Friday, September 13, 2019

The survey also revealed that even when families are able to sit down together for a meal, there is no shortage of distractions.

Comments

"There is evidence showing that stimulating conversation at mealtimes builds children's confidence and self-esteem and in turn actually boost academic performance." Dr. Papadopoulos explains. "In fact, they are beneficial to the whole families mental well-being, a time for everyone to unload. So it's a good idea to try and make them part of your weekly routine."

True, not speaking at dinner time is invalidating.

#1 | Posted by AndreaMackris at 2019-09-13 01:57 PM | Reply

My Dad told me that when he was a kid, at the dinner table the children were not allowed to speak unless spoken to.

Thankfully, he did not carry that tradition to our dinner table. We had a good dynamic. Lots of spontaneous conversation.

Sometimes I wonder if it is one of the reasons the kids in my family all get along with each other so well.

#2 | Posted by LampLighter at 2019-09-13 02:32 PM | Reply

My family encouraged speaking at dinner. In fact, we were required to. My sisters and I had to bring a new word to the dinner table every night, define it, and use it in a sentence. If it was a verb, we had to conjugate it.

When I got into HS and took latin, not only did I have to conjugate the verbs (as anyone who is familiar with a Romance language knows can be daunting) usually in present tense, but often in pluperfect, past, and other tenses. I had to give noun cases as well. My dad knew Latin very well, so I could not slide one past him.

TV was always off during a meal. No hats at the table. If the phone rang, it was ignored. We ate everything, which probably explains why I like everything as well.

Family dinners are so different now.

#3 | Posted by goatman at 2019-09-13 02:43 PM | Reply

"True, not speaking at dinner time is invalidating."

insight offered by some slob eating chips in front of their computer screen while posting on an anonymous blog

or do you just post your incessant drivel from the dinner table?

#4 | Posted by ChiefTutMoses at 2019-09-13 02:47 PM | Reply

""True, not speaking at dinner time is invalidating."

or do you just post your incessant drivel from the dinner table?

#4 | POSTED BY CHIEFTUTMOSES "

Why are you so hateful all the time? I mean, here is an apolitical thread and yet you have to turn it into hate.

What's wrong with you? Remember, you represent the left. And I for one, am glad they have you.

#5 | Posted by goatman at 2019-09-13 02:50 PM | Reply

Andrea, a mattress eats dinner alone, and gets validation by ----------- here.

#ThatsTheJoke

#6 | Posted by snoofy at 2019-09-13 02:55 PM | Reply

Rise above - I know it is hard and sometimes I fall into the trap when something is so blatantly BS. Viewing the other side's argument and responding with fact and sometimes opinion is the way to do it. AndreaMackris sometimes actually has points that requires a reply even on political topics.

In regard to the comment - the kind of posting I am talking about is also invalidating but we aren't children.

#7 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2019-09-13 03:08 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

"AndreaMackris sometimes actually has points that requires a reply even on political topics."

Mostly it's the opposite.

#8 | Posted by snoofy at 2019-09-13 03:10 PM | Reply

"Andrea, a mattress eats dinner alone, and gets validation by ----------- here.
#ThatsTheJoke

POSTED BY SNOOFY AT 2019-09-13 02:55 PM |"

That's kind of creepy you following him around and peeping in his windows.

#9 | Posted by goatman at 2019-09-13 03:14 PM | Reply

"Remember, you represent the left"

I do?

you are such a ------- cow!

just like mattress

and it's amusing that two of most incessant posters here, who post hundreds of inane comments, all day, every day, and interacting only with their screen, are lecturing anyone on the importance of face time

see what I mean

Brain Damaged

#10 | Posted by ChiefTutMoses at 2019-09-13 03:20 PM | Reply

"you are such a ------- cow!...

Brain Damaged

#10 | POSTED BY CHIEFTUTMOSES"

Profound.

Just as I said, and you underscore, you are a very hateful person. But better you than me.

"Why People Call Other People Names"

theconversation.com

It says a lot more about you and your emotional maturity and lack of self esteem than anything else.

#11 | Posted by goatman at 2019-09-13 03:24 PM | Reply

"Why People Call Other People Names"

quit spamming.

#12 | Posted by Alexandrite at 2019-09-13 03:34 PM | Reply

"It says a lot more about "

your posting history says everything I need to know about you

now ---- off and go pretend to know everything about something else

#13 | Posted by ChiefTutMoses at 2019-09-13 03:36 PM | Reply

And another troll joins in and craps on a non-political thread.

#14 | Posted by nullifidian at 2019-09-13 03:36 PM | Reply

""Why People Call Other People Names"
quit spamming.

#12 | POSTED BY ALEXANDRITE "

My daily stalker whose first post of the day is nipping at my heals.

Again.

You're going to have to stalk me alone today.

