Saturday, August 24, 2019

Dog owners have lower blood pressure, are less likely to be obese and are on average 2.2lbs lighter than people without canine companions, scientists have discovered. A study by the Mayo Clinic and Italian researchers, showed that people with dogs are far healthier than those with either no pets, or those who own a different animal.

Comments

It cool, Pirate can take 'em. You should see him scrap. He lost an eye and it doesn't bother him. Of course, that was to another cat....

But I sleep well at night knowing I'm well protected.

#1 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2019-08-23 10:58 PM | Reply

When I was younger, I used to think it was funny how old people talked to their dogs like babies, and called themselves "mommy and daddy" to the dogs. You know, like, "Come to mommy, Peaches....come to mommy!"

Now my wife and I do it. haha

#2 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2019-08-23 11:47 PM | Reply

--funny how old people talked to their dogs like babies,

I was watching an episode of Midsomer Murders today, and the chief detective Barnaby was talking to his dog while figuring out the case. His junior detective
Jones came in and said something like "who are you talking to?" Barnaby pointed to his dog, and Jones just shook his head. But it makes sense. Verbalizing your ideas, even to a dog, or maybe especially to a dog, might involve different cognitive paths. It's more natural talking to a dog than talking out loud to an empty room.

#3 | Posted by nullifidian at 2019-08-24 12:01 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

"I was watching an episode of Midsomer Murders today,"

I was watching one earlier tonight. Barnaby and Jones were in it but no dogs. Guess I have that one to look forward to.

#4 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2019-08-24 12:04 AM | Reply

- Barnaby and Jones

Makes me think of Buddy Ebson (Jed Clampett) playing Barnaby Jones. Boy that was a dumb show.

Anyone remember Kolchak: The Night Stalker? I loved that one.

#5 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2019-08-24 12:23 AM | Reply

How about Kojak?

So dumb it was awesome.

#6 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2019-08-24 12:27 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Don't know if I ever saw Kolchak, but it sounds like the X-Files, which was goofy fun, especially the comedic episodes.

#7 | Posted by nullifidian at 2019-08-24 12:33 AM | Reply

Hahaha...Teddy with the lolipop.

#8 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2019-08-24 12:34 AM | Reply

My wife loves X-Files.

#9 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2019-08-24 12:36 AM | Reply

Who loves ya baby.

#10 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2019-08-24 12:38 AM | Reply

Hahaha...I might have to Hulu that.

#11 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2019-08-24 12:39 AM | Reply

It's true in my house. We have three dogs (and a cat who adopted us last year), and have always had three, sometimes four if we're fostering for a rescue.

We do a lot of fun activities together nearly every day. Hiking, swimming, biking (the two big ones run alongside), et al. That's for sure one reason why I'm happy and in pretty good shape. They also provide laughter with some of their antics. One funny thing I noted to my wife today was how overjoyed they are when I come back inside from checking the mailbox. Same welcome as if I'd been gone for a week or two.

#12 | Posted by AMERICANUNITY at 2019-08-24 01:59 AM | Reply

Lassie, get help!

#13 | Posted by Greatamerican at 2019-08-24 03:25 AM | Reply

Lassie, get help!

#13 | Posted by Greatamerican

Funny Lassie skit with Jim Carrey.

www.youtube.com

#14 | Posted by AMERICANUNITY at 2019-08-24 03:32 AM | Reply

San Francisco dog says: Maybe 50 years of Democrats is too long.

i0.wp.com

#15 | Posted by nullifidian at 2019-08-24 08:55 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

It's more natural talking to a dog than talking out loud to an empty room.
#3 | POSTED BY NULLIFIDIAN

Or an a Alexa or GoogleHome!

#16 | Posted by AndreaMackris at 2019-08-24 10:19 AM | Reply

Lassie, get help!
#13 | GREATAMERICAN

Lassie: Bark bark!
Ruth: Did you hear that Paul! Timmy has fallen into the mine shaft at the old Simpson place and it's filling with water!

#17 | Posted by Vaquero at 2019-08-24 11:23 AM | Reply

As long as they keep them at home. That's all we need is another excuse for a person owning a "support" animal and taking it every place with them.

#18 | Posted by goatman at 2019-08-24 02:46 PM | Reply

#6 I was in love with Telly Savalas. To this day I am still attracted to bald men.

#19 | Posted by gracieamazed at 2019-08-24 03:47 PM | Reply

#20 | Posted by danni at 2019-08-24 03:53 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

"I don't mind most support animals but the support horses on an airliner was just a little bit much to me.

