Wednesday, September 04, 2019

Goatman: If the left knuckle has a tattoo reading "hate" and the right knuckle says "love", then the forehead really should say "impulsive and reckless". People who have a visible tattoo are more likely to act in haste and to fail to think through the consequences of their actions, according to a study of more than 1,000 people.

Alternate links: Google News | Twitter

Sorry, the story melts into a paywall after a few paragraphs, but enough is there to get the gist of the story

Comments

Small tasteful tattoos aren't that big of an issue for me.

What grosses me out is the rise of the "sleeve".

Are tribal tats still a thing? I remember when I turned 18 all the cool kids got tribal or barb wire tattoos.

#1 | Posted by jpw at 2019-09-04 09:20 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Duh!

add a splash of alcohol.

wala!

#2 | Posted by fresno500 at 2019-09-04 09:48 AM | Reply

I hate all tattoos, period. My daughter has a small boat tattoo on her ankle honoring her grandfather which I can live with. As far as the hate and love thing, great movie, great role for Mitchum, but Jesus, get over it.

#3 | Posted by CrisisStills at 2019-09-04 11:29 AM | Reply

Well, piercings are the way to go IMO as they are not a permanent commitment.

#4 | Posted by MSgt at 2019-09-04 11:30 AM | Reply

I hate to admit it but I'm not a fan of tatoos....and I struggle with them when interviewing candidates.

Small, inconspicuous, and tasteful....I can live with.

#5 | Posted by eberly at 2019-09-04 11:42 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

A long time ago, almost like I dreamed the entire thing, I was in the USAF in Thailand at U-Tapao RTNB. One night, when I was really, really drunk off base, I decided I wanted a tattoo. One of my friends yanked me out of the shop and told me, "You wife would kill you!" I still have yet to get any ink.

#6 | Posted by john47 at 2019-09-04 11:46 AM | Reply

I got a tattoo at age 62. It is where my toes used to be and depicts the five little piggies. So when people ask what happened to my toes, I point to the tattoo and say, "well, the first one went to market. The second one stayed home..."

My podiatrist loves it so much that every time I see him, he has his staff and residents come in and see it. He teaches podiatry at the University hospital and asked my permission for a picture of it to add as injected humor in his power point presentations. I told him he could. He later told me that slide in the PP presentation has his students cracked up for a couple of minutes every time.

#7 | Posted by goatman at 2019-09-04 11:54 AM | Reply

I see tatoos as a form of peacocking, even when ascertained while properly trousered, its a subconscious need, to fit in and to be different enough.

I don't see any correlation to an individual being "impulsive or reckless", more like want to be noticed sexually, and to show status.

What grosses me out is the rise of the "sleeve".

The "sleeve" IMO happens because of the "low" that occurred after the previous tatoo's newness/hype wears thin.

So get an "addition" and you get attention again or "likes" as it were. Eventually you have the whole "sleeve", whole body, cats, dogs ....

The whole art form, and its usage, is evolution in realtime, I find it fascinating.

#8 | Posted by AndreaMackris at 2019-09-04 12:03 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

I like humorous tattoos. That is why I finally got the one on my foot.

If I lose a foot or leg to my diabetes, I already have my next tattoo figured out. It will be on the back of the existing leg with an arrow pointing to the missing leg and captioned, "One foot in the grave".

My aforementioned podiatrist heartily approves. But he emphasized he doesn't want to be cutting off my foot.

#9 | Posted by goatman at 2019-09-04 12:11 PM | Reply

#8 The peacock analogy is perfect.

#10 | Posted by goatman at 2019-09-04 12:11 PM | Reply

Almost everyone who gets a tattoo eventually regrets it.

#11 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2019-09-04 12:58 PM | Reply

Sort of needed this as I've been considering a design for a couple years.. normals wouldn't be able to see it though

#12 | Posted by GOnoles92 at 2019-09-04 02:56 PM | Reply

Still considering it though

#13 | Posted by GOnoles92 at 2019-09-04 02:57 PM | Reply

Interesting.

I'm a Lieutenant Colonel in the AF, and I have a half sleeve on one side, quarter (ish) on the other arm.

I've never come across a SOF guy that didn't have a bunch of tattoos.

Maybe it's a sign of recklessness and impulsiveness, but if so, I can't say that's a bad thing when it comes to getting things done.

