Monday, September 09, 2019

Former secretary of defense James Mattis repeatedly refused MSNBC anchor Andrea Mitchell's invitations to criticize President Donald Trump in an interview Thursday.

After Mitchell quoted a portion of his new book Call Sign Chaos that criticized the Obama administration"including former vice president and 2020 candidate Joe Biden"for leaving the Middle East in "disarray" and "our friends confused", she asked if the American alliances were weaker now than when Mattis took office in 2017, and Mattis replied, "No, NATO is actually stronger today."

After Mattis deflected questions about Islamic State and military funding toward border wall construction, she next brought up a 2017 cabinet meeting where Mattis praised on the U.S. military rather than Trump. "Andrea, I'm going to frustrate you here," Mattis said, stating he only was thinking at the time about representing the Pentagon as an "apolitical organization."

Visibly frustrated, Mitchell ends the interview.

Comments

Gen. Mattis, ever the gentleman, schools Andrea Matthews in this interview.

Semper Fi

#1 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2019-09-09 07:21 PM | Reply

Ever the boot licker.

Semper Fi

#2 | Posted by J_Tremain at 2019-09-09 07:56 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

When Mattis thinks about the military, he thinks about the dude standing guard duty on Christmas Day. When MSNBC shills think of the military, they think "orange man bad."

#3 | Posted by GOnoles92 at 2019-09-09 08:44 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

"In 1998, when Gen. Mattis was serving as the Commanding General at the Marine Corps Base in Quantico, Virginia:

It was Christmas Day, and then-Marine Commandant Gen. Charles Krulak always brought cookies to officers and other troops in the D.C. area who had to stand duty on that day. When he walked in to surprise the officer on duty " which should have been a Major " he asked, "Who's the officer of the day?"

The lance corporal there said, "Sir, it's Brigadier General Mattis." After a brief back-and-forth where Krulak thought he was being misunderstood, he said, "OK ... who was the officer who slept in that bed last night?"

"And the Marine said, 'Sir, Brigadier General Mattis,'" Krulak later told Stars & Stripes.

Then, Gen. Mattis walked around the corner, in his duty uniform. He explained to Krulak that he took the Major's duty since he had a family at home, and Mattis didn't.

"I'm a bachelor," Krulak recalled him saying. "I thought why should the major miss out on the fun of having Christmas with his family, and so I took the duty for him."

That is leadership...something that most people who have never led will ever understand.

Semper Fi Mad Dog.

#4 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2019-09-09 10:00 PM | Reply

NATO is Stronger Under Trump

Did you know, if you were to go blind, the rest of your senses would become more acute in order to compensate.

This is a similar phenomenon.

#5 | Posted by ClownShack at 2019-09-09 10:09 PM | Reply

Mattis: 'I don't know how I could have spoken more loudly' against Trump than by quitting

Former Defense Secretary James Mattis said Wednesday that he could not see a more forceful way to express his opposition to the Trump administration's policies than by leaving the Pentagon.
MSNBC "Morning Joe" co-host Mika Brzezinski questioned Mattis about when officials such as himself would begin to issue forceful condemnations of the Trump administration.

"Well, I don't know how I could have spoken more loudly to where I stand [than] when I put in my letter of resignation, and quitting a job when I had not completed it, two years in," Mattis told Brzezinksi.

"This isn't about one man and the solution isn't going to be one person speaking out. It's going to be about the majority of Americans saying that's enough, we owe better to the next generation than what we're doing right now," Mattis added.

Mattis resigned from the Defense Department in late 2018, shortly after President Trump announced a withdrawal of U.S. troops from Syria in a move that surprised top Defense officials and also resulted in the resignation of the top U.S. envoy to the multinational coalition formed to battle the Islamic State in Iraq and Syria.

Ahead of the release of his book, "Call Sign Chaos: Learning to Lead," Mattis has given a series of media interviews about his time in the administration, though early reviews of his book suggest that it will not focus on his time working with Trump.

"I want people to understand why I couldn't stay. I've been informed by four decades of experience, and I just couldn't connect the dots anymore," he told The Atlantic last week.

"If you leave an administration, you owe some silence," he added at the time. "When you leave an administration over clear policy differences, you need to give the people who are still there as much opportunity as possible to defend the country."

thehill.com

#6 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2019-09-09 10:48 PM | Reply

"If you leave an administration, you owe some silence," he added at the time.

Mattis respects the chain of command, he respects the office of the presidency, but I think some of you may be reading too much into his silence if you think that it indicates Mattis respects Trump, the man.

#7 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2019-09-09 10:52 PM | Reply

"he only was thinking at the time about representing the Pentagon as an 'apolitical organization.'"

Jim Mattis Says He Regrets Strong Criticism Of Joe Biden In New Book

Mattis told Brennan he had begun writing his "history book" in 2013 and was unaware that Biden now a Democratic front-runner whose candidacy was long suspected would actually run.

"Had I known that the former vice president was going to run for office, I assure you I would not have probably been that forthcoming," he said.