Bye, now.

#15 | Posted by goatman at 2019-09-13 03:37 PM | Reply

"your posting history says everything I need to know about you

#13 | POSTED BY CHIEFTUTMOSES "

Thank you!

#16 | Posted by goatman at 2019-09-13 03:38 PM | Reply

"So it's a good idea to try and make them part of your weekly routine."

I think people overvalue or at least misunderstand the "sitting around the dinner table" concept. It's become part of the romanticized idea of what modern family life should be like. What I do think is important is that families do have regular and consistent interactions with one another, a chance to engage in dialogue. But a family for whom meeting at dinner the same time every night is not feasible should not feel like they're doing some kind of damage to the family. The primary value of this happening at the dinner table is that you get a two for one benefit out of it. The benefits of conversation and interaction piggy-back on the need to eat.

#17 | Posted by Hagbard_Celine at 2019-09-13 03:54 PM | Reply

"And another troll joins in and craps on a non-political thread"

Political? No!

Personal. Yes!

let me reiterate

you people are so far gone.

#18 | Posted by ChiefTutMoses at 2019-09-13 03:54 PM | Reply

"let me reiterate

#18 | POSTED BY CHIEFTUTMOSES "

Let me reiterate: You are a very hateful person and I'm glad you root for the left and not the right.

#19 | Posted by goatman at 2019-09-13 04:21 PM | Reply

cell phones.

#20 | Posted by Tor at 2019-09-13 07:28 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Ann Coulter was once asked how she became a conservative and answered that when growing up and during dinner there were quite a few conservative viewpoints and discussions.
It's true that intellectual stimulation is contagious and supportive.

#21 | Posted by LesWit at 2019-09-13 07:51 PM | Reply

Nobody has time to talk while you are eating. Eat first talk later.

#22 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2019-09-13 08:00 PM | Reply

I thought trolls ate under bridges, not sitting around a dinner table. Huh, interesting.

#23 | Posted by chuffy at 2019-09-13 08:15 PM | Reply

I wish my family would shut up at the table, can't they see I am posting on the Drudge!

#24 | Posted by bored at 2019-09-13 09:06 PM | Reply

Frankly a lack of civility on topics like this is not a good thing. I don't care what you think of someone's views on politics and your general dislike for them it's no reason for a lack of civility all the time (and I am aware of who this is). The incessant name calling and insulting turns me off in general. ~ GalaxiePete

I concur .. but its easy for them to do, they really don't need to think ... just react to the fact that I posted something "triggers" their anger and aggression.

I find it fascinating ... which is why I stick around .... why some people get so angry with someone the have never met and has a different opinion is really telling of their own dysfunction.

I just mention a pretty invalidating situation, very apolitical, and look at the glorious responses ... .

Don't you just love Liberals Tolerance?

#25 | Posted by AndreaMackris at 2019-09-13 09:21 PM | Reply

Ya knowwwwwww... looking back ... I usually worked at least two jobs so my family dinners were often ships passing in the night affairs but Sunday we all sat at the table at the same time and got caught up on the week... and some fun and games... blue mashed potatoes ... everyone wearing fancy hats and shades at the table... or eating with screw drivers and pliers... you know cheap fun.

#26 | Posted by RightisTrite at 2019-09-14 04:57 AM | Reply

Bolsheviks and feminists (yet I repeat myself) have succeeded in deconstructing the nuclear family, which has been their objective all along. It's too white and Christian, so it must be destroyed!
"The nuclear family unit is an economic arrangement structured to maintain the ideological functions of Capitalism".
en.wikipedia.org
Having a family is also probably rayciss, sexist, and a signifier of huwhite nationalism etc, as well.

These people keep pushing and pushing and overplaying their hand, and have no idea the backlash which is coming.
>t. researcher of online extremism

#27 | Posted by berserkone at 2019-09-14 05:33 AM | Reply

>even when families are able to sit down together for a meal, there is no shortage of distractions
yeah, they're all normies who are swiping on, or staring into, their Alphabet Inc. or Apple fondle-slabs.
Destroy the modern world!

#28 | Posted by berserkone at 2019-09-14 05:36 AM | Reply

#11 | POSTED BY GOATMAN AT 2019-09-13 03:24 PM | FLAG: Whether or not someone does name calling and uses foul language [on a regular basis] pretty much defines one as either having class, or are just crass. Easy to figure out which category many of the libs/progs on this site are?

#29 | Posted by MSgt at 2019-09-15 12:23 PM | Reply

I still sleep with my hands safely outside the covers and I say my prayers before getting into bed every night, just like I give thanks before meals.

Also, flaming squiggly two-handed sword up the butt if you don't. Jesus will be wroth with you sinner. So cut that out.

#30 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2019-09-15 03:42 PM | Reply