Friday, August 23, 2019

AAA: When filling-up at the pump this fall, the majority of U.S. motorists will find savings of potentially more than 25-cents/gallon compared to this summer. The national gas price average, which is already 15-cents cheaper than just five weeks ago, is poised to continue pushing less expensive due to several factors, including less expensive crude oil prices, the drop-off in gasoline demand after Labor Day and the move to winter-blend gasoline. AAA forecasts the national average to drop to $2.40 or lower this fall and offers motorists easy tips to maintain fuel efficiency throughout the year.

Comments

I'm paying %2.27 now at the HEB

#1 | Posted by goatman at 2019-08-23 02:38 AM | Reply

If you know where to go in my neighborhood you can find it for under 2.20. On the way to visit the daughter, one year old grandson and family earlier, it was about 2.40 at Greens and Aldine Westfield (Greens is a non-toll access to IAH from I-45 so that's to be expected.)

As usual, passed the Halliburton campus on the Beltway, a place you've mentioned attending previously.

#2 | Posted by et_al at 2019-08-23 03:00 AM | Reply

#3 | Posted by et_al at 2019-08-23 03:00 AM | Reply

F**k, I hate Chrome, sorry 'bout that.

#4 | Posted by et_al at 2019-08-23 03:01 AM | Reply

#2.12 where I live right now. Heard America was about to flood the world oil markets, as we are now net exporters. This price is comparable to the #0.60 we paid before the oil shock in the 1970's modified for inflation....

#5 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2019-08-23 03:16 AM | Reply

Hey, on;y $3.84 for regular in Cali!

#6 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2019-08-23 03:17 AM | Reply

"But then the president of every oil company on Earth will tell you "oil prices are cyclical".

#5 | POSTED BY HELIUMRAT"

You don't need oil company presidents to tell you that. Weekly fillups are a good indicator as well.

#7 | Posted by goatman at 2019-08-23 03:19 AM | Reply

Hey, on;y $3.84 for regular in Cali!

Thanks Gov. Moonbeam!

#8 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2019-08-23 11:48 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Prices are higher at the Navy Exchange than some other local gas stations. That's usually what happens when prices are coming down. The NEX is notoriously slow to reflect lower prices. I'm not sure if it is because they buy in bulk and sell it slower or what. Either way, $2.27ish in Hampton Roads.

#9 | Posted by Avigdore at 2019-08-23 12:04 PM | Reply

"Hey, on;y $3.84 for regular in Cali!"

if 3.84 per gallon of gas breaks your piggy bank ---- you have only yourself to blame

Ben "My Parents Paid for Harvard" Shapiro

#10 | Posted by ChiefTutMoses at 2019-08-23 12:39 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

$2.29/gal in Central Texas at Diamond Slamcock.

#11 | Posted by madscientist at 2019-08-23 01:00 PM | Reply

I blew $500 a month last year driving to the orchard and back. This is going to help a lot.

#12 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2019-08-23 08:27 PM | Reply

Won't see much lower prices in Cali with the highest gas taxes in the country, spent on god knows what. Thanks Jerry Moonbeam and Gavin Moonbeam!

#13 | Posted by nullifidian at 2019-08-24 12:18 AM | Reply

Won't see much lower prices in Cali with the highest gas taxes in the country,

I hear Idaho is lovely.

Enjoy your new life there.

#14 | Posted by ClownShack at 2019-08-24 12:20 AM | Reply

Idaho is a godforsaken state. I've had to drive up to Pocatello and Boise for work.

It's like the moon, but with weeds and prairie dogs.

#15 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2019-08-24 12:28 AM | Reply

Yet the Sawtooth and the Salmon River are two of the most beautiful places in the US.

#16 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2019-08-24 12:30 AM | Reply

Angel Lake, Sawtooth Wilderness

#17 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2019-08-24 12:32 AM | Reply

The gorges were ok. I did stop off at the Snake River Canyon where Evel Knievel did his rocket bike crash.

I was surprised to see so much volcanic rock. I had no idea.

#18 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2019-08-24 12:33 AM | Reply

That must be where Stanly Kubrick filmed the moon landing.

/snark

#19 | Posted by ClownShack at 2019-08-24 12:34 AM | Reply

#17 Never saw that. Is it up north?

#20 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2019-08-24 12:35 AM | Reply

--I hear Idaho is lovely.

The lack of California hipsters and soy boy carrot-crunchers sounds like a plus.

