Friday, September 13, 2019

Two parachutists in the skies over England had a close brush with U.S. fighter jets that roared under them during a jump earlier this year, U.K. government aviation officials said.

Comments

I once had a close encounter with a hot air balloon outside of Pensacola up past Ferry Pass, I had emerged from cloud cover and the balloon was about 100 yards away on my port side. After I passed them I turned around them so I wouldn't hit them with jet exhaust, but it looked like it was a wild ride for them. It didn't show up on radar and I had no warning that they were in the area.

Scared the crap out of both me and the balloonists, I sent the operator a case of beer as an apology, never heard back from them.

#1 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2019-09-13 02:32 PM | Reply

#1 2 years ago a hot air balloon landed in my back yard.

The operator said he had a clear line and he took it.

It was pretty cool.

#2 | Posted by JeffJ at 2019-09-13 02:44 PM | Reply

"#1 2 years ago a hot air balloon landed in my back yard.
The operator said he had a clear line and he took it.
It was pretty cool.

#2 | POSTED BY JEFFJ AT 2019-09-13 02:44 PM"

Yep, they have little choice.

My wife got me a hot air balloon ride for my 40th birthday. This was in Georgia. The ride was a lot longer than promised because of all the pine trees. We ended up landing in an apartment complex parking lot. Even so, it was an alost vertical drop between trees and the building. We landed pretty hard, but no one was hurt, or even came close to being hurt. It was exciting.

#3 | Posted by goatman at 2019-09-13 02:47 PM | Reply

#1 what speed were flying at?

Curious what the time was from seeing them to passing them.

#4 | Posted by jpw at 2019-09-13 04:38 PM | Reply

Knowing that parachuting activity is depicted on a chart, listed in a directory and listed in Notice To Airmen briefings the F-15's did not acquire all pertinent information about their intended flight.

#5 | Posted by LesWit at 2019-09-13 08:00 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

They were flying the "mach loop."

Did you ever fly it RoC?

#6 | Posted by madbomber at 2019-09-14 12:49 PM | Reply

Seems like part of the 'high' thrill seekers crave is in giving a middle finger to "This sheet could kill me, and "Look at me, y'all. I aint skeert".

Lost a friend to a chute failure about 2 yrs ago this month. He was a military jumper during Viet Nam and a rec jumper all his life. His sweetie said he would not admit he was too old, to out of shape to continue jumping. He told her he wasnt jumping any more, and he just spent his time at the 'zone' partying with friends. His lies were just another layer of pain for her when he died in his last jump.

#7 | Posted by oldwhiskeysour at 2019-09-14 01:07 PM | Reply

" His lies were just another layer of pain for her when he died in his last jump."

The jumps people die in are always their last it seems.

#8 | Posted by goatman at 2019-09-14 01:09 PM | Reply

No, the RAF sometimes allows airdales out of Lakenheath to fly Strike Eagles through the Machynlleth Loop, but I have flown Rainbow Canyon a couple dozen times here in So Cal. Same idea, but the weather is much better here.

This is pretty crazy in that the F-15s should have known to avoid a known parachuting area.

#9 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2019-09-14 01:40 PM | Reply

The following HTML tags are allowed in comments: a href, b, i, p, br, ul, ol, li and blockquote. Others will be stripped out. Participants in this discussion must follow the site's moderation policy. Profanity will be filtered. Abusive conduct is not allowed.

Anyone can join this site and make comments. To post this comment, you must sign it with your Drudge Retort username. If you can't remember your username or password, use the lost password form to request it.
Username: