Thursday, September 19, 2019

Ever since Peter Falk walked into his grandson's room and read him a book about princesses, monsters, giants, evil princes, and true love, our movie hearts melted. "The Princess Bride" is as cult a classic as they come. ... all that movie magic could soon be ruined should there be any truth to what Sony Pictures Entertainment CEO Tony Vinciquerra told Variety on Tuesday. "Very famous people whose names I won't use, but they want to redo The Princess Bride," he revealed. Inconceivable.

Comments

It would be a travesty if they go through with this.

Great tweet from Cary Elwes:

There's a shortage of perfect movies in this world. It would be a pity to damage this one.

#1 | Posted by JeffJ at 2019-09-18 03:02 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

That's Hollywood. They couldn't come up with an original idea to save the world. Now they plan a new "Hogan's Heroes."

#2 | Posted by nullifidian at 2019-09-18 03:14 PM | Reply

-remake

www.youtube.com

#3 | Posted by Corky at 2019-09-18 03:27 PM | Reply

- they plan a new "Hogan's Heroes."

Dulli's been promised the role of Sgt Shultz.

"Heil Trump!"

www.youtube.com

#4 | Posted by Corky at 2019-09-18 03:31 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

Some movies should not be remade. Casablanca, Wizard of Oz, 2001: A Space Odyssey, Dr. Strangelove (two for Kubrick), Chinatown, to name a few.

Remakes are seldom better. That said, the new True Grit was a lot better. Same story and almost identical dialogue, but the settings and cinematography were much better. And the characters actually got dirty and their hair got mussed and their clothes rumpled unlike Glen Campbell. LOL

#5 | Posted by goatman at 2019-09-18 03:53 PM | Reply

--Some movies should not be remade.

Add "The Godfather" to that list. No doubt some Hollywood executive-hack will try it some day.

#6 | Posted by nullifidian at 2019-09-18 04:17 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

+ "Gladiator"

#7 | Posted by GOnoles92 at 2019-09-18 08:31 PM | Reply

Some true classics have been mentioned for sure and i agree remakes should be out of the question for them.

This is one of my guilty pleasure movies and I don't see it in the same vein as those but none the less it is a classic in my book and I would HATE to see it remade. The casting was so perfect and it is just so inappropriately funny. My wife laughs at me for watching it... lol

A classic line anyone familiar will recognize with some meaning today perhaps...

Vizzini: You've fallen for one of the two classic blunders! The first being never get involved in a land war in Asia but only slightly lesser known: never go in against a cicelean when DEATH is on the line! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA *dies*

#8 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2019-09-19 10:21 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

#8 | POSTED BY GALAXIEPETE

That movie has countless classic lines.

If Hollywood goes through with this I guess that should remake "A Christmas Story" and "The Sandlot" while they are at it.

#9 | Posted by JeffJ at 2019-09-19 11:03 AM | Reply

Let's hope the 'stars' aren't Kim and Kanye

#10 | Posted by AMERICANUNITY at 2019-09-19 11:12 AM | Reply

Mutton, Lettuce, and Tomato

www.youtube.com

#11 | Posted by Corky at 2019-09-19 01:22 PM | Reply

I want Bronson's Death Wish 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 and 10.
In real life.

#12 | Posted by phesterOBoyle at 2019-09-19 03:03 PM | Reply

Who would replace Andre the Giant? The guy was 7' 4" and weighed 520 lbs. CGI would be lame because knowing Andre was a real guy is one of the reasons that made the character great.

He was so drunk during the movie. Used alcohol to dull the pain. HBO has a great documentary on him.

#13 | Posted by Pirate at 2019-09-19 03:05 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

#13 | POSTED BY PIRATE

The amount of alcohol he was able to consume in a day was astonishing.

#14 | Posted by JeffJ at 2019-09-19 03:07 PM | Reply

Here's a horrible idea: Forrest Gump remake in a few years with like 70 year old Hanks where he looks back over 1994 to the present.

#15 | Posted by Ottodog at 2019-09-19 03:23 PM | Reply

For the most part with remakes I'm very meh, if I loved the original I just won't watch the remake but I'm with Wesley on this one it would be a shame to ruin it with a remake.

The only thing I could see improving are the special effects and those simply are not a factor in making The Princess Bride one of the best movies ever.

#16 | Posted by TaoWarrior at 2019-09-19 03:33 PM | Reply

Apart from the Star Wars trilogy, Superman I and II, and Star Trek II the emotional attachment to movies of my youth never really lasted. If they can make money off a reboot I say more power to them. I won't be going though.

#17 | Posted by Hagbard_Celine at 2019-09-19 03:45 PM | Reply

Remake the Princess Bride? Inconceivable!

#18 | Posted by Tor at 2019-09-19 05:34 PM | Reply | Funny: 3

Have Rob Zombie direct.

#19 | Posted by BruceBanner at 2019-09-19 11:31 PM | Reply

#17 | POSTED BY HAGBARD_CELINE

I don't care either, I won't be going. But as Nulli mentions nothing original coming out of NorthAmerican filmmakers these days.

