Wednesday, September 18, 2019

As personal devices become the centerpiece of in-flight entertainment, airline passengers are increasingly at odds over the use of window shades, the Wall Street Journal writes.

Comments

Will the airlines start splitting the plane into light and dark sections, like the smoking and non-smoking sections of old. If they do, I suspect they may need to come up with some other terminology besides light and dark.

#1 | Posted by LampLighter at 2019-09-18 03:34 PM | Reply

If someone tries to influence how I use my paid-for two feet of personal space + window on a flight, I reply and ask them how much would the change be worth to them? If they're willing to part with currency for me to "upgrade" their accommodations by lowering the window shade, then sure, because there's a utility curve for natural light and the views out the window.

Kind of douchey, but I've had one person take me up on the offer.

#2 | Posted by GOnoles92 at 2019-09-18 03:58 PM | Reply

#2 | Posted by GOnoles92

Actually kind of funny because frankly I agree - you chose the window for a reason (or were assigned it but regardless) so you would appear to be the one with control of it. Personally give me an aisle seat and I don't care about the shade unless it is shining directly in my eyes.

#3 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2019-09-18 04:19 PM | Reply

I have for decades always went for an aisle seat - quicker egress.

#4 | Posted by MSgt at 2019-09-18 04:20 PM | Reply

First world problem.

decades ago, I used to love to look out the plane window and always chose an window seat. Of course then there were no portable electronic devices whose owners might be offended. But that grew tiresome after three or four years and I never ask for them anymore. But it has nothing to do with glare on my phone or tablet. Also, I don't like having to wake someone up by climbing over them if I have to go pee.

#5 | Posted by goatman at 2019-09-18 04:24 PM | Reply

The person in the window seat gets control of the window. Period.

That isn't to say it doesn't irritate me if i need to sleep and they've got the sun blasting in, but if i cared that much i'd have reserved a window seat.

My preference for the aisle and unimpeded access to the restroom trumps anything related to the window.

Thank you for reading my blog.

#6 | Posted by JOE at 2019-09-18 04:56 PM | Reply

The person in the window seat gets control of the window. Period.

I agree. If my seat can recline I'll do that too if I feel like it.

#7 | Posted by REDIAL at 2019-09-18 07:41 PM | Reply

I agree with the majority here that the person in the window seat gets control. I also am with the majority in preferring an aisle seat. Bulkhead aisle if I can snag it. I'm middling tall but have the leg length of an even taller person so leg room rules all.

#8 | Posted by TaoWarrior at 2019-09-18 08:03 PM | Reply

I almost always choose a window seat. I pee before I get on the plane and I don't want people crawling overtop of me.

I like looking out the window during takeoff and landing, but once we get to cruising altitude I usually pull the shade.

#9 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2019-09-18 08:50 PM | Reply

Travel First Class, you bloody cheapsters.

You don't get these "little people problems" in First Class.

#10 | Posted by J_Tremain at 2019-09-19 12:29 AM | Reply

- Travel First Class, you bloody cheapsters.

Truth. We flew in first to San Fran for our anniversary. It's a pleasant experience for sure...very relaxing.

#11 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2019-09-19 12:35 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

"Travel First Class, you bloody cheapsters.
You don't get these "little people problems" in First Class.

#10 | POSTED BY J_TREMAIN AT 2019-09-19 12:29 AM "

I usually do because of my necessity for legroom (I'm 6'4", mostly legs) and the same window wars take place there as well. I accrued enough FF miles the years I worked offshore, upgrades are free. Sadly, I'm nearing the end of those, however.

Now Business class overseas is another story. Depending on the aircraft, one is usually immune to the light blight due to cocooning. And the free liquor (same as domestic first, of course) and classy wines and endless food puts one in a "who gives a ----"" mood.

#12 | Posted by goatman at 2019-09-19 12:46 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

"I usually upgrade to the "extra room" seats up front for like $15-25 bucks. That's worth it.

#11 | POSTED BY SHEEPLESCHISM "

All the years I worked offshore, I flew Continental, later United from San Antonio to New Orleans via Houston. Both segments of that route were 737s with the two seat row for the emergency exit row. Our flights were booked long enough in advance that I could go online and always get the seat behind the two seat row on the emergency exit. (that's the only time I opted for window seats) Back then there was no charge for it. So I literally had more legroom than first class or the bulkhead seat.

Can't do that anymore for free, though.

#13 | Posted by goatman at 2019-09-19 12:51 AM | Reply

Whoever has the window seat makes the rules. I know in this snowflake era this is a bad thing because it excludes the feelings of others even though anyone can use personal responsibility to get a window seat if they really want. But since sometimes it actually takes effort, the snowflakes are of course up in arms about it.

#14 | Posted by humtake at 2019-09-19 11:42 AM | Reply

"If they do, I suspect they may need to come up with some other terminology besides light and dark"

Jedi seating Sith seating

#15 | Posted by dibblda at 2019-09-19 12:43 PM | Reply

Travel First Class, you bloody cheapsters.

I do if it's available. Pretty small percentage of airports support planes with multi-tiered service.

#16 | Posted by REDIAL at 2019-09-20 03:01 AM | Reply

"Travel First Class, you bloody cheapsters.

#16 | POSTED BY REDIAL "

Class of service has nothing to do with what an airport can support. It is configuration inside the plane and any airline can configure it how they want. They can make it all first class or all economy or anything in between.

By "multi-tiered", I presume you mean the Airbus 380. You are right very few airports can support that plane, but First Class can be in any plane, not just the 380

#17 | Posted by goatman at 2019-09-20 07:31 AM | Reply

#9 | POSTED BY SHEEPLESCHISM

Exactly. I feel like I have travel days down to a science. TSA-precheck also helps to prevent unnecessary fondling when entering the terminal

#18 | Posted by GOnoles92 at 2019-09-20 10:01 AM | Reply