Sunday, August 25, 2019

The US must lift restrictions on UK businesses if it wants a trade deal with the UK, Boris Johnson has said. Travelling to the G7 summit in Biarritz, France, the PM said there were "very considerable barriers in the US to British businesses".

Comments

"However, the Speaker of the US House of Representatives, Nancy Pelosi, said a UK-US trade deal would not get through Congress if Brexit undermined the Good Friday Agreement."

That's just an excuse by globalist Democrats to sabotage Brexit.

#1 | Posted by nullifidian at 2019-08-24 06:04 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

Trade deals are globalist.

#2 | Posted by bored at 2019-08-24 06:30 PM | Reply

FTA:

"Offering an example of a restriction, Mr Johnson said: "Melton Mowbray pork pies, which are sold in Thailand and in Iceland, are currently unable to enter the US market because of, I don't know, some sort of food and drug administration restriction."

Or, Mr. Johnson, who the ---- in America eats pork pies? Maybe that's the reason.

#3 | Posted by goatman at 2019-08-24 09:34 PM | Reply

Of course Boris, because the UK, stripped of the support of 450m other Europeans, will have the US exactly where it wants it, come trade talk time.

Pork pies are delicious.

#4 | Posted by Foreigner at 2019-08-24 10:46 PM | Reply

Pork pies are delicious.

donald will probably call them "Freedom Pies".

#5 | Posted by REDIAL at 2019-08-24 10:52 PM | Reply | Funny: 3

"Pork pies are delicious.
#4 | POSTED BY FOREIGNER "

You are right. They are. I get them when I"m in the UK and have even made them at home. But I don't think I've ever been to a restaurant that serves them or known anyone outside of my family who has eaten them.

#6 | Posted by goatman at 2019-08-24 10:54 PM | Reply

"Pork pies are delicious.
#4 | POSTED BY FOREIGNER "

I'm not real keen on the Ploughman that seems so popular in English pubs though. But I do like the Branston (or is it Branson) pickle that comes with it.

#7 | Posted by goatman at 2019-08-24 11:00 PM | Reply

#6 - They are definitely hard to find in the US, unless you have access to a specialist UK food store - and even then you take your chances on how fresh they are.

Every now and then I've stumbled on a British bakery; my current favorite is 4 & 20 Pasty Co.in Sarasota. Their traditional recipe products are pretty close to the real thing and they travel quite well.

I'm with you on the Ploughman's - never been a big favorite with me, although I can't fault your taste in pickle - with the "T".

#8 | Posted by Foreigner at 2019-08-24 11:35 PM | Reply

My wife and I like Shepard's Pie.

I like fish and chips - wife hates fish.

#9 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2019-08-24 11:40 PM | Reply

I grew up on shepherd's pie. My mom always made it with leftover potroast, but sometimes she'd get cheap and make it with hamburger because it was a cheap dish. I make it still with leftover pot roast. Another thing I do with leftover pot roast is beef hash with an egg or two on top. Yum!

#10 | Posted by goatman at 2019-08-24 11:44 PM | Reply

It's a great winter dish. I'm already looking forward to fall.

#11 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2019-08-24 11:53 PM | Reply

I wish Mr. Johnson had a different first name. Every time I see it, I think of the Who song and that ultra deep, almost sub-sonic bass line.

www.youtube.com

#12 | Posted by goatman at 2019-08-25 04:06 PM | Reply

#12 - he does.

His full name is Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson.

#13 | Posted by Foreigner at 2019-08-25 05:45 PM | Reply

"His full name is Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson.

#13 | POSTED BY FOREIGNER "

I didn't know that. It's a name more fitting for a spider, I think.

#14 | Posted by goatman at 2019-08-25 05:47 PM | Reply

Almost as good as "Emmanuel Jean-Michel Frdric Macron"

Must be a foreign thing.

#15 | Posted by nullifidian at 2019-08-25 05:53 PM | Reply

This battle between the worst hairdos on the planet is going to be epic.

#16 | Posted by Nixon at 2019-08-25 06:25 PM | Reply

"It's a name more fitting for a spider, I think.

#14 | POSTED BY GOATMAN AT 2019-08-25 05:47 PM "

Maybe.

What it certainly is not is a name for a man of the people.

#17 | Posted by Foreigner at 2019-08-25 07:19 PM | Reply

Here's another British product that is unable to enter the US market:

funny.picturepie.com

(Hope the URL doesn't get censored.)

#18 | Posted by sentinel at 2019-08-26 12:32 AM | Reply

"#18 | POSTED BY SENTINEL "

LOL. Too many jokes to make with that picture.

#19 | Posted by goatman at 2019-08-26 12:37 AM | Reply

Boris Johnson is another spoiled jerk who grew up with all the advantages Trump had. Same willingness to tear it all down because he'll be okay regardless. Screw the average person.

#20 | Posted by AMERICANUNITY at 2019-08-26 12:53 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

"He added: "The US is quite protectionist - the US have never done a trade deal the likes of which Mr Johnson is describing."

This is kind of funny considering Liberals love to bring up laws where EU countries can't import some of our goods because of varying concerns. Yet, when we do it all of a sudden it's an "obstacle" or we have to compromise.

Not to mention, this article is just business as usual so it actually offers nothing new. There are tariffs on everything when you discuss cross borders. That's why the taxis of EU (BMWs and Mercedes) are so high-priced in America, which is sad because until you get to the high end models, their cars are grocery getters with prices to match, but so many Americans think because they cost so much that they are something special. The same thing happens in UK with some American products. Supply can determine cost just as much as quality...or lack thereof.

This is why people who have been to other countries and spent time in them always say that Americans who haven't traveled have no business discussing foreign affairs. Your entire perspective is diminished.

#21 | Posted by humtake at 2019-08-26 12:03 PM | Reply

Pork pies are delicious.
#4 | POSTED BY FOREIGNER

They will have the US right where they want them.

You forget they have a secret weapon: Donald Trump.

Boris flatters Trump. Trump liked Brexit. Boris gets everything he wants from Trump.

#22 | Posted by Sycophant at 2019-08-26 03:43 PM | Reply

Boris Johnson is technically an American since he was born in Manhattan, not far from where Trump grew-up. He also has a very interesting ancestral background, with Turkish/Muslim blood on his father's side and Russian/Jewish blood on his mother's side, who was born into a family with a long American heritage. And they claim that one of his paternal ancestors was the bastard child of a descendant of King George II, which makes him a 6th cousin of the Queen. His family tree must look like a tangle wood.

OCU