Wednesday, September 18, 2019

NORTH PORTLAND, Ore. " The homeless problem in Portland isn't limited to the streets downtown, or any streets for that matter. All you have to do is take a scenic boat ride and you'll find the same problems -- crime, garbage and pollution. Our cameras spotted dozens of tents, sheds and docks. And then there are the boats -- floating, sunk and partially sunk. As we cruised on the Columbia, just off the beach, houseboat neighbor Don Larson showed us the problem on the beach, on the water and under the water.

Comments

Check out the photos....what an ecological disaster. There is no reason whatsoever to accept or condone this.

#1 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2019-09-18 11:06 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Snoofy and Clownshacks dream beach vacation.

#2 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2019-09-18 11:11 AM | Reply

Portland is a dumpster fire.

If you want to have some fun, subscribe to @PDXAlerts on Twitter.

#3 | Posted by MUSTANG at 2019-09-18 11:17 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 3

"These people are criminals and polluters of waterways. Lock them up, clean it up, keep them out."

We've tried that solution for decades but the problem just got bigger. Seems to me we need some fresh ideas which would cost less but offer better results.

#4 | Posted by danni at 2019-09-18 11:22 AM | Reply

Rightwing ---- revels in stories of homeless people in liberal communities. Just more evidence of their moral bankruptcy.

#5 | Posted by JOE at 2019-09-18 11:37 AM | Reply

Leftwing s--- gets angry about stories that reflect poorly on "progressive" governance, or lack thereof.

#6 | Posted by nullifidian at 2019-09-18 11:50 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

#5 | POSTED BY JOE

Do you have any solutions Joe on what to do about a 100 person camp that is stealing boats, stripping them, then setting them on fire and sinking the hulls?

Any solution to the pollution problem these campers are creating with batteries and trash in the waterways?

#7 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2019-09-18 11:54 AM | Reply

Homelessness isn't a left-right problem. There are homeless people in rightwing podunk meth towns across rural America. The difference is you don't see me trying to politically capitalize on that by blaming such a complex issue on who happens to run whatever town a homeless guy lives in.

We should do more to lift these people up. Are you prepared to fund that? If not, then just STFU already.

#8 | Posted by JOE at 2019-09-18 11:55 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

#4 | POSTED BY DANNI

I have an idea. Charge them with federal environmental crimes and lock them up for 5-10.

Sift out the mentally ill, and lock them up is state institutions. Oh, and ban the "clean needle" -------- that doesn't work.

#9 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2019-09-18 11:56 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

The problems will simply continue to get worse until America addresses the underlying causes of homelessness, rather that simply criminalizing poverty.

#10 | Posted by Whatsleft at 2019-09-18 12:00 PM | Reply

#8 | POSTED BY JOE

They don't want to be "lifted up". They don't want jobs, training, or education.

They want to be left alone to steal boats and pollute the river. Oh, and they want your cash contributions for heroin, meth, cigs, and moonshine.

It's time to start locking these people up, treating, training, and educating those who want help, and leaving the rest in a secure facility.

#11 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2019-09-18 12:00 PM | Reply | Funny: 1 | Newsworthy 1

- rather that simply criminalizing poverty.

This isn't about criminalizing poverty, this is about arresting thieves and environmental abusers.

#12 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2019-09-18 12:01 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

We should do more to lift these people up. Are you prepared to fund that? ~ Joe

Yes, close the border, deport when they break the law; watch housing cost drop in lower income areas and for single parents trying to raise a child.

Yes I am prepared to fund that ... are you? If not STFU.

#13 | Posted by AndreaMackris at 2019-09-18 12:39 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

I kinda disagree with this, for the majority (90%).

Its not about being "lifted up", its about not "falling down" due to housing costs and availability of unskilled jobs.

Once they are in the morass, you are correct in that they must drive themselves to get out of it. We can only offer services (showers, gov jobs etc).

#14 | Posted by AndreaMackris at 2019-09-18 12:43 PM | Reply

#11 | POSTED BY SHEEPLESCHISM

Once there is actually abundant help in place for those who need it, I will agree with that. Until then, I'm with Joe..

