Sunday, September 08, 2019

For most of us, the older we get, the more we slow down physically. But for some, growing old also means slowing down socially - so much to the point that some home-bodied seniors go days with little to no human interaction.

Comments

Sad

#1 | Posted by PinchALoaf at 2019-09-08 12:20 PM | Reply

Explains the behavior of some of the seniors on this site.

#2 | Posted by JOE at 2019-09-08 12:24 PM | Reply

Moms was cranky her last couple of years. Her and dad got so bored that they'd just sit around and poke each other with insults. It actually got hilarious. Some of it was pretty creative.

#3 | Posted by lfthndthrds at 2019-09-08 12:26 PM | Reply

I see this with my parents now .... maybe in retrospect it will seem hilarious :)

#4 | Posted by AndreaMackris at 2019-09-08 12:33 PM | Reply

Explains the behavior of some of the seniors on this site.
#2 | POSTED BY JOE

And you claim to be a caring liberal.....

#5 | Posted by AndreaMackris at 2019-09-08 12:33 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

#4 | POSTED BY ANDREAMACKRIS AT 2019-09-08 12:33 PM | FLAG:

It will. My folks were dying and I quit working to spend the last 6-9 months with them. I learned a lot about them being with them nearly every day but mostly I learned not to be too serious. At the end, they passed 3 months apart. I don't regret a minute of it, we had some good times.

#6 | Posted by lfthndthrds at 2019-09-08 04:54 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 5

Young people: Time for a bit of introspection.

How often to you go visit an old relative and talk to them" And if you do, how much time do you spend with them? Just enough to say you did? If you go and spend an entire day with them (and night if they are at home and have a bed), good on you. You are a very rare person.

#7 | Posted by goatman at 2019-09-08 05:03 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Just make a social media account and livestream your loneliness. That's sure to earn one at least a few "friends". Hell, that account could even be monetized! It's not even possible that veterans of WW2 might look upon this world and wonder what they've wrought. 1 follow per retweet!

#8 | Posted by berserkone at 2019-09-08 11:08 PM | Reply

There are good people in this world that respect and help seniors. It takes experience to relate to them but not everyone can associate their experience with the wisdom of aging.
The society in which we live is fraught with competitiveness and aggression that detracts from the necessary caring and nurturing environment that seniors need to get by. Intolerance of those who cannot fight makes the elderly easy targets for the ignorant and inexperienced who believe that they're doing the world a favor by teaching them a lesson physically and emotionally.

There aren't any rewards for aging, just a downward slide into vulnerability and immobility. The heading says Seniors Go Entire Week but they're not going anywhere. I now know why seniors simply notice that it's turned dark outside and close down for the night.
Everything costs money: The trip across town. The glasses to see at night. The food. The tickets. The dry cleaners and on and on.
I could use Walmart as a walking park but I did that last week and the week before.

Today I got on my KHS mountain bike, turned on the mid-drive electric system and zoomed outta town. At my age, it's the only way to get things to happen by dropping everything and just going.

#9 | Posted by LesWit at 2019-09-08 11:21 PM | Reply

I am old enough to identify with your boredome but I have one of my kids still dependent upon me> i don't know if it is mercy or a curse. Can't be real sure but it is what it is. I don't know if retirement for me is an amswer, I think I'll probably go nuts if I try that option. But still....getting older every day and I'm noticing the difference in how I feel.Dealing with typical old folks crap tonight, can't sleep. Still need to go to work in the morning though.
I don't know if continuing working is good for me or if it might just be the oly thing that keeps me going. Well, I'm going to go back and try to sleep, I find that is the hardest thing I try to do as I get older.

#10 | Posted by danni at 2019-09-09 02:54 AM | Reply

Some seniors get on the internet to interact with others.
Some come here..And get insulted for being old.
They see some youngers actually hoping they die soon.

#11 | Posted by phesterOBoyle at 2019-09-09 08:01 AM | Reply

#11 Aww, did it hurt your fee-fees to learn that the generation you left holding the bag doesn't want you anywhere near a voting booth anymore?

As Trumpers always say, "facts don't care about your feelings."

#12 | Posted by JOE at 2019-09-09 10:34 AM | Reply

Aw Joe, did grampa whip your butt for your rampant ageism?

#13 | Posted by phesterOBoyle at 2019-09-09 11:06 AM | Reply

This is all because those people lived in lonely times. I for one have been saying I can't wait to get old, just as long as they have perfected hand surgeries and eye surgeries. Give me good hands, good eyes, nothing to do, and a video game console and I'll show you someone who can tune everyone out on purpose just so I DON'T have to have any interactions with people all week.

#14 | Posted by humtake at 2019-09-09 12:16 PM | Reply

#10 | POSTED BY DANNI AT 2019-09-09 02:54 AM | FLAG: To assist in sleeping Danni, I've found time-release Melatonin to be invaluable as we get older out body produces less and less.

Melatonin
www.mayoclinic.org

#15 | Posted by MSgt at 2019-09-09 12:18 PM | Reply

If you have older relatives; take the time to spend some time with them. They are a gift that you can never get back.

#16 | Posted by homerj at 2019-09-09 04:31 PM | Reply

I thought the headline was senators, but that might only extend to constituents..

With our incredible first-world graces we lack foresight to properly care for our elders and instead monetize them.

Capitalism has triumphed over social needs, as always.

#17 | Posted by redlightrobot at 2019-09-10 05:08 AM | Reply

#14 | POSTED BY HUMTAKE AT 2019-09-09 12:16 PM

Fallout New Vegas soundtrack had me sooooo immersed, I didn't mind having to kill the enormous radroaches and scorpions so much to the Andrews Sisters. The same with Skyrim, the lore is rich and fits snugly into the Elder Scrolls mythos. As a simple strategist the interplay between dialog, goals and fighting make them exciting to play and to plan out. What we don't need is this kind of nonsense *turn audio waaaay down..

#18 | Posted by redlightrobot at 2019-09-10 05:22 AM | Reply

Melatonin
www.mayoclinic.org
#15 | POSTED BY MSGT AT 2019-09-09 12:18 PM

Thanks for reminding me to pick some up tonight. It's gentle enough, danni.

#19 | Posted by redlightrobot at 2019-09-10 05:25 AM | Reply