Thursday, September 05, 2019

NASA's NuSTAR X-ray observatory has spotted something a little weird. While imaging the Fireworks galaxy, NuSTAR spotted several mysterious bright sources of X-ray light, appearing as green and blue spots. Within days, the blobs had disappeared.

Comments

In brightest day, in blackest night,

No evil shall escape my sight.

Let those who worship evil's might

Beware my power--Green Lantern's light!

#1 | Posted by sixam at 2019-09-05 05:31 PM | Reply | Funny: 1 | Newsworthy 2

ah yea...

Aliens discovered cheap Chinese laser pointers on Amazon...

#2 | Posted by Pegasus at 2019-09-05 05:35 PM | Reply | Funny: 4

Aliens attempting contact using tech that is still beyond our reach. We can "see" the attempts, just don't have a means of deciphering to even acknowledge whether the phenomenon is natural or not.

We're just too far behind. I still believe the Wow! signal was legit alien contact.

#3 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2019-09-05 05:37 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

#3 | POSTED BY RSTYBEACH11

These are the ones that haven't met us yet. They may have high hopes for us.
The ones that visit lock their doors as they pass by.

#4 | Posted by Vaquero at 2019-09-05 08:13 PM | Reply

Rsty is that one guy we all know on SpaceGrindr, hanging around crop circles, looking to get picked up and probed by the aliens.

Not that there's anything wrong with that!

#5 | Posted by snoofy at 2019-09-05 08:21 PM | Reply

Sixam

Seniority #2. Howdy

#6 | Posted by lfthndthrds at 2019-09-05 08:59 PM | Reply

How can X-rays be green or blue, I don't understand. Anybody can help me?

#7 | Posted by Charliecharles at 2019-09-06 01:35 AM | Reply

"How can X-rays be green or blue, I don't understand. Anybody can help me?
#7 | Posted by Charliecharles at 2019-09-06 01:35 AM"

x-ray fluorescence

#8 | Posted by TrueBlue at 2019-09-06 03:08 AM | Reply

That makes sense, thank you.

#9 | Posted by Charliecharles at 2019-09-06 06:18 AM | Reply

I see the green light.

I just honk until driver puts their phone down and sees it too.

#10 | Posted by Petrous at 2019-09-06 12:23 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

"Beware my power--Green Lantern's light!"

Maybe it was Mogo?

#11 | Posted by Hagbard_Celine at 2019-09-06 01:39 PM | Reply

The Mote in God's Eye?

Larry Niven fans get it.

#12 | Posted by goatman at 2019-09-06 01:52 PM | Reply

""How can X-rays be green or blue, I don't understand. Anybody can help me?
#7 | Posted by Charliecharles at 2019-09-06 01:35 AM"

x-ray fluorescence
#8 | POSTED BY TRUEBLUE AT 2019-09-06 03:08 AM |"

Or extreme red shift. But you are probably right. Flourescence is more likely.

#13 | Posted by goatman at 2019-09-06 01:54 PM | Reply

I see the green light.

I just honk until driver puts their phone down and sees it too.

#10 | Posted by Petrous

That seems to be the case all too often. Phones are a new addiction. I take my dogs to this fenced 12 acre dog park when the weather's cool enough. Half the people there are glued to their phone screens. For many it seems keeping up with FB is more important than paying attention while driving or enjoying a bright sunny day at the park.

#14 | Posted by AMERICANUNITY at 2019-09-06 02:39 PM | Reply

"Half the people there are glued to their phone screens. For many it seems keeping up with FB is more important than paying attention while driving or enjoying a bright sunny day at the park."

#15 | Posted by Hagbard_Celine at 2019-09-06 02:49 PM | Reply

"For centuries people would sit in the park and read a book or a newspaper and nobody criticized them for being antisocial or for not truly enjoying the outdoors. If anything it was the opposite.

#15 | POSTED BY HAGBARD_CELINE AT 2019-09-06 02:49 PM "

That never created a road hazard.

And though not deadly or necessarily hazardous, I have been walked into by people with their nose in their phone. If I see them coming, I'll just stop to see if they notice a person in their path. Usually they don't. That's just plain rude.

#16 | Posted by goatman at 2019-09-06 02:54 PM | Reply

"The Mote in God's Eye?

Larry Niven fans get it.

#12 | POSTED BY GOATMAN "

One of my sci-fi favorites, book and writer.

#17 | Posted by Foreigner at 2019-09-06 03:41 PM | Reply

"One of my sci-fi favorites, book and writer.

#17 | POSTED BY FOREIGNER AT 2019-09-06 03:41 PM |"

Same here. Mote is one of the few books I've read more than once. I think I've read it four times.

#18 | Posted by goatman at 2019-09-06 03:44 PM | Reply

"One of my sci-fi favorites, book and writer.

#17 | POSTED BY FOREIGNER AT 2019-09-06 03:41 PM |"

I would love to see a well made movie of Mote. I mean a good one -- not another Dune. The visual opportunities abound.

#19 | Posted by goatman at 2019-09-06 03:45 PM | Reply

#3 | Posted by rstybeach11

Hey I get you the original signal was not a natural signal, and I'm a pro at signal analysis: Here:

#20 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2019-09-06 03:58 PM | Reply

#20 | POSTED BY HELIUMRAT

Please repost! Link did not come through

#21 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2019-09-06 10:05 PM | Reply

Not that there's anything wrong with that!
#5 | POSTED BY SNOOFY

Would be worth the ---- sacrafice to know the actual truth.

But(t) that's just me.

#22 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2019-09-06 10:07 PM | Reply | Funny: 2 | Newsworthy 1

#15 | Posted by Hagbard_Celine

The difference being the people at the dog park made a special effort to drive their dogs there to have fun. Instead of enjoying it, they're glued to FB as they walk the 1/3 mile perimeter.

#23 | Posted by AMERICANUNITY at 2019-09-06 11:55 PM | Reply

#22 I'm inclined to agree with you, but consider this:
Nobody would ever believe you.
Except Matthew McCoughanehy's character in Contact.
You want to hang around that guy the rest of your life???

#24 | Posted by snoofy at 2019-09-07 03:49 AM | Reply