Monday, September 09, 2019

Hundreds of Hurricane Dorian survivors crowded into a ferry anchored in Freeport, Bahamas, on Sunday evening, after days on the sweltering islands with limited food, water and power. Then, an announcement blared from the boat's intercom speakers.

Comments

Under existing U.S. policy, Bahamians can bypass the visa process by providing a passport and proof of no criminal record and going through a pre-screening conducted by CBP in Freeport and Nassau. On Saturday, a cruise ship called the Grand Celebration took nearly 1,500 refugees to Palm Beach, Fla., without requiring passengers to show U.S. visas, according to media reports.

As anger and confusion mounted Sunday, CBP cited the Grand Celebration's arrival as proof that the United States isn't blocking refugees from the island.

"CBP continues to process the arrivals of passengers evacuating from the Bahamas according to established policy and procedures " as demonstrated by the nearly 1,500 Hurricane Dorian survivors who arrived at the Port of Palm Beach, Fla., aboard a cruise ship on Saturday and were processed without incident," a CBP spokesman said in a statement.

The refugees' plight comes after bipartisan calls to waive all visa requirements for Bahamas survivors. On Wednesday, Sens. Marco Rubio (R) and Sen. Rick Scott (R) of Florida wrote an open letter to President Trump urging him to allow in refugees with relatives in the United States. Eighteen other Florida lawmakers made a similar appeal.

Hopefully whatever caused this confusion is quickly worked out so that these people can seek refuge with their US-based families.

#1 | Posted by tonyroma at 2019-09-09 09:28 AM | Reply

As an American citizen, I just want to say that our immigration system doesn't speak for me. When we don't welcome Bahamians who have just endured a Category 5 Hurricane hovering over them for 3 solid day then we are not the nation that we pretend to be. I have known people from the Bahamas all my life, can't remember when I ever disliked any of them. They are virtually family and that is not an exaggeration. We are Floridians but they are as much a part of Florida as is Miami or Tampa, or, in my memories Melbourne. All these places are our memories and where our families live. Bahamians are out brothers and sisters. If we don't open our doors to them it will haunt us forever. That is the truth from a real Florida native whose mother and grandmother were Florida natives.

#2 | Posted by danni at 2019-09-09 09:47 AM | Reply

Well they're not white, so what do you expect?

#3 | Posted by Nixon at 2019-09-09 11:20 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 3

The process was already in place. This was an issue with the ferry operator.

Instead, he said, Baleria forced dozens of the evacuees who had hoped to seek refuge in Florida off the ferry, leaving them stranded in the Bahamas.

Silva said that while CBP has stressed that any shipping companies or airlines planning to assist Bahamians fleeing the natural disaster ensure that evacuees have obtained proper documentation first, the agency would have processed the dozens of people who were left behind had they been able to make their way to a U.S. port.

"We would have definitely worked with this transportation company or any other transportation company to...facilitate this process," Silva said. "CBP is not denying or discouraging evacuation efforts and we empathize with the plight of the Bahamian people."

www.newsweek.com

#4 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2019-09-09 12:12 PM | Reply

sop

#5 | Posted by fresno500 at 2019-09-09 12:50 PM | Reply

"Nornally Bahamians can travel to USA with passport and a printout of their police record. This is a mess."

"Silva said his office had informed the ferry company that it would need to transport evacuees fleeing the natural disaster to Nassau before heading to Florida, so that they could obtain visas to enter the U.S."

Oh, it's a mess created by a new Trump administration policy.

Just like the emrgy at the border caused by a new Trump administration policy.

Thanks for clearing that up, SheepleSchism.

#6 | Posted by snoofy at 2019-09-09 01:24 PM | Reply

i'm running for it. If you see someone incredibly handsome and seductive, that's not me.

#7 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2019-09-09 02:33 PM | Reply

I suspect that Trump's people just assumed that since the Bahamas are part of the British Commonwealth that their citizens were naturally white. However, when they saw the news feed showing that first batch of Bahamian refugees disembarking from the cruise ship in Miami, as seen in the news clip referenced below, and realized that the majority were black, that they suddenly decided that they needed to change the rules. After all, with an election coming next year, his people have to be very careful not to give the wrong impression to Trump's base about America's humanitarian policies. After all, if these had all been white European descendants, that would have been seen as reinforcing Trump's promise to "Make America White Again", but if these people see black refugees, even if many of them speak better English than they do, being welcomed at ports of entry in places like Florida, well, what sort of message does that send to a Trump die-hard supporter...

www.cnn.com

OCU

#8 | Posted by OCUser at 2019-09-09 02:41 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

#8 | Posted by OCUser

If you drink enough Grulsh everybody looks like Eva.

#9 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2019-09-09 02:45 PM | Reply

Thanks for clearing that up, SheepleSchism.
#6 | POSTED BY SNOOFY

You're welcome. I'm glad that I could clear up that we have controlled borders.

Build the wall. all of it.

#10 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2019-09-09 04:31 PM | Reply

Build a wall to stop ships coming from the Bahamas?