Too bad really, we are watching more and more video ....

#20 | Posted by AndreaMackris at 2019-09-19 11:57 PM | Reply

#21 | Posted by CrisisStills at 2019-09-20 03:20 AM | Reply

Inconceivable!

#22 | Posted by snoofy at 2019-09-20 04:14 AM | Reply

This is easy. Female cast reboot. If you even slightly dislike that, you're a misogynistic POS, probably beat women, and are definitely a homophobe.

Wesley played by Gal Gadot.
The Princess played by Tom Holland.
Wallace Shawn as Vizzini is out, Gwendoline Christie is in.
Leslie Jones as Fezzig the Giant.
Angelina Jolie as Iniago Montoya.
Wendy McLendon-Covey as Humperdink.
Kate McKinnon has the 6 fingered wo-man.
Cloris Leachman as the old healer(s).

That's a blockbuster waiting to happen... or a repeat of Ghostbusters 2016 and the last not very good Star Wars movie.. not sure yet...

#23 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2019-09-20 01:47 PM | Reply

Hollywood has to stop wrecking movies with crappy remakes and sequels. No I don't want to go see the 43rd remake of godzilla. I want to see an original idea. There are plenty of great books out there that need a great movie made.

#24 | Posted by hatter5183 at 2019-09-20 02:04 PM | Reply

#25 | Posted by nullifidian at 2019-09-20 02:15 PM | Reply

#25 | POSTED BY NULLIFIDIAN AT 2019-09-20 02:15 PM | FLAG: "In my day..." *sprays children with hose*

#26 | Posted by JOE at 2019-09-20 02:21 PM | Reply

I don't expect thoughtful, on-topic comments from Angry Joe.

#27 | Posted by nullifidian at 2019-09-20 02:28 PM | Reply

"Wallace Shawn--Vizzini, made a great movie "My Dinner with Andre." I'm not sure today's generation could sit still for it, because it's pure dialogue.

#25 | POSTED BY NULLIFIDIAN :

Conversely, people won't sit through another great movie because the scarcity of dialogue, 2001: A Space Odyssey. It has about 45 minutes of dialogue in the 2.5 hour movie. IMHO, it is one of the greatest movies made and definitely Kubrick's best.

#28 | Posted by goatman at 2019-09-20 02:28 PM | Reply

I don't expect thoughtful, on-topic comments from Angry Joe.
#27 | POSTED BY NULLIFIDIAN

You haven't made a thoughtful, on-topic comment in years. I give thoughtful comments to those who deserve it. You aren't in the club.

#29 | Posted by JOE at 2019-09-20 02:30 PM | Reply

--There are plenty of great books out there that need a great movie made.

Are there? They need to have a lot of action, and less dialogue for Hollywood to cash in with non-english speaking audiences like the Chinese.

#30 | Posted by nullifidian at 2019-09-20 02:30 PM | Reply

leave it to joe or the other three like twerps (we know who they are) to ---- on a thread about movies.

#31 | Posted by goatman at 2019-09-20 02:33 PM | Reply

--2001: A Space Odyssey.

Perfect for foreign audiences.

#32 | Posted by nullifidian at 2019-09-20 02:35 PM | Reply

#33 | Posted by JOE at 2019-09-20 02:35 PM | Reply

"There are plenty of great books out there that need a great movie made.

#24 | POSTED BY HATTER5183 "

Being a science fiction fan, I would love to see a well made version of "The Mote in God's Eye." The opportunity for stunning visuals abound in this story if well done. The storyline is stupendous as well, so I would not like to see a screenplay that varied from Niven's book.

That's always a problem with making a movie from a book is that the screenplay's version is not the same. One of the things that made "The Godfather" great is that it was almost verbatim from Puzo's awesome book. Both book and movie are classics.

#34 | Posted by goatman at 2019-09-20 02:37 PM | Reply

"Speaking of Kubrick, would you like to see a remake of A Clockwork Orange and Barry Lyndon?

#32 | POSTED BY NULLIFIDIAN "

Definitely not A Clockwork Orange. That movie was perfect.

Barry Lyndon -- meh, but probably not.

Kubrick pretty much did things perfect the first time. I've never seen Eyes Wide Shut, though.

#35 | Posted by goatman at 2019-09-20 02:41 PM | Reply

"#31 You must have missed Nulli turning the thread into a stereotypical rant against "kids these days." That's ok, i'm here to point out the obvious to old farts like you.

#33 | POSTED BY JOE "

A general statement is not the same as a personal attack. Nor would I call " I'm not sure today's generation could sit still for it, because it's pure dialogue" a rant against anyone. It was an observation.

You need to calm down, Joe.

#36 | Posted by goatman at 2019-09-20 02:44 PM | Reply

I read The Godfather after seeing the movie and it was great. Filled in some details.

#37 | Posted by nullifidian at 2019-09-20 02:44 PM | Reply

A general statement is not the same as a personal attack.

It's personal to anyone who fits the generalization.

#38 | Posted by JOE at 2019-09-20 02:47 PM | Reply

"A general statement is not the same as a personal attack."