#21 | Posted by nullifidian at 2019-08-24 12:37 AM | Reply

So did I. Did you pick up the same vibe about how much the locals hated the whole Evel Knievel stunt?

#22 | Posted by REDIAL at 2019-08-24 12:39 AM | Reply

I didn't really ask them. But when I was a kid, I was a HUGE fan.

I had an Evel Knievel action figure toy with a bike that you'd use a zip tie like thing to rev up and let loose.

It was the same kind of device like STP racers. You'd insert this plastic zipper cord into a gear connected to the rubber tire and pull it.

#23 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2019-08-24 12:43 AM | Reply

So anyway, the Evel Knievel zip tie bike would pop wheelies and fly across the floor.

We built ramps and jumped GI Joe, or naked barbies with scribbled crayon.

#24 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2019-08-24 12:45 AM | Reply

You have to apply at least two years in advance to do the best trails through the Sawtooth, and you can only really see the Salmon by taking a rafting trip, because most of it is National Wilderness (totally different from a National Park, although they are part of the system).

#25 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2019-08-24 12:46 AM | Reply

--Angel Lake, Sawtooth Wilderness

Looks like the High Sierra, which I backpacked many times when my knees were younger.

#26 | Posted by nullifidian at 2019-08-24 12:46 AM | Reply

Bushwack lake, insanely awesome but kind of buggy at night.

#27 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2019-08-24 12:48 AM | Reply

Looks like the Minarets in the Sierra.

#28 | Posted by nullifidian at 2019-08-24 12:50 AM | Reply

I'm done with rafting trips. By back and knees are gone. A day hike for me is 2-3 miles with little climbing.

We went into the redwoods at Yosemite 3 years ago and the walk back - uphill - almost killed me.

#29 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2019-08-24 12:50 AM | Reply

#27 Damn, that's nice.

#30 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2019-08-24 12:51 AM | Reply

The HS is nothing compared to the Sawtooth:

Toxaway Lake from 13,000 feet.

#31 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2019-08-24 12:52 AM | Reply

It's all about training, I do 50+ miles each year with buddies somewhere in the US, this year we did the Boundary Waters.

#32 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2019-08-24 12:55 AM | Reply

#29 | Posted by SheepleSchism

A longtime friend from CA and I went on a rafting trip down the Colorado River through the Grand Canyon a couple of years ago. It was a blast!

Same friend whose cool but huge dog slowly nudged me off my sleeping in the night when we he visited us and we took off for a week hiking in Smoky Mtn Natl Park. Woke up on the sand on this sandbar between two rivers with Rex, his dog, sleeping happily on his back with all four feet in the air. I still laugh about that.

#33 | Posted by AMERICANUNITY at 2019-08-24 01:03 AM | Reply

Oh, and Rex, my friend's dog who was nearly the size of a Great Dane, would only ride on the front seat ....

Well, Rex had an adventure on his way home from that Smoky Mtn hiking trip. When friend stopped in Utah on his way home to CA from our place, Rex took off. My friend spent a week in Utah trying to find him and finally headed home for CA.

Over a week later he gets a call from this family - mom, dad, 2 kids - who were calling from Utah and on their way out to CA. "Hey, do you have a dog named Rex," they asked. Yup, it was him. He'd hiked over the mountains and was about 100+ miles from where he'd run off. "He's riding in the front seat. My wife and kids are in the back seat. Seems Rex will only ride on the front seat." And so he did all the way back to CA where my friend met up with them.

#34 | Posted by AMERICANUNITY at 2019-08-24 01:15 AM | Reply

Electric vehicles must be slightly threatening the fossil fuel industry so they are trying to make driving fossil fuel powered vehicles cheaper to operate. There is a price point for gas that would make it cheaper to drive a fossil fuel vehicle than an expensive EV. It's a temporary solution for fossil fuel producers, at some point EVs will be cheap enough to buy that the fossil fuel industry will begin shrinking, personally, I can't wait. My daughter just got a new job which will require a lot of driving and we are considering the purchase of an EV because the mileage payments she'll receive would probably be enough to pay for the vehicle.

#35 | Posted by danni at 2019-08-24 10:18 AM | Reply

#9 | POSTED BY AVIGDORE AT 2019-08-23 12:04 PM | FLAG: NEX will sell off the gasoline at the [selling] price point it was purchased at and the next batch they receive will reflect a different price [standard practice at all military bases].

