Sunday, September 15, 2019

African swine fever is decimating China's pig population. The country's stock fell 21%, or by nearly 73 million pigs, from March 2018 through April 2019, according to official statistics. Unofficially, however, industry experts whisper about slides of more than 40% to 50%. That would be comparable to wiping out all the pigs in the U.S. and Europe combined. For a country that derives most of its protein consumption from pork, this is a problem.

Comments

China won't win this battle.

#1 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2019-09-15 03:54 PM | Reply

"China won't win this battle.

#1 | POSTED BY SHEEPLESCHISM"

"Well, you are a moron who repeats what Fox News tells you to.

Idiot"

Speaksoftly

#2 | Posted by goatman at 2019-09-15 03:58 PM | Reply

"China won't win this battle.

#1 | POSTED BY SHEEPLESCHISM"

You're right. Trump definitely is holding the trump hand in this card game. We can live without cheap Chinese ---- (although we will have to put up with whining lefties who have to pay a buck more for a toaster) but they can't live (literally!) without food. But before they starve to death, they will revolt.

#3 | Posted by goatman at 2019-09-15 04:00 PM | Reply

My Chinese friends at work mentioned this.

China is issuing "ration" chits for pork at a particular price. Then allowing "rich" people to purchase at inflated/gouging price.

#4 | Posted by AndreaMackris at 2019-09-15 04:04 PM | Reply

#5 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2019-09-15 04:24 PM | Reply

"One thing about China I'll never forget is how they hang raw meat in the outdoor market, in the sun, all day, covered in flies.

#5 | POSTED BY SHEEPLESCHISM "

I've seen that in the middle east when it's over 100 degrees.

Hell, I can see that 160 miles from my house in Mexican meat markets. I'll never forget sometning I saw 20 or so years ago there. It was an open meat market and I saw something unidentifiable on the butcher block that looked like it was wiggling or moving. The butcher came up and chased off hundreds, maybe thousands of flies off of a huge bloody liver, then commenced to slice some for a customer, weighing it in the bloody cradle of a hanging scale. That image is still burned into my brain.

#6 | Posted by goatman at 2019-09-15 04:30 PM | Reply

But before they starve to death, they will revolt.

#3 | POSTED BY GOATMAN AT 2019-09-15 04:00 PM | FLAG:

45 million dead from ideological induced famine did not cause a revolt.

#7 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2019-09-15 04:32 PM | Reply

"45 million dead from ideological induced famine did not cause a revolt.

POSTED BY SITZKRIEG "

I presume you are talking about Mao's cultural revolution?

Things are different now. People are more savvy. And in spite of China's fervent attempts to stifle news from the outside, it still gets through. They know how the other half live. Indeed, Chinese are becoming more westernized. They are beginning to really like the trappings of a capitalist society, not least of which is better and more food.

#8 | Posted by goatman at 2019-09-15 04:38 PM | Reply

No, he's talking about the Great Leap Forward.

#9 | Posted by nullifidian at 2019-09-15 04:39 PM | Reply

"ideological induced famine"

That describes all modern famine, by the way.
There's enough food for everyone.
There's merely no political will to feed everyone.

#10 | Posted by snoofy at 2019-09-15 04:45 PM | Reply

#9 -- I stand corrected, but I stand by my point. The Chinese are fatter (both literally and metaphorically) than they were 50 years ago. They do not want to go backwards, whereas this wasn't an issue 50 years ago because there was nothing behind them then.

#11 | Posted by goatman at 2019-09-15 04:45 PM | Reply

I told you this when I first joined. Now it seems that even the brain dead Liberals understand it.

#12 | Posted by iragoldberg at 2019-09-15 07:59 PM | Reply

Pork burgers are a tasty alternative to beef burgers. Add some diced scallions, a little garlic, a bit of soy sauce, some ginger if you like that, perhaps some cilantro, etc. Call them anti-commie burgers. Enjoy.

#13 | Posted by nullifidian at 2019-09-15 08:09 PM | Reply

#31 -- I often do half pork half beef burgers. Never done all pork, though.

#14 | Posted by goatman at 2019-09-15 08:13 PM | Reply

I often do half pork half beef burgers.

I do 3/4 lean beef and 1/4 minced bacon.

