Thursday, August 22, 2019

After finishing a particularly satisfying dinner at a Coral Gables restaurant with his wife, Pedro Martinez quietly slipped around to the back alley where the kitchen is.

"Whatever you're making, I'll give you a raise," Mr. Martinez whispered when the back door swung open. An executive at 50 Eggs, a restaurant group based in Miami, he is always ready with a stack of business cards for occasions like this.

More immigrants have streamed into South Florida than to most American cities, and for decades, employers have relied on them to wash dishes, put up drywall and care for grandmothers. Still, there are not enough to fill Miami's relentless boomtown demand for workers.

Comments

I vote we only allow those that have skills we need and show a high probability of accepting and assimilating into our culture. We already have enough leftists and other troublemakers.

#1 | Posted by visitor_ at 2019-08-22 04:43 PM | Reply

@#1 ... I vote we only allow those that have skills we need ...

That's a bit ambiguous. What type of skills do we need?

... show a high probability of accepting and assimilating into our culture. ...

Our culture is an amalgam of many different cultures. Are you saying that we should continue looking for those who have a different culture than we currently have? What, exactly, is our culture?

#2 | Posted by LampLighter at 2019-08-22 04:56 PM | Reply

More from list A, few or none from list B.

A: Doctors, Engineers, Scientists, educated or otherwise skilled.

B: Community organizers, un-educated unskilled.

SJWs, communists, Marxists, leftists need not apply.

#3 | Posted by visitor_ at 2019-08-22 05:09 PM | Reply

I have no probblem with immigrants as long as they come to this country legally. I have desire or support for those who wish to break the law to be here. We have enough criminals as it is.

#4 | Posted by goatman at 2019-08-22 05:27 PM | Reply

"I have [no] desire or support for those who wish to break the law to be here."

#5 | Posted by snoofy at 2019-08-22 05:30 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Could always just economically support family creation in the US, but that would be hard and sensible. Very few careers out there which lend support to having 3+ kids on a single income.

#6 | Posted by GOnoles92 at 2019-08-22 05:31 PM | Reply

"You hired them out of the Home Depot parking lot, gave them a hot lunch, and were happy to have them do good work for little money.

POSTED BY SNOOFY "

Correction:

I hired some Mexicans from a Shell station parking lot, gave them lunch, and were happy to have them do good work for little money. I also kept them supplied with lemonade and ciagarettes.

#7 | Posted by goatman at 2019-08-22 05:35 PM | Reply

You supported them.

#8 | Posted by snoofy at 2019-08-22 05:51 PM | Reply

"You supported them.

#8 | POSTED BY SNOOFY "

And if I didn't, you or your ilk would say I hated brown people.

#9 | Posted by goatman at 2019-08-22 05:58 PM | Reply

You supported them.
In #4 you said you don't support them.

Both can't be true, Goatman.

#10 | Posted by snoofy at 2019-08-22 06:03 PM | Reply

We have enough criminals as it is.
#4 | POSTED BY GOATMAN

Especially in the White House.

#11 | Posted by ClownShack at 2019-08-22 06:06 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Both can't be true, Goatman.
#10 | POSTED BY SNOOFY

#12 | Posted by ClownShack at 2019-08-22 06:08 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

"As unemployment rates nationwide have sunk to record lows, filching workers " from kitchens and construction sites, warehouses and Walmarts, truck cabs and nursing homes " has become routine."

As long as Mr. Martinez, and his company, 50 Eggs, are hiring legal immigrants, I don't care who he filches from restaurant alleys.

If he's knowingly hiring illegals committing identity fraud, then he's part of the problem, not the solution.

#13 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2019-08-22 06:14 PM | Reply

"You supported them.
In #4 you said you don't support them.
Both can't be true, Goatman.

POSTED BY SNOOFY"

Reread #7, if you even read it at all. Do it slowly. Comprehension is important.

#14 | Posted by goatman at 2019-08-22 06:15 PM | Reply

"He, like Trump, privately support illegal immigrants, while publicly denouncing them.

#12 | POSTED BY CLOWNSHACK"

You should also reread post 7. Reading and reading comprehension are fundamental.

