Wednesday, August 28, 2019

Boris Johnson is facing an anti-Brexit revolt after The Queen approved his request to suspend Parliament and stop Jeremy Corbyn's plan to block a No Deal exit from the EU.

Comments

For those of you who don't follow or understand the UK's Parliamentary Politics, this is a huge move by Johnson to break the logjam in Parliament that is holding up Brexit. This Parliament has been sitting for over 340 days, the longest in 400 years, and the Rebels have been blocking discussion of Brexit plans through parliamentary moves, so the Queen has agreed with Johnson's request to end the session.

If you think that some of the Asian Parliaments have contentious hearings, just wait to see what happens in the UK over the next 60 days.

#1 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2019-08-28 12:06 PM | Reply

If Boris can push through Brexit, he should get the Nobel Peace Prize.

Go Boris!

#2 | Posted by nullifidian at 2019-08-28 12:19 PM | Reply

I am always intrigued by how the British system works.

Most interesting to watch.

#3 | Posted by LampLighter at 2019-08-28 12:26 PM | Reply

@#2 ... If Boris can push through Brexit, he should get the Nobel Peace Prize. ...

According to Nobel's will, the Peace Prize shall be awarded to the person who in the preceding year "shall have done the most or the best work for fraternity between nations, for the abolition or reduction of standing armies and for the holding and promotion of peace congresses".

How would PM Johnson qualify?

#4 | Posted by LampLighter at 2019-08-28 12:45 PM | Reply

--How would PM Johnson qualify?

In msny more ways than Obama's participation trophy.

#5 | Posted by nullifidian at 2019-08-28 12:49 PM | Reply

@#5 ... In msny more ways than Obama's participation trophy. ...

Try again.

#6 | Posted by LampLighter at 2019-08-28 01:24 PM | Reply

He's one randy bugger!

#7 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2019-08-28 02:03 PM | Reply

#8 | Posted by danni at 2019-08-28 02:05 PM | Reply

@#8 ... the Queen should stay out of politics. ...

From what I've read, she did.

Is is not unusual for the Queen to grant this request. It would be unusual if she did not.

#9 | Posted by LampLighter at 2019-08-28 02:26 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

"Polls say more Brits oppose Brexit than support it, the Queen should stay out of politics. I would never want to live under the rule of a monarch.

#8 | POSTED BY DANNI AT 2019-08-28 02:05 PM | REPLY | FLAG"

As for living under a monarchy, with respect how would you know, since you clearly do not understand how it works.

#10 | Posted by Foreigner at 2019-08-28 06:23 PM | Reply

Is is not unusual for the Queen to grant this request.

It happens here a lot, other than the Governor General does it rather than Lillibet herself. Asking permission is just a formality, she never denies it.

#11 | Posted by REDIAL at 2019-08-28 08:41 PM | Reply

Boris Johnson, the UK's (brighter than) Trump, is another born-on-third-base idiot who won't have to suffer the consequences of his actions.

#12 | Posted by AMERICANUNITY at 2019-08-28 08:59 PM | Reply

"If Boris can push through Brexit, he should get the Nobel Peace Prize."

This is especially funny considering Nobel invented dynamite, and Brexit is a Russian plan to blow the EU to smithereens.

#13 | Posted by snoofy at 2019-08-28 09:05 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 3

I suspect the British people would rather be ruled by Scotland than allow Brexit.

#14 | Posted by Tor at 2019-08-28 09:16 PM | Reply

True, but when you have uninformed voters, ---- happens.

#15 | Posted by REDIAL at 2019-08-28 09:25 PM | Reply

--you have uninformed voters, ---- happens.

That's what smug, progressive elites always say when the unwashed masses don't do as their betters instruct them. The elites' support for democracy is conditional on the results.

#16 | Posted by nullifidian at 2019-08-28 09:31 PM | Reply

British people are now happy to do whats needed to prevent a Brexit.

#17 | Posted by Tor at 2019-08-28 09:32 PM | Reply

Applies equally to Brexit and the 2016 election.

"Adrian Vermeule

@Vermeullarmine

#18 | Posted by nullifidian at 2019-08-28 09:34 PM | Reply

"Brexit is a Russian plan to blow the EU to smithereens."
#13 | POSTED BY SNOOFY

No it's not. it's just more of the Russian boogeyman hoax of 2018.

Senate Democrats couldn't prove it at all.... It's conjecture, speculation, and innuendo.

#19 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2019-08-28 09:54 PM | Reply

"The fact is that things are not always as they appear. The Queen is the head of state in name only; she has no political power and with respect to agreeing to prorogue Parliament, she has no power to do anything other than accede. Her involvement was not political, it was simply procedural."

