Saturday, September 07, 2019

These candidates occupy much different poll positions and have wildly different approaches, styles and philosophies.

Yang, the cheerful prophet of doom; Williamson, the spiritual healer; Gabbard, the teller of hard-truths about American imperialism; and Sanders, well, he's just Bernie.

But they have something important in common: they don't fit the mold. They aren't in the club. They defy the rules.

When you are a threat to the political establishment, you are inherently a threat to the careers of journalists who rely on access to that political establishment. There may not be an edict coming down from on high to "destroy" those candidates who threaten the system, but there are natural defense mechanisms that kick in.

Candidates who don't conform may be exactly what the country needs, but they are precisely what the media scorns.

Comments

From the article ...

CNN recently displayed a curious graphic. It looked ordinary enough, a listing of top Democratic presidential candidates in a new national poll, but with a glaring omission. The graphic listed what appeared to be the top six candidates, except that they didn't quite get it right.

Rather than listing the sixth-place candidate, Andrew Yang, who was polling at 3 percent, they skipped right over him and included instead former congressman Beto O'Rourke, who had only garnered 1 percent in the poll. Yang was left off entirely.

Rep. Tulsi Gabbard (D-Hawaii), who resigned from the Democratic National Committee (DNC) in protest over its treatment of Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.) and dares to challenge the bipartisan pro-war foreign policy consensus, has been smeared as "unpatriotic." This, despite the fact that she is an Iraq War veteran who, to this day, serves in the Hawaii Army National Guard.

I've talked quite a bit about media bias against Sanders. The latest, most egregious case involved a Washington Post "FactCheck" that found Sanders accurately cited academic research " but managed to give him three "Pinocchios" anyway.

Matt Taibbi has talked at length about how journalism and the media has changed, from reporters and media types often being iconoclastic and aggressively adversarial in speaking truth to power -- to what we have now, Ivy League reporter and media types who feel more of a kinship to the political establishment (and also Ivy League) types they're covering.

#1 | Posted by PinchALoaf at 2019-09-07 02:17 PM | Reply

Professional journalists work for large corporations funded by advertising from large corporations. Duh.

There is a right wing bias in the 5th estate, when it should be a check on abuse of power by the establishment.

#2 | Posted by bored at 2019-09-07 02:26 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

I don't disagree with the article but I also don't understand why Elizabeth Warren isn't also in that group because if she gets the nomination the media will be all in for Trump. She is probably the biggest threat to the corporate media who is running, at least as much as Bernie is. I'll vote and work for either or any of the other candidates mentioned though I doubt I could work too hard for a person who believe the Bahamas could have used their brains to move Dorian.
Sorry, I consider myself a little bit spiritual but I ain't going to believe that nonsense.

#3 | Posted by danni at 2019-09-07 04:34 PM | Reply

I agree with that part. The Ivy League is progressive finishing school for the elite. We should cut off federal funding for it. Harvard has a whopping 38 billion dollar endowment by itself. They can finance the training of SJW activists and progressive technocrats themselves.

#4 | Posted by nullifidian at 2019-09-07 08:46 PM | Reply

Thinking about Marianne....

I was at the park today walking the dogs with my wife and there was a witches festival going on. Maybe 12-15 tents selling crystals, custom Ouiji boards. Some lady whose signs said she was a healer had a customer in a chair and was waiving her arms and blowing on him. Hahaha. Total hippie nutters. The lesbian couple selling the Ouiji boards where these two huge biker chicks with tats and Mohawks. I was scared of them, but they liked our dog.

I bought this cool tie-dyed hemp sheet with Egyptian eyes on in a teal/blue/black scheme. I got it to throw over my amps when I'm not playing.

It turned out perfect. yeah. real witches. a whole coven of them.

#5 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2019-09-07 11:57 PM | Reply

Just an observation: witches look like they're dead broke.

#6 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2019-09-08 12:01 AM | Reply

#4 | POSTED BY NULLIFIDIAN

Here's an example of today's journalists/media types having more of a kinship to the politicians they cover INSTEAD of working toward holding them accountable ...

