Thursday, September 19, 2019

Rich Lowry: Never before has a boon to public health been met with such hysteria and ingratitude. Vaping is almost all upside in comparison with traditional smoking, a wanton destroyer of health and lives, and yet the nation is in the grips of a panic about e-cigarettes.

Comments

What a sham. If this were an alert about ground turkey, we'd have the manufacturers name, production date, and specific product codes.

So far all I'm reading is: "Don't vape anything!" - This is BS, alarmist, and unnecessarily casting a wide net. There must be an agenda.

Big *cough* Tobacco *cough*

#1 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2019-09-19 12:57 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

I think it's the huge cloud of visible vapor coming out of a person's mouth that is the big turn off, especially when done in an establishment that doesn't allow smoking tobacco.

#2 | Posted by goatman at 2019-09-19 01:03 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Probably because vapers always look like self absorbed douche bags.

#3 | Posted by jpw at 2019-09-19 01:06 AM | Reply | Funny: 1 | Newsworthy 1

I'll admit that I roll my eyes at the vape bros blowing yuge clouds wearing ski beanies in the heat of summer.

But I haven't smoked a cigarette in 2 years, and I'm courteous in public as though I'm smoking.

I'm just miffed that they're blanketing the entire industry instead of pointing at the specific culprits.

#4 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2019-09-19 01:36 AM | Reply

#4 Go ahead and smoke cigarettes. You aren't falling for nanny state science hysteria and fake news are you? What your afraid of?

#5 | Posted by bored at 2019-09-19 05:07 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Fat Nixon's news conference about this was pure comedy.

He claimed kids are coming home and saying "Mom I want to try vaping."

He is truly a moron.

Good job GOP, you elected the perfect person to represent you.

#6 | Posted by Nixon at 2019-09-19 07:02 AM | Reply

pointing at the specific culprits. #4 | POSTED BY SHEEPLESCHISM

I think this stems from people doing DIY stuff to their devices/juices:(

#7 | Posted by GOnoles92 at 2019-09-19 07:53 AM | Reply

#4 yeah I get it. I quit only because I joined a study testing the efficacy of several methods and got free quit aids (ie gum, patches, medication) and counseling.

Truthfully it was the counseling that helped the most. Between the structure and sense of not wanting to let them down and having somebody along for the ride, I found it much much easier than previous attempts. Only used the aid for about two weeks.

#8 | Posted by jpw at 2019-09-19 08:11 AM | Reply

Big *cough* Tobacco *cough*

#1 | Posted by SheepleSchism

Time to update your knowledge base on Big Tobacco. For example look at Juul who seems to be at the heart of this so far...

Big tobacco takes things that are bad for you and makes them far worse and more addictive if allowed. It isn't just "tobacco" in cigarettes and hasn't been for years.

#9 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2019-09-19 12:17 PM | Reply

I think this stems from people doing DIY stuff to their devices/juices:(

#7 | Posted by GOnoles92

Only in a few cases. Most are tied to Juul. If I am not mistaken they have twice the nicotine of a cigarette.

#10 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2019-09-19 12:19 PM | Reply

#8 | Posted by jpw

Would you say accountability to someone then?

#11 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2019-09-19 12:20 PM | Reply

#12 | Posted by lfthndthrds at 2019-09-19 12:33 PM | Reply

... Never before has a boon to public health ...

I'd not call vaping a "boon to public health," as that would be using a similar level of hysteria.

Fact is, we don't yet know the long term public health effects of vaping.

That is why I think, for example, New York over-stepped with their recent move towards banning flavored e-cigs.

There's no evidence to back up the need for such a ban.

#13 | Posted by LampLighter at 2019-09-19 12:42 PM | Reply

Just treat them like cigarettes. They aren't being treated that way and I *do not* want to breath in someone else's drug cloud.

#14 | Posted by dibblda at 2019-09-19 12:47 PM | Reply

Nicotine suppresses Appetite. If it's a choice between vaping and 40,000 monthly obesity deaths, let 'em vape.

#15 | Posted by 6thPersona at 2019-09-19 12:58 PM | Reply

I quit nicotine completely (having switched to vaping for about 3 years) 3 years ago. Absolutely fool proof method I used. I'd recommend it to ANYONE.

I was in a coma for 2 1/2 weeks. Woke up, NO CRAVINGS!

#16 | Posted by RevDarko at 2019-09-19 01:01 PM | Reply

"This is off topic just a little but the same type of hysteria. Saw an article yesterday citing concerns of marijuana farms polluting the air with smells.

#12 | POSTED BY LFTHNDTHRDS "

Funny. I could live with that kind of smell. Although I rarely smoke pot anymore (once or twice a year or so) I actually think a nice, sticky, and oily unburned bud smells very nice.

#17 | Posted by goatman at 2019-09-19 01:09 PM | Reply

#8 | Posted by jpw

Would you say accountability to someone then?

#11 | Posted by GalaxiePete

Hmmm I wouldn't say accountability as there wasn't any judgement or consequences to a slip up.

I think it was more having a neutral party I had to admit it to, which gave me a sense of shame (for lack of a better term). Of course central to it was my desire to actually quit.

#18 | Posted by jpw at 2019-09-19 01:13 PM | Reply

Big *cough* Tobacco *cough*

#1 | POSTED BY SHEEPLESCHISM AT 2019-09-19 12:57 AM | FLAG:

Big Tobacco owns the vape companies. They just bought them like Big Beer bought all the biggest Craft Beer brands.

Anti-vape lobbying comes from anti-tobacco lobbyists. They're one in the same. If all tobacco disappeared tomorrow do you think these groups would just disappear? lol, no. Lobbying is big business.