I understand well enough and I certainly don't need you to mansplain it to me. She would have served her own Royal Family by just staying completely out of the situation. Brexit is going to wreak havoc on thousands of people living and working in the UK. It is also going to affect thousands of Brits living abroad. They are leaving one of the largest economic groups in the world and just hoping for the best. It's stupid. Germany is laughing at them.

#20 | Posted by danni at 2019-08-28 09:57 PM | Reply

"The absolute inability of the urban liberal bourgeoisie to come to terms with any significant political defeat is the phenomenon I'm dying to see analyzed by serious scholars. (I believe the answer is ultimately theological)."

I'm simply dying to see some Republican honestly address our debt which was near zero when Ronald Reagan took office but which grew exponentially with every single Republican administraion and yes under Obama too because he had to save the economy Bush and the Republicans wrecked. They won't because they are dishonest and because there simply is not defense about that.
And I know many of these folks who will just talk over you if you bring it up. They have no facts that support their case, what they have is arrogance born out of privelege. It's like, "hey, I'm doing well so I must be smart." It's total garbage, being born on third base and thinking you hit a triple is all it is. And, yes, I know quite a few of these folks. Morons with money. I see their mismanagement of businesses all the time because they really aren't nearly as bright as they think they are.

#21 | Posted by danni at 2019-08-28 10:05 PM | Reply

#20 | POSTED BY DANNI

Which is none of your concern.

#22 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2019-08-28 10:06 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

On the contrary. It's the best thing they could do. The EU is disintegrating.

GB was being dominated by a group of unelected bureaucrats in Brussels.

Germany is laughing at them.

Germany and France are screwed.

#23 | Posted by Ray at 2019-08-28 10:09 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

"Germany and France are screwed."

Their citizens should probably buy gold, right Ray?

#24 | Posted by Danforth at 2019-08-28 10:14 PM | Reply

--because they really aren't nearly as bright as they think they are.

Even the geography is interesting. Only London voted against Brexit, while our coastal blue bubble went huge for Clinton.

#25 | Posted by nullifidian at 2019-08-28 10:20 PM | Reply

"Which is none of your concern."

you are full of crap. It has been of much concern to me several times in my life and it cost me dearly when these pompous asses thought they were tycoons.

#26 | Posted by danni at 2019-08-28 10:20 PM | Reply

"Yeah, well in both cases the "best and the brightest" corporate elites thought they had it in the bag, and then went into a state of shock the next day, and have spent every minute since trying to overturn the vote of the people."

And "the people" want a revote. They should be ignored? I think the Brexit leaders are going to pay a big price for ignoring the people on this. Rightly so. Boris Johnson is going to have a short term as PM.

#27 | Posted by danni at 2019-08-28 10:23 PM | Reply

How bad is it going to be for Johnson? Northern Ireland is starting to talk loudly about rejoining the Republic of Ireland and thus remaining in the EU.

#28 | Posted by danni at 2019-08-28 10:24 PM | Reply

^#20 - "I understand well enough and I certainly don't need you to mansplain it to me. She would have served her own Royal Family by just staying completely out of the situation. "

I obviously did not mansplain clearly enough for you or you would not have suggested she could have stayed out of the situation. This is not an option for the Queen.

The UK does not have a written constitution, so procedure and precedent dictate how things are done. Procedure dictates that members of the Privy Council, representing the government, meet with the Queen and advise her, in this particular situation, that Parliament should be prorogued for an extended period. Precedent dictates that the Queen must accept the advice of the Privy Council and make the necessary proclamations. The Queen's role is not up for discussion, whether she likes what is being done or not.

I seriously doubt that the Queen supports Brexit in any form, because one of the most sacred responsibilities of the crown is to maintain the integrity of the union - i.e. not allow the 4 countries making up the UK to split up. Scotland will be gone in double quick time of Johnson gets his way and Northern Ireland somewhat later. This would be absolute sacrilege to the Queen.

More mansplaining to follow if required.

#29 | Posted by Foreigner at 2019-08-28 10:27 PM | Reply

#26 | POSTED BY DANNI

Florida Grandmother Says No on Brexit; Demands Revote

#30 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2019-08-28 10:29 PM | Reply | Funny: 2

Scotland too is not supportive of Brexit. We could be witnessing the total collapse of the UK, with England and Wales ending up alone in the world while the Irish Republic and Scotland go with EU and keep markets for their agricultural products which they will lose under Brexit. Isolationists here in the U.S., over in the U.K. are going to create huge difficulties for farmers and manufacturers as well. Mini Cooper is a German car built in the U.K., will it continue to be? Most likely BMW will just move the factories back to Germany.

#31 | Posted by danni at 2019-08-28 10:36 PM | Reply

"Brexit is the single most stupid act of self-destruction ever as far as I am concerned. Nothing good can come of it from the UK's perspective.
More mansplaining to follow if required."

