Thursday, August 29, 2019

A joint raid between the FBI, the IRS and the Department of Labor's Office of Inspector General, the FBI reported, and was among several being conducted across the country on Wednesday.

Alternate links: Google News | Twitter

UAW Statement: The UAW and President Gary Jones have always fully cooperated with the government investigators in this matter. As the leader of the UAW, Pres. Jones is determined to uncover and address any and all wrongdoing, wherever it might lead. There was absolutely no need for search warrants to be used by the government today - the UAW has voluntarily responded to every request the government has made throughout the course of its investigation, produced literally hundreds of thousands of documents and other materials to the government, and most importantly, when wrongdoing has been discovered, we have taken strong action to address it. The UAW will continue to cooperate with the government in its investigation, as we have been doing throughout.

Trust in UAW leadership is never more important than during the bargaining process, when profit-laden auto companies stand to benefit from media leaks, false assumptions, and political grandstanding. The sole focus of President Jones and his team will be winning at the bargaining table for our members.

Comments

The sole focus of President Jones and his team will be winning at the bargaining table for our members trying to stay out of Federal prison for embezzlement and corruption charges.

Suggested edits to reflect current facts.

#1 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2019-08-29 10:52 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Union corruption? Why, I never...

#2 | Posted by nullifidian at 2019-08-29 10:55 AM | Reply

It's just sad how the unions and urban democrats destroy themselves with corruption, embezzlement, grifting, and sheer incompetency. The very institutions that could strengthen and build up the poor, working, and middle class, are the very people who bring it down with greed.

every single time, it never fails.

#3 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2019-08-29 11:34 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Totally Exonerated!

#4 | Posted by bored at 2019-08-29 11:41 AM | Reply | Funny: 5

"A TOTAL WITCH HUNT!"

"So, I just heard that they broke into the office of a good man, and it's a disgraceful situation," "It's a total witch hunt. I've been saying it for a long time. I've wanted to keep it down."

"They only keep looking at us. So they find no collusion, and then they go from there and they say, Well, let's keep going,' and they raid an office of a (UAW President) early in the morning, and I think it's a disgrace,"

#5 | Posted by donnerboy at 2019-08-29 12:17 PM | Reply

--they raid an office of a (UAW President) early in the morning, and I think it's a disgrace,"

Did they bring CNN camera crews along?

Sincerely,
Paul Manafort

#6 | Posted by nullifidian at 2019-08-29 12:22 PM | Reply

Union corruption? Why, I never...

#2 | Posted by nullifidian

Trump's puppet in the justice department shredding the constitution and going after trump's political enemies? Well I never...

#7 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2019-08-29 01:26 PM | Reply

every single time, it never fails.

#3 | Posted by SheepleSchism

Sheep4trump is anti union now.

How many progressive posts have you written today sheep? Should we start counting again?

#8 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2019-08-29 01:28 PM | Reply

#7 | POSTED BY SPEAKSOFTLY

What evidence do you have that this is political retribution?

#9 | Posted by JeffJ at 2019-08-29 01:37 PM | Reply

What evidence do you have that this is political retribution?

#9 | Posted by JeffJ

Barr in congress refusing to answer if trump had ever told him to investigate anyone. Seems like that would be a simple "NO" if the answer was no. Instead he started trying to debate the meaning of the words "instruct" or "suggest".

#10 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2019-08-29 01:39 PM | Reply

Sheep4trump is anti union now.

#8 | POSTED BY SPEAKSOFTLY

Anti-corruption and anti-embezzlement = anti Union?

Think about what you are actually saying here.

#11 | Posted by JeffJ at 2019-08-29 01:40 PM | Reply

#10 OK. Let's see how this all shakes out. I'll reserve judgement, one way or another until then.

#12 | Posted by JeffJ at 2019-08-29 01:41 PM | Reply

#8 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2019-08-29 01:28 PM

#3 seems pretty progressive.
SheepleSchism does not seem anti-union, SheepleSchism seems anti-corruption in the union.
Stop being anti-truthful.

#13 | Posted by Avigdore at 2019-08-29 01:44 PM | Reply

#12 | Posted by JeffJ

Still giving the benefit of the doubt to the con man who "never paid stormy daniels" and "had no business deals in russia" ay jeff?

#14 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2019-08-29 02:02 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Stop being anti-truthful.

#13 | Posted by Avigdore

Then sheep4trump would occasionally mention the benefit of unions, like bernie does. Instead of only spouting republican talking points about them like trump does.