#14 | Posted by madbomber at 2019-09-04 03:31 PM | Reply

14 | POSTED BY MADBOMBER

(Ret)?
Seems like a pattern for sure, I see guys with SF scrolls at the gym almost daily
Also, welcome back. Long time no see on these boards.

#15 | Posted by GOnoles92 at 2019-09-04 03:34 PM | Reply

Tattoos are idiotic.

Maybe they were cool back when only sailors, bikers, and rock stars had them. But then every moron started getting them which made everyone else start getting them out of fear of not being in on the trend.

Now, tattoos simply scream: "I'm an unoriginal lemming who doesn't think for myself or plan for the future."

And nothing is worse than tattoos on a beautiful woman. It's like putting bumpers stickers on a ferrari. But beautiful women are often the most insecure people and therefore the most likely to chase trends.

Tattoos are so common now that someone WITHOUT any tattoos is more distinctive and interesting than someone WITH tattoos.

#16 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2019-09-04 04:02 PM | Reply

#14 | Posted by madbomber

Really, so you'd want to live in a house that was built by reckless impulsive construction workers?

#17 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2019-09-04 04:03 PM | Reply

#9 | Posted by goatman

So stop eating sugar. Dont you have any self discipline?

#18 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2019-09-04 04:04 PM | Reply

"So stop eating sugar. Dont you have any self discipline?

POSTED BY SPEAKSOFTLY "

???

I don't eat sugar -- or excessive carbs. What made you think I did?

What an odd reply to my post.

#19 | Posted by goatman at 2019-09-04 04:06 PM | Reply

"Dont you have any self discipline?

POSTED BY SPEAKSOFTLY "

Apparently you don't have enough discipline to control your GDS.

#20 | Posted by goatman at 2019-09-04 04:07 PM | Reply

The most annoying feature ever is a backup beeper INSIDE the car. That you cannot disable.
The person that thought that up needs to be tarred and feathered and run out of town on a rail. Or made to listen to Nickleback for 24 hours straight.

POSTED BY DONNERBOY AT 2019-09-04 12:34 PM | REPLY

As a tattooed and pierced(ears and tongue) I say rubbish. We share our stories on our skin. Think of it as a living diary of our innermost thoughts and feelings.

#21 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2019-09-04 04:24 PM | Reply

Oh dear God. forget I EVER posted the above post.

#22 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2019-09-04 04:30 PM | Reply

#23 | Posted by BruceBanner at 2019-09-04 04:40 PM | Reply

#21 | POSTED BY LAURAMOHR AT 2019-09-04 04:24 PM

So that's why you have JeffJ's face tatooed on your back...

#24 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2019-09-04 05:03 PM | Reply

You have the location wrong. It's placed so that the sphincter makes his lips.

#25 | Posted by BruceBanner at 2019-09-04 05:04 PM | Reply

Ohh, you wanted inches? I pegged you as a metric kind of guy, my bad.

-Bruce's tatoo artist

#26 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2019-09-04 05:05 PM | Reply

On the subject of dick tattoos.

There was a guy on my ship in the Navy who had a spider web tattooed across his chest with a single strand going down the middle to a spider that was tattooed on the head of his dick. I don't know how someone could get that tattooed without passing out from pain

#27 | Posted by goatman at 2019-09-04 05:15 PM | Reply

"The only tattoo I have is a 12-inch ruler tattooed along my member, in 1:1 scale. So far, no complaints."

Of course not......middle schools and roadside rest stops probably wouldn't generate a lot of complaints.

#28 | Posted by eberly at 2019-09-04 05:18 PM | Reply | Funny: 2

#21 | Posted by LauraMohr

The only story i see in a tattoo is "Once upon a time, I was unoriginal enough to want to be like everyone else, and I was dumb enough to think my current aesthetic choices would never change for the rest of my life."

#29 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2019-09-04 05:54 PM | Reply

POSTED BY SPEAKSOFTLY AT 2019-09-04 05:54 PM | REPLY

Pfffffffffffffffffffffffttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt

#30 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2019-09-04 06:19 PM | Reply

#28 | POSTED BY EBERLY AT 2019-09-04 05:18 PM | REPLY

I defer to your expertise.

#31 | Posted by BruceBanner at 2019-09-04 08:05 PM | Reply | Funny: 2

On some people, I dig their art choices. Especially if they spent money on them, got them from quality artists in different countries to reflect their travels: think classic anericana, with some Japanese art, Hawaiian art, Thai art, etc, to reflect their deployments. There's a Chief I know who has some really cool sleeves that are unique to him and can't be emulated by others.