Daily Beast Doxxed Guy Who Made Funny Pelosi Video
www.youtube.com
[19:44]

If you don't want to go thru the entire video, go to the 18:15 mark where the point is made that as one gets older it becomes it becomes very apparent that pretty much everything in the world is truly screwed up [George Carlin made the same point at the beginning of his 'Religion is BS' rant].

#7 | Posted by PinchALoaf at 2019-09-08 10:44 AM | Reply

Another example of what's wrong with today's media ...

CNN's Threat To Dox Maker Of Trump Meme Likely Illegal
www.youtube.com
[12:24]

Instead of working toward holding powerful people accountable, the media instead threaten's to smash ordinary people over free speech that is nothing more than meaningless fluff.

#8 | Posted by PinchALoaf at 2019-09-08 10:58 AM | Reply

Danni,

The power of prayer is real.

The effect of prayer is mysteriously woven into the fabric of life.

Unprovable but undeniably real to people who have felt it.

Personally I am absolutely convinced I have witnessed its affect.

#9 | Posted by BillJohnson at 2019-09-08 08:42 PM | Reply

#3 | POSTED BY DANNI

That might be the funniest thing I've read in a while. Media coverage of Trump has been 92% negative and included in that count are friendlier outlets like Fox and the WSJ editorial page. Warren has been the media darling (now that Harris is fizzling). You really do live in an alternate reality sometimes.

#10 | Posted by JeffJ at 2019-09-09 09:17 AM | Reply

"The power of prayer is real."

Please show one peer-reviewed double-blind study that supports your theory.

#11 | Posted by Danforth at 2019-09-09 09:27 AM | Reply

he conceded it's unprovable.

He's a big fat liar, right?

#12 | Posted by eberly at 2019-09-09 09:35 AM | Reply | Funny: 1

Cognitively dissonant would be the words you're looking for.

#13 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2019-09-09 10:02 AM | Reply

who is looking for them? me?

#14 | Posted by eberly at 2019-09-09 10:12 AM | Reply

So, basically, you are looking for a liberal Trump?

#15 | Posted by boaz at 2019-09-09 03:08 PM | Reply

Dan,

I know how it goes with people.

You've never felt or seen it so that means no one else have either.

#16 | Posted by BillJohnson at 2019-09-09 03:18 PM | Reply

Dan,

At my age I've had this same conversation before and have seen the same ritual play out.

I have some questions if you want to respond.

Why is it so important to them they demand I admit it can't be proven?

Why do they seem to come across as being threatened by my beliefs?

#17 | Posted by BillJohnson at 2019-09-09 03:48 PM | Reply

"Why do some atheists snap and get openly angry when people claim they believe in God and prayer? Why is it so important to them they demand I admit it can't be proven?"

Because you're making claims that science tried to prove, and Instead they disproved. What you've experienced is mathematical coincidence, nothing more. If lots of people pray for a person and that person recovers, that's given to prayer. If lots of people pray for them and die, the result is ignored.

And the reason folks like you are feared, is most of you, for example, want to give false information about reproduction to students. All because of your religious beliefs.

Also, I'm not an atheist. I just believe that if I'm OK with allowing my religion to control, I would have to be OK with allowing other religions to control as well. I'm not.

#18 | Posted by Danforth at 2019-09-09 03:55 PM | Reply

Dan,

Personally I have a different theory why people feel threatened.

#19 | Posted by BillJohnson at 2019-09-09 04:18 PM | Reply

"Since you can't prove God and prayer are false beliefs, if anything we're at a stalemate."

No we're not. You made a false claim that has never, ever been able to be proven scientifically, and in fact has been disproven scientifically.

I hold nothing against your beliefs; just against your false statements.

#20 | Posted by Danforth at 2019-09-09 04:22 PM | Reply

"Personally I have a different theory why people feel threatened."

Enlighten us.