#15 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2019-08-29 02:03 PM | Reply

#15 Posted By HystericalScreecher

The benefit of a union is collective bargaining and unity in numbers, which I support. I was a member of CWA, part of AFL-CIO for 13 years when I worked for the phone company. I walked the picket line in 2 strikes.

What I didn't like about the union was paying for collective bargaining then giving back everything that was agreed upon in 70's and 80's. I also didn't like the fact that the union seemed to be powerless to prevent members from being replaced by contractors (scabs).

I absolutely abhor the fact that in larger unions, such as the UAW, where tens of millions in dues are going into a coffer, and union leadership has little to no accountability and oversight for those funds, and they end up in the pockets of presidents and former presidents.

Union corruption hurts all unions by tearing down trust, integrity, wage equality, and good jobs. These types of scandals help to chip away at all employee unions, and that's not a good thing for the working and middle class.

It helps to decimate and destroy the middle class. This is part of the reason unions are shrinking.

#16 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2019-08-29 02:27 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 3

#15 | POSTED BY SPEAKSOFTLY

Also...you're an incoherent emotional basketcase.

#17 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2019-08-29 02:29 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

#14 | POSTED BY SPEAKSOFTLY

How is that Russian conspiracy thingy working out for ya?

#18 | Posted by JeffJ at 2019-08-29 02:34 PM | Reply | Funny: 2

"How is that Russian conspiracy thingy working out for ya"

Better than the tax cuts, trade wars, and the exploding deficit is working out for you.

HAHA

#19 | Posted by ChiefTutMoses at 2019-08-29 02:44 PM | Reply

"Let's see how this all shakes out. I'll reserve judgement, one way or another until then."

when jeffy says, "I'll reserve judgement" and "Let's see how this all shakes out" what he really is saying that he is waiting for a National Review Opinion Piece he can copy/paste as "proof" of something

#20 | Posted by ChiefTutMoses at 2019-08-29 02:47 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Government used search warrant because they left their Pinkerton badges at home.

#21 | Posted by LesWit at 2019-08-29 02:55 PM | Reply

Also...you're an incoherent emotional basketcase.

#17 | Posted by SheepleSchism

Yes, trump supporting sanders progressive. Please lecture us about "incoherence".

#22 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2019-08-29 03:01 PM | Reply

How is that Russian conspiracy thingy working out for ya?

#18 | Posted by JeffJ

Why, don't you watch real news? Turned out trump took help from the russians to get elected, didn't tell law enforcement about russian attacks, lied to cover it up, obstructed justice 10 times, and the republican party is a bunch of traitors for not even caring that their leader is a crook.

So it worked out pretty much as I predicted.

#23 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2019-08-29 03:03 PM | Reply

Turned out trump took help from the russians to get elected, didn't tell law enforcement about russian attacks, lied to cover it up..

#23 | POSTED BY SPEAKSOFTLY

"We did not find that the Trump campaign, or anyone associated with it, conspired or coordinated with the Russian government in these efforts, despite multiple efforts from Russian-affiliated individuals to assist the Trump campaign."

-Mueller Report.

#24 | Posted by JeffJ at 2019-08-29 03:15 PM | Reply

-Mueller Report.

#24 | Posted by JeffJ

That statement depends on a technical legal definition of the words "conspired or coordinated".

Sending polling data to putin would meet that definition in most people's minds.

Where's your defense of the obstruction?

#25 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2019-08-29 03:22 PM | Reply

Where's your defense of the obstruction?

#25 | POSTED BY SPEAKSOFTLY

I don't have a defense of attempted obstruction.

#26 | Posted by JeffJ at 2019-08-29 04:07 PM | Reply

And to be clear, from a statute standpoint attempted obstruction is still obstruction.

#27 | Posted by JeffJ at 2019-08-29 04:08 PM | Reply

I don't have a defense of attempted obstruction.

#26 | Posted by JeffJ

Then your post about "that russian conspiracy thingy" sure is strange.

What was the obstruction related to? His hair transplant?

#28 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2019-08-29 04:10 PM | Reply

Then your post about "that russian conspiracy thingy" sure is strange

Not at all. There were 2 volumes of the Mueller report. My comment was addressed solely at the findings of Volume I, which was why the whole Special Counsel was put together in the first place.

#29 | Posted by JeffJ at 2019-08-29 04:19 PM | Reply

My comment was addressed solely at the findings of Volume I

#29 | Posted by JeffJ

Exactly. Because that's the part that helps you sell the false narrative that trump was innocent and dems are crazy.

#30 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2019-08-29 05:43 PM | Reply

You love putting words in people's mouths, don't you?

I didn't claim Trump was innocent (as it pertains to obstruction) and I didn't claim Dems are crazy.

