Thursday, September 05, 2019

Johns Hopkins Medicine is launching a new psychedelic research center where scientists will test the potential of so-called magic mushrooms and other drugs to treat some of the toughest mental health and addiction challenges.

Comments

Now that's forward thinking. I have a bud who had good results from being in a ptsd and nerve damage VA "research trial" with a substance related to this type of Center.

#1 | Posted by GOnoles92 at 2019-09-04 09:23 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 3

I hope it works.

#2 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2019-09-04 09:50 PM | Reply

This is a long overdue idea, awesome.

#3 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2019-09-04 10:54 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

It's really a shame and a huge loss not just for science, but the millions of people that could have been helped but weren't because our leaders wanted to address the hippie problem 50 plus years ago.

#4 | Posted by Hagbard_Celine at 2019-09-05 11:02 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

#4 | Posted by Hagbard_Celine

The hippie "problem" was that much like today's millennial's they wanted to experience life and were passionate about injustices, the environment, etc. even if that passion was sometimes directed against the wrong people (our servicemen) they had it more right than most of us. The fact that they were into recreational drugs made them easy targets...

My wife has been reading a lot lately on things like magic mushrooms and Ayahuasca. It is amazing what the big pharma and the government will do to keep people away from traditional remedies and medicines. It's really a shame how much is still being lost in places like the Amazon.

#5 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2019-09-06 01:57 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Native Americans have been using "psychedelics" theraputically for eons... all anyone had to do was ask.

#6 | Posted by RightisTrite at 2019-09-06 05:36 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Ever wonder why people desire to have theys head messed up?
And the longer we go, the more legal it becomes?
Its like the sky is the limit...but we still expect everyone else to be sober, sane sensible and hard working.
Need an "escape" we say. Well how about EMTs? Or police? Or crane operators? Or teachers?
Don't they need a little "chip" to get thru the day too?
Sober up damit.

#7 | Posted by phesterOBoyle at 2019-09-06 08:54 AM | Reply

"It's really a shame how much is still being lost in places like the Amazon."

October 31, 2001. Full Moon. Several miles hike into the Peruvian Amazon to find the Ayahuasquero's compound. Went a little heavy on the Christian imagery during the ceremony but otherwise a life changing experience. Will never forget it. Especially the vomiting over the railing which seemed like a metaphor revealing some arcane knowledge.

#8 | Posted by Hagbard_Celine at 2019-09-06 11:48 AM | Reply

www.youtube.com

#9 | Posted by Corky at 2019-09-06 11:52 AM | Reply

--My wife has been reading a lot lately on things like magic mushrooms and Ayahuasca.

It's not hard to grow your own. In all but 3 states you can purchase magic mushroom spore syringes over the internet.

#10 | Posted by nullifidian at 2019-09-06 12:06 PM | Reply

Ever wonder why people desire to have theys head messed up?
And the longer we go, the more legal it becomes?
Don't they need a little "chip" to get thru the day too?
Sober up damit.

#7 | POSTED BY PHESTEROBOYLE AT 2019-09-06 08:54 AM | FLAG:

It's called being responsible. I work hard and an awful lot but sometimes I like taking a little escape on my own time. When I'm at work, I'm punctual, sober and productive. What I do on my own time is none of your business and I've never quite understood busybodies like you.

#11 | Posted by lfthndthrds at 2019-09-06 01:31 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

#8 | Posted by Hagbard_Celine

That vomiting thing is a REAL turn off for me. About the last thing I can stand doing. I have heard it is usually a life changing experience though.

#12 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2019-09-06 02:10 PM | Reply

#7 | Posted by phesterOBoyle

Live and let live. Run your own life the way you want to, and let others do the same. If you read anything about these compounds they do more to help people than anything else. Nobody is advocating people taking these at work... Get a life and quit worrying about others wanting to actually experience life.

#13 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2019-09-06 02:14 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Sign me up!

#14 | Posted by LostAngeles at 2019-09-06 02:43 PM | Reply

"That vomiting thing is a REAL turn off for me."

It's coming out both ends, though I had bigger problems with the former compared to the latter. But you're in such a state that you don't really care or at least accept that it's part of the process.

#15 | Posted by Hagbard_Celine at 2019-09-06 02:55 PM | Reply

What? No research office at the Yaqui Reservation?

#16 | Posted by LesWit at 2019-09-06 03:31 PM | Reply

Hey, Nulli can be employed again! Socialized medicine works people.

#17 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2019-09-06 04:06 PM | Reply

#17 | POSTED BY HELIUMRAT

Just send me your spare shrooms. I'm too lazy to grow a batch.

#18 | Posted by nullifidian at 2019-09-06 04:22 PM | Reply

I remember my last day of college finals... just so happened to coincide with psilocybin harvest day for my friend Ted. He grew them himself in his basement. We gobbled down a handful apiece, simultaneously stuffing our mouths with Fritos to mask the flavor of moldy dirt. It was about 6 pm.

That night there was a Boston band playing at a local punk club that was fairly new. The band was Human Sexual Response, and the song that I remember most vividly was "What Does Sex Mean to Me?" The lead singer would plunge wildly into the crowd and crawl around on all fours as he shouted out the lyrics. People were pushing him and he was pushing back. I was dancing incoherently and tripping balls. Drinks were flowing and the conversation was hyperbolic.

Ted and I were checking out the girls, most of whom were smoking hot, naively unaware of the degree to which this gay-friendly club was indeed gay-friendly, and afterward we conceded that, in fact, some of the girls were probably technically not girls at all. Still, we had had one hell of a good time. The future seemed so liberated and beautiful and loud.

#19 | Posted by cbob at 2019-09-06 10:49 PM | Reply

"White man goes into his churches to talk about Jesus, the Indian into his Tepee to talk to Jesus"(with Peyote etc).

-Quanah Parker

Quanah Parker was the last Comanche chief to war against the US. He started the Native American Church that uses peyote in its sacramental rituals. Their use of entheogens is permitted and federally protected. The church is still active to this day.

#20 | Posted by shane at 2019-09-07 01:25 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1