***

Hey Jack, what's happenin'?
I don't know
Well, uh, rumor around town says you might be thinkin' 'bout goin' down to the shore
Uh, yeah, I think I'm gonna go down to the shore
What ya gonna do down there?
Uh, I don't know
Play some video games, buy some Def Leppard T-shirts
Don't forget your Motley Cre T-shirt!
You know all proceeds go to get their lead singer outta jail
Uh-huh
Can't wait to go down, hey, uh, were ya gonna check out the sand bar while you're down there?
Uh, what's the Sand Bar?
Ah, it's a place that lets sixteen year-old kids drink
Ah, cool
Yeah, hey, guess who's gonna be there?
Uh, who?
My favorite cover band, Crystal Ship
Wow
Yeah, they do a Doors show, you'd be really impressed, in fact, it goes a little like this
Love me two times, baby
Love me twice today
Love me two times, girl
'Cause I got AIDS
Love me two times, baby
Once for tomorrow
Once cause I got AIDS
Uh, pretty good Jim Morrison impersonation there
I hope those guys have a good sense of humor and don't take us into court
Uh, what's the court?
Never mind that, the important thing here (you mean the People's Court!)
The- no, that's another story
The important thing here is that we get to the part where you ask me how I'm gonna get down to the shore
Oh, how you gettin' down to the shore?
Funny you should ask, I've got a car now
Ah wow, how'd ya get a car?
Oh, my folks drove it up here from the Bahamas
You're kidding
I must be, the Bahamas are islands- okay, the important thing here is that, uh, you ask me what kinda car it is
Uh, uh, what kinda car do ya' got?

#11 | Posted by snoofy at 2019-09-09 04:58 PM | Reply

"Uh, uh, what kinda car do ya' got?"

I got a bitchin' Ca-maro.

#12 | Posted by Hagbard_Celine at 2019-09-09 05:17 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

Here we go again down another Trump created rabbithole:

Trump contradicts CBP head on Bahamian refugees, argues they might have been infiltrated by very bad people'

Early Monday afternoon, acting Customs and Border Protection head Mark Morgan offered some peace of mind to Bahamians seeking humanitarian relief in the United States in the wake of Hurricane Dorian, following the news that some were turned away for not having visas.

"This is a humanitarian mission," Morgan assured. "If your life is in jeopardy and you're in the Bahamas ... you're going to be allowed to come to the United States, whether you have travel documents or not." He said the processing would be handled expeditiously.

Then President Trump offered a very different message.

In a later Q&A with reporters, Trump emphasized that "very bad people" could exploit the process and warned against welcoming Bahamians.

"We have to be very careful," Trump said. "Everybody needs totally proper documentation. Because, look, the Bahamas had some tremendous problems with people going to the Bahamas that weren't supposed to be there."

The president added, "I don't want to allow people that weren't supposed to be in the Bahamas to come into the United States " including some very bad people and very bad gang members."

So, shortly after Morgan said people didn't need to have documents, Trump said they did. And shortly after Morgan emphasized a quick process, Trump suggested it would need to be very thorough.

Has anyone outside of myself taken a look at the total devastation wrought by Hurricane Dorian and then thought it's perfectly feasible for people who've lost everything to have immediate access and procurement of police record documentation? Obviously CBP head Mark Morgan didn't think so when he released his public statement today. I guess his faith in his personnel being able to do their jobs while simultaneously keeping Americans safe isn't shared by the POTUS.

#13 | Posted by tonyroma at 2019-09-09 05:46 PM | Reply

Why are republicans such unmitigated --------?

#14 | Posted by truthhurts at 2019-09-09 05:57 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

How do they obtain visas?

No internet.

No phones.

No cell towers.

No fax machines.

No paper.

No pencils.

How do they even know they're supposed to have this documentation?

I suppose they could go root around in the rubble of their embassy and hope for the best.

The president is a gosh darn knucklehead. And I reckon' if you support him you're a gosh darn knucklehead too.

Yeah I said it.

#15 | Posted by LostAngeles at 2019-09-09 06:06 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 6

#12. Iroc Z? Or is that a stereotype?

#16 | Posted by fresno500 at 2019-09-10 01:15 AM | Reply

Why are republicans such unmitigated --------?
#14 | POSTED BY TRUTHHURTS AT 2019-09-09 05:57 PM

Because they are not being hunted out in the streets just yet.

When a tornado wrecks one of their summer homes some might gain insight, but I really doubt it.

#17 | Posted by redlightrobot at 2019-09-10 01:44 AM | Reply

Lock them up in pens like we did the Cubans in '80. Then we can hose them down and get their paperwork straightened out.

#18 | Posted by lee_the_agent at 2019-09-10 11:10 AM | Reply

The belief in Karma isn't nearly as widespread as it needs to be.

#19 | Posted by Zed at 2019-09-10 11:15 AM | Reply

Who would Jesus let die?

#20 | Posted by Sycophant at 2019-09-10 02:24 PM | Reply

Trump had to pull this. If now, how was he going to explain the Southern Border fiasco? How was he going to explain not aiding Puerto Rico?

#21 | Posted by Goose_Boils at 2019-09-10 05:25 PM | Reply