Monday, September 16, 2019

Purdue Pharma, the drug manufacturer accused of triggering America's epidemic of opioid addiction through its sale of the profitable but highly addictive painkiller OxyContin, filed for bankruptcy Sunday. The Chapter 11 bankruptcy filing is expected to trigger the ultimate demise of a company that sold a fraction of the opioid prescriptions in the United States but nonetheless is most closely identified with the epidemic because of its pioneering role in narcotic pain pill sales.

Comments

The Chapter 11 filing on Sunday in White Plains, New York, is designed to short-circuit more than 2,000 lawsuits against Purdue and its owners, the billionaire Sackler family. The settlement calls for the Sacklers to hand over Purdue to a trust controlled by the states, cities and counties that have sued to recoup billions of dollars they spent battling opioid addictions and overdoses.

Officials originally envisioned raising as much as $12 billion with the plan, which is backed by more than two dozen U.S. states and territories, along with many cities and counties that sued Purdue. In an emailed statement TKTK, Purdue officials reduced the potential settlement amount to more than $10 billion.

The Sacklers have guaranteed to pay a minimum of $3 billion as part of the settlement, with most of the sum generated by selling Purdue's U.K.-based drugmaker Mundipharma.

#1 | Posted by tonyroma at 2019-09-15 11:34 PM | Reply

They made billions on Obama's watch. Fact.

#2 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2019-09-15 11:40 PM | Reply

The thread's been up for 10 minutes and no Rush Limbaugh jokes yet? Someone is slipping.

#3 | Posted by goatman at 2019-09-15 11:42 PM | Reply

They made billions on Obama's watch. Fact.

#2 | POSTED BYSHEEPLESCHISM

The despair that was created in the first place was on Bush's watch ...

- 9/11
- Medicare Part D
- Wall Street Collapse/Great Recession

Especially the housing bubble burst and the Wall Street meltdown that resulted in ordinary people having their home values crash causing underwater mortgages that they would never be able to pay off -- while, of course, losing their jobs, losing their savings and retirement pensions ... it's no wonder people turned to opoiods 2009 thru 2017.

#4 | Posted by PinchALoaf at 2019-09-15 11:54 PM | Reply

#4 | POSTED BY PINCHALOAF

"Aw shucks, now. everybody settle down. I'll be at mah new beach mansion."

#5 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2019-09-16 12:10 AM | Reply

""Boo hoo hoo. I have no coping skills, no ninja skills, no nunchuck skills. I have to take opioids. Help me Obama!"

And SheepleSchism makes fun of them.
#MAGA

#6 | Posted by snoofy at 2019-09-16 12:51 AM | Reply

#6 | POSTED BY SNOOFY

They made billions on Obama's watch. Fact.
#2 | POSTED BY SHEEPLESCHISM

#7 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2019-09-16 12:55 AM | Reply

"Veterans' rate of overdose deaths from all opioids increased by 65 percent from 2010 to 2016. labblog.uofmhealth.org
And SheepleSchism makes fun of them.
#MAGA

#6 | POSTED BY SNOOFY AT 2019-09-16 12:51 AM "

I'm an honorably discharged veteran and I approve of his message.

Lighten up, snoofy. Or join and become a veteran, then you may speak as if you really care.

#8 | Posted by goatman at 2019-09-16 12:56 AM | Reply

"I'm an honorably discharged veteran and I approve of his message."

Okay, but he doesn't need your approval. Nobody does.

#9 | Posted by snoofy at 2019-09-16 12:57 AM | Reply

"They made billions on Obama's watch. Fact.
#2 | POSTED BY SHEEPLESCHISM"

Was that wrong?
Did something bad happen on Obama's watch, when weaklings killed themselves?
Because making billions off the backs of the weak is what Capitalism is all about.

#10 | Posted by snoofy at 2019-09-16 12:59 AM | Reply

"Okay, but he doesn't need your approval. Nobody does.

#9 | POSTED BY SNOOFY "

Nor does he need your disapproval, Mr. Double Standard.

