle club colors, and military dress uniforms," The Washington Post reported. They may have been strangers, but they wanted to embrace Basco and let him know he wasn't alone. "Never had so much love in my life," he told NPR.

Comments

"The funeral home received about 10,000 messages and tributes, and more than 900 floral arrangements," The Times continues. "They sat along the front of the chapel, below the stained-glass windows, on every table in the foyer, in the fellowship hall and on the staircase. They were sent from across America. New Hampshire. Oregon. Kentucky." Mr Basco's wife loved flowers.

The support astounded more than just Basco. "I've been in the government for 25 years," said Daniel Ramos, assistant special agent in charge of the El Paso FBI office, "and I've been in a lot of investigations that involve mass shootings and mass casualties, and I've never seen the show of support like I am seeing here today."

#1 | Posted by AMERICANUNITY at 2019-08-20 01:33 AM | Reply

What a wonderful show of support and kindness, El Paso. You are good people.

#2 | Posted by AMERICANUNITY at 2019-08-20 01:35 AM | Reply

UPDATE:

Someone looked up his address and stole his dead wife's SUV, wrecking it and stealing his pressure washer that was in it.

An auto dealer just gave him a brand new car, and a Go Fund Me campaign has raised over $40,000 as of this afternoon.

Good exists in this world.

twitter.com

#3 | Posted by AMERICANUNITY at 2019-08-20 05:41 PM | Reply

- Someone looked up his address and stole his dead wife's SUV

What scum. I hope they catch him alive.

#4 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2019-08-20 05:54 PM | Reply

Poor guy.
I did laugh when I saw very kind people going up to hug him and then realizing this guy hasn't showered in at least 6 months.

I get it, his wife was killed, but would it kill him to get in the shower?

#5 | Posted by 101Chairborne at 2019-08-20 06:05 PM | Reply

WTF? Zoot suits?

Is El Paso stuck in the 1940s?

#6 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2019-08-20 06:13 PM | Reply

WTF? Zoot suits?

Is El Paso stuck in the 1940s?

#6 | Posted by Rightocenter

Do you remember when Edward James Olmos was starring in Zoot Suit at the Shubert Theater in Century City?

#7 | Posted by AMERICANUNITY at 2019-08-21 01:40 AM | Reply

This is almost as heartwarming as seeing the bloated------------ give a thumbs up after inspiring the El Paso shooter.

#8 | Posted by reinheitsgebot at 2019-08-21 06:02 AM | Reply

"...------------....

#8 | POSTED BY REINHEITSGEBOT"

What------------ are you talking about?

#9 | Posted by goatman at 2019-08-21 07:07 AM | Reply