"Are you prepared to fund that? If not, then just STFU already."

Right now, we're not even close in most of this country.

#15 | Posted by Whatsleft at 2019-09-18 12:47 PM | Reply

then just STFU already.

Here here!

The likely response:

Want to hear the most annoying sound in the world? AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

-Nullishismackris

#16 | Posted by jpw at 2019-09-18 12:50 PM | Reply

#13 | POSTED BY ANDREAMACKRIS

I kinda disagree with this, for the majority (90%).
#14 | POSTED BY ANDREAMACKRIS

I support those who DO want help. These people setting boats on fire and trashing the river aren't single moms down on their luck.
These are thieves and dope fiends who don't GAF about anyone. They might like prison, they can hoard all the soap and toothpaste they want.

They'll be fed better than the trashcans they eat from now, and they can shower, or not, and change into clean clothes, or not..

#17 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2019-09-18 02:00 PM | Reply

There is abundant help, but those have anti tobacco, alcohol, and other drug prohibitions. You cant help people not ready to accept it.

#18 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2019-09-18 04:09 PM | Reply

I grew up in Portland. I tell all my friends who haven't been there that Portlandia is a documentary...not a comedy.

Portland is a city full of people trying to out-weird each other. It's something you don't really recognize until you move away and see what the rest of the world looks like.

#19 | Posted by madbomber at 2019-09-19 02:27 PM | Reply

Moved to Portland in '99
Still love it.
Only down side to me is too many people discovered the truth and the city is packed... rents almost doubled in the last 10 years... but here the righties talk like it's uninhabitable
Portland is great for a modern city... we are full.. stay in Texas or Ohio or wherever they have no big city issues

#20 | Posted by 503jc69 at 2019-09-19 03:49 PM | Reply

"Only down side to me is too many people discovered the truth and the city is packed... rents almost doubled in the last 10 years.."

I can empathize. My home town of Plano, Texas was 3,000 people when I was in 1st grade. One traffic light. Once school (and a good one as Plano's school system continued to be) etc. Now it is almost 100x that size and the 9th biggest city in Texas. It's full of rich wannages from the west coast and northeast building McMansions, driving cars they can't afford, blah, blah, blah.

It's one of the main reasons I moved to San Antonio. The Mexicans (2/3 of the city) know how to chill out and take life easy. They aren't offended by every little thing and don't worry about things that don't need to be worried about.

#21 | Posted by goatman at 2019-09-19 03:55 PM | Reply

The Pacific Northwest is Amazing. After leaving there, I lived in San Diego (also very cool), Virginia (not as cool), and finished undergrad in North Carolina. After that, North Dakota and Louisiana...both of which were terrible. Especially Louisiana.

I live in Germany now. It's far better than the Pacific Northwest...it's just laid out differently. But the Pacific Northwest is really the only part of the country that I would define as desirable. I'm going to struggle when, in a few years, the Germans make me move back to the US. Maybe I'll just move to Croatia.

#22 | Posted by madbomber at 2019-09-19 03:56 PM | Reply

#22 | POSTED BY MADBOMBER

When you come back try out Northern Michigan. It's absolutely beautiful up there although winter can be rough.

#23 | Posted by JeffJ at 2019-09-19 03:58 PM | Reply

#20 | Posted by 503jc69

The same thing has happened in Nashville. Real estate has skyrocketed (which is good for us, bad for others), traffic is backed up all over. Example: the one 4 lane freeway feeding the county to the southwest of Nashville (Rutherford) is bumper to bumper from 3 pm to 7 pm. Republicans turned down funding for light and high speed rail, so no way to commute but by car or the few buses that run to outlying counties.

We're headed to New Mexico in 3 or 4 years ...

#24 | Posted by AMERICANUNITY at 2019-09-19 04:02 PM | Reply

MADBOMBER

Before you consider the upper peninsula of Michigan, be aware that you'll need to shovel your roof so it doesn't collapse in winter.