#11 | Posted by goatman at 2019-09-16 01:01 AM | Reply

"Okay, but he doesn't need your approval. Nobody does.

#9 | POSTED BY SNOOFY "

Nothing is more boorish than a none veteran speaking for veterans. If you care so much for them, go do some volunteer work at the VA hospital.

#12 | Posted by goatman at 2019-09-16 01:02 AM | Reply

"Nor does he need your disapproval, Mr. Double Standard."

Doesn't even make sense, Goatman.

#13 | Posted by snoofy at 2019-09-16 01:03 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

"Nothing is more boorish than a none veteran speaking for veterans."

I'm not speaking for veterans.
I'm speaking about dead veterans, or as you like to call them, cowards and -------.

#14 | Posted by snoofy at 2019-09-16 01:03 AM | Reply

""Nor does he need your disapproval, Mr. Double Standard."
Doesn't even make sense, Goatman.

#13 | POSTED BY SNOOFY "

Of course it doesn't -- to you. Because if you allowed it to, your game playing, faux worries for the vets head would explode with the paradox.

#15 | Posted by goatman at 2019-09-16 01:05 AM | Reply

"I'm not speaking for veterans.

#14 | POSTED BY SNOOFY"

You got that right.

And I never called dead ones cowards and -------, liar.

Why can't you be honest? Serious question.

#16 | Posted by goatman at 2019-09-16 01:06 AM | Reply

"Show you care for vets by doing more than shamelessly using them to advance your hyperpartisan --------."

Sorry, how did I shamelessly use vets, exactly?
And what's the agenda I'm advancing?

#17 | Posted by snoofy at 2019-09-16 01:07 AM | Reply

"And I never called dead ones cowards and -------, liar."

But you're just mincing words, after you approved of this, about veterans who overdosed on opiates: "Boo hoo hoo. I have no coping skills, no ninja skills, no nunchuck skills. I have to take opioids. Help me Obama!"

#18 | Posted by snoofy at 2019-09-16 01:09 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

"#18 | POSTED BY SNOOFY AT 2019-09-16 01:09 AM "

I asked you a question.

Why can't you be honest?

#19 | Posted by goatman at 2019-09-16 01:10 AM | Reply

"Sorry, how did I shamelessly use vets, exactly?
And what's the agenda I'm advancing?

#17 | POSTED BY SNOOFY"

Post 6

Fight the right wing.

#20 | Posted by goatman at 2019-09-16 01:11 AM | Reply

Snoofy, why can't you be honest? Why do you have to lie and put words into people's mouths?

#21 | Posted by goatman at 2019-09-16 01:13 AM | Reply

Well, looks like snoofy has run off again as he always does when he is called out on his lies. I guess I'll just have to wait until tomorrow to continue holding his feet to the fire for his cowardly lying.

#22 | Posted by goatman at 2019-09-16 01:20 AM | Reply

They made billions on Obama's watch. Fact.

#2 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2019-09-15 11:40 PM | Reply

Deflection noted comrade.

#23 | Posted by Nixon at 2019-09-16 06:58 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

This is the poster child for the 'Murican Way.

1. Know your product does actual harm.

2. Hide it.

3. Make billions off of it.

4. Pass those billions along to management and shareholders.

5. When the ---- hits the fan file for bankruptcy and no one is held accountable.

6. Lather. Rinse. Repeat.

Just waiting for the bankruptcy judge and trustees to approve billions in management bonuses for their "leadership" during this period of troubles.

#24 | Posted by Nixon at 2019-09-16 07:01 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Due to individuals whom I've decided to plonk, I can only see 10 posts out of 24 currently listed as I write. In the posts I see, not one person, especially not myself who initiated this thread, has tied partisan politics to Purdue Pharma's issues, yet I see numerous responses or reposts invoking Obama.