Amazingly, I agree with you but I can figure it out all by myself.

"Florida Grandmother Says No on Brexit; Demands Revote"

She is joined by the majority of the people in the UK, alas the reason to shut down Parliament so they can't pressure the members to represent the people.

#32 | Posted by danni at 2019-08-28 10:38 PM | Reply

Sheeple is under the stupid impression that our intelligence lessens when we become grandparents, I've actually found the opposite to be true. Grandchildren are our reward for living a long time and they make us very happy.

#33 | Posted by danni at 2019-08-28 10:40 PM | Reply

"He's one randy bugger!"

8-o

Are we allowed to say that here?

#34 | Posted by sentinel at 2019-08-28 11:13 PM | Reply

Danni is so clueless it would be cute if it wasn't so fccking depressing.

#35 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2019-08-29 12:30 AM | Reply

Mini Cooper is a BMW.

Yeah, mine is a POS.

#36 | Posted by bruceaz at 2019-08-29 12:57 AM | Reply

"Mini Cooper is a BMW."

Mini Cooper is a company owned by BMW, when I had mine I had to take it to the BMW dealer for service. When my maintenance plan ran out the service advisor showed me how much it would cost to maintain without the contract I immediately sold it. Got a Toyota Corolla a few years back and have had zero problems with it. I do miss my Mini though but it would have put me in the poor house to maintain it.

#37 | Posted by danni at 2019-08-29 08:05 AM | Reply

Heard this morning that there is strong opposition to the shut down of Parliament even from withing Boris Johnson's own party. This isn't over yet.

#38 | Posted by danni at 2019-08-29 08:07 AM | Reply

It's officially over October 31. There is no evidence to suggest anything but a No Deal Brexit will happen.

#39 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2019-08-29 08:56 AM | Reply

#40 | Posted by horstngraben at 2019-08-29 11:52 PM | Reply

"Brexit is a Russian plan to blow the EU to smithereens."
#13 | POSTED BY SNOOFY
No it's not. it's just more of the Russian boogeyman hoax of 2018.
#19 | POSTED BY SHEEPLESCHISM

Are you trying to say...
1. Russia didn't hack the DNC?
2. Russia didn't release emails from the DNC to help Trump?
3. Russia didn't have troll farms mostly favoring Trump?
4. Russia didn't hack election registries?
5. Russia wasn't working with Cambridge Analytica data illegally?
6. Russia held back information it had on the RNC to avoid hurting Trump?
7. Russia didn't hack voter information and potentially voter systems in Florida?

Seriously, do enlighten us. Is it a hoax or did Russia illegally support Trump in 2016?

#41 | Posted by Sycophant at 2019-08-30 01:05 PM | Reply

#39 | POSTED BY SITZKRIEG

Britain will enjoy a nice long recession.

#42 | Posted by Sycophant at 2019-08-30 01:06 PM | Reply

#41 | POSTED BY SYCOPHANT

1) Apparently someone (who? name them) logged in, not hacked
2) Wikileaks published damaging emails of DNC corruption, the corruption which you ignore
3) Goofy Derp Facebook ads repeating memes that Americans were already saying?
4) The Russian Hackers Who Didn't Hack Anything -
www.nationalreview.com
5) Did Trump collude? Nope.
6) See #5
7) Potentially? LOL

Your #hysteria is noted. All because SHE lost an election that was supposed to be HERS.

The exaggerated chaos articles about shadows were weaponized into monsters - all intended as retribution to hamstring the hated Trump.

If there was any conspiracy, it was between the DNC, Obama admin, their loyalists, and the Dem poodle dog media.

#43 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2019-08-30 01:25 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

"Danni - your "mansplaining" comment is offensive. Do you honestly believe that every time a man disagrees with you and tries to explain why that he is "mansplaining"?"

If we were discussing something about which I have very little information I don't mine having anyone explain it to me but I know the basics of the British system of government and your comments felt condescending and I don't like that. Didn't mean to be offensive though and I apologize, It was also, I thought, a slightly humorous way to express myself. I never even used that term before and probably won't again.

#44 | Posted by danni at 2019-08-30 01:58 PM | Reply

#44 - I think you have 2 posters mixed up.

You accused me of mansplaining; it was Horstngraben who found it offensive.

Just clarifying, not mansplaining.

#45 | Posted by Foreigner at 2019-08-30 02:43 PM | Reply

If she has no power, how come she got away with sacking the Australian Prime Minister in 1975?

#46 | Posted by Sord at 2019-08-30 09:07 PM | Reply

Isn't Australia still subject. like Redial?

#47 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2019-08-30 09:13 PM | Reply

...how come she got away with sacking the Australian Prime Minister in 1975?

Same reason donald is president. Dem's da rules.

#48 | Posted by REDIAL at 2019-08-30 09:19 PM | Reply