Tuesday, September 17, 2019

If I had known, 20 years ago, that my side in the ideological wars over gender and sex was going to win so decisively, I would have been ecstatic. Back then, I spent many evenings at the pub or at dinner parties debating gender and identity with other graduate students; or, really, anyone who would listen"my mother-in-law, my relatives, or just a random person unlucky enough to be in my presence. I insisted that there was no such thing as sex. And I knew it. I just knew it. Because I was a gender historian. ..... The problem is: I was wrong. Or, to be a bit more accurate, I got things partly right. But then, for the rest, I basically just made it up. In my defence, I wasn't alone. Everyone was (and is) making it up. That's how the gender-studies field works.

Comments

Everyone was (and is) making it up. That's how the gender-studies field works.

But let's finance "free" tuition for "gender studies" anyway. Because...shut up.

#1 | Posted by nullifidian at 2019-09-17 12:50 PM | Reply

This is going to be one of "liberal kryptonite" threads, limited to a general bashing of the source.

#2 | Posted by MUSTANG at 2019-09-17 01:03 PM | Reply

"They doesn't know what they is talking about."

LGBTQers everywhere

#3 | Posted by goatman at 2019-09-17 03:06 PM | Reply | Funny: 3

FTA:

And now my big idea is everywhere. It shows up especially in the talking points about trans rights, and policy regarding trans athletes in sports. It is being written into laws that essentially threaten repercussions for anyone who suggests that sex might be a biological reality.

Quite the ego for a nobody. As if he's the only person in the world who has had thoughts on gender.

If he was wrong then, he could be wrong now. The issue is a little more complicated than someone who thinks they're a know-it-all.

#4 | Posted by Derek_Wildstar at 2019-09-17 04:21 PM | Reply

I didn't read it all and I did skip around a bit. I see where he was going and doing with both the article and his research. I don't disagree with his claims at all on the societal construct of genders and how he dealt with them. The thing is it seems he has come along. Frankly I think gender is partially constructed by society - there is no denying it is.

#5 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2019-09-17 04:43 PM | Reply

Well, he got his Warholian 15 minutes. I suspect that's behind what a large majority of these weird demands by otherwise obscure souls are all about.

#6 | Posted by goatman at 2019-09-17 06:34 PM | Reply

I think rape should be considered an alternate sexuality.

#7 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2019-09-17 06:38 PM | Reply

I think rape should be considered an alternate sexuality.

#7 | POSTED BY HELIUMRAT

There is a professor in UC system promoting the idea pedophilia is an alternate sexuality.

See if I can find that link ...

#8 | Posted by AndreaMackris at 2019-09-17 07:48 PM | Reply

GalaxiePete,

You describe the NAXALT fallacy.
lifelessonsco.azureedge.net

Biology is about normal distribution.

Societies have shaped how genders are to behave, doesn't mean there is a linear distribution of behaviors.

#9 | Posted by AndreaMackris at 2019-09-17 07:55 PM | Reply

Helium here is that link
www.metroweekly.com

#10 | Posted by AndreaMackris at 2019-09-17 07:59 PM | Reply

@#5 ... The fact is there are biological differences (actual physical differences) that make gender not as binary as some might like....

There are two main parts of the human body: the physical body itself, and the mind.

The sex of the physical body is binary. It is this binary aspect of the body that the government uses to determine the sex of a newborn, and etch that sex onto the birth documents.

As the mind develops, it may or may not align with the sex of the physical body as documented at birth. The sex of the mind is a spectrum, it is not binary. Therein lies the internal conflict that many people face.

Do you want your child's mind to conform to the child's physical body, or do you want your child's mind to delevop on its own natural path of development?

It is not an easy question or decision.

#11 | Posted by LampLighter at 2019-09-17 10:54 PM | Reply

You realize the brain is part of the physical body, don't you?

#12 | Posted by zeropointnrg at 2019-09-18 06:14 PM | Reply

You realize the brain is part of the physical body, don't you?

POSTED BY ZEROPOINTNRG AT 2019-09-18 06:14 PM | REPLY

Not so for Republicans.

#13 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2019-09-18 06:19 PM | Reply

"Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing."
--Wernher Von Braun

#14 | Posted by snoofy at 2019-09-18 06:23 PM | Reply

#10 | Posted by AndreaMackris

Stop it. Cut that out.

(I haven't given the safe-word yet!)

#15 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2019-09-18 09:22 PM | Reply