Monday, September 16, 2019

Ric Ocasek, the idiosyncratic singer and guitarist for the Cars and hit-making album producer, died on Sunday in his New York City apartment. He was 75. ... Beginning with the Cars' self-titled debut in 1978, Ocasek established himself as a stoic frontman with a sense of humor and melodrama on songs like "My Best Friend's Girl," "You're All I've Got Tonight," and "Good Times Roll." As a member of the Cars -- he wrote nearly every tune the band recorded -- Ocasek helped kickstart the New Wave movement by pinning his disaffected vocals against herky-jerky rhythm guitar, dense keyboards and dancefloor-ready beats, and as one of the group's lead vocalists, alongside bassist Benjamin Orr, he sang the hits "Shake It Up" and "You Might Think."

Comments

:-(

#1 | Posted by AndreaMackris at 2019-09-15 09:16 PM | Reply

Damn. Dude had a unique voice and style.

#2 | Posted by goatman at 2019-09-15 09:24 PM | Reply

Finally reunited with Benjamin Orr. RIP- both of them.

#3 | Posted by NerfHerder at 2019-09-15 09:38 PM | Reply

I saw them somewhere around '79 or '80 at the Hampton Coliseum. I'm so glad I did, man what a band.

What a sound...totally new and unique. quirky. off-centered. awesome.

#4 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2019-09-15 10:14 PM | Reply

Man, this guy had some smoking hot girlfriends/wives.

#5 | Posted by kudzu at 2019-09-16 09:12 AM | Reply

Ufck you 2019!

#6 | Posted by Nixon at 2019-09-16 09:15 AM | Reply

They couldnt come close to matching that first album, loved Elliot Easton on guitar, preferred Orr on vocals, but it was Ric who wrote everything. RIP

#7 | Posted by CrisisStills at 2019-09-16 09:30 AM | Reply

The use of Moving in Stereo in "Fast Times at Ridgemont High" was epic.

#8 | Posted by JeffJ at 2019-09-16 09:39 AM | Reply

Seems like stars are dropping like flies. Making me feel old. I enjoyed the Cars and his vocals. RIP.

#9 | Posted by danni at 2019-09-16 09:41 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

#9 - the reign of the baby boomer is coming to an end.

#10 | Posted by kudzu at 2019-09-16 10:04 AM | Reply

--Seems like stars are dropping like flies.

That's because the supply of so-called "stars" vastly exceeds the demand.

#11 | Posted by nullifidian at 2019-09-16 10:21 AM | Reply

Of course Ric was a legend- he was born in Baltimore ;-)

#12 | Posted by NerfHerder at 2019-09-16 10:25 AM | Reply

If I was making the soundtrack of my high school years from 1982-85, The Cars would be the first band selected. Such irresistible pop hooks.

"But you kept it going, 'til the sun fell down. You kept it ... going."

After he married a supermodel, Ocasek was also a role model for funny-looking, lanky dudes everywhere.

#13 | Posted by rcade at 2019-09-16 11:07 AM | Reply

My fav cars lyric....

She's so beautiful now, she don't wear her shoes...

#14 | Posted by kudzu at 2019-09-16 11:41 AM | Reply

Who's gonna pay attention, to your dreams?
And who's gonna plug their ears, when you scream?

#15 | Posted by johnny_hotsauce at 2019-09-16 12:18 PM | Reply

And yet Keith Richards still walks the earth.

RIP Ric...

#16 | Posted by catdog at 2019-09-16 12:59 PM | Reply

Goodnight Ric. Thanks for playing.

#17 | Posted by lee_the_agent at 2019-09-16 01:09 PM | Reply

I had no idea he was that old. That means he was well past the age most rock stars are when starting out. The Cars truly did shake it up, giving weird kids like me a fun band to idolize and something new to listen to on the radio.

Just one more thing, Ric: When the undertakers prepare your body for visitation, remember... let them brush your rock & roll hair.

#18 | Posted by cbob at 2019-09-16 01:20 PM | Reply

And yet Keith Richards still walks the earth.

