Wednesday, September 18, 2019

The latest NBC News/Wall Street Journal survey is a good poll for only two 2020 Democrats. Joe Biden and Elizabeth Warren. ... we are seeing the beginning of a sorting process in the Dem race -- with older, more moderate, and African American voters flocking to Biden, and with liberals, women and the college educated increasingly breaking Warren's way. Even with 138 days until Iowa, that sorting process is hard to ignore.

Comments

Biden/Warren '20 is a ticket that could win.

Personally, I'd rather have Warren in the Pres slot, but I'm not going to put my personal preference above whatever the primary voters decide.

#1 | Posted by Corky at 2019-09-18 02:20 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

If either of those two win the nomination, I'd prefer to see a younger progressive as the VP pick. I think either Pete Buttigieg or Tulsi Gabbard would be the best choice.

#2 | Posted by Whatsleft at 2019-09-18 02:25 PM | Reply

Warren/Yang '20. Biden is old and in the way. Put him out to pasture.

On a similar note, self proclaimed 'progressives' have to stop being wusses and actually SUPPORT a progressive candidate. Stop allowing fear of your own shadow cause you to support a truly mediocre candidate such as Biden. If HRC taught us nothing, it is that half measures are doomed to fail.

#3 | Posted by moder8 at 2019-09-18 02:33 PM | Reply

I think either Pete Buttigieg or Tulsi Gabbard would be the best choice.

I would prefer Yang because he is the only one sensible about nuclear power. Maybe he can convince Professor Warren to stop opposing it.

#4 | Posted by nullifidian at 2019-09-18 02:34 PM | Reply

- I'd prefer to see a younger progressive as the VP pick

Yang or Pete or even Beto would be fine with me.

- half measures are doomed to fail.

Maybe. The fact though is that the full measure Bernie lost the Dem primary, a much more liberal vote than the general election.... not by a fraction of a percent the way Hil did, but by a landslide. And he appears to be falling behind now.

#5 | Posted by Corky at 2019-09-18 02:49 PM | Reply

Right now, Joe Biden is trying to send email via electric type writer.

#6 | Posted by lee_the_agent at 2019-09-18 04:21 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

Warren's coalition is smart people and people who learned something from 2016.
Biden's coalition is cowards, bankers, and idiots who just like him because he smells like obama.

#7 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2019-09-18 04:22 PM | Reply

#4 | Posted by nullifidian

Maybe we can store the nuclear waste in your mom's basement next to your bed.

#8 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2019-09-18 04:23 PM | Reply

Biden/Warren '20 is a ticket that could win.

#1 | Posted by Corky

Nope. VP is powerless position. Liberals aren't dumb enough to think she'll have any power, and swing voters aren't going to vote for the status quo that they were sick of in 2016.

#9 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2019-09-18 04:25 PM | Reply

#10 | Posted by nullifidian at 2019-09-18 04:27 PM | Reply

Warren is an undistinguished senator with all the charm of a know-it-all hall monitor.

#11 | Posted by lee_the_agent at 2019-09-18 04:31 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

--with all the charm of a know-it-all hall monitor.

5th grade teacher Warren is going to slap your hands with her ruler, unless you brought her an apple.

#12 | Posted by nullifidian at 2019-09-18 04:35 PM | Reply

VP is the position from which the next Pres candidate often comes.

- people who learned something from 2016.

People who learned not to listen to Bernie and support the Dem candidate who won the Dem primary, no matter who they were, still have some learning to do.

#13 | Posted by Corky at 2019-09-18 04:36 PM | Reply

Pete Buttigieg is not progressive.

#14 | Posted by JOE at 2019-09-18 04:40 PM | Reply

"Maybe we can store all the toxic batteries from virtuemobiles in your neighborhood."

Maybe we can replace your air with 100% CO2.

#15 | Posted by snoofy at 2019-09-18 04:51 PM | Reply

#13 | Posted by Corky at 2019-09-18 04:36 PM | Reply

It is you who hasn't learnt a God damned thing. Don't sell us garbage we can't eat.

#16 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2019-09-18 04:57 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

#10 | Posted by nullifidian

Cure to your jealousy:

1. Get a job you're good at. Maybe shoveling manure for millionaires?

2. Save money.

3. Buy car.

#17 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2019-09-18 06:16 PM | Reply

#13 | Posted by Corky

"vote for hillary over trump" is the only thing you want us to listen to bernie about. Everything else you happily ignore.

#18 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2019-09-18 06:17 PM | Reply

#12 | Posted by nullifidian

Oh that explains it. You're moron so school was hard and you still resent school teachers for your own failings. Which is why you're much happier to have a moron like you in charge.

#19 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2019-09-18 06:18 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

" You're moron so school was hard ...
POSTED BY SPEAKSOFTLY"

First rule of internet childish insults:

If you are going to engage in them, at least get the spelling and grammar correct. You forgot the indefinite article before "moron".

