Saturday, September 14, 2019

to be a parent is to be compromised. You pledge allegiance to justice for all, you swear that private attachments can rhyme with the public good, but when the choice comes down to your child or an abstraction - even the well-being of children you don't know - you'll betray your principles to the fierce unfairness of love.

Comments

Its a fascinating read of a parent going through the struggle of raising a child today.

We decided to cut down on the political talk around them. It wasn't that we wanted to hide the truth or give false comfort"they wouldn't have let us even if we'd tried. We just wanted them to have their childhood without bearing the entire weight of the world, including the new president we had allowed into office. We owed our children a thousand apologies. The future looked awful, and somehow we expected them to fix it. Did they really have to face this while they were still in elementary school?

#1 | Posted by AndreaMackris at 2019-09-14 03:07 PM | Reply

I read this whole article a couple hours ago. Fascinating reading - parents slowly going through much of the exact same falling out with the left I myself have had, only because of raising children. The new "wokeness" doing so much to divide rather than unify people, particularly along racial lines.

The most frustrating part to me, one people on the right will probably (though maybe they can) be unable to understand and people more concerned with their own tribalism and partisanship on the left refuse to understand, is that economically I'm still essentially a socialist to an extent. I believe in universal healthcare, paying for school through a bachelor's degree or training a trade, green energy, etc. But since I oppose all the social wokeness, the moralizing, the dividing people though intersectional lines that quickly devolve to oppression olympics, I'm no longer pure enough for the left. Even though I oppose those things because they're dividing the populace that has to unite to fight the oligarchs in power. Most won't even discuss ideas.

Strangely, far left as I am economically, I can still debate it with the right though. I want those things as investment - universal healthcare to take the onus off businesses that now pay the lions share of insurance, a hidden cost that makes our employees more expensive on the world market. Same for college or a trade - invest that money in people and make it back from a stronger tax base. Green energy as a form of national security, weakening the hold of the Middle East on our oil based economy. They may not agree, but we can respectfully debate it for hours on end, and it's out of such debate solutions are found. There's no respect debating this new left. Dogmatic and religious, incapable of understanding opposing ideas, they seem to attack all disagreements like the superstitious inquisition of centuries gone by.

#2 | Posted by zeropointnrg at 2019-09-14 03:35 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 4

When the Culture War Comes for the Kids

Quesion: How long as corporate advertisers and marketing efforts been targeting kids?

Answer: Forever

In fact, Ralph Nader calls these corporate marketers who target children "electronic child molesters".

#3 | Posted by PinchALoaf at 2019-09-14 03:54 PM | Reply

Don't take advice on raising your children from a trust fund baby.

#4 | Posted by truthhurts at 2019-09-14 04:45 PM | Reply

Story about raising kids in NYC. I'm liberal as they used to come but god damn some of these morons on the so-called left are just horrid. I'm hard pressed to call them liberal. Their thought processes seem cult like.

I live in a community that has a tiger mom atmosphere but not to that extent, yet. I worry for my 4 year old.

#5 | Posted by dibblda at 2019-09-15 02:40 AM | Reply

The culture war is here. It has been here for several years now.

#6 | Posted by Sniper at 2019-09-15 04:02 PM | Reply

This is what happens when you over think "equality". Meritocracy is the only way. I'm only interested in school systems that perform. If that school is majority black, that's where I want my kid to go.

One of the main reasons I bought my house, was the school system, which is one of the best, if not the best public school systems in Forsyth County NC.

#7 | Posted by boaz at 2019-09-15 05:59 PM | Reply

This article also made me glad I dont live in NY..

#8 | Posted by boaz at 2019-09-15 05:59 PM | Reply

Who is the author behind this piece which is advocating for the dissolution of the nuclear family?
en.wikipedia.org
"Their father's background was Jewish..."
Every. Single. Time.

#9 | Posted by berserkone at 2019-09-16 02:51 AM | Reply

When was the last time we've seen, say, someone of Eastern Orthodox stock pushing for society-wrecking ideas? Anyone?

#10 | Posted by berserkone at 2019-09-16 02:53 AM | Reply

>To be a parent is to be compromised...The organized pathologies of adults, including yours"sometimes known as politics"find a way to infect the world of children.
Holeeey fug.
>Stop being so privileged and huwhite, goys - guys! I mean, xirs!

#11 | Posted by berserkone at 2019-09-16 02:57 AM | Reply

Are parents in africa "infecting" their children with their culture? those in isntreal "infecting" their children with judaism? Does this street go both ways, or only one?

#12 | Posted by berserkone at 2019-09-16 02:59 AM | Reply

This mischling was only pushed out because he's in competition with others who are of more pure stock from a certain cosmopolitan tribe. In any case, it's on him for residing in an urban death-trap like NYC. Hopefully next time the false-flag attacks land on top of his house.

#13 | Posted by berserkone at 2019-09-16 03:13 AM | Reply

That's cool: an article finally tackles how abortion not only kills children but leads to more child abuse for those who aren't aborted (but their parents were involved in a previous abortion)!

Ohhhh.

Sorry, this article is about how drag queen story hours groom kids for child molestation.

Ohhhhh, crap. I need to read the article.

Public schools? Ok. Not quite as urgent but it matters.

#14 | Posted by drivelikejehu at 2019-09-16 09:35 AM | Reply

So who's going to chime in saying corporate advertising/marketing boardrooms are filled with Prius driving/recycling-conscious liberals? - #3 | Posted by PinchALoaf at 2019-09-14 03:54 PM
The media is who.
www.businesspundit.com

#15 | Posted by Avigdore at 2019-09-16 12:01 PM | Reply

The whole time I was reading that, I thought it was a prequel to Catcher in the Rye about the kid's parents. The whole thing reeks of entitlement and cluelessness, yet the parents think it's interesting enough to tell the world. When in actuality, it's about as lame of a story as you can find and only serves to illustrate how out of touch the people with money are when it comes to raising kids.

#16 | Posted by humtake at 2019-09-16 12:26 PM | Reply