#19 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2019-09-19 01:13 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Kids are vaping and dying. The all admit to not knowing *for sure if its vaping.
Please stick to the facts and leave the editorials to huffmypost.

#20 | Posted by phesterOBoyle at 2019-09-19 01:15 PM | Reply

I think the anti vape thing comes in large part from its appeal to kids with its tasty sounding flavors. I'm 30 so I dont know much, bit I know more than a lot of you...smoking isn't as cool with the youth as it was when I was in high school. Vaping is way cooler than smoking is now with kids or was when I was in high school.

I think we should ban all tobacco except for chew, and then only allow the less sugary flavors. Unless they play baseball, kids dont like to chew.

#21 | Posted by Ottodog at 2019-09-19 02:32 PM | Reply

----, kids even buy nicotine free juice to vape. I never understood that one...

#22 | Posted by Ottodog at 2019-09-19 02:33 PM | Reply

I don't vape...

I know nothing about vaping...

Can only remember 2 years ago that vaping stores were opening up everywhere like Starbucks...

It's pretty much hysteria... the death rate is pretty low and they are not even sure what is causing it...

But clearly it has to be controlled...

And when you control something, you gotta tax it...

How High Are Cigarette Taxes in Your State? Cigarette taxes around the country are levied on top of the federal rate of $1.0066 per 20-pack of cigarettes. As of 2016, taxes accounted for almost half of the retail cost of a pack of cigarettes. On average, states charge $1.73 of taxes per pack of 20 cigarettes.

Never been inside a vape store but anyone that has.... ARE there any state or federal taxes on any of it ???

If not... you found the answer..... It's a Money grab....

#23 | Posted by Pegasus at 2019-09-19 02:35 PM | Reply

A bit less hysterical article:

Vaping-Sickness Cases Rise to 530 as U.S. Searches for Cause

...Federal health officials said 530 people have fallen ill from the mysterious vaping-related lung ailment that has raised alarms across the U.S., up from 380 confirmed and probable cases that the government reported last week.

Seven people have died from the illness, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said at a briefing Thursday. Officials said they still hadn't determined a cause of the ailment, and that there didn't appear to be one product or substance involved in all instances. Cases have been identified in 38 states.

"We are leaving no stone unturned," said Mitchell Zeller, director of the Center for Tobacco Products at the U.S. Food and Drug Administration, who spoke at the briefing.

Parallel to the public health investigation, the FDA's enforcement arm has also opened a criminal probe focusing on the vaping industry's supply chain, Zeller said....

The initial hope was that vaping could help curtail tobacco use, which leads to the more than 480,000 deaths a year in the U.S. Tobacco-related illnesses are the leading cause of preventable death in the world. But an explosion in the use of vaping products by teenagers -- many of whom said that they had never smoked cigarettes -- has led the FDA to call teenage vaping an epidemic.

The use of e-cigarettes by 10th and 12th graders doubled in the past two years, according to data released this week by the National Institute on Drug Abuse, part of the National Institutes of Health. According to the survey, 1 in 4 high school seniors reported vaping nicotine in the month prior, and 1 in 5 sophomores reported the same....

#24 | Posted by LampLighter at 2019-09-19 02:43 PM | Reply

Forgot the link for #24: www.bloomberg.com

#25 | Posted by LampLighter at 2019-09-19 02:49 PM | Reply

Nicotine repackaged is still addictive.Cig companies and drug companies now have new competition for the nicotine addicts dollar.

#26 | Posted by Scotty at 2019-09-19 03:59 PM | Reply

I dunno, a bunch of 18 -30 yo laided-up in pulmonary distress is a pretty good point.

#27 | Posted by fresno500 at 2019-09-20 11:27 AM | Reply

Lots of people die from a legal food being contaminated = manufacturer recall
A few people die from illegal vape juices = BAN ALL VAPING!!!!!!!

Uh huh.

#28 | Posted by humtake at 2019-09-20 12:05 PM | Reply

Lots of people die from a legal food being contaminated = manufacturer recall
A few people die from illegal vape juices = BAN ALL VAPING!!!!!!!
Uh huh.

#28 | POSTED BY HUMTAKE AT 2019-09-20 12:05 PM | REPLY

they recall the product that is contaminated. In the food industry it is food from one source and the contaminate is something not normally in the product.If beef is contaminated with salmonella you can clean the production facility and eliminate it and enjoy your beef.

The problem with vape juice is that it is the contaminant that causes the problem is the vape juice itself. It is sold as a safe alternative to smoking by the same people who denied any connection between smoking and cancer.

#29 | Posted by hatter5183 at 2019-09-20 01:42 PM | Reply

Posted by hatter5183

There are several reports that suggested the affected people were smoking THC in a juice that contained Vitamin E, not standard nicotine vape juice.

#30 | Posted by AMERICANUNITY at 2019-09-20 04:11 PM | Reply

The Ridiculous Campaign Against Vaping

Addict defends his addiction.

shocker

#31 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2019-09-20 06:53 PM | Reply

#19 | Posted by sitzkrieg

No surprise the only lobbyists republicans complain about are the ones trying to save lives instead of the ones killing life on earth that trump chose to run the country.

#32 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2019-09-20 06:54 PM | Reply

I thought I read through the thread BUT no one mentioned this:

Some of them were trying to vape bath salts (IE, K2, "spice," and even "Flakka" (Zombie).) That --- blew up in their lungs. Thesis why NY State shut it down quickly. But the state doesn't have anyone to enforce the ban. So Billy Jim Bob from Heehawland, NY will continue to smoke it until his lungs burst.

#33 | Posted by Goose_Boils at 2019-09-21 10:02 AM | Reply

Just in case some knuckle head cries "Source!"

here's your source, pendejo.

#34 | Posted by Goose_Boils at 2019-09-21 10:07 AM | Reply