Hope this helps in future endeavours.

#20 | Posted by goatman at 2019-09-18 06:21 PM | Reply

It might work for the dems if this potential ticket was reversed. Joe de Gaffe doesn't have a chance regardless who his running mate is.

#21 | Posted by goatman at 2019-09-18 06:35 PM | Reply

- Don't sell us garbage we can't eat.

"How dare voters disagree with me and not pick my favorit-est candidate.... WAAGH!"

You should have listened to Bernie. You and Laura just can't help despising voters who happen to disagree with you. Perhaps you'd prefer a different way of selecting a candidate?

Like you two picking them.

#22 | Posted by Corky at 2019-09-18 07:04 PM | Reply

- Joe de Gaffe doesn't have a chance

General Election: Trump vs. Biden

RCP Average 7/7 - 9/17 -- -- 52.9 41.1 Biden +11.8
FOX News 9/15 - 9/17 1008 RV 3.0 52 38 Biden +14
ABC/WP 9/2 - 9/5 877 RV 4.0 55 40 Biden +15
IBD/TIPP 8/22 - 8/30 848 RV 3.5 54 42 Biden +12
Emerson 8/24 - 8/26 1458 RV 2.5 54 46 Biden +8
Quinnipiac 8/21 - 8/26 1422 RV 4.6 54 38 Biden +16
SUSA 8/1 - 8/5 5459 RV 1.6 50 42 Biden +8
NBC/WSJ 7/7 - 7/9 800 RV 3.5 51 42 Biden +9

www.realclearpolitics.com

What never had a chance was your brain function.

#23 | Posted by Corky at 2019-09-18 07:07 PM | Reply

Like you two picking them.

Posted by Corky at 2019-09-18 07:04 PM | Reply

Aren't you doing what you accuse me of?? Despising a voter for disagreeing with you?? BTW I selected a candidate like everyone else. I looked at the paper ballot and picked the one I wanted.

Physician heal thyself.

#24 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2019-09-18 07:14 PM | Reply

"What never had a chance was your brain function.
#23 | POSTED BY CORKY "

Presidential election polls November 7, 2016

www.realclearpolitics.com

Whatever you say, Hillbot

#25 | Posted by goatman at 2019-09-18 07:15 PM | Reply

By a landslide!

#26 | Posted by gracieamazed at 2019-09-18 07:16 PM | Reply

Anybody making the claim that Biden = Hillary is a maroon. Biden doesn't have a fraction of the negatives that Clinton had.

#27 | Posted by JeffJ at 2019-09-18 07:17 PM | Reply

Biden doesn't have a fraction of the negatives that Clinton had.

He's got plenty of his own.

#28 | Posted by ClownShack at 2019-09-18 07:21 PM | Reply

He's got plenty of his own.

#28 | POSTED BY CLOWNSHACK

True, but not nearly as many as Clinton.

#29 | Posted by JeffJ at 2019-09-18 07:29 PM | Reply

but not nearly as many as Clinton.

He's got enough for Trump to latch onto.

#30 | Posted by ClownShack at 2019-09-18 07:34 PM | Reply

He's got enough for Trump to latch onto.

#30 | POSTED BY CLOWNSHACK

All of the candidates do and that's because there are no unicorns in politics.

My point is that Biden is a better candidate than Clinton. Or, phrased another way, Biden is not as bad a candidate as Clinton.

#31 | Posted by JeffJ at 2019-09-18 07:40 PM | Reply

Like you two picking them.

#22 | Posted by Corky

You can disagree with me all you want. Just dont lead the party to another defeat by pursuing the same path that failed last time.

2016 - trump is crazy! We need to run a moderate as an alternative! = LOSS

2020 - trump is crazy! We need to run a moderate as an alternative! = duhhhhh?

#32 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2019-09-18 07:45 PM | Reply

#27 | Posted by JeffJ

Let's see...

Old
white
ex senator
voted for the iraq war
speeches to bankers
bribe money from corporations
long history of being on the wrong side of issues before changing to the right side

yeah not a fraction just an identical list

#33 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2019-09-18 08:17 PM | Reply

I need a break for awhile. Read the headline as: Biden/Warren Building Formaldehyde Conditions.

#34 | Posted by madscientist at 2019-09-18 08:40 PM | Reply

#33 Speaks,

I already acknowledged that Biden has plenty of negatives as a potential nominee.

Again, my point is Hillary had considerably MORE negatives.

You are focusing mostly on issues. Quite frankly I wish every voter would focus on issues and policy as much as you do.

Having said that, put on your political reality hat. You know as well as I do that political campaigns are as much about the superficial crap as they are substantive stuff. Look no further than how the debates are structured. It's all about zingers and talking points. How can any candidate even come close to addressing a complex issue in 90 seconds.