#36 | Posted by MSgt at 2019-08-24 11:39 AM | Reply

The price of regular at the local brand name stations here in SoCal is around $3.79. We try to buy all of our gas at COSTCO where regular was $3.35 last week. Last week my wife bought a new Mercedes C300, which unfortunately requires premium, so at least half our cost of gas is about to go up.

OCU

#37 | Posted by OCUser at 2019-08-24 11:49 AM | Reply

I think that's becoming more common as manufacturers shift to smaller turbocharged engines to stay within mileage regulations.

You pay an extra buck a gallon. But hey! Think of the environment.

Only government bureaucrats could think of something so dumb.

#38 | Posted by Ray at 2019-08-24 12:01 PM | Reply

#21 | POSTED BY NULLIFIDIAN

So start packing. I'm sure your neighbors would be all to happy to lend a hand.

#39 | Posted by jpw at 2019-08-24 12:12 PM | Reply

I have a neighbor with a 2018 C300 and he says it gets the best gas mileage of any car that he's owned, often 30 mpg or more even just driving around town. Not sure if I believe him but will check it out after we run a couple of tank fulls through the car. If it does get mileage like that, it will be much better than what she got with her old Honda that she traded-in.

OCU

#40 | Posted by OCUser at 2019-08-24 01:10 PM | Reply

ROAD TRIP!

#41 | Posted by goatman at 2019-08-24 01:47 PM | Reply

Actually we're planning a trip to Northern California and Oregon for mid-September. Up until my wife decided to get her C300, the plan was to drive my GMC Terrain, but now we'll probably take her car. That should be a good mileage test.

OCU

#42 | Posted by OCUser at 2019-08-24 02:05 PM | Reply

Octane if I remember correctly controls the burn/flame from detonating at the wrong time. In high RPM engines you need this consistency, to prevent pre-ignition and detonation, in order to optimize combustion.

I would recommend using it in all small engines high RPM engines, regardless ....

My Porsche just sounded better/healthier/smoother .......

#43 | Posted by AndreaMackris at 2019-08-24 02:40 PM | Reply

My Porsche just sounded better/healthier/smoother .......
#43 | POSTED BY ANDREAMACKRIS

Beautiful vehicles

#44 | Posted by GOnoles92 at 2019-08-24 02:46 PM | Reply

Yes, Mercedes has done a lot to maximize efficiency with these newer cars. For example, the C300 has 'stop-start', where the engine shuts off when you're stopped at a street light. This is the first car I've owned that has this feature and it's something you have to get used to. I've rented cars that had it so I knew what it was. That being said, years ago when, I was traveling a lot in Europe and Asia, many of the taxi drivers would do this manually whenever they were stopped for more then a few seconds, but then the price of gas is much higher in most other countries, particularly in places like Denmark and Belgium or in Asia, like in Singapore and Japan. The C300 also has a nine-speed transmission so that the engine is always running at it's most efficient rev-level. They also have an ECO drive mode (along with the normal Comfort and TWO different Sport modes). And there's no power-steering pump, it's electric-assisted steering, which is also controlled by what drive mode you using. The one totally new thing is something called a 'recuperation' system. While the C300 is NOT a hybrid it does have an energy recovery system that charges the battery when you take your foot off the gas and start to slow down, bypassing the alternator, which supposedly saves gas. There's an efficiency display that shows you your current fuel consumption rate as well as indicating when the 'recuperation' system is actived. And keep in mind, the extensive use of LED lights both inside and out must also reduce the need for generating as much electrical power as would have been needed by older vehicles.

All in all, the Mercedes people seem to have put a lot of effort into increasing the overall efficiency of the vehicle, and they've done so without sacrificing performance, because when you step on it, she goes like scared rabbit ;-)

OCU

#45 | Posted by OCUser at 2019-08-24 04:21 PM | Reply

TRUMP'S FAULT!!!!!

#46 | Posted by Sniper at 2019-08-24 04:25 PM | Reply

Libbies/progs just hate low oil prices, as is does not help further their agenda, don't ya know ; )

#47 | Posted by MSgt at 2019-08-24 08:57 PM | Reply

I'm shocked that the Libs on here even have cars, I assumed you all didn't have any fossil fueled vehicles

#48 | Posted by Maverick at 2019-08-25 10:16 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

2c cheaper today than yesterday at my usual pump.

#49 | Posted by goatman at 2019-08-25 01:16 PM | Reply