Thursday, August 22, 2019

The words "felon," "offender," "convict," "addict" and "juvenile delinquent" would be part of the past in official San Francisco parlance under new "person first" language guidelines adopted by the Board of Supervisors.

Going forward, what was once called a convicted felon or an offender released from jail will be a "formerly incarcerated person," or a "justice-involved" person or simply a "returning resident." Parolees and people on criminal probation will be referred to as a "person on parole," or "person under supervision." A juvenile "delinquent" will become a "young person with justice system involvement," or a "young person impacted by the juvenile justice system." And drug addicts or substance abusers will become "a person with a history of substance use."

"We don't want people to be forever labeled for the worst things that they have done," Supervisor Matt Haney said.

Comments

Having lived here for most of my life, even I think this is abysmally stupid. My wife, who works for the City Attorneys' Office, disagrees with me.

Our dog was overjoyed to share the couch with me last night.

#1 | Posted by leftcoastlawyer at 2019-08-22 11:21 AM | Reply

Nulli says this often - Orwell never intended 1984 to be a how-to guide.

#2 | Posted by JeffJ at 2019-08-22 11:25 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

Our fetish for sadism is unparalleled. We can't even take measures to prevent the continued persecution of people who have already done their time.

#3 | Posted by Hagbard_Celine at 2019-08-22 11:41 AM | Reply

If you can't do the time (and all its consequences), don't do the crime.

Pretty simple.

#4 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2019-08-22 11:45 AM | Reply

Fetish for sadism case in point.

#5 | Posted by Hagbard_Celine at 2019-08-22 11:45 AM | Reply

Most of the changes in verbiage seem to be aimed at people who have served their time.

Giving them an opportunity for redemption, rather than being labeled "convicted felons" for the rest of their lives, which can (and will) impede their ability to find work, live normal lives, become members of society.

#6 | Posted by ClownShack at 2019-08-22 11:52 AM | Reply

"Fetish for sadism case in point."

No, Hag.

I'm a Sadist.

#4 is just being an -----.

#7 | Posted by RevDarko at 2019-08-22 11:58 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

As a former Prosecutor, I realized that many of the people I convicted had no fear of doing a nickel/dime in prison since many of their friends were already in the system and they would only spend 50% of that time incarcerated. The only deterrent was the fact that once in the system they would carry that brand with them when they got out.

Sorry that you think our system is sadistic, but most of the thugs that I prosecuted were sadists.

#8 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2019-08-22 11:59 AM | Reply

I agree with this, and there is a small percentage of former felons that deserve a chance to have that label removed completely. There is a chicken/egg aspect to recidivism, but for the most part, in my experience, repeat felons don't want a second chance, they are going to do what they do regardless of the consequences.

Unless you have seen the system up close at its grittiest, I don't expect you to understand.

#9 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2019-08-22 12:04 PM | Reply

#8 | POSTED BY RIGHTOCENTER AT 2019-08-22 11:59 AM | FLAG: Also, when one considers the recidivism rates ......

#10 | Posted by MSgt at 2019-08-22 12:04 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

I have long felt that a condition of parole should be going to school and being provided with a job by the State, it would be far cheaper than continuing to lock people up and would quickly identify those who truly want a second chance.

#11 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2019-08-22 12:09 PM | Reply

Snowflakes snowflaking, some pulling double duty even!

either of your internet personas don't like san fran? then move one of them

Anything is more productive than anonymously crying all broken dick on the internet about it, x2

#12 | Posted by ChiefTutMoses at 2019-08-22 12:16 PM | Reply

"I'm a Sadist. #4 is just being an -----."

I definitely didn't mean to insult you.

#13 | Posted by Hagbard_Celine at 2019-08-22 12:20 PM | Reply

"I realized that many of the people I convicted had no fear of doing a nickel/dime in prison since many of their friends were already in the system and they would only spend 50% of that time incarcerated. The only deterrent was the fact that once in the system they would carry that brand with them when they got out."

See, I read that sentence, take it to be a truthful and accurate statement about facts on the ground, and think well that's good reason right there to make changes. Others take it as an excuse to double down and exacerbate the inherent failures of the system.

#14 | Posted by Hagbard_Celine at 2019-08-22 12:23 PM | Reply

#15 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2019-08-22 12:29 PM | Reply

"Keep reading, maybe that will keep your knee from jerking so hard next time you read one of my posts."

I fail to see how giving with one hand while demanding the rightness of taking with the other yields a net positive outcome.

#16 | Posted by Hagbard_Celine at 2019-08-22 02:26 PM | Reply

Words like "felon" are how we keep child molesters off of school grounds.

#17 | Posted by Tor at 2019-08-22 03:13 PM | Reply

"Words like "felon" are how we keep child molesters off of school grounds."

Border Patrol is hiring.

#18 | Posted by snoofy at 2019-08-22 03:32 PM | Reply

On one hand, I think murderers and child molesters should be branded for life for everyone else's safety.

But on the other hand, I think this is pointless feel-good waste of time crap. Changing the label. How useless can you get? How about for all non-violent crimes, once you've done the time, you're done and there is no record? Recidivism is at insane levels, and of course it is - you take away someone's ability to make a better life and you take away the most effective leverage of punishment - giving people something to lose.

#19 | Posted by zeropointnrg at 2019-08-22 07:05 PM | Reply

Is child molestation considered a felony?

It should just be considered child molestation.

So everyone is clear they should punch you in the face.

#20 | Posted by ClownShack at 2019-08-22 07:12 PM | Reply

San Francisco is doing everything it can to drive normal people out of its city.

#21 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2019-08-22 07:30 PM | Reply

Damn, that is going to change the way they behave around society.

#22 | Posted by Sniper at 2019-08-24 09:56 AM | Reply