It's definitely a "get what you pay for," thing and maybe it's a generational thing.

#32 | Posted by GOnoles92 at 2019-09-04 08:44 PM | Reply

There is a list of classic navy tattoos, like the pig and rooster and sparrows which mean something, but then again I had a hipster ex many years ago who had sparrows on her hip without logging the required nautical miles underway to rate such ink, lol.

#33 | Posted by GOnoles92 at 2019-09-04 08:46 PM | Reply

#34 | Posted by docnjo at 2019-09-04 09:05 PM | Reply

#34 gangbangers get them too

#35 | Posted by bruceaz at 2019-09-04 09:19 PM | Reply

I only have one, I have a "meat tag" under my left arm. Ask soldiers why we get them. #34 | POSTED BY DOCNJO

Similar to why marines have dog tags in a boot as well as around their neck. Did you have a med bracelet too? Covers all the bases/extremities

#36 | Posted by GOnoles92 at 2019-09-04 09:21 PM | Reply

I tattooed chief's mom last night.

#37 | Posted by 101Chairborne at 2019-09-04 09:27 PM | Reply | Funny: 2

I have a "meat tag" under my left arm. Ask soldiers why we get them.

#34 | POSTED BY DOCNJO AT 2019-09-04 09:05 PM | REPLY | FLAG:

I hear those are popular with the lads down in San Francisco. Anything that let's them use the word "meat" is, really.

#38 | Posted by BruceBanner at 2019-09-04 10:03 PM | Reply

Homophobia noted, metricboy.

#39 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2019-09-04 10:12 PM | Reply

#39 I don't care that you're gay. Go be as gay as you can. Live your life. Love your man.

#40 | Posted by BruceBanner at 2019-09-04 10:19 PM | Reply

I don't date anyone with tattoos. I dated one woman with a tongue piercing. I asked her what was it for? She gave me a BJ . Nothing different than a regular BJ. But know I know if I see a tongue piecing in a woman's tongue, she likes oral sex THAT much. It may not be true, but that's what I see, and I'm going to treat you like a THOT. No classy woman has tats or piercings. If I show up at a conference with her in tow, I don't have t explain her body art to anyone. It's embarrassing.

#41 | Posted by Goose_Boils at 2019-09-05 12:50 AM | Reply

#41 you never got a --------.

#42 | Posted by bruceaz at 2019-09-05 01:12 AM | Reply

Most tattoos look like crap. Every once in a blue moon I'll see a real nice one that is a piece of art, but that's rare.

#43 | Posted by aborted_monson at 2019-09-05 05:08 AM | Reply

.... ummm it used to be cool but nowadays everyone has one.... even Grandma...

Coolness factor left in the 80's...

What your seeing is corporate artwork... a few decades back there were actually artists but they have all retired and left...

Corporate hacks are all that's left now. You see the same tats anywhere and everywhere in the U.S. now... surprised Wal-Mart isn't doing them too...

#44 | Posted by Pegasus at 2019-09-05 06:15 AM | Reply

I passed over an otherwise perfectly qualified job applicant (on paper) for a good paying corporate mid-management job (with lots of room for advancement) when he showed up with the head of a cobra tattoo crawling up the side of his neck.

I think young people who opt for visible tattoos should give some thought to their future job prospects. I liked this young man a lot but the image wasn't good for a client oriented company.

#45 | Posted by Twinpac at 2019-09-05 07:37 PM | Reply

I agree with someone else here-- unless it's a 3-D tattoo and hidden -- it turns me off. Most parlors refuse to ink prison ink unless you've earned it. Too many youngsters are getting tear drop or gang tats -- and they haven't earned it. Most tats I've seen are unfinished and or crap. Beautiful women who tat up a beautiful body are stupid. I'm beginning to see older women with 70's and 80's tats and they look like -----. When I see a granny with a tat, I treat her like a hoe. And what about those "tramp stamps" coming of age at 50 or 60? I swear, I saw one that said "drop a dime here" with an butterfly arrow pointing to her ass whole. WTF??

And what the hell is going on with colored people getting tattoos??? I'm brown and com'on, whats the friggin' point? All these basketball players with elaborate tats and you can't see them?

What about the face and eyeball tats? Eyeball tats are definitively prison tats.

#46 | Posted by Goose_Boils at 2019-09-05 10:08 PM | Reply