. . .

Mattis said Tuesday during a Q&A session with Council on Foreign Relations President Richard Haass that he would speak out about the current administration "when the time's right." He offered no indication as to when he would break his silence.

"I don't believe that if you leave an administration over a matter of policy ... that you then get out and start talking in what we commonly call a kiss-and-tell now," he said. "I don't think it's the right thing to do."

www.msn.com

#8 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2019-09-09 11:10 PM | Reply

"Duty and honor are something that the Usual Idiots of the DR Left don't understand, here is Gen. Mattis in a nutshell--"

Ditto the Usual Idiots of the DR Right.

#9 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2019-09-09 11:12 PM | Reply

Duty, honor and discipline. You WANT me on that wall. You NEED me on that wall!

#10 | Posted by JeffJ at 2019-09-09 11:14 PM | Reply

--Duty, honor and discipline.

Reactionary heteronormative white supremacist colonialist patriarchal values. Who needs that old schiit?

#11 | Posted by nullifidian at 2019-09-09 11:25 PM | Reply

Once again, a true gentleman.

#12 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2019-09-09 11:27 PM | Reply

When I read the summary for this thread, I immediately knew it was a cherry-picked excerpt of what Gen Mattis has been saying this past week or so.

I have been listening to what he has been saying because I view Gen Mattis (among other things) in the light of this comment (#3, excerpt):

"...When Mattis thinks about the military, he thinks about the dude standing guard duty on Christmas Day...."

Respect.

To cherry pick what he says for one's own political purposes is disrespect.

Listen to all he says, not just what he says that puts a chubby in your chinos.

Gen Mattis is one of the most respected military leaders. I have learned much from him. Making my bed in the morning, for example.

#13 | Posted by LampLighter at 2019-09-09 11:27 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Mattis respects the chain of command, he respects the office of the presidency, but I think some of you may be reading too much into his silence if you think that it indicated Mattis respects Obama/Biden, the men.

Cuts both ways sweetheart.

#14 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2019-09-09 11:28 PM | Reply

Duty, honor and disciple. Three traits Trump, who once said "I know more" about NATO than Defense Secretary Jim Mattis, knows nothing about. A presidential reality I'm pretty sure isn't lost on Jim Mattis.

#15 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2019-09-09 11:28 PM | Reply

Did Gen. Mattis pull duty on Christmas so a Marine could be with his family?
www.stripes.com

Worth a read, imho.

#16 | Posted by LampLighter at 2019-09-09 11:30 PM | Reply

"Cuts both ways sweetheart."

I never said it didn't.

PS Don't call me sweetheart, jackrabbit, and feel free to make the appropriate "wouldn't get past the censor" substitution for rabbit.

#17 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2019-09-09 11:32 PM | Reply

First you say this:

To cherry pick what he says for one's own political purposes is disrespect.

Then you say this:

Listen to all he says, not just what he says that puts a chubby in your chinos.

The reason that it is "cherry picked" is because of the 1000 character limit, and this was the highlight of this exchange. I did, in fact, link the entire interview for all sot see, and listened to every word.

#18 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2019-09-09 11:35 PM | Reply

LOL, then make it clear at the start of your comment that it indeed cuts both ways if that is how you felt, Oryctolagus cuniculus.

#19 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2019-09-09 11:37 PM | Reply

sot => to

#20 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2019-09-09 11:39 PM | Reply

"You somehow think/hope that Gen. Mattis is going to somehow roll on this administration, but his comment that Gal posted in #6 will leave you sorely disappointed."

I think he will speak more openly someday when Trump is no longer in office. Just as did with regard to Obama and Biden. The fact that he regrets speaking out about Biden since Biden is running for president says a lot about his desire to stay apolitical.

#21 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2019-09-09 11:41 PM | Reply

Agreed, which was entirely my point to Lamp.

#22 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2019-09-09 11:46 PM | Reply

PS Don't call me sweetheart...

#17 | POSTED BY GAL_TUESDAY

Can I call you Shirley, or surely?

#23 | Posted by JeffJ at 2019-09-09 11:50 PM | Reply

Duty, honor and discipline.

Who knew it would be so complicated?

- Serial adulterer, fraudster, coward and traitor.

#24 | Posted by bored at 2019-09-10 12:05 AM | Reply

#23 Surely Shirley would be okay. :)

#25 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2019-09-10 12:06 AM | Reply

Funny, Gal.

Glad you got the joke.

#26 | Posted by JeffJ at 2019-09-10 12:09 AM | Reply

@#18 ... I know far more about Gen. Mattis than you ever will, as evidenced by this ridiculous comment. I frankly expect better from you. ...

So, you erroneously assert what you think is the extent of my knowledge based upon your acknowledgment that you do not know the extent of my knowledge.

Do you see the error in your logic?

Regardless, my point holds.

Your summary cites only a part of Gen Mattis' comments, and not all of what he has been saying this past week or so.

And I'll say it again...