Or your sidewalk & drive:

PIC from last APRIL!! www.gannett-cdn.com

#25 | Posted by AMERICANUNITY at 2019-09-19 04:08 PM | Reply

"Republicans turned down funding for light and high speed rail,

#24 | POSTED BY AMERICANUNITY"

It was a referendum, not a council or legislature vote. Controll that jerking knee.

www.wired.com

#26 | Posted by goatman at 2019-09-19 04:08 PM | Reply

www.wired.com

#26 | Posted by goatman

You don't know what you're talking about. I do. Unlike you, I lived here when it happened. That was an entirely different proposal years after the one I referenced. And it wouldn't have addressed the need for light rail to the outlying counties surrounding Nashville.

Republicans turned down Stimulus funding for light rail in the Nashville metro area that would have. As they did in FL and several other red states.

#27 | Posted by AMERICANUNITY at 2019-09-19 04:16 PM | Reply

"You don't know what you're talking about.
POSTED BY AMERICANUNITY"

I do know what I'm talking about. It was a referendum and the people rejected it by a 2:1 margin. That is what I stated, and if I am wrong about the referendum, please tell me rather than move goalposts

My point is that you jerked your knee and blamed repubublicans when it was a referendum that lost by a 2:1 margin. That is hardly partisan, and even if it was, how do you know which party? Were you looking over people's shoulders as they cast their votes?

Again, control that jerking knee.

#28 | Posted by goatman at 2019-09-19 04:23 PM | Reply

GOATMAN

I explained it all to you but you're to pigheaded to admit you're wrong.

TN Republicans turned down Stimulus funding for rail in TN metro areas in 2009.

You linked an article about a recent ballot initiative last year that had nothing whatsoever to do with my comment.

BTW, you know you're plonked but continue to post replies to my comments regardless, which I see if I'm purusing comments or threads before logging in to comment myself.

You're an aszhole. What's sad is you're proud of it. Typical right winger.

#29 | Posted by AMERICANUNITY at 2019-09-19 04:34 PM | Reply

--you're plonked but continue to post replies to my comments regardless, which I see if I'm purusing comments or threads before logging in to comment myself.

Hahahaha. You can't live without Goatman. If you really didn't want to see his posts you would log in rather than come up with mealy mouthed excuses.

#30 | Posted by nullifidian at 2019-09-19 04:37 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

Hahahaha. Americanunitard is a ------- punching bag.
Go beg other users to be your friend, make up some more sad stories, then drive your van off a cliff you ------.

#31 | Posted by 101Chairborne at 2019-09-19 04:41 PM | Reply | Funny: 1 | Newsworthy 1

"Republicans turned down funding for light and high speed rail, ..

#24 | POSTED BY AMERICANUNITY"

Let's do some math here, AU. I know, I know, scary stuff, but hang with me.

Nashville is a blue city. Not surprising given all the musicians who are more likely to be liberal.
Link from Nashville's own Vanderbilt University:

tennesseestar.com

Using the last previous link as my source and considering the last presidential election, it is obvious Nashville is a blue city. They voted 60% for Clinton and 34% for Trump.

So if the referendum lost by a 2:1 margin (66.6% to 33.4%), and even if all republicans voted against it, (not very likely, but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt) then that means at least half of the democrats HAD to have voted against it. Again, this is assuming all republicans voted against it, which isn't likely. So more realistically, more than half the Nashville Democrats voted against it.

But you say it's the Republican's fault. LOL

#32 | Posted by goatman at 2019-09-19 04:43 PM | Reply

"BTW, you know you're plonked but continue to post replies to my comments
#29 | POSTED BY AMERICANUNITY AT 2019-09-19 04:34 PM "

Yes, I know I am, but oddly enough you don't seem to know you've plonked me. LOL

#33 | Posted by goatman at 2019-09-19 04:45 PM | Reply

Clearly what we need is more cuts to HUD to fix the homeless problem.

Maybe Ben can order another $30,000 table for his office with the savings.

#34 | Posted by Nixon at 2019-09-20 06:49 AM | Reply