#15 | Posted by REDIAL at 2019-09-15 08:24 PM | Reply

"I do 3/4 lean beef and 1/4 minced bacon.

#15 | POSTED BY REDIAL"

That sounds good, except I usually eat my burgers med rare -- even the pork/beef ones. Would the bacon get cooked enough on med rare?

#16 | Posted by goatman at 2019-09-15 08:26 PM | Reply

Would the bacon get cooked enough on med rare?

Probably not much different than just ground pork. Been smoked and all.

Hasn't killed me yet.

#17 | Posted by REDIAL at 2019-09-15 08:32 PM | Reply

"Probably not much different than just ground pork. Been smoked and all.
Hasn't killed me yet.

#17 | POSTED BY REDIAL"

It's hard to dice raw bacon. Perhaps I'll put it through the meat grinder and try that. It does sound good.

#18 | Posted by goatman at 2019-09-15 08:42 PM | Reply

I'm probably more mincing than dicing. A half hour in the freezer makes it easier.

#19 | Posted by REDIAL at 2019-09-15 08:55 PM | Reply

Buy a meat grinder, I usually do 50% sirloin and mix 50% 85/15 turkey into it and no one can tell the difference, 85/15 can be consumed over 140 degrees F.

#20 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2019-09-15 09:35 PM | Reply

#20 I have the meat grinder attachment for my Kitchen Aid. I love it. It can also be used to make pasta with one of the many included extruder dies. It's like playing with Play Doh again! LOL

#21 | Posted by goatman at 2019-09-15 09:38 PM | Reply

I have the meat grinder attachment for my Kitchen Aid.

Me too. Some days you just like to play with knives. :-)

#22 | Posted by REDIAL at 2019-09-15 09:41 PM | Reply

Don't get me started on knives.

I have been slowly replacing my very old German knives with Japanese knives. I am partial to Shun (google them) Their proprietary steel allows them to be sharpened to a 16 degree angle vs the 23 degree of German knives. Problem with that is that they are very brittle and chip very easily, but man, are they sharp. I have one that is a collectors edition of which only 3,000 were made. It's Damascus steel with copper in between their proprietary steel. Of course the steel is on the cutting edge. It is the most beautiful knife I owned until...

...a month ago. I had read about this knife maker in Ireland named Fingal Fergusun. He handmakes knives and no two are alike. He uses the finest materials. When I heard about him three years ago, his web site said there was a two year waiting period for his knives. I put my name on the list. Well it was actually three years later, about two months ago I got an email from him. His selection is very limited for obvious reasons, but I found one I liked. The handle is poplar burl and 7,000 year old bog oak. The ring at the end of the handle (I forget what that part is called) is sterling silver. I got it in the mail about a month ago. ------ cost me 280 Euros (about $338 when I bought it) but it is a work of art. And it is razor sharp. I can hold a piece of paper by the corner and the knife will slice it in half.

I was allowed two choices, but I couldn't afford two, so I gave one of the options to my son. He loves his as well.

If you are a patient man, get on his waiting list. Even if you aren't, get on it anyway. When your name comes up, you are not under any obligation and you can decline. There are hundreds of other people waiting.

www.fingalfergusonknives.com

#23 | Posted by goatman at 2019-09-15 10:07 PM | Reply

Redial, if you go to the "sold knives" in the link I sent you, there is a knife very similar to the one I bought. It's not the same one, but it's the closest on those. It's the last one on the second row. If nothing else, check out the rest of them. The man is a true artisan. I am more than pleased with mine and even at the price, I did not have buyer's remorse.

#24 | Posted by goatman at 2019-09-15 10:15 PM | Reply

We seem to be on the same path. I have several 30 year old Zwilling 3 stars and just got a Shun.

#25 | Posted by REDIAL at 2019-09-15 10:16 PM | Reply

My old ones are Henkels and Wusthof, but they are becoming my camping knives as I build up my Shun collection. Actually it is almost complete. I want a nice Chinese style cleaver (Shun has a lovely, but expensive one) and a filet knife. I don't use a filet knife much, so it'll be my last to purchase. But I do love a nice Chinese cleaver.

#26 | Posted by goatman at 2019-09-15 10:22 PM | Reply

I have the Kitchen Aid ice cream attachment.

#27 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2019-09-15 10:43 PM | Reply

I use my Henkels 12" Chef knife for a cleaver. :-)

Mom was born in Finland so I have a lot of Rapala fillet blades.