#15 | Posted by goatman at 2019-08-22 06:16 PM | Reply

clownshack, snoofy, even if I had no problem with illegal aliens 20 years ago, I have a problem with them now.

#16 | Posted by goatman at 2019-08-22 06:25 PM | Reply

@#3 ... More from list A, few or none from list B.

A: Doctors, Engineers, Scientists, educated or otherwise skilled.

B: Community organizers, un-educated unskilled. ...

So it seems that you want to have immigrants who can fill jobs needing significant skills, and not those immigrants who fill the menial jobs.

#17 | Posted by LampLighter at 2019-08-22 06:45 PM | Reply

"And if I didn't, you or your ilk would say I hated brown people.
#9 | POSTED BY GOATMAN"

Okay, we can do it your way, that's fine.
Since you won't hire illegals now, what made you hate brown people?

#18 | Posted by snoofy at 2019-08-22 06:47 PM | Reply

"Might the result of that be that immigrants will hold the high-skilled jobs, and the low-skilled jobs will be left to American citizens?

#17 | POSTED BY LAMPLIGHTER "

#19 | Posted by goatman at 2019-08-22 06:47 PM | Reply

"Since you won't hire illegals now, what made you hate brown people?

POSTED BY SNOOFY"

You're question is based on a false premise. I'm not taking the bait, troll

#20 | Posted by goatman at 2019-08-22 06:51 PM | Reply

"You're question is based on a false premise"

It's based on your premise, Goatman.

#21 | Posted by snoofy at 2019-08-22 06:52 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

"It's based on your premise, Goatman.

#21 | POSTED BY SNOOFY "

Wrong. You often prove that your MO is to take a person''s words and twist and spin them them into something they are not and claim that person said them.

If you can show me where I said I hate brown people, do so. Otherwise, begone, troll!

#22 | Posted by goatman at 2019-08-22 06:56 PM | Reply

Here you go:

You supported them.
#8 | POSTED BY SNOOFY

And if I didn't, you or your ilk would say I hated brown people.
#9 | POSTED BY GOATMAN

Since you don't support them now, what changed and made you hate brown people?

#23 | Posted by snoofy at 2019-08-22 06:59 PM | Reply

#23 | POSTED BY SNOOFY

#24 | Posted by goatman at 2019-08-22 07:01 PM | Reply

#16 | POSTED BY GOATMAN

Thanks Trump!!

#25 | Posted by ClownShack at 2019-08-22 07:04 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

@#19 ... It could. As one who has no problem with legal immigration, I have no problem with that scenario ...

I was hoping the OP would follow up, and also that he'd follow up with my question about his comment about cultural assimilation.

fwiw, my opinion is close to yours. My problem is with illegal immigration, not legal immigration. As a corollary, my problem extends to enployers who give jobs to illegal immigrants to raise the profits of the company.

#26 | Posted by LampLighter at 2019-08-22 07:06 PM | Reply

Thats one way to look at it.

Big leaps from College never working, to working a 40hr week is entitlement.

If the supply is there corporations will figure out how to make use of it, as I said, labor companies are fly by nite, regular corporations hire these companies for menial labor, janitors, food suppliers etc etc. Jobs they used to use employees for.

#27 | Posted by AndreaMackris at 2019-08-22 07:25 PM | Reply

@#27 ... I see the menial jobs as stepping stones to skilled jobs. Personally I a mowed lawns, worked at Wendy's and became a tester before my career started as a Software Engineer. ...

I sold can openers in a department store. :)

What about many of the menial jobs that the illegal immigrants currently hold... temporary agricultural workers, meat packing plant employees, etc. Will the wages rise to the level that will attract legal workers?

... If there wasn't a shortage of skilled labor you might be correct. Currently I can find an illegal immigrant to work for 5$, and have am currently doing KnowledgeTransfer for a software position to India. ...

I'm having trouble parsing that.

But I think to your point... I'm not saying we should not fill skilled position with legal immigrants (an Intel CEO comes to mind). I think it would be great if a highly skilled legal immigrant worked at a company and such work allowed the company to stay based in the United States and grow and prosper.

