Saturday, September 07, 2019

India's second Moon mission will see the country's space agency attempt to land a rover on the lunar surface on 7 September. Costing $150 million, Chandrayaan-2 will carry forward the achievements of its predecessor Chandrayaan-1 which was launched in 2008 and discovered the presence of water molecules on the parched lunar surface.

Comments

I'll bet this pisses Pakistan off. Again.

I'm pleased to see other countries enter the space age.

#1 | Posted by goatman at 2019-09-05 11:28 PM | Reply

Only $150 Milion? NASA should get some pointers.

#2 | Posted by goatman at 2019-09-05 11:29 PM | Reply

I'll bet this pisses Pakistan off. Again.

Pakistan wasn't pissed off the first time. What "again"? LOL

This has nothing whatsoever to do with Pakistan.

Only $150 Milion? NASA should get some pointers.

This IS NASA's old hand-me-down junk they are using.. from the cryogenic engines for the launch rocket to the circuit boards in the space probe. The only thing Indian is the new paint.

Why does it cost just $150 million? Because there are no American taxpayers in India the US govt can steal from.

#3 | Posted by J_Tremain at 2019-09-05 11:48 PM | Reply

And your next question would be WHY would NASA help them out?

Well so it's clear to everyone, "Stick with America and you won't be left behind".

#4 | Posted by J_Tremain at 2019-09-05 11:52 PM | Reply

"It's what the Soviets did with sending any Tom, Dick or Harry from the Communist countries up to their miserable space station.

#4 | POSTED BY J_TREMAIN "

I heard the Mir smelled really badly.

#5 | Posted by goatman at 2019-09-05 11:58 PM | Reply

I heard the Mir smelled really badly.

Don't know about Mir but it sure wouldn't smell pretty after having a fire onboard.

As for smell... space itself has a peculiar smell.

www.theatlantic.com

the Mir

And Salyut.

They let other commies into Salyut as well as into Mir.

www.dw.com

#6 | Posted by J_Tremain at 2019-09-06 12:06 AM | Reply

Well, if I were in a space station for so many months, where would all the fart gases go? I would say it wouldn't smell like some chick using "Summer's Eve" douche on her ---- but like "a Soviet sweaty taint on a hot summer's night." Someone's going to smell that sketchy odor. NASA better provide some Fabreeze!

Ever smell a chick's -------- when you bought her home from the club and you tried to bang her-----------? No? Me, either. But I can imagine that plumber's crack doesn't smell so nice no matter how beautiful the owner looks.

Kudzu's right. Some people are so ------ ignorant and stupid.

Taint = the skin between an ---- and a man's testicular sack. Sweat and ---- don't smell so nice after a hard day's night. This is why I don't get the point of being a groupie. How can you lay down with a rock star RIGHT after him getting off stage? I mean they look like Gene Simmons or Steven Tyler. Ugh!

#7 | Posted by Goose_Boils at 2019-09-06 05:43 AM | Reply

God speed India. We know from the Russians that Martians eat space probes, so watch you nologous.

#8 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2019-09-06 03:13 PM | Reply

Good thing it was unmanned. Oops.

#9 | Posted by homerj at 2019-09-06 06:19 PM | Reply

I am surprised.... I thought they would have mastered Windows95 by now...

#10 | Posted by Pegasus at 2019-09-07 12:46 PM | Reply

When does the 7-11 moonbase open?

#11 | Posted by lee_the_agent at 2019-09-07 01:00 PM | Reply

India just disenfranchised and eliminated the citizenship of 1,000,000 people. F**k India. Their leader is a virtual Nazi. I hate to say this but it is true, I have much more respect for the leader of Pakistan. Hindu nationalists are as evil as white nationalists here. Modi is an evil man who is going to harm India is ways they will never recover from.

#12 | Posted by danni at 2019-09-07 01:04 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

Chandrayaan-2 will carry forward the

It won't carry forward &%it. It crashed.

Why is this thread on the front page and not the other one?

#13 | Posted by J_Tremain at 2019-09-07 01:36 PM | Reply

Merge the threads, what?

If at first you don't succeed, try try again?

#14 | Posted by J_Tremain at 2019-09-07 01:38 PM | Reply

@ 8
"Gods"
They got lots of um.

#15 | Posted by HanoverFist at 2019-09-07 01:44 PM | Reply

"Gods"
They got lots of um.

One for every day of the year.

Maybe more.

#16 | Posted by J_Tremain at 2019-09-07 01:49 PM | Reply

Hey look... it's rat god!

www.lotussculpture.com

#17 | Posted by J_Tremain at 2019-09-07 02:01 PM | Reply

Good for them for trying as the US has pretty much over the decades give up in that arena.

#18 | Posted by MSgt at 2019-09-07 04:59 PM | Reply

Good for them for trying...

Hopefully they have enough telemetry so they can find out what went wrong.

Lessons learned, and all that.

#19 | Posted by REDIAL at 2019-09-07 08:18 PM | Reply

Hopefully they have enough telemetry so they can find out what went wrong.

I said they used American hand-me-down tech (you can see the results proving I was correct). That which NASA considered junk, was given away.

I can build a space station using duct-tape, cardboard and chewing gum. When it falls apart, "hopefully I have enough telemetry so I can find out what went wrong".

#20 | Posted by J_Tremain at 2019-09-08 02:48 AM | Reply

That which NASA considered junk, was given away.

And it's not the junk itself I am blaming... there is nothing wrong in repurposing junk. The whole Russian space program was built on junk. And it worked... it still works.

The problem happens when it's not YOUR junk.

When you don't understand what it is you are slapping together like a club-sandwich, your prospects take a nosedive.

#21 | Posted by J_Tremain at 2019-09-08 02:53 AM | Reply

i.postimg.cc

LOL

#22 | Posted by J_Tremain at 2019-09-08 02:55 AM | Reply

Modi hugs Indian chief scientist as he starts crying:

twitter.com

tribune.com.pk

Indian Space Research Organisation's (ISRO) head scientist was a blubbering mess as he met Prime Minister Narendra Modi after India's second mission to the moon ended in failure.
=================

Just a few minutes earlier, Modi was giving a speech in ... whatever the hell passes for Mission Control in India... and telling the scientists how to maneuver the probe. LOL

Politicians have no business telling scientist how to do their jobs!

#23 | Posted by J_Tremain at 2019-09-08 07:32 AM | Reply

Here is my rule about space exploration. Feed your people first. If they are still starving then you shouldn't be exploring space. Pretty simple actually. Modi should be ignored, he is a detriment to his population, he wants to explore space for what good reason? Spends millions on it while people starbe.

#24 | Posted by danni at 2019-09-08 08:31 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Good on India, sad to see it fail. Projects like these are important for national pride. It can't all be about the poor.

#25 | Posted by visitor_ at 2019-09-08 11:54 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Looks like the Slurpee dispenser failed at a crucial moment...

#26 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2019-09-08 12:00 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

The funny thing is, Israel's lander failed in the same exact way!

Coincidence? I think not.

Both Israel and India used American hand-me-down equipment. Neither is in a position to make any of it's own stuff for real (never mind the propaganda).

In the 90s, China's rockets had a habit of exploding. But after Bubba Clinton gave them NASA tech... they haven't failed since.

Either the Chinese are brilliant (which they are actually) or Bubba liked to give out the good stuff (ask that intern) while Obama and Trump handed out junk.

#27 | Posted by J_Tremain at 2019-09-08 01:02 PM | Reply

They are looking for more designated poo'ing streets off-planet.

#28 | Posted by berserkone at 2019-09-08 10:44 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1