It's ok to just acknowledge a point and move on, ya know.

#31 | Posted by JeffJ at 2019-08-29 05:53 PM | Reply

"#30
You love putting words in people's mouths, don't you?
It's ok to just acknowledge a point and move on, ya know.

#31 | POSTED BY JEFFJ AT 2019-08-29 05:53 PM "

I read this post first before seeing 30. Based on actions described, I would have bet $100 on who posted 30 had there been a bookie in the room.

I would have won.

#32 | Posted by goatman at 2019-08-29 06:17 PM | Reply

Fake goatman is making bets with the imaginary people who live between his ears. And telling us how he won

This lame version of goat is the internet representation of that sketchy looking person talking to themselves out in front of the 7-11

#33 | Posted by Chieftutmoses at 2019-08-29 06:32 PM | Reply

#31 | Posted by JeffJ

So perhaps you could explain what you mean by "russian conspiracy thingy" because if i weren't informed, that sounds like the whole russiagate scandal turned out to be nothing more than a wacky conspiracy theory.
But you'd never try to imply that because you know better right jeffy?

#34 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2019-08-29 06:33 PM | Reply

"And telling us how he won"

No, I said I would have won. Reading and reading comprehension are fundamental, Big Chief.

#35 | Posted by goatman at 2019-08-29 06:34 PM | Reply

#35 | Posted by goatman

No idea what yall are even arguing about, but it's hilarious to know that anyone can jump in on any random goatman debate at any point and he'll be whining about the meaning of words and hiding behind semantics.

#36 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2019-08-29 06:53 PM | Reply

#36 | POSTED BY SPEAKSOFTLY "

Why does my ability to pick and choose my words carefully enough to say precisely what I mean upset you so? Or is it the fact I don't allow people to twist my words into what they want them to be that gets under your skin?

#37 | Posted by goatman at 2019-08-29 06:55 PM | Reply

#37 | Posted by goatman

Upset? I said it was hilarious. It was frustrating at first, now it's just pathetic. You do the exact same thing in every argument. Just ignore the larger point and focus on the minutia of what vocabulary words were chosen, which is just your way of hiding from a debate you can't win.

Enter ONE debate where you dont start arguing about semantics and see how it goes. I dont think you can do it. I think that's your only trick. (besides tu quoque arguments but we've covered that before)

#38 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2019-08-29 07:15 PM | Reply

I already did explain it. My comment was addressed exclusively to Volume I.

You, on the other hand have already decided raiding this guy's personal effects has nothing to do with anything other than Trump directing this as political vendetta. And of course your evidence is, because Trump.

You had egg all over your face when you kept chiding me for waiting for the Mueller report before rendering judgement regarding collusion. That worked out very badly for you so now you just lash out.

As it pertains to your allegation here, show me something more than because Trunp.

#39 | Posted by JeffJ at 2019-08-29 07:47 PM | Reply

#39 | Posted by JeffJ

What egg is on my face? Every step of the way you said dems were overreacting, hysterical, nothingburger etc. Then it turns out trump took help from the russians, hid business deals in russia, lied about it, and obstructed justice, and you think I look like the fool? You've been proven wrong time and time again and still to this day are trying to imply that the investigation found nothing. You are either stupid or smart but dishonest.

Barr has proved that he's a trump lackey who will bend the law to protect trump and go after his enemies. Anything that comes out of the justice dept after barr took over is therefore suspect. Barr decided allying with trump was worth trashing his credibility.

#40 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2019-08-29 08:10 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Posted by SheepleSchism at 2019-08-29 02:27 PM | Reply

They dont have accountants or do audits?
I always thought spending matters needed the approval of the membership?
Or are you an expert who never attended his own local union meetings?
I do know that every year I get a large financial audit of Local 488's finances every year in the mail and we have a meeting where we question the elected leadership on it.I know that even spendin 20 bucks on a trophy for a kids team or a charitable donation must be passed before a meeting of the local union membership.Once a year all the locals get together sending delegates to the International convention where we do it at again at the national/international level.

#41 | Posted by Scotty at 2019-08-29 08:26 PM | Reply

#41 | POSTED BY SCOTTY

At the local level, you're primarily dealing with grievances and disciplinary action. Local meetings consist of drinking beer, shooting the ----, whining, and then listening to a 5-minute speech. Most of this is handled by the stewards, and you get to see the local president about once or twice a year.

The top officers go to convention, usually held in some swank hotel in Las Vegas, San Fran, Miami, New Orleans or wherever. It's 4 days of drinking, swimming in the pool, gambling, eating, and 10 minutes of meetings.