#28 | Posted by REDIAL at 2019-09-15 10:48 PM | Reply

I was just looking over the Ferguson web page and on a whim went to "waiting list". Apparently he shut it down about 20 months ago as it had grown to a 6 year wait. As I said, i got on it three years ago and was told it was a two year wait. I'm glad I got on it when I did. My Ferguson knife is heirloom quality. I love art, (right, SS?) and I collect it in unconventional forms. My Ferguson knife is one of them.

#29 | Posted by goatman at 2019-09-15 10:54 PM | Reply

"so I have a lot of Rapala fillet blades.

#28 | POSTED BY REDIAL "

I am not familiar with those. I'm going to go google it

#30 | Posted by goatman at 2019-09-15 11:09 PM | Reply

I am not familiar with those. I'm going to go google it

Don't bother... they've gone weird with cordless electric stuff. Mine are just reindeer bone handled steel. Super thin blades.

#31 | Posted by REDIAL at 2019-09-15 11:35 PM | Reply

I see that. But there was still quite a few conventional knives and reasonably priced. I may have to get one of those to fill the filet knife vacuum in my collection.

#32 | Posted by goatman at 2019-09-15 11:37 PM | Reply

Don't get me started on knives.
I have been slowly replacing my very old German knives with Japanese knives.

#23 | POSTED BY GOATMAN AT 2019-09-15 10:07 PM | FLAG:

Global. G-2 8" Chef's Knife. Japanese made, all 1 piece forged, and flawless. I read about it in Bordain's Kitchen Confidential. It's better than all of my custom damascus knives. They are prettier. It's better at everything. It's made for commercial kitchen use. With a simple hand sharpener and stainless honing stick, I haven't needing a professional sharpener in 4 years.

#33 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2019-09-16 09:47 AM | Reply

Under $100, on Amazon Prime.

#34 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2019-09-16 09:47 AM | Reply

Same thing in Korea. I'll never forget being in Pusan and seeing a vendor hanging a freshly caught Sting Ray Up, for sale in the hot sun. And yes, it smelled like it looked.

#35 | Posted by boaz at 2019-09-16 10:54 AM | Reply

#23 | POSTED BY GOATMAN AT 2019-09-15 10:07 PM | FLAG: Personally a fan of the Shun knives for our food preparation. Like you, I've a mixture of them, ZWILLING J.A. Henckels 4 Star, and A.G Russell knives.

#36 | Posted by MSgt at 2019-09-16 02:22 PM | Reply

#23 | Posted by goatman

Excellent post.

I want but will never get. :-(

Waiting list is like 6-7 years.... LOL

#37 | Posted by J_Tremain at 2019-09-16 10:49 PM | Reply

#37 and I see they closed the waiting list since it got too long. Still, keep an eye on it -- he may reopen it. I must have got on the tail end of his enterprise.

When I got on the list, they said a 2 year wait. Ended up being 3 years.

#38 | Posted by goatman at 2019-09-16 10:51 PM | Reply

I can appreciate the beauty but to my mind I'll feel to guilty. I use normal ------ knives for the kitchen you get online. I sharpen them until either knife is dead or I am. For the kitchen that's good enough for me.

My interest is in fighting knives, swords and machetes... for cutting up dudes. I don't always carry a gun (I don't have a carry permit and I don't feel threatened) but I always carry a knife or three.

#39 | Posted by J_Tremain at 2019-09-16 10:55 PM | Reply

What I'm saying is I am not a good enough cook to justify purchasing a Rolls-Royce of a knife. I'll just be lying to myself.

I am a good enough fighter to justify that price for a fighting knife however.

#40 | Posted by J_Tremain at 2019-09-16 10:57 PM | Reply

This is where I get my kitchen stuff from:

www.daraz.pk

No comparison to GOATEE's Irish guy.... :-(

#41 | Posted by J_Tremain at 2019-09-16 10:59 PM | Reply

I am a good enough fighter to justify that price for a fighting knife however.

Then again, I'd rather make my own. LOL

#42 | Posted by J_Tremain at 2019-09-16 11:09 PM | Reply

In fact, I was about to turn these ----- scissors into two "throat slashers".

Just deciding on the kind of handle...

i.postimg.cc