Thursday, September 12, 2019

Apple (AAPL) unveiled its latest slate of iPhones on Tuesday at a widely-covered media event at its campus in Cupertino, California.

Alternate links: Google News | Twitter

The new lineup includes the iPhone 11, an entry-level device, as well as the higher-end iPhone 11 Pro and 11 Pro Max, which have four-figure price tags.

The iPhone 11 Pro starts at $1000 dollars USD: I want any color I want.

Get ready for Christmas, the little queen wants one. And she's planing how to manipulate you the moment she finds out about the new iPhone.

Comments

Why? Who on earth needs this?

#1 | Posted by nullifidian at 2019-09-12 06:06 PM | Reply

I'm waiting for the iPhone 33.3

I hear the camera will amazing!!!!

#2 | Posted by ClownShack at 2019-09-12 06:33 PM | Reply

Rule of thumb with Apple for even dedicated upgraders is every other year. From what I am seeing this is no different, the 11 it is simply not advanced enough over an XS to make it worth the upgrade.

Sure the extra camera is nice but unless you are a professional photographer the XS is "good enough" for most folks. If you are a professional why are you using an Iphone not a real camera?

Me I upgrade when my old one dies and buy a refurb so I am currently using a 7 i picked up for $289 and plan to stick with that until I drop it like I did with my 6S. No clue what phone I'll get at that point since I have no idea what will be out at that hopefully far in the future date.

#3 | Posted by TaoWarrior at 2019-09-12 07:39 PM | Reply

If you are a professional why are you using an Iphone not a real camera?

#4 | Posted by REDIAL at 2019-09-12 07:43 PM | Reply

"No kidding. I don't care how much built in PhotoShoppery it has, you're still using a lens the size of a pea.

#4 | POSTED BY REDIAL:

Exactly. When a phone camera can truly emulate a Canon L series lens, have optical zoom, and produce true bokeh, let me know.

#5 | Posted by goatman at 2019-09-12 07:59 PM | Reply

But you can't be the cool kid in school without the new iPhone!

#6 | Posted by ClownShack at 2019-09-12 09:30 PM | Reply

#6 Buy a cool case an use a glass screen protector and no one will no it's not the new one :P

#7 | Posted by TaoWarrior at 2019-09-13 06:30 AM | Reply

Based on what was listed...hell no.

Maybe I'm getting old and crotchety, but it annoys the schitt out of me that when I'm at events I no longer worry about somebody's head being in my way (I'm 6'4" so not much of a worry), but now it's a sea of cell phones in my way because every moron is holding theirs up instead of paying attention to what they're seeing.

I wish they'd put crappy cameras back into the phones so people would start paying attention again.

#8 | Posted by jpw at 2019-09-13 08:36 AM | Reply | Funny: 1

I'm using a refurbished iPhone 5c. Works fine for me, although thinking of upgrading to an SE.

#9 | Posted by sentinel at 2019-09-14 10:46 AM | Reply

It is incredible isn't it.

Imagine there are people that have'nt lived in a time when this didn't occur.

#10 | Posted by AndreaMackris at 2019-09-14 12:33 PM | Reply

If you are a professional why are you using an Iphone not a real camera?

Ease of use.
Distribution of Imagery.
Multi-function device.
Non-obvious.

There are plenty of reasons more and more photogs are using their phones.

#11 | Posted by AndreaMackris at 2019-09-14 12:36 PM | Reply

--Imagine there are people that haven't lived in a time when this didn't occur.

It's amazing. Imagine these people attending a university before cell phones, laptops, and the internet. They would be utterly helpless.

#12 | Posted by nullifidian at 2019-09-14 12:41 PM | Reply

I had an interview yesterday ...

Some young whippersnapper gave me a coding "problem".

Solved it in like 5minutes, O(N), then he had the audacity to claim it was incorrect.

So I rewote it for him in Javascript, and proved my solution worked with live data, right there in front of him. Then asked him where he got this problem and solution, off the Internet he said.

Heres' some kid pulling $150K a year asking interview questions, getting them off the internet.

The situation is worse than imagined.

#13 | Posted by AndreaMackris at 2019-09-14 12:51 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

"There are some situations where its not as nice, but the day of the average individual owning an SLR/DSLR are over.

#11 | POSTED BY ANDREAMACKRIS "

This is true, however a phone will never produce an image as good as a DSLR, especially for those who like to work with low fstops and like to control bokeh -- something a pea sized lens will never do. I understand there is now artificial bokeh, but it has a long way to go and is good in only the most simple applications.

I understand of course that more pixels is not necessarily a good thing (the lens is the ultimate determining factor in the quality of a picture) but with a good lens, it does matter. And whatever can be done in a phone can be multiplied many more times in the APS-C and full frame formats of DSLRs.

So yes, you are right that DSLRs are not as popular due to phones. However, a phone will never replace the quality of a DSLR until they figure out how to put good multi-element lenses in one. And that, of course, will never happen. A camera will always be able to do what a phone does except be portable

But I do like my Pixel 3 phone for the portability. And the IS technology has made a huge difference. I used to carry a Canon Rebel in my car all the time and took my 50D and lenses only for special shoots. Now I don't carry my Rebel any more.

#14 | Posted by goatman at 2019-09-14 12:52 PM | Reply

I went down to Ga Southern this week to recruit engineers. One of the things that I was sure to mention to every candidate is that, being a secure facility, there was limited amounts of time and locations where they would have access to a cell-phone that has a camera. Some of them took it in stride, some of them were uncomfortable but willing to accept not having a phone in their hands for 8 hours of a day.

One of them asked to be removed from consideration.

#15 | Posted by Avigdore at 2019-09-14 02:03 PM | Reply

#11 | Posted by AndreaMackris

I agree.

I personally love carrying my DSLR and likely will only grow more fond of it as I improve my lens collection and, eventually, replace my entry level with a full body camera.

But the lens upgrade is my priority right now as my skills have not caught up to the entry camera body's capabilities.

#16 | Posted by jpw at 2019-09-14 05:10 PM | Reply