This is not an Obama issue, it's a public health issue and a capitalism/marketing issue that has affected American individuals, families, and devastated communities all over this nation. I know from personal experience that OxyContin can be a veritable miracle drug for many dealing with chronic pain issues that allows people to more fully live and function pain-free. OxyContin was also apparently marketed in a manner that facilitated its misuse, abuse, and overuse simply to create windfall profits for its manufacturers. And now, as Nixon notes, these same people are using the law to protect the fortunes they've accumulated in the marketplace from use to fairly compensate victims for the damage their intended actions caused.

That is what deserves discussion and it's (the knee jerk, zero-sum rigidity of certain posters who are incapable of discussing issues outside of the ideological/political prisms they project onto every single issue as their expressed raison d'tre) both sad and endemic of the cesspool of bitter partisan bile that these posters favor as a matter of their very presence here.

#25 | Posted by tonyroma at 2019-09-16 07:30 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 3

They made billions on Obama's watch. Fact.

#2 | POSTED BY SHEEPLESCHISM

You're a worthless POS hack. Fact.

#26 | Posted by jpw at 2019-09-16 08:23 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

^savage.

#27 | Posted by GOnoles92 at 2019-09-16 08:24 AM | Reply

I think it's time to put the faces of Purdue family members on a deck of cards.

#28 | Posted by Zed at 2019-09-16 08:58 AM | Reply | Funny: 1 | Newsworthy 1

I'm sure the Sacklers will still come out of bankruptcy personally quite wealthy, despite having ordered their sales team to push push push for pharmacists to buy more until a large number of their end users died and the world wised up. Sickening.

#29 | Posted by cbob at 2019-09-16 02:05 PM | Reply

Look the Sacklers are responsible as the owners of the company for the decision made. They are the first and certainly among the worst. They sold Oxy as "non-addictive" and pushed it on doctors and pharmacists. They hid it for years and pushed even harder on doctors and pharmacists (including "bribing" them with all kinds of perks). They deserve to have all their wealth stripped from them. They deserve prison. Same goes for the other makers of opioids who jumped on board knowing full well what they were doing.

That said I think opioids have their place but the amount of regulation on them suddenly is just stupid (that would be government regulation due to inappropriate capitalist behavior for you conservatives against big government). Someone shouldn't have to see a doctor every week when they have a long term chronic condition but the problem is where do you define the line?

#30 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2019-09-16 03:22 PM | Reply

I agree, GalaxiePete. People who genuinely need pain medication should be able to get it.

#31 | Posted by cbob at 2019-09-16 03:44 PM | Reply

The dangers of opioids were downplayed for profits.
I would be okay if the Sacklers hang by the neck until dead for that.
I don't support capital punishment, but the evidence is incontrovertible in this case.

#32 | Posted by snoofy at 2019-09-16 03:52 PM | Reply

#24 | Posted by Nixon

Purdue Pharma is privately held.

#33 | Posted by AMERICANUNITY at 2019-09-16 07:14 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

"The dangers of opioids were downplayed for profits.
I would be okay if the Sacklers hang by the neck until dead for that."

For them, losing all assets and becoming homeless and sleeping on park benches would be a worse and more appropriate punishment.

"The family has taken out an estimated $13-16 billion in profits and put them in trusts or offshore accounts."

Let's hope that the court can unravel this and claw back those billions. It would serve as a warning to a lot of people.

#34 | Posted by TenMile at 2019-09-16 08:00 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

#33 | POSTED BY AMERICANUNITY

Exactly.

The are not bankrupt. They have hidden billions.

They are just using the bankruptcy laws of this nation to protect themselves and their employees. From their victims.

Exactly like the Trump crime family.

#35 | Posted by donnerboy at 2019-09-16 10:42 PM | Reply

Let's just take this drug off the market; problem solved.

#36 | Posted by MSgt at 2019-09-17 12:39 PM | Reply

And SheepleSchism makes fun of them.
#MAGA
#6 | POSTED BY SNOOFY AT 2019-09-16 12:51 AM "
I'm an honorably discharged veteran and I approve of his message.
#8 | POSTED BY GOATMAN AT 2019-09-16 12:56 AM

Worst spirit animal ever.

#37 | Posted by redlightrobot at 2019-09-18 09:18 AM | Reply