#20 | POSTED BY DANNI "

I agree. ALso, Samual Jackson should have been a bit more tolerant about tose support snakes.

#21 | Posted by goatman at 2019-08-24 03:56 PM | Reply

In related news cat owners are more likely to live alone and died after mysterious falls down the stairs.

#22 | Posted by Tor at 2019-08-24 04:00 PM | Reply

To this day I am still attracted to bald men.

#19 | POSTED BYGRACIEAMAZED

That's not surprising since skinheads are white supremacists.

#23 | Posted by PinchALoaf at 2019-08-24 04:02 PM | Reply

Gracie posts, Bedpan Bob responds like a 2 year old followed by fap fap fap. Recovers and anxiously awaits her next post. Wash, rinse repeat, fap, fap, fap.

#24 | Posted by gracieamazed at 2019-08-24 04:10 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

All you white people who own dogs are white supremacists.

"Liberal's Tweet Goes Viral: 'White People Love Dogs Because They Miss Owning Slaves"

#EverythingIsRacist
#NYTimes
#MSMDNC

#25 | Posted by nullifidian at 2019-08-24 04:29 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

#24 | POSTED BYGRACIEAMAZED

If Hitler shaved his head, but kept the funny little hitler mustache, would that turn your head?

#26 | Posted by PinchALoaf at 2019-08-24 04:31 PM | Reply

Fap, fap, fap...........He's going to need another box of Kleenex.

#27 | Posted by gracieamazed at 2019-08-24 04:42 PM | Reply

#18 | POSTED BY GOATMAN

#28 | Posted by johnny_hotsauce at 2019-08-24 05:39 PM | Reply

"I'll be sure to tell the veterans who I help train support animals for that they need to just stay at home because you said so.

#28 | POSTED BY JOHNNY_HOTSAUCE "

Except I didn't say that. Or do you train support animals who help with heart health? If so, go ahead and tell them because that is cleary what I was referring to knee-jerk notwithstanding..

#29 | Posted by goatman at 2019-08-24 05:47 PM | Reply

#28 | POSTED BY JOHNNY_HOTSAUCE "

But yeah, if you train animals for one person of a married couple, ask them why their spouse doesn't provide emotional support. If someone seeks a dog over their spouse for emotional support, its highly unlikely the dog is going to fix their problem.

#30 | Posted by goatman at 2019-08-24 06:00 PM | Reply

My emotional support animal is a 16oz bacon wrapped ribeye.

#31 | Posted by lee_the_agent at 2019-08-24 06:07 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

"My emotional support animal is a 16oz bacon wrapped ribeye.

#31 | POSTED BY LEE_THE_AGENT "

Isn't that two animals?

#32 | Posted by goatman at 2019-08-24 06:13 PM | Reply

Technically yes, but I need them both. I'm an admitted emotionally supported selfish -----.

#33 | Posted by lee_the_agent at 2019-08-24 06:18 PM | Reply

The beneficial gene in a dog is their unconditional love. No other creature on earth can rival a dog for loving faithfulness.

#34 | Posted by phesterOBoyle at 2019-08-24 10:08 PM | Reply

No question dogs are better than cats.

#35 | Posted by REDIAL at 2019-08-24 10:13 PM | Reply

"No question dogs are better than cats.

#35 | POSTED BY REDIAL "

Depends on how they are prepared.

#36 | Posted by goatman at 2019-08-24 11:05 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

^ or so I'm told. Of the two, I've ever only eaten dog

#37 | Posted by goatman at 2019-08-24 11:06 PM | Reply

Of the two, I've ever only eaten dog...

That you know of. :-)

#38 | Posted by REDIAL at 2019-08-24 11:37 PM | Reply

Had a collie growing up. would get another in a heartbeat were it not for the copious amounts of fur they shed.

Have a lab mix now (12 yo) and had a second one until February. Will never pass up another one of them. Both had the temperament of a lab without the health problems.

#39 | Posted by jpw at 2019-08-25 11:07 AM | Reply

I pet my dog to relax.

youtu.be

#40 | Posted by shane at 2019-08-25 12:59 PM | Reply

I pet my dog to relax.

youtu.be

#40 | Posted by shane

LOL!

All three of our dogs are "love sponges." The big ones are 70-80 lbs. The little guy - a 10 pounder we rescued off the street one bitterly cold night, a flea infested, starving guy who looked like a dirty mop with no handle - loves playing a game where I move my hand around under the covers until I let him catch it and they end up in the "jaws of death." He doesn't bite hard, and it wouldn't hurt even if he did.

#41 | Posted by AMERICANUNITY at 2019-08-26 02:17 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1