I was commenting on one interpretation of what was said. Given the current administration, I wanted to be specific in what the original comment meant.

... If the supply is there corporations will figure out how to make use of it, ...

We may disagree a bit here.

I think the companies encourage the supply to be there.

The raids in Mississippi show that.

The companies involved started to advertise in local media after the raids and guess what. They received a lot of interest from local legal workers, albeit, at higher salaries. Yes, advertising in local media for local job openings got local people to apply (quelle surprise!).

The downside for the companies was two-fold, however. The companies had to pay higher wages to legal workers, and they had to treat the workers better because legal workers have better protection from abuse than illegal workers.

... Assimilation is important, infact its the most important part of immigration. Having little fiefdoms of separate cultures is balkinization. ...

What is the culture like now? How will immigration change that? Do we have balkanization now? Will immigration change that?

What is the culture that we want to protect from balkanization?

#28 | Posted by LampLighter at 2019-08-22 08:03 PM | Reply

@#27 ... the supply is there corporations will figure out how to make use of it ...

Many Mexican migrants secure jobs in U.S. even before crossing the border
www.mrt.com

...When Pedro Lopez Vazquez crossed illegally into the United States last week, he was not heading north to look for a job. He already had one.

His future employer even paid $1,000 for a smuggler to help Vazquez make his way from the central Mexican city of Puebla to Aspen, Colo.

"We're going to Colorado to work in carpentry because we have a friend who was going to give us a job," Vazquez said....

His story is not unusual. A growing number of U.S. employers and migrants are tapping into an underground employment network that matches one with the other, often before the migrants leave home.

"It continues to become clear who controls immigration: It's not governments, but rather the market," said Jorge Santibanez, director of the Tijuana-based think-tank Colegio de la Frontera Norte.

As debate over immigration heats up in the United States, more and more U.S. companies in need of cheap labor are turning to undocumented employees to recruit friends and relatives back home, and to smugglers to find job seekers....

#29 | Posted by LampLighter at 2019-08-22 08:41 PM | Reply

Maybe the free market system was never broken to begin with. Unless you can't stand living with brown people, where was the problem? (Hint, rejecting TPP is the correct answer. )

...Sincerely, your DR economist.

Welcome

#30 | Posted by bocaink at 2019-08-22 09:05 PM | Reply

"And what does assimilation really mean in this context? I've asked that question many times, but no one ever seems to answer it."

In most cases the parents who immigrate here have a hard time assimilating but their kids fit in very well. This "assimilation" thing is a fake bunch of baloney, don't believe me, come to S. Florida and I can show you immigrants from all over the place all working alongside the rest of us.

#31 | Posted by danni at 2019-08-23 11:25 AM | Reply

Assimilation is great if your accepted. If you are treated like a second class citizen because you came here without skills or because your different.. your culture becomes all you have.

And it sounds like it's ok to help immigrants when it's convenient.. but when you don't need them they're a burden... classy

#32 | Posted by 503jc69 at 2019-08-23 03:51 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

One in four people have no clean drinking water. We are running out of natural resources, and the globalists want to bring in more people to force our wages down and break unions?

Yeah, I'd vote for that.

We spend a half trillion a year caring for illegals. It would be cheaper just to set them on fire to scare the others away. Why can't they fix their own nations? Oh, yeah, I know why: they can't become civilized without the help of white people, right?

#33 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2019-08-23 08:48 PM | Reply

#31 | Posted by danni

I know what you mean - the legal ones do awesome, and even have half our crime rate. But there is a limit to what we can absorb illegally. There are 360 million Americans already, one in four Americans without safe drinking water, 40% of our federal prisoners illegals, etc...

The cost of 1st gen illegals is enormous: a half trillion a year.

Meanwhile we have have homeless vets living in the streets.

No, I'm drawing the line.

No more at this point. Build the wall and deport.

#34 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2019-08-23 09:53 PM | Reply

Now do red state net moochers.

#35 | Posted by bocaink at 2019-08-23 11:22 PM | Reply

I'm all for legal immigrants with employable skills, all against illegal immigrants.

#36 | Posted by MSgt at 2019-08-24 12:08 PM | Reply