It was a general attack, on an entire generation of persons.

#39 | Posted by snoofy at 2019-09-20 02:47 PM | Reply

--Definitely not A Clockwork Orange. That movie was perfect.

Yeah. I saw it on a big screen in Hollywood. Wouldn't be any point in remaking it.

#40 | Posted by nullifidian at 2019-09-20 02:47 PM | Reply

For my money, the greatest foreign film ever is Kurosawa's Seven Samurai. I expect more people here have probably seen the Hollywood western adaptation, The Magnificent Seven.

#41 | Posted by nullifidian at 2019-09-20 02:51 PM | Reply

"It was a general attack, on an entire generation of persons.

#39 | POSTED BY SNOOFY "

I'm not going to continue this BS with you and the other snowflake Joe. Y'all knock yourselves out, though.

#42 | Posted by goatman at 2019-09-20 02:52 PM | Reply

"... Kurosawa's Seven Samurai."

A friend of mine mentioned that movie recently. Until then I had not heard about it. I might see if I can dig it up on Amazon Prime for tonight's viewing pleasure.

#43 | Posted by goatman at 2019-09-20 02:56 PM | Reply

Hope you have a big screen. Seven Samurai deserves it.

#44 | Posted by nullifidian at 2019-09-20 03:00 PM | Reply

A series of movies could be made on the works of William Gibson, the creator of the cyberpunk genre.

I would also love to see Asimov's Foundation series on IMAX

Zelazny's Alien Speedway series

The Piers Anthony Apprentice Adept series could out-do Harry Potter all day

#45 | Posted by hatter5183 at 2019-09-20 03:08 PM | Reply

#37 | POSTED BY NULLIFIDIAN

I read the book a few years ago and thought it was very uneven.
The intro went on about how Puzzo himself said he was 'going to write a bestseller', so I think he trashed it up a bit on purpose.

#46 | Posted by schifferbrains at 2019-09-20 03:10 PM | Reply

"If you think "I'm not sure today's generation could sit still for it, because it's pure dialogue" is an attack on anyone or anything, you are the thinnest skinned of any snowflake I've ever encountered."

Snowflake?
Mmmm, that's good name calling!

#47 | Posted by snoofy at 2019-09-20 03:10 PM | Reply

I usually watch movies on my laptop, but I do have a TV screen. It's old and small by today's standards -- 33" I think -- but I'll make a point to watch Samurai on it.

Godfather: I read the book in HS, then saw the movie a year or so later. Even though I was young and didn't fully really realize Hollywood often tears up a book and replaces with their screenplay, I was still surprised at how close the movie was, even down to the word in a lot of dialogue.

2001: An oldies theatre in Dallas, the Granada, used to play it once a year. I'd go there with my best friend and see it. But each year the audience got smaller and they stopped showing it about 12 or 15 years ago. I haven't been there since.

ACO: Definitely a big screen movie. The colors and details of the sets demand it.

#48 | Posted by goatman at 2019-09-20 03:12 PM | Reply

"I would also love to see Asimov's Foundation series on IMAX"

The trilogy was a great story, a classic even, but I don't see that many ooportunities for visuals worthy of IMAX

#49 | Posted by goatman at 2019-09-20 03:14 PM | Reply

Apocalypse Now deserves a big screen as well.

#50 | Posted by nullifidian at 2019-09-20 03:17 PM | Reply

"If..."

Looks like you choose to own it. I didn't call you anything, snoofygames.

#51 | Posted by goatman at 2019-09-20 03:17 PM | Reply

"I didn't call you anything"

Um, yeah you did.
You just did it like a weasel.

#52 | Posted by snoofy at 2019-09-20 03:22 PM | Reply

"Most overrated movie ever. Watched it last year with my kids, been so many years since first viewing, and they were bored."

My daughter watched it last year during a sleepover. She's still complaining about it.

#53 | Posted by Hagbard_Celine at 2019-09-20 03:26 PM | Reply

"Apocalypse Now deserves a big screen as well."

I've seen that one only once and it was on the big screen. Can't imagine it otherwise. If for no other reason, Brando. His sheer presence cannot be captured on a tv screen.

#54 | Posted by goatman at 2019-09-20 03:29 PM | Reply

Remember Mark Knopfler's soundtrack?
Good stuff.

#55 | Posted by schifferbrains at 2019-09-20 03:31 PM | Reply

Xanadu 2

#56 | Posted by Petrous at 2019-09-20 03:33 PM | Reply

""I would also love to see Asimov's Foundation series on IMAX""

The first time I saw Star Wars IV and saw Darth Vader, I knew the character had to have been modeled after the Mule.

#57 | Posted by goatman at 2019-09-20 03:40 PM | Reply

Liam says no.

imgflip.com

#58 | Posted by 6thPersona at 2019-09-20 06:07 PM | Reply

#24 | POSTED BY HATTER5183

I've found Netflix is making good, original stuff. Series and movies.

Probably why Hollywood isn't keen on them being eligible for Oscars.

#59 | Posted by jpw at 2019-09-20 08:55 PM | Reply