Wednesday, August 28, 2019

Yesterday, while attempting to beat her own land speed record, the 52,000 horsepower jet-powered car driven by racer, fabricator, and television personality Jessi Combs crashed in the Alvord Desert in Oregon, killing her, as local news reports. Combs was 36 years old and held the title of "fastest woman on four wheels" after breaking 398 mph in that same North American Eagle Supersonic Speed Challenger in 2013.

Alternate links: Google News | Twitter

I can't remember the twitter tag..

Comments

I'm not sure what purpose jet-car-speed-records accomplish anymore; it's not 1953.

They're basically just expensive hobbies where spectators are hoping to see a spectacular crash.

In that regard, I guess she was successful.

#1 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2019-08-28 12:05 PM | Reply

I can't imagine what the attraction is to jet cars or why anyone would want to get in one.

#2 | Posted by goatman at 2019-08-28 01:19 PM | Reply

I can't imagine why you wouldn't want to drive one? You don't have to make record attempts. The Shockwave show is just straight down a runway, and he does around 20 a year.

#3 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2019-08-28 01:28 PM | Reply

When I first read this .... I thought it was ...

"Fattest women on four wheels dies" in jet car crash ...

#4 | Posted by AndreaMackris at 2019-08-28 01:35 PM | Reply

What was the "twitter tag"? How did you put the tweet in there?

#5 | Posted by AndreaMackris at 2019-08-28 01:36 PM | Reply

the twitter tag is simply pasting the url of the tweet between double brackets:

[[ link ]]

#6 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2019-08-28 01:41 PM | Reply

It only works in the second "Extra Text" box of Write a Blog Entry

#7 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2019-08-28 01:42 PM | Reply

#2 | POSTED BY GOATMAN

I live about an hour from the Bonneville salt flats. I've passed by them on work trips out to Nevada.

They're kinda cool to see, in a 'kids wowed by fire engine' sense. But then the questions always settle in:

Why? who cares? How much does that actually cost and who pays for it? Do you have a real job?

#8 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2019-08-28 01:46 PM | Reply

" Do you have a real job?

POSTED BY SHEEPLESCHISM AT 2019-08-28 01:46 PM "

Thankfuly not! Living off of pensions, Social Security, and VA disability

#9 | Posted by goatman at 2019-08-28 01:53 PM | Reply

#2 | Posted by goatman

To claim the land speed record goat.

#10 | Posted by Sniper at 2019-08-28 02:36 PM | Reply

God rest her soul. There is a special place for you in heaven, hero. And it has doughnuts for free.

#11 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2019-08-28 10:10 PM | Reply

*Heaven. Also *Doughnuts.

(the kind they serve in Heaven).

#12 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2019-08-28 10:14 PM | Reply

"There is a special place for you in heaven, hero. And it has doughnuts for free.

#11 | POSTED BY HELIUMRAT "

She's not a hero. SHe might have huge cojones, but she's not a hero.

#13 | Posted by goatman at 2019-08-28 10:15 PM | Reply