National team negotiates contracts every 3-7 years. You NEVER meet national leadership. Ever.

They're just photos on the Dude Wall.

#42 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2019-08-29 08:37 PM | Reply

Between 1992 and 2005, I was a member of CWA. We had 2 strikes where I walked on the picket line. In BOTH strikes, it wasn't that we were striking to GET something. We were striking because the company was trying to strip something away.

In BOTH strikes, we negotiated to give away half or more of what was originally agreed upon.

In one of the strikes, we walked for 3 weeks, then we worked for 9 months without a contract. We gained NOTHING.

#43 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2019-08-29 08:41 PM | Reply

You ignored the finanial audits.

#44 | Posted by Scotty at 2019-08-29 08:50 PM | Reply

What local of CWA is your anecdote referring to?

#45 | Posted by Scotty at 2019-08-29 08:53 PM | Reply

You ignored the finanial audits.
#44 | POSTED BY SCOTTY

You believe they contained incriminating data? And that they handed them out at meetings? LOL

I was originally in local 2252, then 2222 when I transferred out to Winchester.

My Dad was president of local 2205 in Newport News during the 80's. Everything they gained back then is gone.

#46 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2019-08-29 09:08 PM | Reply

However, the negotiating and strikes were CWA wide, usually Virginia, W Va, and sometimes MD and DC.

#47 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2019-08-29 09:10 PM | Reply

#39 | Posted by JeffJ

You obviously are talking out of your hiney again or basement if you prefer.

#48 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2019-08-29 09:46 PM | Reply

What egg is on my face?

That Team Trump colluded and conspired with the Russian government to corrupt our '16 election. That egg is still on your face because you refuse to acknowledge what the Mueller report lays bare on that.

All I said was, wait for the report. As it turns out the report, and Mueller's subsequent testimony, proved what you just described. I chose to be cautious and wait it all out, before jumping to conclusions. You were convinced of this, sans any meaningful evidence, when this whole thing was in utero.

Which is a fraction of the "help" the Clinton campaign received "from the russians (sic)" via the Steele dossier. I can only quote the summary of Volume I so many times. It's the most definitive document we have on this. If you choose to contradict it, over and over again, then the discussion becomes circular. I don't do circular discussions for very long and this one has exceeded its shelf-life.

#40 | POSTED BY SPEAKSOFTLY

Whatever. If that's how everything shakes down, I'll be right there with you. As of now, you can't substantiate ----, and you know it. Put up or shut up. Or at least wait until you have something beyond a combination of: because Trump and you self-perceive yourself to be the smartest person of all time.

#49 | Posted by JeffJ at 2019-08-29 11:19 PM | Reply

Laura,

You've become a tire-fire of a poster on this site.

It doesn't matter who you are responding to or what you are posting the lack of any meaningful substance is astounding.

I genuinely hope you are at peace with yourself now that you've come out regarding your gender. I wish you nothing but the best on that front.

Having said that, Larry debated. Larry researched and cited primary sources and used those as a basis for arguments.

It's been well over a year since I've seen Laura do anything even remotely close to that.

And hey, if it was just you being dismissive of me personally because you wrongly perceive me as a horrible person because I am not down with 100% of trans-activism. That would be one thing. But you haven't actually engaged in any kind of meaningful debate with anyone on this site in a LONG time.

I miss that and I don't think coming out of the closet regarding your gender is the cause. I say this because when you first came out about this on this site, inspired by Caitlin Jenner, you actually upped your game for a short period of time.

And then your game dropped off a cliff.

It's very disappointing.

#50 | Posted by JeffJ at 2019-08-29 11:28 PM | Reply

I say we follow the Trump Mandate!

He gets a Union member to investigate him.
He gets to decide when to end the investigation.
He gets every opportunity to destroy evidence.
He gets to dangle pardons to anyone who might testify against him.
He cannot be held accountable if anyone else did anything wrong.
The investigation cannot under any circumstances decide he committed a crime and recommend filing of charges.
His Union friend gets to decide how to summarize the report months before it gets released.
Anyone in the investigation who doesn't like him must be fired immediately.
Half the report cannot be released.
Only the Union gets to decide if he should be charged.
Any conversations with him in any way involving the alleged crimes are privileged and off limits.
He cannot be interviewed by the investigation.
His finances are off limits.
The investigation must take several years.

And since the Report cannot legally conclude he committed a crime or recommend charging him, he is automatically deemed Innocent at the conclusion.

#51 | Posted by Sycophant at 2019-08-30 01:31 PM | Reply