Listen to all he says, not just what he says that puts a chubby in your chinos.

#27 | Posted by LampLighter at 2019-09-10 12:11 AM | Reply

@#18 ... You somehow think/hope that Gen. Mattis is going to somehow roll on this administration ...

And now you seem to be telling me what I think?

OK, what am I thinking now?

Wrong!

But really, let's bring this back to reality, and skip the attempts at mind-reading.

I do not think or hope Gen Mattis will roll on this or any administration.

What I expect to happen is that Gen Mattis will continue to act and speak in the manner he has always done.

I respect Gen Mattis. Gen Mattis has earned my respect. Gen Mattis is one of the most respected military leaders living today.

I strongly object to the continuing attempts in your messages to drag him down into the political arena.

Please stop.

#28 | Posted by LampLighter at 2019-09-10 12:18 AM | Reply

He reminds me of Gen. Cushman another ex-CMC who worked for a corrupt republican, Nixon. Mattis gets no respect from me.

#29 | Posted by Grumpy_too at 2019-09-10 12:31 AM | Reply

"NATO is Stronger Under Trump"
This is a similar phenomenon.
#5 | POSTED BY CLOWNSHACK AT 2019-09-09 10:09 PM

Agreed. Mattis is a liar.

Also, that Christmas shift story - BFD. I have worked every family holiday. Most of us without families do that.

As for keeping silent during the Trump administration - Mattis is a coward, plainly, and a traitor, imo.

I hope his book tanks, the profiteering -------.

#30 | Posted by redlightrobot at 2019-09-10 01:16 AM | Reply

How TF could Mattis say this after Trump has thumbed his nose at our European allies, sucked up to Putin, and is seeking to deny weapons to the Ukraine, who Russia invaded and stole Crimea from?

What a f-ing douchebag!

#31 | Posted by AMERICANUNITY at 2019-09-10 02:03 AM | Reply

"Gen. Mattis, ever the gentleman, schools Andrea Matthews in this interview.
Semper Fi
#1 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2019-09-09 07:21 PM"

Who is Andrea Matthews?

Yeah, OK.

The more pertinent error is that this is less of a schooling in being "gentlemanly" than an illustration of the extent that Gen. Mattis will avoid any attempts to be drawn into a political discussion, even though his recent actions are the epitome of a political statement.

#32 | Posted by TrueBlue at 2019-09-10 02:28 AM | Reply

Mattis was specific in how he defined stronger:

"I think we're into the fourth straight year or fifth straight year of the nations, almost all of them, increasing their defense budget. So I could say quantitatively NATO's actually stronger today."

www.newsbusters.org

#33 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2019-09-10 07:58 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

Talk to Andrea Matthews...if you think that is what I am doing then your reading comprehension tremendously sucks.

#34 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2019-09-10 10:56 AM | Reply

So I could say quantitatively NATO's actually stronger today.

Not qualitatively stronger.

#35 | Posted by YAV at 2019-09-10 12:22 PM | Reply

#35 That was my take too, Yav.

#36 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2019-09-10 12:27 PM | Reply

I think I will go with the former SecDef and CentCom commanding general on that assessment.

#37 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2019-09-10 12:28 PM | Reply

#37 - no, you'll go with your interpretation. Gal gets it completely. Mattis was explicit in his qualification of his comment, putting it completely in context with the financials. I won't read more into it than is there.

#38 | Posted by YAV at 2019-09-10 01:01 PM | Reply

More spending=stronger defense, which was his point. NATO has been complaining about the US for decades, they desperately need the US to stay in so the pressure to make them meet their contractual obligations (which every POTUS has done for decades) isn't weakening the alliance.

#39 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2019-09-10 01:19 PM | Reply

#39 Of course. What Mattis isn't saying in that particular comment is that the relationship between other NATO countries and the US is stronger.

#40 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2019-09-10 01:22 PM | Reply

That wasn't the question, he is talking about the NATO alliance, which is between the respective countries armed forces.

He's not talking about diplomatic relations at all.

#41 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2019-09-10 01:28 PM | Reply

NATO Alliance

#42 | Posted by YAV at 2019-09-10 03:10 PM | Reply

Its a Military Alliance.

#43 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2019-09-10 11:34 PM | Reply

"NATO Alliance
#42 | Posted by YAV at 2019-09-10 03:10 PM

Its a Military Alliance.
#43 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2019-09-10 11:34 PM"

NATO is MUCH more than simply a Military Alliance:

nationalinterest.org

#44 | Posted by TrueBlue at 2019-09-11 02:59 AM | Reply

LOL, sorry that I didn't use a Candidate for his Masters in Strategic Studies at National University of
Australia's terminology of "Security Force".

Po-ta-to - Po-tah-to

#45 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2019-09-11 03:42 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

#44 - Oh.
Slaughter the Source is now OK!

The points raised were solid, no matter the source. Many of them I hold and are self-evident.

#46 | Posted by YAV at 2019-09-11 10:18 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1