Regrettably, it's talking points, zingers, bumper sticker slogans and the ability to work a crowd that sells in politics. I know you know this.

On the superficial side Biden crushes Hillary. It's in this area that Warren is going to have problems. For left-leaning political junkies I'm sure she's a very attractive candidate. But when it comes to the things I just mentioned, she's a liability.

Also, when it comes to policy preferences you come across as believing you are a centrist. You're not (I'm not claiming I am either). There's a reason why 'moving to the center after the primary' is a thing in presidential elections.

As an aside, in '16 I was flipping channels and when I was about to skip past Fox News (I quit cable news years ago) I noticed Rubio on stage by himself, holding a microphone and addressing the audience. Out of curiosity I decided to watch. You would have loved the format. Each candidate (if memory serves it was only Rubio, Cruz, Kasich and maybe 1 or 2 others - at this point the field of candidates had already winnowed and unsurprisingly Trump was absent for this) spoke for several minutes about a narrow issue and were then asked a series of clarifying questions, not by an audience member, but by an expert in the field of discussion. I was impressed by the breadth of knowledge each one had on the subject matter and I was impressed by how, with one exception - Rubio was evasive on 1 question - the candidates shot straight and answered the questions.

#35 | Posted by JeffJ at 2019-09-18 09:01 PM | Reply

Soon as senile Sanders drops out Warren's base will double.

#36 | Posted by Tor at 2019-09-18 09:30 PM | Reply

#31 | POSTED BY JEFFJ

Clinton would have been a better President than Trump or Biden.

Regardless. Dementia will knock Biden out of the election in the next few months.

#37 | Posted by ClownShack at 2019-09-18 09:33 PM | Reply

#37 | POSTED BY CLOWNSHACK

I seriously hope he doesn't have dementia. He certainly hasn't seemed as sharp as he used to be and I honestly question if his heart is fully in it.

Soon as senile Sanders drops out Warren's base will double.

#36 | POSTED BY TOR

Sanders doesn't strike me as senile. But I agree with your overall premise and have argued for a few weeks now that Biden will cruise to victory unless either Sanders or Warren drops out before the actual primary voting starts.

#38 | Posted by JeffJ at 2019-09-18 09:40 PM | Reply

Warren is going to rip Trump a new one.

I've seen her terrify even Bill Maher I can only imagine what she could do to the dotard.

#39 | Posted by Tor at 2019-09-18 09:44 PM | Reply

Warren is going to rip Trump a new one.

#39 | POSTED BY TOR

I highly doubt it. The debate format plays into Trump's strengths and Warren's weaknesses.

Also, after 4 years on the job Trump won't be nearly as ignorant as he was 4 years ago.

#40 | Posted by JeffJ at 2019-09-18 09:51 PM | Reply

The prayer of a righteous man availeth much.

--St James

#41 | Posted by madscientist at 2019-09-18 09:51 PM | Reply

On the superficial side Biden crushes Hillary.
#35 | Posted by JeffJ

No he sucks on the superficial side too - old, bleeding eyeball, fake wall of overly whitened teeth falling out, ancient hair plugs swept over his entire liver spot-covered head, kissing young women on their head and massaging their shoulders, shambling on stage like he needs a walker, unable to maintain a consitent train of thought in a debate asnwer.

#42 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2019-09-19 02:37 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

#40 | Posted by JeffJ

I honestly dont think trump is going to debate anyone. He can't just attack now, he has to defend what he's done.

He's going to say the debate would have been rigged by the fake media and just stay home and tweet.

He MIGHT do a debate only if fox news runs it for him, which really means HE gets to run it.

#43 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2019-09-19 02:39 PM | Reply

Sure the NORMS are that the candidates will debate. But when has trump ever cared about the norms? If there's not a law saying he HAS to do it, he wont.

#44 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2019-09-19 02:40 PM | Reply

#42 | POSTED BY SPEAKSOFTLY

I know you were being serious but your exaggerations made me laugh so I gave you a FF.

#45 | Posted by JeffJ at 2019-09-19 02:57 PM | Reply

This whole "Biden gets the black votes" comes across as manufactured truth. Lotta water being carried.

#46 | Posted by Ottodog at 2019-09-20 11:52 AM | Reply

2020 is turning into 2016 in a hurry.

Trump couldn't be happier.

#47 | Posted by ClownShack at 2019-09-20 11:55 AM | Reply

Right, clown? Hill-dawg was said to have the unanimous black vote too before the election.

This Biden push is full twilight zone, as I have said before.

#48 | Posted by Ottodog at 2019-09-20 12:09 PM | Reply

Biden, who was falling behind in all polls, suddenly woke up with a huge lead.

The DNC pulled this in 2016.

They seem intent on repeating the same mistakes.

#49 | Posted by ClownShack at 2019-09-20 12:16 PM | Reply