Wednesday, September 11, 2019

I'm getting back into my analysis of young adults living with parents (to be presented at ASSA in January), and I'm reminded how dramatically the prevalence of this has increased in recent years. pic.twitter.com/pSTdmk8mAi " Gray 'serial millennial myth debunker' Kimbrough (@graykimbrough) September 6, 2019

Alternate links: Google News | Twitter

Interesting graph ...

Comments

Its really an astounding number.....

I wonder how many parental basement dwellers we have here on the Retort.

#1 | Posted by AndreaMackris at 2019-09-11 12:39 AM | Reply

Wow. I moved out literally the week after I graduated from HS.

I blame the parents as well as the loser kids. I told my son if he didn't go to college, he had 6 months to move out, but if he went to college, he had room and board as long as he was passing.

Why parents enable their children to be dependent losers is beyond me. They are doing them no favors.

#2 | Posted by goatman at 2019-09-11 12:50 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

There's 25 year old men here?
Seems unlikely.
Maybe GoNoles, can't imagine anyone else.

#3 | Posted by snoofy at 2019-09-11 12:56 AM | Reply

"There's 25 year old men here?"

Who said there was, snoofygames (tm)?

#4 | Posted by goatman at 2019-09-11 01:00 AM | Reply

Fat Andy Mattress is posting a story about him and his kind.
Good times.

#5 | Posted by aborted_monson at 2019-09-11 02:16 AM | Reply

"Fat Andy Mattress is posting a story about him and his kind.
Good times.

#5 | POSTED BY ABORTED_MONSON "

I can't help but to notice that you like to fantasize about other posters being fat. What's that all about?

#6 | Posted by goatman at 2019-09-11 02:21 AM | Reply

My oldest son (28) got the real life experience right before his 19th birthday. I made him leave because he was an unproductive lazy young man living on my couch. Ten years later he's a respectable man who I admire. He has a good job and an excellent career path. Had I not taken those steps, I'd bet everything I have that he'd still be laying on my couch when I get home from work. I saw too many cases within my own family and circle of friends.

#7 | Posted by lfthndthrds at 2019-09-11 06:52 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

There's 25 year old men here?

There's a couple mid to late 20somethings here, though I'm probably the most active on these boards. As far as I can tell, I think we're all doing well as a ReTort demographic.

#8 | Posted by GOnoles92 at 2019-09-11 08:15 AM | Reply

"I wonder how many parental basement dwellers we have here on the Retort"

Says the person who has commented on an anonymous website over 20 times in the last 12 hours

#9 | Posted by ChiefTutMoses at 2019-09-11 09:18 AM | Reply

-I wonder how many parental basement dwellers we have here on the Retort.

It's not like any of them are going to admit it.

#10 | Posted by eberly at 2019-09-11 09:29 AM | Reply

If you read the thread you'll see those living in group settings (ie dorms or with room mates I would imagine) are excluded.

So the overall % is lower than 40%.

I'd like to see geographical breakdowns as in some places this is common simply owing to cost of living being so high with economic outlook for millennials being relatively poor (thanks boomers!).

#11 | Posted by jpw at 2019-09-11 09:52 AM | Reply

When i was in law school i moved in with my parents for a year to save money. While it interrupted my social life, it was the responsible thing to do. I would have been included in this demographic of "basement dwelling losers" (even though i slept upstairs).

#12 | Posted by JOE at 2019-09-11 09:58 AM | Reply

"It's not like any of them are going to admit it."

Whoever smelt it dealt it.

#13 | Posted by Hagbard_Celine at 2019-09-11 10:29 AM | Reply | Funny: 1

The first gen to cackle laid the egg.

#14 | Posted by lfthndthrds at 2019-09-11 11:09 AM | Reply

Gen = hen

#15 | Posted by lfthndthrds at 2019-09-11 11:09 AM | Reply

And stoopid people can't figure out why women can't find a suitable husband. WTF over.

#16 | Posted by Sniper at 2019-09-11 11:30 AM | Reply

Well, I was one of these. You see, growing up, my parents were of the school of 20% down on a home.

Paying rent for an apartment was paying soneone else's mortgage.

So when I bought my first home with 20% down, I had respectable interest rate, a good amount of collateral over the 20 as I learned to save, and better for it.

Those that spent 7 years on their own still paid rent and had no savings.

I had a home, equity, and credit. I also looked better to women seeking a man.

Did they want renter or home owner? Sacrifice social time in my early twenties wasnt so painful after all.

#17 | Posted by Petrous at 2019-09-11 02:47 PM | Reply

An indictment of capitalism.

#18 | Posted by fresno500 at 2019-09-12 09:16 PM | Reply