#16 | Posted by catdog

Funny meme about Keith Richards:

me.me

#19 | Posted by AMERICANUNITY at 2019-09-16 01:21 PM | Reply

Get used to it.

From that article:

"Behold the killing fields that lie before us: Bob Dylan (78 years old); Paul McCartney (77); Paul Simon (77) and Art Garfunkel (77); Carole King (77); Brian Wilson (77); Mick Jagger (76) and Keith Richards (75); Joni Mitchell (75); Jimmy Page (75) and Robert Plant (71); Ray Davies (75); Roger Daltrey (75) and Pete Townshend (74); Roger Waters (75) and David Gilmour (73); Rod Stewart (74); Eric Clapton (74); Debbie Harry (74); Neil Young (73); Van Morrison (73); Bryan Ferry (73); Elton John (72); Don Henley (72); James Taylor (71); Jackson Browne (70); Billy Joel (70); and Bruce Springsteen (69, but turning 70 next month)."

#20 | Posted by chuffy at 2019-09-16 01:28 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

...and RIP Mr. Ocasek. I still play your records on my turntable.

#21 | Posted by chuffy at 2019-09-16 01:30 PM | Reply

Ric Ocasek is the only celebrity I've ever met, past or present, that remembered my name and would say hello when we passed each other on the street. I'm not saying we were friends or that he knew anything else about me, he was just a dude from the neighborhood. I met him because a woman who has lived in my building for thirty years and knows almost everybody in the neighborhood introduced us one day when he stopped to say hello when we were outside talking. Our schedules used to align a few years back so I'd see him maybe once a month, but it's probably been a year since the last time I saw him. RIP.

#22 | Posted by Hagbard_Celine at 2019-09-16 01:30 PM | Reply

Well Hagbard isn't an easy name to forget.
Big deal....

His supermodel wife knows my name!

#23 | Posted by 101Chairborne at 2019-09-16 01:42 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

"His supermodel wife knows my name!"

You sly dog. I never met her. Won't lie and say that once I met him I was just hoping for the opportunity. My wife and daughter met her several years ago. It's become a running joke at my house that I'm still jealous about it.

#24 | Posted by Hagbard_Celine at 2019-09-16 01:45 PM | Reply

"Well Hagbard isn't an easy name to forget."

My name is practically the Italian version of John Smith, it's that ubiquitous in NYC. Works out in my favor because there are several high profile people who share my name that pushes any potential google searches for me back past the tenth page. If after meeting me you only remember I have a generic white guy name you'll probably guess right in two chances.

#25 | Posted by Hagbard_Celine at 2019-09-16 01:48 PM | Reply

Ric was a boomer, not a gen X'er, who made it big 41 years ago. He was 34 when THE CARS' debut album dropped in '78. He was in his 30's and 40's during their hey day in the 80's. If you look at old photos of Ric and his new model wife, Ric looks old next to his still baby cheeked Paulina. They married in '89. She's 54 now to his 75.

All that to say this: Paulina had announced earlier in 2019, that she was divorcing Ric. They were separated when Ric died last Sunday afternoon.

Ric obviously too old to be addicted to drugs, probably died of a broken heart.

Or did Paulina (54) find another younger man and was going to take Ric for half of everything he worked for, including ownership of the entire CARS song catalog? Ric also was a rich producer, having produced several successful bands like WHEEZER.

OR did he just die naturally like an old man of 75? Maybe Paulina was on top of Ric, playing "Hide the Sausage" when he blew a gasket?

We'll know soon.

In the meantime, RIP Ric. Only good memories.

#26 | Posted by Goose_Boils at 2019-09-16 02:35 PM | Reply

Wait, Ric married Paulina in 1988, when he was 45 and she was only 22 years old!

No wonder everyone flipped out when they married in the 80's. He was stealing the cradle.

LMAO!

#27 | Posted by Goose_Boils at 2019-09-16 02:40 PM | Reply

#20 | POSTED BY CHUFFY AT 2019-09-16 01:28 PM | FLAG: | NEWSWORTHY 2

Don't forget Ian Hunter, who is on tour with the reunited Mott the Hoople. Ian is 80!

#28 | Posted by cbob at 2019-09-16 03:50 PM | Reply