Friday, September 20, 2019

In a national survey of employers that we at Northeastern University recently conducted, a strong majority of HR leaders said that the value of educational credentials in hiring has either increased (48%) or held steady (29%) over the last five years.

Comments

#1 | Posted by Hagbard_Celine at 2019-09-20 03:49 PM | Reply

I may have read that headline wrong... certainly that was true in the '70's.

#2 | Posted by Corky at 2019-09-20 07:25 PM | Reply

"The more people get degrees the more degrees will become necessary for even basic entry level positions where all the job skills are learned on site. A degree is just a benchmark that shows you can get through a certain amount of BS and survive. That you can persevere and meet deadlines mostly.

#1 | POSTED BY HAGBARD_CELINE "

I am one or two courses away from a BA, and have been for 30 years. I frittered my GA Bill away on basket weaving courses just for the free money. I had a very good job making very good money. I proved myself in the workplace. I doubt seriously if 6 more hours of college would have changed me a bit. It's not like the Scarecrow being given a piece of paper by the Wizard and magic happens.

#3 | Posted by goatman at 2019-09-20 07:41 PM | Reply

#2 CORKY
Yeah, that was the way I read it too.

#4 | Posted by 6thPersona at 2019-09-20 07:42 PM | Reply

Meanwhile cons are shunning higher education.

#5 | Posted by BruceBanner at 2019-09-20 09:28 PM | Reply

"Meanwhile cons are shunning higher education.

#5 | POSTED BY BRUCEBANNER "

Looks like smooth sailing and fair skies for the proggies, then.

#6 | Posted by goatman at 2019-09-20 09:31 PM | Reply

>a strong majority of HR leaders
so, total idiots and/or grievance studies majors. Leftists want more barely-educated, wholly-indoctrinated youths fresh out of their marxist brainwashing facilities almost as much as they want to import replacements for your vote.

#7 | Posted by berserkone at 2019-09-21 12:29 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

I've been saying this for years. You make the most money from the neck up.

It's popular amongst the trodgylodytes to downplay education. After all, it's their enemy. In ConservaDunce world science is some kind of indoctrination and coopted by government. It's why they're so ignorant about how scientific consensus on subjects such as AGW work. Why not, blogs and YouTube videos told them so.

#8 | Posted by zarnon at 2019-09-21 09:43 AM | Reply

>a strong majority of HR leaders

#7 | POSTED BY BERSERKONE AT 2019-09-21 12:29 AM | FLAG:

But I bet you're proud to say which schools Trump and his cabinet graduated from. Do you not find that ironic?

#9 | Posted by BruceBanner at 2019-09-21 09:55 AM | Reply

Everyone should be an autodidact, and everyone should have a college degree.

Glad to settle this question.

#10 | Posted by Zed at 2019-09-21 09:58 AM | Reply

#7 | POSTED BY BERSERKONE AT 2019-09-21 12:29 AM | REPLY

So you are saying leftist indoctrination is why they earn $1 million more over their lifetimes than non-grads?

#11 | Posted by hatter5183 at 2019-09-21 01:43 PM | Reply

Kinda depends what the degree is in.

#12 | Posted by Sniper at 2019-09-21 01:53 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

I stayed high throughout my education, so I guess I got the most value. Sweet!

#13 | Posted by lee_the_agent at 2019-09-21 02:23 PM | Reply

POSTED BY LEE_THE_AGENT

"The Value of Education Is Staying High"

Gotta love dangling modifiers.

#14 | Posted by goatman at 2019-09-21 02:43 PM | Reply

That's why I wear a longer coat.

#15 | Posted by lee_the_agent at 2019-09-21 02:51 PM | Reply | Funny: 2

There is a huge need for food-water-energy people. Nexus thinking. They can't hire enough people in computer science.

#16 | Posted by horstngraben at 2019-09-21 07:36 PM | Reply

The ten colleges with the most alumni in the top job at Fortune 500 companies were Harvard University, Cornell University, Pennsylvania State University, Texas A&M University, US Military Academy, University of Notre Dame, University of Wisconsin-Madison, Princeton University, Stanford University, and Miami University.

Proud to be a badger

#17 | Posted by hatter5183 at 2019-09-21 08:09 PM | Reply

It's popular amongst the trodgylodytes to downplay education.

Of course.

They can't cut it and they know it.

So they lash out at those who can.

And those who do do better in the long run without destroying their bodies in the process.

#18 | Posted by jpw at 2019-09-22 12:13 AM | Reply

I stay high as much as possible. I feel there is great value in being high. You can see better.

Also, then you conservoretards all seem normal.

#19 | Posted by donnerboy at 2019-09-22 10:52 AM | Reply